As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] PAX 2009 iPhone/iPod Touch App

• VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Just bought a G1 yesterday, so i know nothing about making programs at all but am now interested in helping anyway i can to make sweet PAX android apps.

Probably just moral support.

Sweet, that is useful! It looks like it'll be some time before I can afford an android phone, and though there is an emulator I don't know how accurate it is to real world use of programs.

Now all we need is to figure out what kinds of features it should provide. That's actually the difficult part here... if GPS doesn't work indoors we can't do anything truly cool and unique to what the android provides (which is basically very accurate positioning capability).

Maybe a scheduling/reminder app, but I can't imagine that it doesn't already have that kind of a program... so we've got to brainstorm and find something that would be useful on a mobile device while at PAX that doesn't already exist. Oy. =(

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Maybe some sort of interactive map that you can put in where you are and where you want to go and it gives you easy directions?

Also a schedual planner with all the pax stuff will still be useful, and it can be pax colored!

The_Reflection on
  • ashridahashridah Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh, dyaballikl, if it helps, that widget JonXP and I made works for any year from now on =) Just go into Settings and change the destination date.

Technically, it's a general purpose countdown widget, you could point it to Groundhog's Day 2048 (the day that the world is going to end, by the way... mark your calendars =) ) if you want. =) But it's PAX themed in appearance, so you can see what it was meant to be used for =)

That's 2038 btw. The date that 32bit storage of time in seconds since Epoch (1970) rolls over.
    Hopefully we'll be using 64bit for everything by then, but here's hoping for a rollover disaster hype like there was for the y2k bug. :P

ashridah on
    edited January 2009
    lol, true! =)

VThornheart on
  • BamboozaBambooza Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Iphone app seems to be stuck on the fact that you have to have an apple leopard to use the Iphone SDK. Attempted to launch leopard in VMware but it turned out horrid, scary horrid.

Bambooza on
    The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Man, cows are tasty... damnit, now I've got to make and eat some cheeseburgers.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • sephirion0sephirion0 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Even though I originally started this thread to be for an iPhone/iPod touch app, I'm still excited that you guys have committed to actually make an app of some kind. This is really really awesome! Here's hoping we can find an Apple developer to write the iPhone version of the app.

sephirion0 on
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, I'm sorry that it's not for the iPhone! I do understand the larger audience there, but I work with what I can.

I'm still wondering if we should rename the thread or just move the Android talk to another thread.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
    edited January 2009
    Hmm... aye, maybe it would be better with its own thread in the end now that I think about it. That way people could immediately get to the thread about the app for the phone they use. =)

VThornheart on
  • The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    screw iphone users they should have been cool like us and gone with the open source phone

The_Reflection on
    edited January 2009
    lol =)

VThornheart on
  • ashridahashridah Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    screw iphone users they should have been cool like us and gone with the open source phone

AGREED <covers up his microsoft badge>

ashridah on
  • proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Anybody here? *cowers in the corner with his iphone*

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The Android conversation was mostly split off to it's own thread. This is now once again about applications involving PAX, your iLife, and, potentially, gratuitous touching.

Houn on
  • ExtraEntropy IIExtraEntropy II Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    OK, I'm planning to attend PAX for the first time this year, and stumbled across this thread looking for info. I have the requisite Mac running 10.5, and the iPhone dev kit, and would be willing to develop an app. As I haven't been to PAX before, I'm not too clear on the required functionality beyond that a map and schedule would be handy - and neither of these are presently available for the 2009 event.

I could mock up an app using the 2008 data, if that's still available somewhere - can someone point me in the right direction?

ExtraEntropy II on
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    OK, I'm planning to attend PAX for the first time this year, and stumbled across this thread looking for info. I have the requisite Mac running 10.5, and the iPhone dev kit, and would be willing to develop an app. As I haven't been to PAX before, I'm not too clear on the required functionality beyond that a map and schedule would be handy - and neither of these are presently available for the 2009 event.

I could mock up an app using the 2008 data, if that's still available somewhere - can someone point me in the right direction?

Hey man, stick around for a bit. We're designing a backend that apps on other platforms can use. Once we have the mockups and first versions of the Android app, we'll make up an interoperability document.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
    edited January 2009
    OK, keep me posted!

ExtraEntropy II on
  • sum10fishysum10fishy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

LOL One day you will understand.

sent from my iPhone

sum10fishy on
  • Rooni3Rooni3 Registered User new member
    edited January 2009
    I wouldn't mind creating a app, pax just needs to get on their "A" game and post everything a little earlier than last year.

Rooni3 on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Rooni3 wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind creating a app, pax just needs to get on their "A" game and post everything a little earlier than last year.

Uh... Considering PAX is the largest video game expo in north america im pretty sure PAX is doing it right.

Also you mean earlier than last year, and the year before that, and the year before that?

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
    edited February 2009
    OK, I've got an iPhone / iPod touch app in the review queue at the app store. It's basically the same as the original Android app, a simple adjustable countdown with the PAX logo.
    countdown.pngsettings.png

No idea how long it's going to be in queue, but it is on the way. I'm going to try and keep the functionality similar to what's being developed for Android, although the iPhone SDK limits what can be done much more than the Andrioid SDK - for example, as far as I can tell there's no way to put a 3rd party app into the background on the iPhone: if your app is not on screen, then it isn't running, which will make alerts all but impossible.

ExtraEntropy II on
  • proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Apple currently doesn't allow for apps to run in the background (asses) but supposedly sometime in the future they'll allow push notifications and/or background processes.

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, they originally said that push notifications would be available by Sept. last year, but the feature was pulled from the 2.1 release... No new news as to when it's going to happen now.

ExtraEntropy II on
    edited February 2009
    OK, the first revision of the PAX app for iPhone has been approved by Apple, and should be appearing in the app store shortly. It's just a countdown for now, but development of the backend has begun, so I should be updating it with more interesting features sometime soon.

ExtraEntropy II on
  • s7arbucks7arbuck Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I am just saying. I used to have a g1 and I prefer my iPhone more. (just saying)

Also the iPhone app require 2.2.1 and I don't do stupid updates (like the third decimal) so if you can change that a five star review and a bullshit 2 paragraph review will be wrote along the lines of ZOMG BEST IPHONE DEV EVER!!!!

s7arbuck on
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, 2.2.1 is just the default for new projects. I'm probably not going to need anything that was added since 2.1, so I'll see about backing off the version requirement.

ExtraEntropy II on
    edited February 2009
    Woo Hoo!! App's up.

sum10fishy on
    edited August 2009
    OK, I've got some mapping and notification functionality built, but it's still needs a fair bit of work, as well as current information - I've been using what I could find from '08 thus far. Even if I can get the app into shape before PAX, Apple will still hold onto it for a indeterminate amount of time. Looks like any interesting stuff is probably going to have to wait for next year (sorry :().

ExtraEntropy II on
    edited August 2009
    OK, I've got some mapping and notification functionality built, but it's still needs a fair bit of work, as well as current information - I've been using what I could find from '08 thus far. Even if I can get the app into shape before PAX, Apple will still hold onto it for a indeterminate amount of time. Looks like any interesting stuff is probably going to have to wait for next year (sorry :().

Still excited for it. Wort, Wort, Wort!

sum10fishy on
  • DunckTheFunkDunckTheFunk Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Comic-con got its own app, I can't imagine someone won't make one for PAX

DunckTheFunk on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    GFW-1.jpg
    GFW Radio. The Brodeo. Live at PAX '09. Come for the WahJah. Leave with a shame cape.
  • s73v3rs73v3r Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'd be willing to help with the development of the PAX iPhone app. Is there a public repository somewhere?

s73v3r on
  • nathosnathos Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It's almost time for the Penny Arcade Expo, a magical time of year when gamers can gather and bask in the joys of geek culture. Rufo and I have been surfing the PAX Forums and noticed a couple of threads talking about & wishing for a mobile app, but those plans seemed to fizzle.

We deemed this situation unacceptable, so over the past two weekends we set to work. Today we're proud to announce ExpoJunkie PAX 09 Edition:
    expojunkie_pax_install.png

We wanted PAX attendees to have a complete event schedule & map listing right on their iPhones. ExpoJunkie features easy-to-navigate panel & gaming schedules and scrollable/zoomable maps for the convention center.

We also wanted iPod touch & iPhone users to be able to load the app and run it offline. By using some of the cool new features in iPhone OS 3, we can cache a lot of data on your iPhone/iPod touch. Once you 'install' the app to your home screen, the database & maps will be cached on your device for offline access. If you are online, the app will automatically check for updates & download as needed.

We still have a few kinks to work out and possibly a few more features to add, but for now visit:

on your iPhone or iPod touch! We'll call it 'beta' for the moment -- some features like device-side caching may not be fully enabled. Everything should be squared away by the time PAX starts. Follow us here or on Twitter for service updates.

[P.S.: if you have an Android device or Palm Pre, good news! You can use the app too. It probably won't be able to cache data like the iPhone, but should work pretty well with a data connection]

If you'd like to check out a few screen shots, please head to our blog. Thanks, and we'll see you at PAX! :mrgreen:

nathos on
    nathos.png
    edited August 2009
    I am going to say that this is fucking sweet.

BigRed on
  • CRCelfCRCelf Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    SO, when will there be an app available for download? or am i just being dense and missing how to download it?

CRCelf on
  • ruforufo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Just so folks don't worry - we have most of the panels in there, but we're still adding most of the Omegathon/tourney/freeplay events (we weren't able to grab them automagically from the Schedule page on the site, and we need to type them in by hand.) We'll have them loaded up shortly.

EDIT: Oh, also - let us know if you break anything, or have any cool ideas. We can't promise all ideas will make it in before PAX but we're interested in making it as kick-ass as possible before then!

rufo on
    edited August 2009
    CRCelf wrote: »
    SO, when will there be an app available for download? or am i just being dense and missing how to download it?

Go to the link in the post above my last one, theres instructions how to add it.

its not an /app/ that you can use offline but its a webapp.

BigRed on
  • ravemongerravemonger [E] Silicon ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This is great, thanks for putting this together.

ravemonger on
  • Brex123Brex123 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    That is an AMAZING app, nathos. It works perfectly. Great job!

Brex123 on
  • aragorn18aragorn18 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    CRCelf wrote: »
    There never was a native iPhone app developed. It just didn't happen.

However, nathos is posting saying that he has developed a web app that will do many of the features that a native app would do, including being able to view the info offline. Just go to the URL that he linked in his post on your iPhone.

aragorn18 on
  • nathosnathos Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It's a web app, so just go to http://pax.expojunkie.com on your iPhone.

once we're done, we'll recommend (probably require) that you 'install' the app to your home screen, but for now please to check it out in Safari on your iPhone/iPod touch.

nathos on
    nathos.png
This discussion has been closed.