As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cross-Country Supertrip 2009: There and Back Again

Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right NowDrives a BuickModerator mod
edited September 2009 in PAX Archive
CCST09.png

Well, it's summer now, and that means planning has gone into high gear. I'm working on getting this year's handbook together, and this time I intend on making it handbook sized. Our routes and schedules are pretty firmly set with buffer time as advertised (buffer time allows us to be hours behind schedule and still on time, it's pretty amazing). The routes/schedules come from multiple departure points that all join together to make one long, geographically diverse line of cars to Seattle. For those of you who are new to us, we drive to PAX, across I-80, I-90 and I-94, with other routes coming in from other places in a long, continuous line in the time span of about two days. So saddle up and join us! Interested? Have questions? Leave a post and I'll get back to you as soon as my schedule allows (which is anything from immediate to twelve hours). Check out my profile for my contact info if you have a question you don't want to ask the entire forum, or just send me a private message.

What It Is
The Cross-Country Supertrip is our pilgramage to the Penny Arcade Expo from points east. Our primary route runs the northernmost portions of the U.S. However, we have had people from points south join up to the main caravan, which is why I have already scheduled routes coming from multiple points across the eastern United States and from Canada. For those of you who are unfamiliar, we have done this for three years previous and had a great time doing it. One high point about traveling in a caravan is safety in numbers. When it's four in the morning at a travel station in the middle of nowhere, it's good to know twenty or more people in the immediate area, although it does make for long lines at the food establishments in areas far from normal civilization (I'm looking at you, now defunct Glendive, Montana McDonalds), but proper planning can help alleviate such things (props to Fargo's Jimmy John's and Glendive's Pizza Hut). It's also a lot of fun to watch all the cars changing lanes late at night, it's like a giant road snake. So, I hope you'll join us. Onward, forward and THAT WAY!

How It Works
The Cross-Country Supertrip, or CCST, is divided by stops known as Waypoints. A waypoint is our official stop to get gas, rest and meet up with other Supertrippers along the way. Each waypoint is allotted so much time to allow us to stretch and rest. The points are separated on an average of 250 miles (sometimes less), but not more than 300 miles. After several years of doing this, we've discovered that most people will need to use the bathroom at about half that distance. Those stops aren't explicitly scheduled, but extra time is worked into the schedule for this purpose. Everybody is responsible for finding a ride and making your way to the waypoints, should you not be taking your own car. Payment comes in the form of your share of gas, snacks, etc. Specifics can be arranged with the group leader of your vehicle.

If you want to be added to our list of participants, drop me a line to be added to the list. Use the following format for sending information.

Group Name: Each car needs a unique team name for radio purposes. If names have not been chosen by a certain date close to PAX, I will choose one for you.
Group Leader(s): These are the group's go-to guys. Usually the most active on the forums/internet. Main responsibility lies in relaying status updates between their group and the CCST and for getting their group together to depart from their location.
Vehicle: Year, Make, Model, MPG, Miles per Tank and if it's a rental, owned by you or owned by somebody else
Max. Desired People: Maximum number of seats that you want to fill (including your own)
Starting Location: City, State/Province where the vehicle is departing from
First Waypoint: The first of our pre-selected stopping points where the vehicle will stop.
Riders: The people who will be in the vehicle. This section is for confirmed riders. See below for unconfirmed. (fill out this section once per person in the vehicle)
Name: Person A
First Waypoint: Waypoint A
Driving?: Yes/No
E-Mail: person@webmaster.com
Cell: For the CCST Phone List. This information will be collected via e-mail or private message. Don't post your cell number publicly in the thread. Every car will require at least one cell phone. Numbers will be collected in the summer for the final list.

Unconfirmed Riders: Number of unconfirmed riders not listed here (people who say they want to go but haven't made any final commitments yet)
Space Available: Seats still available in your vehicle

A WORD TO THE LURKERS: Forum registration is currently disabled due to a rash of spammers recently. As a result, some of you who may want to join on, are unable to register and post as such. If you would like to join the CCST and are unable to register/post, drop me an email at moe.fwacky at gmail dot com and I'll make sure you are added to the roster.

What You'll Need
A Working Vehicle - This is a long trip, and we don't want to scrape your steaming wreckage off the side of the road, so do basic maintenance before you go, meaning: change engine oil, check air filter, top off engine coolant and washer fluid. Check road and spare tire pressures and tread ware and bring extra oil, coolant, fluids (brake, power steering, anything that ends in "fluid") to top off on the road with.

A Cell Phone - You or one of your riders will need to be carrying a phone.

A Two-Way Radio - At least five-mile range. These help us keep in communication on the road when cell usage is unavailable or impractical. These are particularly useful during night driving. Many have commented that the ongoing radio chatter has helped to keep them awake in otherwise exhausting situations.

The CCST Handbook - This is a full guide on how to Supertrip. Qs23 and I wrote this up for last year and it worked out quite well in getting people up to speed on how we do things before we hit the road. It will also contain a full contact list of people on the Supertrip. It will be e-mailed to you shortly before departure.

A Gallon Jug of Water - Good for you or your car. Other drinkables are good, but can't go in your car

Non-perishible snackables - Food for the road, beef jerky is a good mainstay along with trail mixes and anything else you might like. Stay away from ideas like a cooler filled with sandwich fixin's. It may sound like a cool idea, but takes up way too much space and is very impractical, especially when you can buy a sandwich or other, more filling foods about every five hours or so.

There's a more complete list that will be posted in the summer before PAX. Stay tuned.

Frequently Asked Questions
Q: It's hella expensive to eat and gas a car for the miles it's going to take to get there. Is it really that much cheaper than flying?
A: There's a formula to calculate the gas costs. Distance divided by miles per gallon, and the result of that divided by the national average cost of gas (or at least the average from where you are to Seattle). As for eating, with the money you save not flying, you can afford to eat and still save money. It ends up costing one car, round trip, a little less than a flight, round trip. But that one car is usually split between three or more people, and that's what makes a big difference.

Q: How much for a seat if I have no car but want to come along?
A: That depends on the vehicle and how gas is being divided up, contact the person you're riding with for details.

Q: How can I help make this baby happen?
A: Number One thing anybody can do to help make this happen is word of mouth, give people links to the official Penny Arcade Expo website and to this thread. Additionally, if you have any skills to offer, either on the road or off, let me know and I'll find something for you to do.

Q: What hotel should I stay at?
A: We'll know that when the guys at Penny Arcade announce what hotels they've negotiated deals with. Don't bother reserving a room until after they announce the hotels and discount codes

Q: When is the Cross-Country Supertrip going to arrive in Seattle?
A: We're aiming for a Thursday, September 3 arrival at about 1pm Pacific Time.

WholeMap.jpg
Protip: It's not as complex as this image makes it look

And here, for your reading pleasure, Lessons from Geese
So, I've found something that pertains to the CCST that might help convince some of you who are still on the fence, as it were. It's called Lessons from Geese and it was transcribed from a speech given by Angeles Arien at the 1991 Organizational Development Network.
Fact 1
As each goose flaps its wings, it creates an “uplift” for the birds that follow. By flying in a “V” formation, the whole flock has 71% greater flying range than if each bird flew alone.

Lesson
People who share a common direction and sense of community can get where they are going quicker and easier, because they are traveling on the thrust of each other.
How this pertains to the CCST
Traveling together is easier and feels faster because we're all oriented on a common goal. Also you save gas mileage riding in the wake of the vehicles in front of you.
Fact 2
When a goose falls out of formation, it suddenly feels the drag and resistance of flying alone. It quickly moves back into formation to take advantage of the lifting power of the bird immediately in front of it.

Lesson
If we have as much sense as a goose, we stay in formation with those headed where we want to go. We are willing to accept their help and give our help to others.
This is pretty self-explanatory
Fact 3
When the lead bird tires, it rotates back into the formation to take advantage of the lifting power of the bird immediately in front of it.

Lesson
It pays to take turns doing the hard tasks and sharing leadership. As with geese, people are interdependent on each others’ skills, capabilities, and unique arrangement of gifts, talents, or resources.
Don't be afraid of driver rotation. The people in your car are with you all the way, when you're tired, allow somebody else to drive while you rest. Everybody needs rest, and you have other skills that could be put to use when you're not behind the wheel.
Fact 4
The geese flying in formation honk to encourage those up front to keep up their speed.

Lesson
We need to make sure our honking is encouraging. In groups where there is encouragement, the production is much greater. The power of encouragement (to stand by one’s heart or core values and to encourage the heart and core values of others) is the quality of honking we seek.
Radio chatter is golden, especially during the later hours. Talk to each other and feel free to make jokes at the landscape's expense. I've been told in the past, that when everybody in the car is alseep, the only thing that kept the driver going was the fact that there were other drivers in the same situation within easy communications range (as long as your FRS radio has a 5-mile range).
Fact 5
When a goose gets sick, wounded, or shot down, two geese drop out of formation and follow it down to help and protect it. They stay with it until it dies or is able to fly again. Then, they launch out with another formation to catch up with the flock.

Lesson
If we have as much sense as geese, we will stand by each other in difficult times as well as when we’re strong.
We help each other out. If a car should drop behind the group due to some unforeseen catastrophe--such as a tire blowout--we stay in communication, find out the situation, and slow down the pace to allow them a chance to catch up. If it becomes plain that they won't catch up before the next waypoint, we give them some extra time at that stop so that they can meet back up with the group.

I hope this has been insightful.

How Much Will Gas Cost
Okay, here it is, the Energy Information Administration's estimates for gas this year.
Source: http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/cfapps/STEO_Query/steotables.cfm?periodType=Monthly&startYear=2009&startQuarter=1&startMonth=1&endYear=2009&endQuarter=4&endMonth=12&tableNumber=10&noScroll=false

Gasoline Regular Grade Retail Price Incl Taxes U.S. Average for September 2009: $2.299 (not sure I believe this right now)

Typically our price is a few cents higher, here's those figures.
US Average August 2006: $2.952
Our Average 2006: $3.00

US Average August 2007: $2.786
Our Average 2007: $2.93

US Average August 2008: $3.779
Our Average 2008: $3.80

That gives a difference of as little as 2.1 cents and as many as 14.4 cents. Given recent developments, I've decided to run my high-end estimates at $3/gal. For help estimating the cost of gas for your vehicle, bigwah has created this Google spreadsheet, just make a copy and change the yellow fields to suit your vehicle.

The People
(organized by first waypoint)
  • Fultonville, New York
    Group Name: U.S.S. Minion
    Group Leader(s): VThornheart
    Vehicle: Dodge Caravan
    Max. Desired People: 4
    Starting Location: Dover, NH
    First Waypoint: Fultonville, NY
    Riders
    Name: VThornheart
    Driving?: Yes
    E-Mail:on file
    Cell: on file

Name:
    Jeff (ukiyo e)
    Driving?: yes
    E-Mail: on file
    Unconfirmed Riders: 1
    Space Available: 1
  • Du Bois, PA
    Group Name: Super Awesome Villians Forever (SAVF)
    Group Leader(s): mentok1982 (Steve McBarnes)
    Vehicle: Silver 2005 Hyundai Accent, 30 MPG, 11.9 gallon fuel tank, owned by me.
    Max. Desired People: 3
    Starting Location: Baltimore, MD
    First Waypoint: Du Bois, PA
    Riders
    Name: mentok1982 (Steve)
    First Waypoint:
    Du Bois, PA
    Name: Geekgrrl (Shannon)
    First Waypoint: South Bend, IN

E-Mail: needed
    Cell: needed
    Unconfirmed Riders: 0
    Space Available: 1
  • Elyria, Ohio
    Group Name: The Captains of Team Awesome
    Group Leader(s): Moe Fwacky, randomguy
    Vehicle: Chevy Conversion Van (rental)
    Max. Desired People: 5
    Starting Location: Lakewood, OH
    First Waypoint: Elyria, OH
    Riders
    Name: Moe Fwacky
    E-Mail: moe.fwacky@gmail.com

Name: Spook

Name: Sarah
    Driving?: Maybe

Name: DaNerd
    Driving?: No

Name: Cuzza
    First Waypoint: South Bend, IN

Space Available: could squeeze in 1 more
  • De Forest, Wisconsin
    Group Name: Team Ramrod
    Group Leader(s): Bob Jackass
    Vehicle: 2006 Scion xB, ~30 MPG (~300 miles per tank)
    Starting Location: Northern Chicago 'burbs
    First Waypoint: De Forest, WI
    Riders
    Name: Ken (Bob Jackass)
    Name: Mark (Werezwolf)
    Name: Rius (Howard)
    Space Available: 0
  • Rogers, Minnesota
    Group Name: Geeks on Parade
    Group Leader(s): DKM (Greg)
    Vehicle: Mini-van rental through Hertz in my name. Advertised as a 2008 Toyota Sienna, but probably a 2008 Ford something or other. Averaging 20mpg. Planning on having 3 drivers on the rental contract.
    Max. Desired People: 6
    Starting Location: Minneapolis, MN.
    First Waypoint: Rogers, MN
    Riders
    Name: Greg (dkm)
    Name: Brian
    Name: Patrick
    E-Mail: TBD
    Name: Rachel

Name: Angie
    Driving?: Potentially - Backup in case of last minute issues

Unconfirmed Rider: Jeremiah
    Name: Jeremiah
    Driving?: Potentially - Backup in case of last minute issues
  • Houston, Texas
    Group Name: Epic Default
    Group Leader(s): JonnyNero
    Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius, 4 Cyl, 40-45 mpg
    Max. Desired People: 3
    Starting Location: Houston, TX
    First Waypoint: Denton, TX
    Riders
    Name: JonnyNero
    First Waypoint: Houston, TX
    Name: ClickPicTony
    Name: Michael
    Cell:

The 3rd Ground Fleet of the Pacific Northwest
  • Ellensburg, Washington
    Group Name: Stealth Ninja Pirates (formerly Red Rocket)
    Group Leader(s): Liger
    Vehicle: 2001 VW New Beetle 1.8L Turbo, 21mpg city, 30mpg highway
    Starting Location: PAX (that's right, driving east to go west)
    First Waypoint: Ellensburg, WA
    Riders
    Name: Accalon, MeeOk and Emorimiku
    Driving: No
    Unconfirmed Riders: drunk!Macca, other aussies

Group Name: Selah Anti-Zombie Squad or SAZS
    Group Leader(s): Brett (teh1337ninj4)
    Vehicle: Jeep, Grand Cherokee Laredo,18-23 MPG, owned by me
    Starting Location: Selah, Washington
    First Waypoint: Ellensburg WA
    Riders
    Name: Brett
    Name: Todd
    Driving?: yes
    Cell:on file
    Name: Jake
    Name: Jake J.
    Driving?: ??

Group Name: Zombie Ninja Land Yacht
    Group Leader(s): Theros
    Vehicle: 2000 dodge intrepid
    Starting Location: Richmond, BC
    Riders
    Name: eye-shuh
    Driving: No
    Space Available: 2

Group Name: CCST +1
    Group Leader(s): plusone
    Vehicle: 2000 Ford Taurus
    Starting Location: Tri-Cities, WA
    Riders: might possibly be just me ;]
    Unconfirmed Riders: BrokenAngel, Recruit, Mandarista
    Space Available: unsure

E6LkoFK.png

Moe Fwacky on

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2009
    The Routes
    These are the northern routes. They all meet in Cleveland, Ohio with the exception of the one originating in Canada and running through Michigan. That one meets at South Bend, Indiana.

New York City/New Jersey to Fargo, North Dakota
    MapA.jpg
    Leg 1 - North Bergen, NJ to Du Bois, PA
    Departure Point: Thind Travel Plaza, 1810 Tonnelle Ave, North Bergen, NJ 07047
    Departure Time: Tuesday, September 1, 03:30 EDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 284 mi/5h00m (0:30 Buffer)
    Arrival Point: Pilot Travel Center, 1742 Rich Hwy, Du Bois, PA 15801
    Arrival Time: Tuesday, September 1, 08:30 EDT
    Downtime: 1 hour

Leg 2 - Du Bois, PA to Elyria, OH
    Departure Point: Pilot Travel Center, 1742 Rich Hwy, Du Bois, PA 15801
    Departure Time: Tuesday, September 1, 09:30 EDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 190 mi/3h30m (0:21 Buffer)
    Arrival Point: Speedway Superamerica, 895 Lorain Blvd. Elyria, OH
    Arrival Time: Tuesday, September 1, 13:00 EDT

Leg 3 - Elyria, OH to South Bend, IN
    Departure Point: Speedway Superamerica, 895 Lorain Blvd. Elyria, OH
    Departure Time: Tuesday, September 1, 14:00 EDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 232 mi/3h30m (-0:06 Buffer)
    Arrival Point: Pilot Travel Center, 6424 Brick Rd. South Bend, IN 46628
    Arrival Time: Tuesday, September 1, 17:30 EDT

Leg 4 - South Bend, IN to De Forest, WI
    Departure Point: Pilot Travel Center, 6424 W Brick Rd. South Bend, IN 46628
    Departure Time: Tuesday, September 1, 18:30 EDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 256 mi/4h30m (0:25 Buffer)
    Arrival Point: Travel Centers of America 5901 US Highway 51, De Forest, WI 53532
    Arrival Time: Tuesday, September 1, 22:00 CDT

Leg 5 - De Forest, WI to Rogers, MN
    Departure Point: Travel Centers of America 5901 US Highway 51, De Forest, WI 53532
    Departure Time: Wednesday, September 1, 23:00 CDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 284 mi/5h00m (0:22 Buffer)
    Arrival Point: Travel Center of America 13400 Rogers Dr, Rogers, MN
    Arrival Time: Wednesday, September 2, 04:00 CDT

Leg 6 - Rogers, MN to Fargo, ND
    Departure Point: Travel Center of America 13400 Rogers Dr, Rogers, MN
    Departure Time: Wednesday, September 2, 05:00 CDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 213 mi/3h30m (0:22 Buffer)
    Arrival Point: Petro Travel Center, 4510 19th Ave SW, Fargo, ND 58103
    Arrival Time: Wednesday, September 2, 08:30 CDT
    Downtime: 2 hours, we will be getting lunch from Jimmy Johns and relaxing for lunch.
    Route continues in Fargo

Boston, Massachusetts to Fargo, North Dakota
    MAPA-2.jpg
    Leg 1 – Boston, MA to Fultonville, NY
    Departure Point: Commonwealth Sunoco, 850 Commonwealth Ave., Boston, MA
    Departure Time: Monday, August 31, 23:30 EDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 208 mi/3h30m (0:05 Buffer)
    Arrival Point: Travel Centers of America, 40 Riverside Dr. Fultonville, NY 12072
    Arrival Time: Tuesday, September 1, 03:00 EDT

Leg 2 – Fultonville, NY to Corfu, NY
    Departure Point: Travel Centers of America, 40 Riverside Dr. Fultonville, NY 12072
    Departure Time: Tuesday, September 1, 04:00 EDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 221 mi/4h00m (0:32 Buffer)
    Arrival Point: Flying J Travel Plaza, 8484 Alleghany Rd, Corfu, NY
    Arrival Time: Tuesday, September 1, 08:00 EDT

Leg 3 – Corfu, NY to Elyria, OH
    Departure Point: Flying J Travel Plaza, 8484 Alleghany Rd, Corfu, NY
    Departure Time: Tuesday, September 1, 09:00 EDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 241 mi/4h00m (0:04 Buffer)
    Arrival Point: Speedway Superamerica, 895 Lorain Blvd. Elyria, OH

Arrival Point: Travel Centers of America 5901 US Highway 51, De Forest, WI 53532

Departure Point: Travel Centers of America 5901 US Highway 51, De Forest, WI 53532

Downtime: 2 hours, we will be getting lunch from Jimmy Johns and relaxing for lunch.
    Route continues in Fargo

Ottawa, Ontario to Fargo, North Dakota
    MapB.jpg
    [FONT=&quot]Leg 1 - Bainsville, ON to Mississauga, ON[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Departure Point: Summerstown Petro-Pass, 6350 County Road 27, Williamstown, ON K0C 2E0
    Departure Time: Tuesday, September 1, 02:30 EDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 244 mi/4h30m
    Arrival Point: Flying J's 1400 Britannia Rd E, Mississauga, ON L4W 1C8
    Arrival Time: Tuesday, September 1, 07:00 EDT

Leg 2 - Mississauga, ON to Dexter, MI
    Departure Point: Flying J's 1400 Britannia Rd E, Mississauga, ON L4W 1C8
    Departure Time: Tuesday, September 1, 08:00 EDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 273mi/5h30m
    Arrival Point: Pilot Travel Center 195 Baker Rd Dexter, MI 48130
    Arrival Time: Tuesday, September 1, 13:30 EDT

Leg 3 - Dexter, MI to South Bend, IN
    Departure Point: Pilot Travel Center, 195 Baker Rd Dexter, MI 48130
    Departure Time: Tuesday, August 26, 14:30 EDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 165mi/3h00m

[/FONT]Route continues in Fargo

Greenville, Virginia to Fargo, North Dakota
    MapC.jpg
    Leg 1 - Greenville, VA to Nitro, WV
    Departure Point: Pilot Travel Center, 3541 Lee Jackson Hwy, Greenville, VA 24440
    Departure Time: Tuesday, September 1, 03:30 EDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 220 mi/4h00
    Arrival Point: Pilot Travel Center, 4304 1st Ave, Nitro, WV 25143
    Arrival Time: Tuesday, September 1, 07:30 EDT

Leg 2 - Nitro, WV to Elyria, OH
    Departure Point: Pilot Travel Center, 4304 1st Ave, Nitro, WV 25143
    Departure Time: Tuesday, September 1, 08:30 EDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 278 mi/4h30m
    Arrival Point: Speedway Superamerica, 895 Lorain Blvd. Elyria, OH 44035

Route continues in Fargo

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited January 2009
    These are the Southern Routes. They meet each other in either Foristell, MO or Faucett, MO

West Columbia, South Carolina to Fargo, North Dakota
    MapD.jpg
    Leg 1 - West Columbia, SC to Knoxville, TN
    Departure Point: Pilot Travel Center, 3008 Charleston Hwy, West Columbia, SC 29172
    Departure Time: Tuesday, September 1, 02:00 EDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 271mi/5h00m
    Arrival Point: Pilot Travel Center, 5508 Lonas Dr, Knoxville, TN 37909
    Arrival Time: Tuesday, September 1, 07:00 EDT

Leg 2 - Knoxville, TN to Oak Grove, KY
    Departure Point: Pilot Travel Center, 5508 Lonas Dr, Knoxville, TN 37909
    Departure Time: Tuesday, September 1, 08:00 EDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 227 mi/3h30m
    Arrival Point: Pilot Travel Center, 8190 Pembroke Oak Grove Rd, Oak Grove, KY 42262
    Arrival Time: Tuesday, September 1, 10:30 CDT

Leg 3 - Oak Grove, KY to Foristell, MO
    Departure Point: Pilot Travel Center, 8190 Pembroke Oak Grove Rd, Oak Grove, KY 42262
    Departure Time: Tuesday, September 1, 11:30 CDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 299 mi/5h00m
    Arrival Point: Travel Centers of America, 3265 N Service Rd E, Foristell, MO 63348
    Arrival Time: Tuesday, September 1, 16:30 CDT

Leg 4 - Foristell, MO to Faucett, MO
    Departure Point: Travel Centers of America, 3265 N Service Rd E, Foristell, MO 63348
    Departure Time: Tuesday, September 1, 17:30 CDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 245 mi/4h00m
    Arrival Point: Farris Truck Stop, 1303 Grand Dd Se, Faucett, MO 63348
    Arrival Time: Tuesday, September 1, 21:30 CDT

Leg 5 - Faucett, MO to Beresford, SD
    Departure Point: Farris Truck Stop, 1303 Grand Dd Se, Faucett, MO 63348
    Departure Time: Tuesday, September 1, 22:30 CDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 288 mi/4h30m
    Arrival Point: Jet Truck Plaza, 1501 W Cedar St, Beresford, SD 57004
    Arrival Time: Wednesday, September 2, 03:00 CDT

Leg 6 - Beresford, SD to Fargo, ND
    Departure Point: Jet Truck Plaza, 1501 W Cedar St, Beresford, SD 57004
    Departure Time: Wednesday, September 2, 04:00 CDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 270 miles/4h30m
    Route continues in Fargo

Reddick, Florida to Fargo, North Dakota
    MapE-2.jpg
    Leg 1 - Reddick, FL to De Funiak Springs, FL
    Departure Point: Petro Stopping Center, 7401 W Highway 318, Reddick, FL 32686
    Departure Time: Monday, August 31, 17:30 EDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 296 mi/4h30m
    Arrival Point: Great American Travel Plaza, 328 Green Acres Dr, De Funiak Springs, FL 32435
    Arrival Time: Monday, August 31, 21:00 CDT

Leg 2 - De Funiak Springs, FL to Hammond, LA
    Departure Point: Great American Travel Plaza, 328 Green Acres Dr, De Funiak Springs, FL 32435
    Departure Time: Monday, August 31, 22:00 CDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 265 mi/4h00m
    Arrival Point: Pilot Travel Center, 2111 SW Railroad Ave, Hammond, LA 70403
    Arrival Time: Tuesday, September 1, 02:00 CDT

Leg 3 - Hammond, LA to Winona, MS
    Departure Point: Pilot Travel Center, 2111 SW Railroad Ave, Hammond, LA 70403
    Departure Time: Tuesday, September 1, 03:00 CDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 224 mi/4h30m
    Arrival Point: Pilot Travel Center, 403 SW Frontage Rd, Winona, MS 38967
    Arrival Time: Tuesday, September 1, 07:30 CDT

Leg 4 - Winona, MS to West Memphis, AR
    Departure Point: Pilot Travel Center, 403 SW Frontage Rd, Winona, MS 38967
    Departure Time: Tuesday, September 1, 08:30 CDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 125 mi/2h00m
    Arrival Point: Pilot Travel Center, 800 Martin Luther King Dr, West Memphis, AR 72301
    Arrival Time: Tuesday, September 1, 10:30 CDT

Leg 5 - West Memphis, AR to Foristell, MO
    Departure Point: Pilot Travel Center, 800 Martin Luther King Dr, West Memphis, AR 72301
    Travel Distance/Time: 310 mi/5h00m
    Arrival Point: Travel Centers of America, 3265 N Service Rd E, Foristell, MO 63348
    Arrival Time: Tuesday, September 1, 16:30 CDT

Leg 6 - Foristell, MO to Faucett, MO
    Departure Point: Travel Centers of America, 3265 N Service Rd E, Foristell, MO 63348
    Travel Distance/Time: 245 mi/4h00m
    Arrival Time: Tuesday, September 1, 21:30 CDT

Leg 7 - Faucett, MO to Beresford, SD

Leg 8 - Beresford, SD to Fargo, ND
    Route continues in Fargo

Austin, Texas to Fargo, North Dakota
    MapE.jpg
    Leg 1 – Austin, TX to Dallas, TX

Departure Point: United Travel Center, 500 Canyon Ridge Dr, Austin, TX
    Departure Time: Tuesday, September 1, 07:00 CDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 228 mi/3h30m
    Arrival Point: View Truck Stop, 13239 S I-35, Valley View, TX 76272
    Arrival Time: Tuesday, August 26, 10:30 CDT

Leg 2 – Dallas, TX to Wellington, KS
    Departure Point: Valley View Truck Stop, 13239 S I-35, Valley View, TX 76272
    Travel Distance/Time: 279 mi/5h00m
    Arrival Point: Love’s Travel Stop 1106 N a St, Wellington, KS 67152
    Arrival Time: Tuesday, August 26, 16:30 CDT

Leg 3 – Wellington, KS to Faucett, MO
    Departure Point: Love’s Travel Stop, 1106 N a St, Wellington, KS 67152
    Travel Distance/Time: 249 mi/4h00m
    Arrival Time: Tuesday, August 26, 21:30 CDT

Leg 4 - Faucett, MO to Beresford, SD

Leg 5 - Beresford, SD to Fargo, ND
    Route continues in Fargo

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited January 2009
    All routes converge in Fargo, which is also about the halfway point for anybody making the long haul.

Fargo, North Dakota to Seattle, Washington

MapF.jpg
    Leg 1 - Fargo, ND to Bismarck, ND
    Departure Point: Petro Travel Center, 4510 19th Ave SW, Fargo, ND 58103
    Departure Time: Wednesday, September 2, 10:30 CDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 187 mi/3h00m (0:22 Buffer)
    Arrival Point: Grand Forks Travel Center, 3936 E Divide Ave. Bismarck, ND 58501
    Arrival Time: Wednesday, September 2, 13:30 CDT

Leg 2 - Bismarck, ND to Glendive, MT
    Departure Point: Grand Forks Travel Center, 3936 E Divide Ave. Bismarck, ND 58501
    Departure Time: Wednesday, September 2, 14:30 CDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 198 mi/3h00m (0:10 Buffer)
    Arrival Point: Trailstar Truck Stop, 11 Highway 16, Glendive, MT 59330
    Arrival Time: Wednesday, September 2, 16:30 MDT

Leg 3 - Glendive, MT to Billings, MT
    Departure Point: Trailstar Truck Stop, 11 Highway 16, Glendive, MT 59330
    Departure Time: Wednesday, September 2, 17:30 MDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 214 mi/3h30m (0:32 Buffer)
    Arrival Point: Flying J Travel Plaza, 2775 Old Hardin Rd. Billings, MT 59101
    Arrival Time: Wednesday, September 2, 21:00 MDT

Leg 4 - Billings, MT to Butte, MT
    Departure Point: Flying J Travel Plaza, 2775 Old Hardin Rd. Billings, MT 59101
    Departure Time: Wednesday, September 2, 22:00 MDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 235 mi/3h30m (0:11 Buffer)
    Arrival Point: Town Pump, 1000 Grizzly Trail, Butte, MT 59701
    Arrival Time: Thursday, September 3, 01:30 MDT

Leg 5 - Butte, MT to Post Falls, ID
    Departure Point: Town Pump, 1000 Grizzly Trail, Butte, MT 59701
    Departure Time: Thursday, September 3, 02:30 MDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 290 mi/4h30m (0:27 Buffer)
    Arrival Point: 3636 W 5th Ave, Post Falls, ID 83854
    Arrival Time: Thursday, September 3, 06:00 PDT

Leg 6 – Post Falls, ID to Ellensburg, WA
    Departure Point: 3636 W 5th Ave, Post Falls, ID 83854
    Departure Time: Thursday, September 3, 07:00 PDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 192 mi/3h00m (0:09 Buffer)
    Arrival Point: Flying J Travel Plaza, 2300 Canyon Rd, Ellensburg, WA 98926
    Arrival Time: Thursday, September 3, 10:00 PDT
    Downtime: 30 minutes

Leg 7 - Ellensburg, WA to PAX (Seattle, WA)
    Departure Point: Flying J Travel Plaza, 2300 Canyon Rd, Ellensburg, WA 98926
    Departure Time: Thursday, September 3, 10:30 PDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 109 mi/2h30m (0:48 Buffer)
    Arrival Point: Washington State C&T Center, 800 Convention Pl. Seattle, WA 98101
    Arrival Time: Thursday, September 2, 13:00 PDT

So that about covers it for now. Additional information and vehicular data will be edited into the OP as it becomes available.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Woo! Let the PAX fever commence!

And I would love to hear the reasons why nobody would want to do the CCST.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Qs23 wrote: »
    Woo! Let the PAX fever commence!

I live 3 hours south of Seattle and I'd rather not get any closer to Spokane than I have to.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    !Sign up

Lieutenant Vendal Thornheart, reporting for duty with my wife (no driver's license though) and our 4-door, 5 seat Scion xA. =)

I'm psyched to finally be driving with you guys! =)=)

I'll send you a PM with the more formal signup information. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    i'm so jealous! i wish i lived on your side of the world instead of 2 hours north by boat :(

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have been waiting for this thread. This is my first year going and I would really like to be part of this rather than flying. I have questions though.

I know there were some people last year from Ontario who were concerned over only have a G2 license and what rules applied. How did that end up working? I'd like to volunteer myself as a driver, but I don't know if the G2 restrictions remain the G2 restrictions wherever I go, or if I get bumped down to Learner's Permit status of whatever state we're in.

Second, how likely is it that if I do have a driver's license but no car I'll be able to just find a ride with people randomly on the boards. I don't really know anyone who is going who is driving out. Are there generally people who have extra space in their cars? I'm starting in Ottawa, which is conveniently where one of the routes is starting.

I really hope I'm able to go.

Asiina on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Qs23 wrote: »

Because I could walk to the wsctc if I wanted to :P

(yes I give this wiseass answer to your same question every year)

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
    edited January 2009
    Asiina wrote: »
    I have been waiting for this thread. This is my first year going and I would really like to be part of this rather than flying. I have questions though.

I know there were some people last year from Ontario who were concerned over only have a G2 license and what rules applied. How did that end up working? I'd like to volunteer myself as a driver, but I don't know if the G2 restrictions remain the G2 restrictions wherever I go, or if I get bumped down to Learner's Permit status of whatever state we're in.

Second, how likely is it that if I do have a driver's license but no car I'll be able to just find a ride with people randomly on the boards. I don't really know anyone who is going who is driving out. Are there generally people who have extra space in their cars? I'm starting in Ottawa, which is conveniently where one of the routes is starting.

I really hope I'm able to go.

It seems we might have found an answer...

http://www.carinsurance.com/kb/content15555.aspx
    A novice licence is not considered to be fully licensed for driving the MTO noted and whether a Class G2 licence is accepted depends on the laws, including minimum driving age, in the province or state you are driving in.

So it would appear that you could indeed drive into the United States with your G2 if the state you are driving in allows you to do so. Before driving into the U.S. with your G2 license you might want to check with the MTO, just to find out for certain what restrictions or conditions they place on you while out of the province.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
    edited January 2009
    I almost want my car's group name to be ironically named "nail dodger", as it seems like it would be appropriately ironic given my tendency to run into the tire-popping bastards.

VThornheart on
    edited January 2009
    If there's one thing we've learned in the three previous years of doing this is don't tempt fate. This means avoiding the words bust or lucky or talk of dodging road debris.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I too have been eagerly awaiting this thread! I'd been planning on going to PAX for a few years now but finally have the means and time to! However, I was wondering what the rule is for wanting to roadtrip there for the fun and then flying back instead of taking the roadtrip back.

Also, I'm in the Chicago area and I see that the roadtrip passes through Chicago, but doesn't appear to have a stop in or near Chicago. (Hmmm... I wonder if i could take a train to one of the major stopping points)

Also, the link for last year's handbook appears to be down. :(

Arminas on
    edited January 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    If there's one thing we've learned in the three previous years of doing this is don't tempt fate. This means avoiding the words bust or lucky or talk of dodging road debris.

lol, duly noted =) I'll scratch that one off the list =)

VThornheart on
    edited January 2009
    Arminas wrote: »
    I too have been eagerly awaiting this thread! I'd been planning on going to PAX for a few years now but finally have the means and time to! However, I was wondering what the rule is for wanting to roadtrip there for the fun and then flying back instead of taking the roadtrip back.

Also, I'm in the Chicago area and I see that the roadtrip passes through Chicago, but doesn't appear to have a stop in or near Chicago. (Hmmm... I wonder if i could take a train to one of the major stopping points)

Also, the link for last year's handbook appears to be down. :(

I need to reupload the handbook, forgot to remove that link. Doing the trip one-way is entirely up to whoever you end up riding with. Some people don't mind, others would rather have the extra driver both ways. Also, Chicago is the worst for traffic, if we actually had to stop there and leave again, I don't think we'd ever get out. It's also halfway between two waypoints. As long as you can find somebody to ride with and can get to the waypoint, there shouldn't be a problem. Talk to some friends in your area, see if you can't get a group together from your area. That way you don't have to worry about getting to the waypoint.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    i was really hoping to join up this year, but my new school and lack of job has made that impossible. at least i'll get to stay at the green tortoise this year. speaking of which, we need a green tortoise thread!

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • randomguyrandomguy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Man...it seems almost like yesterday.

Moe this year we NEED to play games in the BYOC. Last year was too busy, WHY DOES PAX HAVE SO MUCH STUFF !?

randomguy on
    "i ate your babies princess."
    edited January 2009
    If you can't join up, do the next best thing and be there to greet us when we arrive. There was quite the crowd last year.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited January 2009
    randomguy wrote: »

Moe this year we NEED to play games in the BYOC. Last year was too busy, WHY DOES PAX HAVE SO MUCH STUFF !?
    Yeah I know, I spent almost no time in BYOC. Makes me sad, but there was so much to do.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Three things....

For those that don't want to read...here's a nice informative PSA for the supertrip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dStfzb220fg&feature=channel_page

Secondly, Moe...it's Houston...not Austin...we went through this last year :p (although I think the Texas meet-up point is unofficially Dallas)

Thirdly, pencil myself in for this as due to loss of job and not sure where exactly I'm going to be located at the moment of the start of this epic journey...I'm not sure I'll be able to make it (not to mention the fact that we here in Houston have gotten a lot of our friends interested in the trip so I'm not sure how many would be in our group)

JonnyNero on
    edited January 2009
    If you can't join up, do the next best thing and be there to greet us when we arrive. There was quite the crowd last year.

Yay! =) I'm looking forward to seeing the MMT when we roll into town. =)

VThornheart on
  • BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    randomguy wrote: »

Yeah I know, I spent almost no time in BYOC. Makes me sad, but there was so much to do.

I spent no time in BYOC either :( I am likely not even going to bring my laptop next year.

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
    edited January 2009
    Having fun is the most important part, which we had in droves! =)

Man I'm so excited about this!

VThornheart on
    edited January 2009
    So, I was poking around looking for a good vehicle to rent for this year and I came across this.
    htconversionvan1.jpg
    Seven Passenger, 8' from floor to ceiling, 4 huge captains chairs and a reclining bench seat for sleeping.
    htconversionvan2.jpg
    Better than all of those is the home theater sized LCD with DVD player and game console inputs
    htconversionvan3.jpg

The only real downside appears to be price. To ride this thing with unlimited miles for the duration of the CCST, PAX and the ride back will cost about $300 per person with 5 people (which is the maximum we could expect to fit if we intend to make use of the back bench as a sleeping area). I'm strongly considering this ride in comfort, as this appears to be first-class supertripping at its finest. I'll need to talk to a few other people before deciding on this, and I plan on going down to this place and talking to them in person to make sure their rental terms will suit our needs. This is going to be the best CCST ever.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'll be joining up again as the Aussie shuttle this year with my new car. Still no head room in the back, but plenty of leg room! I'll give you the formal whatsits and whonows when you actually need them. ^_^

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
    edited January 2009
    I found a better van then Qs23's van.

Moe, what's the mpg on that house?

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
    edited January 2009
    I have to call them and find out.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited January 2009
    That is, perhaps, the greatest van I have ever seen in my life. Ever.

I can't imagine the gas mileage would be good on it... but the size and comfort features = very nice. =)

VThornheart on
    edited January 2009
    I have to call them and find out.

Well, the front end is from the Chevy Express from 2003 or newer. And with some quick goggling, it looks like the conversion vans normally get about 16 to 19 on the highway.

Just to warn you, from experience... doing 90 in Montana is going to drop that amount like a hammer. So no more NJ drivers.

Anyway... if that's coming from Cleveland, that's about 5000 miles round trip.... GAH! You're making me redo that excel sheet aren't you. :x

EDIT: Ok, doing the rough math, the daily rate for 9 days + $20 extra a day for extra drivers + the $0.25 per extra mile over the 900 given (it's cheaper then the unlimited miles option) and if gas was at $3 a gallon and getting 18 mpg in the van... that would put the cost per person at approx. $600 per person.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
    edited January 2009
    Um, I doubt the 100 miles/day is averaged over the entire 9 days. Also, I've heard that gas will top out at 2.50 this summer.

edit: my maths come to 455/person, not including the additional optional insurance and using 2.50/gal and unlimited mileage price. also, it's $600 less using the unlimited mileage price. try not to rush your maths, andy, or you'll end up hundreds of dollars off :P

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited January 2009
    Sounds like it's still better than a plane ticket these days. I was looking online a few weeks ago to see how much it would cost to fly out to Sacramento to see my family... 700 bucks a person round trip. And that's about as far mileage wise as it is to Seattle. So 455 is a reasonable discount, for what looks to be a luxurious ride. =) Good find Moe! =)

VThornheart on
  • Cynd3rCynCynd3rCyn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    OMGZ AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cynd3rCyn on
  • b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD!

b0wser on
  • MeeOkMeeOk Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Liger wrote: »
    I'll be joining up again as the Aussie shuttle this year with my new car. Still no head room in the back, but plenty of leg room! I'll give you the formal whatsits and whonows when you actually need them. ^_^

If possible, I'd be interested in joining in on this..

MeeOk on
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    MeeOk wrote: »

MAYBE. First dibs on my seats go to the Aussies (promised CuZZa right after 08), and I might have a full car depending on how many of them come along.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
    edited January 2009
    MeeOk wrote: »

MAYBE. First dibs on my seats go to the Aussies (promised CuZZa right after 08), and I might have a full car depending on how many of them come along.

Too bad the Aussies don't have more money then god, so they could fly in to NYC through Europe and then take the CCST from Coast to Coast.

EDIT: by more money then god I meant $1,600 USD.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
    edited January 2009
    I think that does qualify as more money than God, in all fairness to the almighty. =)

So given the schedule, is the usual routine to rotate drivers and have people who aren't the immediate driver sleep? We did that cross country trip in the move to New Hampshire, but we stayed at hotels and relatives along the way, so it wasn't a "hardcore" cross country trip.

VThornheart on
    edited January 2009
    One person sleeps, one person drives, and one person keeps the driver company. Rotate as needed.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited January 2009
    Hmm... duly noted. We'll definitely need at least one more person in our car then, hopefully more... since my wife's got no license.

Anyone riding from Cleveland on that wants to ride with us is welcome! =)

VThornheart on
  • ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Well, I'm looking for a pickup somewhere in Chicago, I'd be happy to ride a train out to any number of stops to hitch a ride. :D But It's still quite early and I'm keeping tabs on this thread.

Arminas on
This discussion has been closed.