As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Onstad Interview (Now with more Malki !)

• FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    thorpe wrote: »
    that stupid Cornelius/Stripper thing into the background for a while.
    you shut your stupid mouth

Faricazy on
  • thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Faricazy wrote: »
    thorpe wrote: »
    that stupid Cornelius/Stripper thing into the background for a while.
    you shut your stupid mouth

Ju wan' some mocha? was the only sweet spot of that entire arc.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    nope, he's right

the cornelius/stripper storyline was funny until they left Larry Borgioni's Cheetah Room

that said, who's down for a trip to Larry Borgioni's Bubble Lounge?

Clint Eastwood on
  • SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sunday, January 11, 2009
    Achewood State of the Union, 1/2009
    Dear Friends of the Library,

They say that the devil you don't know is worse than the devil you do. In that same spirit, I posit that the Achewood State of the Union update which you can read is better than the one which you can't.

If you've been following Achewood in any capacity for the last year, you've noticed changes afoot. Most particularly, I'm sure you've noticed that the strip itself, always the flagship of the enterprise, has run less frequently.

I want to apologize for that. After seven full and happy years, though, production of the strip has had to find space for itself among other projects. Book development, animation development, and most recently, the rapid relocation of my little family to another state. That's the big killer. We lived in Silicon Valley until today. Until three weeks ago, we thought we were going to live here forever. It's a complicated story involving eminent domain, the stewardship of the American financial continuum, and a poisonous dog named Nasturtium. I'll tell you about it sometime.

There's no way for me to do good work while taking care of my family and all of our interests during this move. You would see scabrous comics—literally injurious to the eyes—anxiously uploaded from a laptop in a stall at the Mount Shasta Bathe-n-Shat. You would see strips about crying. You would see shakily-drawn strips about cantaloupes with wedges missing, in a half-hearted attempt to ape that whole Shel Silverstein thing. It would be wrong.

I expect this official strip hiatus will last about two weeks. I hate not being able to produce it for your entertainment, but I would hate more to rush the work and injure the archives for the sake of quantity. Thank you for your patience and dedication, and please find a home for us in your RSS feed aggregator.

Sincerely,
    Chris Onstad

PS: All orders are being fulfilled, and there will still be Fanflow premium content during this time. Ain't nobody gonna get burned on this deal.

:|

Sal on
    xet8c.gif

• satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    that sucks

hopefully post-move he'll get things back on track. maybe? probably not, but oh well.

satansfingers on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    at least the new one this week was pretty great

honestly, it sounds like a hiatus is the best thing for him right now

and the "animation development" has me quite intrigued

Centipede Damascus on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Time for me to finally go through the archives, I suppose

L|ama on
  • McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Speaking of cats...

One of mine died this afternoon. :(

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Shifty FisterShifty Fister Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dang man that sucks, my sympathies.

Shifty Fister on
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    dang mccly

my condolences

TheySlashThem on
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    aw man mccly I'm sorry

YaYa on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sal wrote: »
    Sunday, January 11, 2009

They say that the devil you don't know is worse than the devil you do. In that same spirit, I posit that the Achewood State of the Union update which you can read is better than the one which you can't.

If you've been following Achewood in any capacity for the last year, you've noticed changes afoot. Most particularly, I'm sure you've noticed that the strip itself, always the flagship of the enterprise, has run less frequently.

I want to apologize for that. After seven full and happy years, though, production of the strip has had to find space for itself among other projects. Book development, animation development, and most recently, the rapid relocation of my little family to another state. That's the big killer. We lived in Silicon Valley until today. Until three weeks ago, we thought we were going to live here forever. It's a complicated story involving eminent domain, the stewardship of the American financial continuum, and a poisonous dog named Nasturtium. I'll tell you about it sometime.

There's no way for me to do good work while taking care of my family and all of our interests during this move. You would see scabrous comics—literally injurious to the eyes—anxiously uploaded from a laptop in a stall at the Mount Shasta Bathe-n-Shat. You would see strips about crying. You would see shakily-drawn strips about cantaloupes with wedges missing, in a half-hearted attempt to ape that whole Shel Silverstein thing. It would be wrong.

I expect this official strip hiatus will last about two weeks. I hate not being able to produce it for your entertainment, but I would hate more to rush the work and injure the archives for the sake of quantity. Thank you for your patience and dedication, and please find a home for us in your RSS feed aggregator.

Sincerely,
    Chris Onstad

PS: All orders are being fulfilled, and there will still be Fanflow premium content during this time. Ain't nobody gonna get burned on this deal.
    I like how he's magically finding the time to make comics for the people that are paying him.

Oh and sorry bout your cat, Mccly.

Clint Eastwood on
    edited January 2009
    the premium subscribers just get portions of strips to be published at a later date

why is everyone convinced they are getting all these secret comics, you can see the updates on the main page

satansfingers on
    edited January 2009
    because people like to believe themselves to be victims, it makes them feel self-righteous

Centipede Damascus on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I hope Onstad knows what he's doing.

The free strip is how you get people to show up at your website in the first place. Is he going to be surprised when sales drop during these two weeks?

Evander on
    edited January 2009
    the premium subscribers just get portions of strips to be published at a later date

why is everyone convinced they are getting all these secret comics, you can see the updates on the main page
    oh okay then

See I figured the premium stuff was actually worth something but that just sounds pointless. More pointless then subscribing to a fucking premium webcomic feed in the first place, actually.

Clint Eastwood on
    edited January 2009
    they also get mini-updates like the blogs and zines and stuff

satansfingers on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

wait, the blogs are subscriber only these days?

I never thought they were interesting enough to read when they were free. don't think I'd pay for that same content.

Evander on
    edited January 2009
    Evander wrote: »

wait, the blogs are subscriber only these days?

I never thought they were interesting enough to read when they were free. don't think I'd pay for that same content.

no no the blogs are still free, i meant mini-updates in the style of the blogs. i guess that was unclear. i love the blogs.

satansfingers on
    edited January 2009
    I liked Ray's advice column but the blogs never did it for me.

Except Lyle's blog, which was a work of art.

Clint Eastwood on
    edited January 2009
    Nice Pete's blog was always pretty great, especially the one where he goes to visit Rachel Ray.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Dangerou-DaveDangerou-Dave __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Cloudman wrote: »
    Sal wrote: »
    Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sincerely,
    Chris Onstad

I like how he's magically finding the time to make comics for the people that are paying him.

Do you realize how silly you sound?

Dangerou-Dave on
    edited January 2009
    guys someone post some more Achewood

I'm bored as shit at work and need my fix

YaYa on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I hear there's a site full of them somewhere where you can look at them.

L|ama on
    edited January 2009
    yeah but the forum is a lot less obtrusive than the achewood site

YaYa on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    the jan 12 update was gold classic achewood, especially the dialog in the last two panels.

i would much rather see a hiatus than see the injuring of the archive

DouglasDanger on
  • Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    s'more favorites, sans alt text

gunnysack.gif

operation.gif

weddingday.gif

You are my wife Ray!
    I am married to you!
    Today is our wedding!

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    why yes there is a piece of carrot in my ear

let me just remove that

TheySlashThem on
    edited January 2009
    Time to go through the archives again. Especially seeing as those books'll never show.

Shifty Fister on
    edited January 2009
    haha look what ryan north got

http://qwantz.livejournal.com/104142.html

mrtusks5.jpg

mrtusks6.jpg

the greatest thing

Faricazy on
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That person has a road map for hands.

ChicoBlue on
  • nateknatek unh unh Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    that is a very wrinkled hand

natek on
  • DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I miss webcomic thread. I feel like there are probably tons of funny comics I've missed because I only have few that I regularly check.

Drool on
    edited January 2009
    haha

20090115-1ec94y4s1786b33m6g5x9mw9p7.png

20090115-mupaeqwan9puis4rkh3bs2y8q4.png

Faricazy on
    edited January 2009
    Drool wrote: »
    I miss webcomic thread. I feel like there are probably tons of funny comics I've missed because I only have few that I regularly check.

Yeah well with potu gone the threads would probably be free from the frightening dredges of the webcomic world.

Shifty Fister on
  • Dangerou-DaveDangerou-Dave __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    http://www.isitfunnytoday.com/

is an alright site for getting your comics

Also, why not have another webcomic thread? We post about inane shit all day, anyway.
    Some of this artificial ______ thread scarcity stuff freaks me out sometimes. Potu is gone, right?

Dangerou-Dave on
    edited January 2009
    I thought they got banned by Tube after they turned into constant shit fests about CAD and other terrible comics. Or a constant bitch fest about how comic A is so much better than comic B and anyone who disagrees is a mongoloid.

Drool on
    edited January 2009
    I hold my hopes that one day we will be allowed to make them again.

Shifty Fister on
    edited January 2009
    This crazy Japanese shit was talked about all the damn time in old webcomic threads.

20090115.png

Gun Show is pretty great. Even though he seems to have canceled all his other comics for the moment I'm glad KC Green is still doing something. The man is a mad genius.

Drool on
  • TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Faricazy wrote: »
    haha look what ryan north got

http://qwantz.livejournal.com/104142.html
    mrtusks5.jpg

mrtusks6.jpg
    the greatest thing

Man, I call shennanigans. I don't think there are any stamps that small, and I doubt the post office would have postmarks that small.

emot-colbert.gif

Tossrock on
    sig.png