As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Adjustable dumbells?

mellestadmellestad Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Has anyone used these? Any brands that stand out? The blowflex ones look fine, but spendy!

mellestad on

• Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    It's a waste of money. Just buy extra plates and extra dumbbells and set up two or three different sets at the amounts of weight you'll use. You'll actually save money and have more versatility with your weight set and you'll be able to re-sell them for a hell of a lot closer to what you paid, especially if you buy used.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    What Pheezer said. If you have to have them, I'd get the powerblock brand. I've talked to guys who use them and they say that the bowflex ones break easily because the weight is a metal plate inside a plastic shell and if you drop them you can break the plastic and the weight comes out.

The powerblock ones are just plates with a holder, they're sturdier and hold up better (the people say).

But seriously, $300 for two dumbbells? Get yourself some nice fixed weight ones or ones with adjustable plates and save your money.

Peen on
  • Options
    MunacraMunacra Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You could go to home depot and make yourself a nice pair of dumbells, that will hold 100 pounds easy and will last you forever, for about 15 bucks.

Munacra on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Well, the main issue is space. I don't know if I want to have a space hogging eyesore in the front room, and the adjustable weights sounded like a nice idea. Just not $500 for two stupid dumbbells nice idea.

Thanks.

mellestad on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You can buy a pair of adjustable dumbells with nuts on either side that you remove to put weights on and off.

These will at their most expensive cost you approximately forty dollars.

Blake T on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Blaket wrote: »
    You can buy a pair of adjustable dumbells with nuts on either side that you remove to put weights on and off.

I had a pair of these but make sure the centre doesn't have like a rubber coating. I had a pair and from changing the weight and from just use the rubber tore on one and that was a annoying as fuck. I glued it back and it worked but its spins a bit.

I ended up picking some fixed weight dumbells and they just feel better to work with.

Dixon on
  • Options
    Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Munacra wrote: »
    You could go to home depot and make yourself a nice pair of dumbells, that will hold 100 pounds easy and will last you forever, for about 15 bucks.

Care to elaborate?

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Preparation
    1) Bring the plates you use to Home Depot
    2) Find some galvanized steel pipe that fits your plates. I like to get the longest I can find since I like to use them for farmer walks, as well.
    3) Buy as many galvanized steel pipes as you like.
    3)Buy some epoxy and several hose clamps.

Making them
    1)put two hose clamps around the middle of the pipe. This is where your hand will grip. Space it out to your liking. Put some epoxy on top of the hose clamps. This allows for security and comfort.
    2)Put the plates in.
    3)secure the plates with hose clamps.

The dumbells will hold 100 pounds easy, and will last you forever. They are also completely safe and, more importantly, mega cheap.

Munacra on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    Dixon wrote: »
    Blaket wrote: »

I had a pair of these but make sure the centre doesn't have like a rubber coating. I had a pair and from changing the weight and from just use the rubber tore on one and that was a annoying as fuck. I glued it back and it worked but its spins a bit.

I ended up picking some fixed weight dumbells and they just feel better to work with.

Fixed weight dumbbells are the second least cost effective thing ever, next only to the adjustable dumbbells.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Powerblocks aren't actually much smaller then two dumbell handles and a decent weight rack. If you're rich and you live in a tiny apartment or a tour bus or something, sure, but otherwise - two 10 dollar handles, one 40 dollar weight rack, and MAYBE 200 pounds of weight (four 25s, four 5s, four 10s) and an optional longer bar will still cost you significantly less then the same weight in powerblocks and not take much more space. Brand new weight costs MAYBE 2 bucks a pound - if you don't shop at all. you shouldn't really pay more than a buck a pound. All told, the minimal weight set I've outlined would take you from 10-100 pounds per hand, put around 210 pounds on your floor, and cost right around 300 bucks, if you buy it all new, name brand, on one day, with no sale or package discount. If you actually shop for a set or maybe hit a pawn shop, you could go anywhere from 3/4s to 1/4 of that.

a 5-50 pound set of powerblocks costs 360 dollars. 410 if you mail order them. The expanders to take it 5-90 bring the cost to 600 bucks MSRP. Unshipped. The floor weight of the set is the same, the approximate space is only slightly more compact - the ONLY thing they do provide a speedy weight change for you, and if you buy decently machined barbells in the first place that's not a big issue, since you have different sizes of plates, and you're at home not a gym and never have to totally unrack if you don't want to, you shouldn't have to ever shuttle more then 4 plates and they'll be your lighter plates most of the time.

Powerblocks are good for three people: Japanese apartment dwellers, Gym owners who can put in a couple more stations if they replace 40 feet of wall-racked hex dumbells with 2-3 sets of powerblocks, and the kind of person who sees no irony in spending 10 minutes circling the gym parking lot for a closer space.

IRT munarca...good on ya, dude, for the dyi but shit man empty barbells only cost, like, 15 bucks to begin with. maybe you might spend 30 dollars on something like a ripple bar or a long bar for a compound rack but I think you can get a set of a curl bar and two hand bars with 6 collars for <30 at your neighborhood sporting goods store.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    XobniXobni Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I bought two adjustable dumbells three years ago.

Big waste of money. Find some way to make space or to make the eye-sore not so bad. Adjustable dumbells are convenient to throw in the closet but that's really the only thing they're good for.

Xobni on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    IRT munarca...good on ya, dude, for the dyi but shit man empty barbells only cost, like, 15 bucks to begin with. maybe you might spend 30 dollars on something like a ripple bar or a long bar for a compound rack but I think you can get a set of a curl bar and two hand bars with 6 collars for 0 at your neighborhood sporting goods store.

real men build their own gyms!

Munacra on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    When I want to up the weight, I just buy a new set of fixed weight ones. But wait, you say, couldn't that get expensive? The answer is that it would be awesome if it got expensive.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Lol, I like that Random.

mellestad on
  • Options
    Toastie ToastToastie Toast Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Because everyone seems to be leaning the other way, I'm gonna throw in an argument for adjustable dumbbells, specifically the Bowflex SelectTech ones. I've been nothing but happy with them since I got them. But it really depends on the person and his/her lifestyle and budget. If you're on a limited budget and don't mind switching the plates in and out, by all means go with the sound advice the others have given you already. In my case, I went with the Bowflex dumbbells because:

1) I didn't mind spending the money because I was committed to working out regularly, and for something I'll be doing 4-5 hours a week, I wanted the best/easiest option.
    2) I live in an apartment and space was limited. I wanted something with a small footprint that looked nice in my neat livingroom. The 2nd room was already crowded with the workout bench, so I had to put the weights in the corner of the livingroom. This also allows me to watch my big TV in the livingroom while working out, which saves time and makes it that much easier (for me, it mostly comes down to making the process as easy and pleasant as possible so I enjoy it more, which is why I spent hundreds on dumbbells to work out at home instead of getting a gym membership in the first place)
    3) I do a ton of different free weight exercises and I switch the plates in and out constantly. Each day I will focus on one or two muscle groups. 3-5 exercises in each group, 3-4 sets that include warmup and cooldown sets using different weights. That's a lot of weight switching if you do the math. Adjustable weights make it so much easier and faster. If I had to manually screw/unscrew plates all the time, I would go eventually get lazy and start skipping sets. That's when it starts to fall apart. It doesn't seem like a big deal, but they add up.

I couldn't be happier with the SelectTech dumbbells. They allowed me to do a fast and efficient workout in the comfort of my livingroom without taking up a lot of space. I've had them for a while and they seem pretty durable to me (you should never drop your weights anyway - releasing all that muscle tension at once by dropping weights is not good for you, and it often leads to bad form or injuries). I liked them so much that I sold my 52.5lbs SelectTechs to a friend and bought the 90lbs ones when they came out. I like the heavier ones, but I think most people would be fine with the 52.5lbs originals. They're smaller and easier to work with for many exercises, and they have a rubberized grip so you do not need workout gloves (the new ones have studded metal grips and are significantly bulkier).

So get them if you have the money, are limited on space, and want to eliminate every little inconvenience or obstacle from your workout. The last one was a huge factor for me. Let's face it. A lot of us are lazy and we need all the motivation we can get to work out. I've tried the gym, and there was no way in hell I'd waste the time to drive over to a gym and possibly waste more time waiting for equipment to work out. At home, I'm done in less than an hour and I do it while I'm watching my favorite shows in the comfort of my own livingroom. The results of a proper free weight workout are amazing - I'm sure you know that from the various workout threads in this forum. It's all about making that process easier for me, and it's worked so far. I hope that helps.

Toastie Toast on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It takes 15 seconds to swap weights off. That you do in your rest time regardless and all the weights you use on your dumbells can be used in your bench as well. With the money you save not buying an overly expensive device you can spend it on something useful, like I don't know, hookers or something.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Thanks for the other side toast, I will keep that in mind. I think I will get some cheap dumbbells and keep my eyes open for a used set of select techs.

The part about convenience is a big deal too. If I wasn't such a lazy bastard I wouldn't be out of shape in the first place. Thanks.

mellestad on
  • Options
    truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've got the Bowflex and like them. They are yet to break, but I also take care not to abuse them. When I used to workout in a gym people would just drop the free weights when done with their set which would break the Bowflex. With these all you need to do is set them down softly, this also just adds that slight bit more to your workout by taking the effort to set them down and not just drop them.

I wouldn't have bought them at the retail price though, I like them, but don't think they are worth the near $500 they try and charge for them. nearly $200 is charged for the stand they come with. I spoke with the manager at Dick's sporting goods and somehow convinced him to sell me the weights without the stand which took that price down (worth a try if you have no interest in the stand). Got mine during an after Christmas sale so that brought the price down to like $200. And on top of that I had a Dick's gift card given to me for x-mas which made the Bowflex into what I thought were an acceptable price range. So for the discount I got them at I am very pleased with them, but for $500 they really aren't worth it.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Shill alert.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Shill alert.
    Total Posts: 1 (1 posts per day)

Definitely.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    the best part is his post is taken word for word from the link

the wook on