As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hi! My name is... (or "Why I hate anyone with more than 1 'X' in their name")

1789101113»

• artemis.daeartemis.dae Registered User new member
    edited January 2009
    Artemis explains herself. Dae is my retired wood-elf monk/rogue/drunken master. In Tolkien elven, Dae means "Shadow"; in Dungeons and Dragons elven, it means "Light". Guess who's true neutral?

Lack of proper capitalization and spacing are courtesy of the forum's sheer volume of registered participants - sorry about that.

First time caller, here; glad to meet you all, glad to lurk for the next few months.

artemis.dae on
    Nothing is as easy as it looks
    Everything takes longer than expected
    And if anything can possibly go wrong,
    It will, at the worst possible moment.
  • FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    mine makes no sense - I needed a handle and threw some words together

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Trojan35Trojan35 I want Too Human 2. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My name makes it kinda obvious I'm a USC grad (or a big fan of condoms).

I hate anyone with the name Master Chief.

Trojan35 on
  • K7 AvengerK7 Avenger __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    It's a gun from one of the best FPS games ever made, Perfect Dark.

K7 Avenger on
    Irish+Assasin+J.png
  • Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    1)As a kid I wrote a massive epic about a future dystopia about an atheistic totalitarian city state (New York), and Ethan, who overdosed on a drug and came back with clairvoyance and a great amount of psychic ability, and who then created a massive crusade to destroy the city-state. As I great older the story became darker, until the crusaders, originally a ragtag band of intellectuals, rebels and other dissidents given a common cause by religion, because as xenophobic and genocidal as their enemies, to the degree where the end of the first book (opression) has Ethan's leiutennant realize how to solve the heating problems the Crusade has--human combustion. I never finished it, but I generally suggested that Ethan was allowing the Crusade to become too violent in order to create a hatred of extremism in humanity (God Emperor style).

Since then, I've come more and more to associate Ethan Smith with the snarky fuck I am in forums.

2)Fuck yes I do

3)a friend of mine chose "Hairs on a Bobbin" as his Counterstrike name, and it was the luckiest name he ever had.

edit-upon reading this, holy shit I was a fucked up teen.

Ethan Smith on
  • commathecommathe Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Zuldane wrote: »
    Mine is a derivative of a death knight from one of the Warcraft games (either 2 or 3, I forget now). Anyway, been using it since day 1 of Everquest launch.

Hah, I remember you. I played on Tarew Marr also.

commathe on
  • Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    redhalo wrote: »

On a related note, both to your comment and the thread; forum avatars and sigs. Does anyone else find that they get so used to seeing someone's avatar that when they change it it feels like you're talking to a different person? As if it becomes the actual image of them in your mind. When I went to PAX and met up with a bunch of people from here all I could think were things like "Hmm, I thought you'd look more your avatar". I find it very interesting that with this great internet culture that many of us take our image online as seriously as in the real world.

On steamfriends this is the worst.
    Changing the name to be goofy for a bit is bad enough, and to me, changing the avatar is a bit worse, but QUIT CHANGING YOUR NAME AND AVATAR AT THE SAME TIME.

Oh, and for the record, my avatar is a self portrait.

Roland_tHTG on
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    redhalo wrote: »

On a related note, both to your comment and the thread; forum avatars and sigs. Does anyone else find that they get so used to seeing someone's avatar that when they change it it feels like you're talking to a different person? As if it becomes the actual image of them in your mind. When I went to PAX and met up with a bunch of people from here all I could think were things like "Hmm, I thought you'd look more your avatar". I find it very interesting that with this great internet culture that many of us take our image online as seriously as in the real world.

On steamfriends this is the worst.
    Changing the name to be goofy for a bit is bad enough, and to me, changing the avatar is a bit worse, but QUIT CHANGING YOUR NAME AND AVATAR AT THE SAME TIME.

Oh, and for the record, my avatar is a self portrait.
    For some reason, this makes me want to change my avatar.

Monger on
  • McPudgyMcPudgy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Kris_xK wrote: »

Even my name gets whittled down. I'll get Kris, "K", "X", and "xK". And thats not even counting all the mean things Panny calls me.

I can't really complain tho, as I do it to. Silconstew becomes "Silk", Disruptiveforce becomes "Dforce", Sheep becomes "shithead", etc etc.

I never really thought about it until you guys brought it up, but I do this a lot in real life too. Apparently names are hard.

I know what you mean... I have a few friends in RL whose names start with "D". At one point we had a DnD game that they were both involved in. Lovingly, of course, we nicknamed the younger little D and the older Big D.

Although in stark comparison, I do find it interesting how many name get lengthened...

Same game, the GM, Paul... always called Pauly in the eternal reference of whose turn it was to bring the dew.

McPudgy on