As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New comedy TV series

2»

• Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Arrested Development is the single funniest piece of entertainment I have seen in any medium. TV, film, stage, book, whatever. Sheer brilliance.

For current shows, I pretty much just watch 30 Rock.

THey're not straight sitcoms, but if you're looking for something different check out Weeds (don't bother with anything after season 2) and jPod (never aired in the US; stream it on WB's web site or buy the DVD off of Amazon.ca)

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Venture Bros.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Because I believe a person's future total enjoyment on earth relies on having seen NewsRadio and also because I'm prone to hyperbole, I feel the need to toss out a few quotes from the show. But you must imagine all as about 10 times funnier coming out of the expert delivery of Phil Hartman and others.

"Are you challenging my constitutional right to make nude phone calls?"

"Have you ever heard the expression, 'When life gives you lemons, make lemonade and then toss it in the face of the person who gave you the lemons until they give you the oranges you asked for in the first place'?"

Bill: "You're not in Wisconsin, Dave. The big story isn't about a cow wandering into the town square."
    Dave: "You know, I worked in Milwaukee, it's a city with a population of a million people."
    Bill: "So, there must have been a lot of hub-bub when that cow got loose."

Matthew: "In fact in Japan they've got all kinds of different things to eat."
    Bill: "Yeah, I know Matthew it's called Chinese food. Now shut up."

Bill: "I remember one time in college we got this pledge drunk, locked him in the trunk of the car, abandoned the car in a junk yard..."
    Dave: "And then?"
    Bill: "What?"
    Dave: "How'd he get out of the car?"
    Bill: "You know what I have to make a phone call..."

"Sexual harassment is no joke sweetcans"

pretty much this entire post right here. News Radio was the Arrested Development of its time.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't know how I posted in this thread without recommending the Day Today and Brass Eye.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Man, I was getting worried. Too many people were recommending Big Bang Theory.

I third Newsradio. I wish TBS would go back to showing that instead of that Yes Dear crap.

And I recently bought the Titus season set. While funny, I didn't think it held up as well as I thought it would. I still love the gimmick of him narrating stuff while in a room with a single light bulb though.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    rocketshipreadyrocketshipready Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I haven't seen 30 Rock yet, but I hear good things. I should have also put Arrested Development on my list, but I haven't seen it in a while, so I forgot about it.
    If you watched The Office (US) make sure to watch the original version. It's really, really good.

I actually meant the BBC one, but the American one's fine and dandy too.
    I've been watching Spaced lately, and that's been very good. I recommend that if you're a fan of Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz.

A TV show by Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright? How have I missed this? Thanks!

rocketshipready on
  • Options
    HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Where the hell is Dead Like Me on your lists, people?

Dead Like Me.

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    jthmjthm Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Peep Show. A million times Peep Show.

A neurotic office worker rooming with an unemployed DJ - comedy gold.

jthm on
  • Options
    A BearA Bear Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    While its clear everyone has very different tastes on here, but I'll further endorse How I Met Your Mother and The Big Bang Theory. Also Weeds can be good. I only have the time/patience for a small handful of TV shows, so I end up tossing a lot out and never picking them up again.

Scrubs got watchable again? I'll have to tune in. I really liked that show, but 2-3 seasons ago it completely turned to crap. But so did My Name is Earl, albeit more recently and with a lot less melodrama.

I really enjoy the idea of Psych, but just not enamored with its execution. I only saw the first few episodes, so maybe its not a fair appraisal.

If the new Dr. Who can count as a comedy, I wholeheartedly endorse this as well. In fact, if I only had one show ot watch it would be Dr. Who.

A Bear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ThylacineThylacine Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    A lot of good shows suggested.

I used to watch Just Shoot Me, it had some pretty funny episodes. I didn't watch it the whole way through from beginning to end, because I stopped watching TV for a few years...so I can't say if as a whole watching them back to back it was great or not.

Thylacine on
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    the IT-crowd
    features some cast members from mighty boosh, and is great. Plus it's short, with only a few small seasons out, and doesn't rely on continuity all that much. very low-threshold.

The_Glad_Hatter on