As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Lunar Knights

Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
I saw the trailer a couple days ago and was intrigued, definately one of the better game trailers I've seen recently. After looking into the game a little further today, I see that it's just been released. So does anyone have any early impressions about this game?

Trailer: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5436753921877099022&q=lunar+knights&hl=en

Man of the Waves on

• Thoughtless MuseThoughtless Muse Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    It's Boktai, except it takes everything good from Boktai, kills it, and replaces it with generic angsty teens, dark and light sidekicks, and shitty action gameplay. It's unBoktai, really. Kojima has been putting out some real shit lately.

Thoughtless Muse on
    GSCGyms.jpg
  • Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Yay! My thread has been crapped on by Thoughtless Muse!

I never played Boktai, but the sunlight sensors sounded like a neat gimmick. I'm pretty sure I haven't seen any copiess since I've had my Gameboy.

Man of the Waves on
    edited February 2007

I never played Boktai, but the sunlight sensors sounded like a neat gimmick. I'm pretty sure I haven't seen any copiess since I've had my Gameboy.

The solar sensor is really awesome, actually, and isn't even a requirement for most of the game (the piledriver boss fights and a handful of puzzles are the only exceptions). On my new game+ in Boktai1, I completed a good chunk of the game while playing only at night without a problem. Lunar Knights can use Boktai 1 or 2 as solar sensors if you want, as well.

Boktai 1 is an extremely good game. Quality through and through. I highly suggest it to everyone with a GBA, which should include just about everyone here.

Thoughtless Muse on
    GSCGyms.jpg
  • ze swift classze swift class Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I secretly hope this game is terrible because I don't want to spend more money buying it.

Looks damn good though.

ze swift class on
  • Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Watching a trailer for this game a long time ago was what convinced me to finally get a DS lite.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    IS DAT SUM SPACEWAVE? I'm more of a Throttle fan myself.

Sunlight sensors were cool gimmicks...until you went into the sun and the glare made the screen unviewable.

I was excited about this game, but when I heard that the cover art was done by the comic artist of Lullaby, it became a must-buy for me. 8)

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Oh shit, this is out?

Fuck, this or Diddy Kong Racing?

Bloods End on
  • GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    It's Boktai, except it takes everything good from Boktai, kills it, and replaces it with generic angsty teens, dark and light sidekicks, and shitty action gameplay. It's unBoktai, really. Kojima has been putting out some real shit lately.
    http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3156990

Sorry to disappoint, Muse, but apparently it's really quite good.

Graviija on
    edited February 2007
    Graviija wrote:

Goddamnit, why did I choose super saver shipping for this game?!

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • davidbarrydavidbarry Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

Nice of you to assume a game is shit before you've played it.

davidbarry on
    davidbarry.jpg
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Oh man, I'm so getting this. Too many good DS games. It's amazing. My DS collection is quickly eclipsing my GBA collection.

slash000 on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007

It's still called Boktai in Japan.

Sheep on
  • KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I plan to get this, though it may have to wait a few weeks.
    Kojima has been putting out some real shit lately.
    ...Like what? This is the first Kojima game since Portable Ops, which was apparently great. Before that was either Subsistence or Ac!d^2, both of which were quite good as well.

Kaputa on
  • etoychestetoychest Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Bloods End wrote:
    Oh shit, this is out?

Diddy Kong Racing DS is crap. This, on the other hand, has kept me quite busy the last couple of days. Fun stuff.

etoychest on
    edited February 2007
    etoychest wrote:
    Bloods End wrote:
    Oh shit, this is out?

Diddy Kong Racing DS is crap. This, on the other hand, has kept me quite busy the last couple of days. Fun stuff.

Is DKR a port of the N64 game (minus the Rare IP of course)?

slash000 on
    edited February 2007
    etoychest, I assume a review is forthcoming?

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
    edited February 2007
    slash000 wrote:
    etoychest wrote:
    Bloods End wrote:
    Oh shit, this is out?

I was talking to a few other folks about this. I didn't play the N64 original, but I can say that being forced to sit through an agonizing adventure mode when all I want to do is race is uncalled for.

etoychest on
    edited February 2007
    etoychest, I assume a review is forthcoming?

Yea, I am penning like 4 reviews right now....so behind....Winning 11 just arrived as well. Blarg.

etoychest on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    etoychest wrote:
    slash000 wrote:
    etoychest wrote:
    Bloods End wrote:
    Oh shit, this is out?

I was talking to a few other folks about this. I didn't play the N64 original, but I can say that being forced to sit through an agonizing adventure mode when all I want to do is race is uncalled for.
    sounds pretty faitfull to the origional.

(friends of mine refused to play the clearly superior MK64, because DKR 'has planes' :evil: )

LewieP on
    edited February 2007
    LewieP wrote:
    etoychest wrote:
    slash000 wrote:
    etoychest wrote:
    Bloods End wrote:
    Oh shit, this is out?

(friends of mine refused to play the clearly superior MK64, because DKR 'has planes' :evil: )

No, I love the vehicles....but the game...well it just has issues. Ill have my review up soon for what it's worth.

etoychest on
  • StriderEdgeStriderEdge Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

The solar sensor is really awesome, actually, and isn't even a requirement for most of the game (the piledriver boss fights and a handful of puzzles are the only exceptions). On my new game+ in Boktai1, I completed a good chunk of the game while playing only at night without a problem. Lunar Knights can use Boktai 1 or 2 as solar sensors if you want, as well.

Boktai 1 is an extremely good game. Quality through and through. I highly suggest it to everyone with a GBA, which should include just about everyone here.

Boktai 1 was a great game. I will disagree with the game being playable at night. Say what you will but the piledriver sections are necessary to advance the game further. It would be like getting to Shadow Man on Mega Man 3 and him being unbeatable unless it was sunny outside. Sure you could beat every other boss but you'd still be unable to continue without beating him. Considering that I was still in school when the game came out it was a chore to find time to play the game between a 21 credit hour school semester and a 30 - 40 work week.

I'm looking forward to Lunar Knights tommorrow. Now I have 2 games that can use Boktai 2 in the DS GBA slot for extra features. :)

StriderEdge on
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, the original had a "story mode." I watched a short video of the game online, and it showed Diddy driving through the little doorways to the various things, and I figured that either this is a port (minus Rare stuff) or a new game in an extremely similar vein as the original...

slash000 on
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    LIBERATE THE PARASOL

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    etoychest wrote:
    LewieP wrote:

No, I love the vehicles....but the game...well it just has issues. Ill have my review up soon for what it's worth.
    Yeah, I didn't have a problem with the vehicles, its just my dumb friends liked it soley because it 'had planes'

LewieP on
    edited February 2007
    Graviija wrote:

Sorry, already saw it and laughed. Almost everything I've ever seen written or said by Parish I've disagreed with completely.
    davidbarry wrote:

So, going out to buy some shovelware today, eh? Hey, you don't know that it's bad, you haven't played it.

Thoughtless Muse on
    GSCGyms.jpg
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    On one side we have someone who played the game and says it's good, on the other side we have You, who says the game is shit without even having played it. Hmmm who to beleive... what a difficult choice

This does not mean we should follow a single reviewer's opinion, but it certainly has more weight than yours.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    davidbarry wrote:

So, going out to buy some shovelware today, eh? Hey, you don't know that it's bad, you haven't played it.
    Yes, because clearly a Kojima produced spiritual sequel to Boktai is comparable to shovelware.

People avoid shovelware because it is shit 95% of the time. Kojima Productions' games are rarely, if ever, shit. I'm not a fan of Parish either, but there's really no reason to assume this game isn't good.

Kaputa on
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    EGM have this a 7/8/9 and 1UP gave this a 9. I know they're idiots blahblahblah, but they're tough reviewers, so it's worth noting when they give out good score.

I kind of want to buy this but the isometric view looks a little awkward to me, I dunno.

bruin on
  • victory rosevictory rose Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I wanted to get it when I thought it was a Lunar of silver star game fame

still kinda want it

victory rose on
    that+darn+blake.jpg
    edited February 2007

And neither have you.

So, you know. Shut the fuck up. No one cares about your grandstanding or your cries for attention.
    Yes, because clearly a Kojima produced spiritual sequel to Boktai is comparable to shovelware.

It is a sequel to Boktai. Konami, for some reason, wants to distance the game to the Boktai series here in the States, for some reason or the other. I suppose because the first two games sold like dirt.

Sheep on
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I was quite disappointed to see 1up jizzing all over this game today. I had no intentions of getting it, but now I believe I am compelled.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Man, it pains me that Muse is looking forward to Heroes since it's almost a death sentence.

It's going to be great though because he's going make an OP for it then on page 5 he's going shit all over it and return it then maybe buy it again when it's 20 dollars.

JJ on
    edited February 2007
    I was quite disappointed to see 1up jizzing all over this game today. I had no intentions of getting it, but now I believe I am compelled.
    You don't have to buy every good game.

I end up not buying a shit ton of the games I'm looking forward to because of money or time.

Edit: I'm a bit of a fan of Parish. I enjoy his podcast. I just kinda realized a few days ago there's a good chance he might be gay. just kind of shocking to assume someone is of one sexual orientation and then you realize he's of another.

JJ on
  • The_DcipleThe_Dciple Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    From everything I've see/read about Jeremy Perish, I'm pretty sure everyday when he wakes up he jerks off to the map of Japan.

The_Dciple on
    edited February 2007
    The_Dciple wrote:
    From everything I've see/read about Jeremy Perish, I'm pretty sure everyday when he wakes up he jerks off to the map of Japan.
    I don't know, you apply that test here a lot of people would be jerking off on their physical representation of choice of Nintendo.

Except terrorbyte. He pretty much hates everything so I don't know about him.

JJ on
    edited February 2007
    Sheep on
  • Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The_Dciple wrote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I did enjoy the first two Boktai. Both successfully had their own feel to it while preserving the same basic gameplay experience. I'll have to check this out ASAP. Anyone get their hands on it yet?

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Neo Rasa wrote:
    The_Dciple wrote:

I did enjoy the first two Boktai. Both successfully had their own feel to it while preserving the same basic gameplay experience. I'll have to check this out ASAP. Anyone get their hands on it yet?
    I've been playinga tiny bit. Kinda not liking the whole isometric controls with the lite's d-pad. otherwise awesome so far, but i've only been playing like 20 minutes

ronzo on
  • Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Do they give an option like in Marble Madness as to whether or not you want the controls angled (so that hitting up on the direction pad makes the character move northeast)?

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
    edited February 2007
    Neo Rasa wrote:
    The_Dciple wrote:

I'm about an hour in. Voice acting, anime cutscene, nice graphics, battle system is pretty cool, nice varied and sometimes jazzy soundtrack...

Definitely enjoying it so far.

Sheep on