As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Israel bans Arab political parties from elections

deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/news/2009/01/israel_bans_arab_parties_from_coming_election.php
Israel on Monday banned Arab political parties from running in next month's parliamentary elections, drawing accusations of racism by an Arab lawmaker who said he would challenge the decision in the country's Supreme Court.
So, in Israel, if you are not part of a Jewish political party, you are not allowed to run for office anymore.

By doing this, Israel has forfeited any claim to being a democracy, and is inching closer and closer to total apartheid. This is racism at its most basic. Is there any chance of the supreme court overturning this? Even if they do, will their decision be followed? It seems as of late that the court speaks and no one listens.

I see this possibly setting off a violent uprising in Israel itself.

(This should be kept separate from the Gaza thread, because this isn't about the war, it's about Israel's internal politics.)

deadonthestreet on

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Biden said that Obama was going to be tested... is this just Israel testing Obamas committment to remaining a friend of Israel?

Seriously, invading a neighboring country then implementing restrictions on who among their citizens can participate in their own democrocy.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Well I know I'm pretty much done being a friend of Israel.

Medopine on
  • Darkchampion3dDarkchampion3d Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    They know they will lose power if they don't do this. Demographics are against them and though it is disgusting, I am completely unsurprised.

Darkchampion3d on
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence --Thomas Jefferson
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This won't end well.

Daedalus on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    How do they consider this to be a good idea?

moniker on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2009
    Wow. This is pretty awful.

I'm not terribly surprised, but...

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    Maybe it will make the later gas grab easier?

Way to prove Jimmy Carter right, though.

Thanatos on
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    WHAT!?

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Daedalus wrote: »
    This won't end well.

Understatement of the Year 2009

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Maybe it will make the later gas grab easier?

Way to prove Jimmy Carter right, though.

Pfft, that Anti-Semite.

Though of all the things Israel has done/could do this doesn't seem terribly surprising to me.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    /picardfacepalm

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    edited January 2009
    Seriously, how is this possible?

Honk on
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't know much about this situation, but I think it sparks an interesting corrollary question: is it ever right to ban a party? What if all those parties really did support terrorists?

Coinage on
    edited January 2009
    Honk wrote: »
    They're a vaguely democratic theocracy. What do you expect? They're basically as fucked up as most of the other countries in the region. Why we've decided that their particular brand of fucked-upness means we give them shitloads of aid and support and tell everyone else in the region to fuck off, I don't know.

Thanatos on
    edited January 2009
    Coinage wrote: »
    I don't know much about this situation, but I think it sparks an interesting corrollary question: is it ever right to ban a party? What if all those parties really did support terrorists?

I'd find that incredibly hard to believe.

Honk on
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    WTF. Okay. Well. Shit is going to hit the fan.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    They're a vaguely democratic theocracy. What do you expect? They're basically as fucked up as most of the other countries in the region. Why we've decided that their particular brand of fucked-upness means we give them shitloads of aid and support and tell everyone else in the region to fuck off, I don't know.

Because they have supporters that spend lots of money on K Street?

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    this is fucked.

If it holds up in court, total clusterfuck.

geckahn on
    edited January 2009

no. stop.

geckahn on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Reactionary politics?

Or trolling. Most likely the worst of both.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited January 2009
    They're basically completely disenfranchising 20% of their electorate (who was really only getting ten percent of the representation to begin with).

I think Israel is just defining "anyone who has ever been inside a Mosque" as a terrorist. See, that way, they don't feel so bad about the senseless slaughter and apartheid.

Thanatos on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

No.

moniker on
    edited January 2009

Do you really want us to go into a discussion of the background of Likud (which nobody argues should be removed?)

AngelHedgie on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    See what I mean?

Neocons with Stars of David instead of crucifixes.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    edited January 2009
    Huh. they banned a party before, in the 80s. super zionist one I guess.

Well, God Bless America.

geckahn on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

If they were providing actual support (money, people) to the terrorists, there are already tools in place to deal with that. Banning a party just because they lend moral/rhetorical support to terrorists is straight up bullshit.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited January 2009
    PantsB wrote: »
    See what I mean?

Neocons with Stars of David instead of crucifixes.

You...you do know that a sizable contingent of neocons were hawkish Jews who supported Israel, right? To the point that people have tried to argue that "neocon" is an anti-Semitic slur?

AngelHedgie on
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

Do you really want us to go into a discussion of the background of Likud (which nobody argues should be removed?)
    No, probably not.

By the way I should have added that I wasn't saying they were justified, I was just speaking rhetorically. ;-)

Coinage on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2009

No.

Yeah, I don't care if it's the Murder Babies and Lynch All Them Darkies Party. Let them organize.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    edited January 2009

No, probably not.

By the way I should have added that I wasn't saying they were justified, I was just speaking rhetorically. ;-)

Well, the answer is no. Remember, Britain got a LOT more mileage out of treating Sinn Fein as a legitimate political actor than they ever did trying to conflate it with the IRA.

AngelHedgie on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2009
    First of all- this is terribad and there's no defense of it.

Second, there is some dramatization here. What happened is that the two Arab parties in Knesset- Balad and United Arab List-Ta'al- are being disqualified from the upcoming election. This isn't a ban on 'all Arab parties' in general (however, there happen to be only two). They were individual, faceted motions, not a comprehensive ban on Arab parties in general.

Also, I'll note that these are the first parties banned since the 80s- when a party was banned for advocacy of expelling all Arabs from Israel.

This action isn't defensible, but it is what it is- not what some of ya'll are choosing to extrapolate it to.

Organichu on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Well, I'm sure discussion in the U.S. media will be quashed by charges of anti-Semitism leveled willy-nilly.

It always is.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm not clear on what Israel's official justification is for this action.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Feral wrote: »
    Basically "these guys are jerks, we don't want them in out government."

deadonthestreet on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Probably something about protecting Israelis from rocket attacks from inside the party headquarters.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Bad policy is bad.

Salvation122 on
    edited January 2009
    Well, if they'd done it before now, the Arabs would have had a month or more to organize political parties to get on the ballot.

Thanatos on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The Israeli Supreme Court seems more sane on these issues, so hopefully they can overturn this.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    edited January 2009
    Organichu wrote: »

Second, there is some dramatization here. What happened is that the two Arab parties in Knesset- Balad and United Arab List-Ta'al- are being disqualified from the upcoming election. This isn't a ban on 'all Arab parties' in general (however, there happen to be only two). They were individual, faceted motions, not a comprehensive ban on Arab parties in general.

Also, I'll note that these are the first parties banned since the 80s- when a party was banned for advocacy of expelling all Arabs for Israel.

This action isn't defensible, but it is what it is- not what some of ya'll are choosing to extrapolate it to.
    I'll lay money that it's too late to get any new Arab parties on the ballot for the February election.

So, how is it not what we're choosing to extrapolate? Also, did anyone other than the Arab parties vote against this? Or is it basically two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner?

Thanatos on
    edited January 2009
    Organichu wrote: »

Also, I'll note that these are the first parties banned since the 80s- when a party was banned for advocacy of expelling all Arabs for Israel.

Okay, here's the million dollar question - how the fuck do you think this looks to the rest of the world? Seriously - Israel is waging a one-sided war while the rest of the world looks on in horror, and then ejects from its government two Arab political parties on the behest of the ultranationalist wing that provoked the war in the first place.

You know, when I equated the position of Israeli Arabs with the position of Southern Black Americans in the 60s, you told me that I was being hyperbolic and it wasn't that bad. Somehow, after this turn of events, I think you owe me an apology.

AngelHedgie on