As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ein's New Jersey 40k Paintaplayadrinkathon - BOOZE FOR THE BOOZE GOD!

EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
edited January 2009 in Critical Failures
Dear New Jersey-based Forumers

Are you available on Saturday, January 17th? Do you like big Warhammer 40k games? Are you willing to help Ein retain the shredded remnants of his sanity? Read on.

After a bit of analysis, I have come to the conclusion that I have way too many unpainted orks. I have 140 unpainted Assault on Black Reach boyz alone, not to mention the legions of boyz in parts in bins scattered around my apartment. This is a tremendously depressing obstacle, since seeing that much unpainted plastic tends to unhinge most people's sanity, and I am no exception. It's obvious that, left to my own devices, these things (and thus, a bulk of my army) is never getting painted.

This is an attempt to change that.

On January 17th, I will be throwing open my doors in the hopes that some of you might be willing to help by picking up a brush and laying down the law (and acrylic paint) on this horde.

> Why on earth would I help you paint your own stuff, you lazy son of a bitch?

Good question. This event is half humanitarian, half megabattle, and half party.

First, I will be furnishing whoever participates with pizza and drinks (including alcohol later in the evening) in relative abundance. I am warning you all now that most of the non-alcohol-related drinks will probably be diet sodas or things like seltzer, because I am diabetic and I don't want to get stuck with fourty cartons of regular Coke and shit that I can never have.

By the evening of the 17th rolls around, we will have hopefully dealt some significant damage to the unpainted hordes. At that point, the alcohol will get uncorked, and we will head into the lounge of my apartment building. Once there, we're going to commandeer the pool table, cover it up with a board, and throw down a megabattle of debaucherous proportions. I expect this battle to drag on into the wee hours of Sunday morning, at which point we will all probably be thoroughly hammered, tired, and sick of miniatures entirely.

Bonus: The winner of the megabattle will receive the magnificent prize of being allowed to smack me in the head, execution style, with a wiffle bat. It will, of course, be recorded for posterity.

So essentially:

In exchange for help painting my hordes in a party setting, I will feed and inebriate you, and we will then play apocalypse games. Pictures will be taken. A good time will most likely be had. Someone will probably fall down some stairs.

> This sounds stupid but tell me more

Okay.

WHERE: 1180 Raymond Boulevard, Newark, New Jersey.
WHEN: Saturday, January 17, 2009. Painting starts at noon!

> How do I get there?

You can drive here, but parking in Newark is dumb. Weekend parking at the neighboring facility, from Saturday into Sunday, will cost $18. That might be too much trouble for most folks.

However, my building also has the undisputed benefit of being a block away from Newark Penn Station. This means that you can easily take the trains in if you want to participate. Truthfully, I'm not sure if that's cheaper than the cost of parking, but you don't have to worry about driving/parking in Newark, and it's probably faster than driving for some folks.

> Tell me about the painting.

Prior to the 17th, I will have all of the orks prepped and primed; mold lines removed, flash cleaned up, sprues clipped, limbs pinned where necessary, and a coat of white spray primer will be applied to every single mini. All of my brushes, vallejo and citadel paints, and tools will be available to you. The Assault on Black Reach orks are all left in individual pieces to make painting easier, meaning arms, heads, and bodies are all separate. I expect all of these will be mounted on tooth picks, with a chunk of styrene handy to stick parts in.

I'm using white primer because it'll be easier to achieve uniform results. Basically, painting an ork boy would be really straightforward: Base coat skin in a bright color (goblin green), base coat the clothes whatever damn color you feel like. Then, use the citadel washes on it. Viola, model done. (The bright base coat is intended to serve as the 'highlight' color; washing over that will produce good results). By painting in this two-step way, it'll make it real easy for everyone to achieve pretty uniform results.

I'll also have bases prepped and primed black, for anyone who's willing to help but knows they're not a very good painter. They'll be set up so you can simply drybrush them desert-y colors, and we'll be all set.

Lastly, for anyone who wants to participate, but is terrified of picking up a paint brush, I'd also be happy to have you help me clip the hundred thousand sprues I have scattered around my apartment, because I really need to do that, as well.

> Tell me about the game.

The game will begin Saturday evening. I'm guessing around 8:00 is a good time. I cannot tell you all how long the game will go, but I anticipate it to extend into the wee hours of Sunday morning. You should do the same.

We'll be moving into the lounge of my apartment building, which is a nice and open space. We'll be using the pool table as our gaming surface. I will be covering the pool table up with some sort of hard surface (wooden planks, etc) so we're obviously not playing directly on the pool table, but I anticipate a playing surface of about 4x8.

Depending on how many people we get, the size and scope of the game will change. As of right now, I'm going to suggest each player brings a 2,000 point list. If you don't have 2,000 points, don't worry, because I have no doubt someone else will be willing to make up for the point difference.

It'll be played by pretty standard Apocalypse rules. I may add one or two things (like, scenario-related happenings), but I still have to work that stuff out.

The victor of the game will not be decided by Kill Points or any of that other crap. Obviously, if one player tables everything else, they're the winner. In less clear circumstances, we'll leave it up to the tyranny of the majority: Whoever the group thinks deserves to be the winner, wins. In event of a draw, D6 it. Easy! Why?

The winner gets the magnificent prize of being able to deliver their fiercest blow to my cranium with a wiffle-bat, post game. We'll obviously put this on youtube, doubly so if I manage to lose an eye in the process.

Final note: If you show up in time for the game and skip painting entirely, everyone present is allowed to take turns beating on you with said wiffle bat for an indeterminate amount of time.

What happens after this?

Well, there are two options. You can either stay at my apartment for the night/morning and sleep off whatever you've drank, or go the hell home. As of right now, I have no spare sleeping surfaces. All three of the sleepable surfaces in my apartment have been spoken for (Bed, futon, sofa). If you bring yourself a sleeping bag, or inflatable bed or something, and don't mind sleeping on the floor, you're welcome to spend the night.

I'm kicking you all out by midday Sunday because I am still a responsible law student with things to do. :P

If you take the train, you might find it easier to get home at whatever godforsaken hour in the morning we decide to quit on Sunday. The parking garage adjacent to my building is, however, open 24 hours, so you can get to your vehicle whenever.

> Anything else I should know?

AS OF RIGHT NOW, WE HAVE 6 ATTENDEES: and fuck I don't feel like updating this list constantly right now

Myself (I should hope so)
Wulf
My out-of-state buddy Brian
Another dude named Mike
Dakkabu, from the-waaagh.com's forums
The Count of Midget Fisto

Based on the current composition of attendees, it is important I toss out this disclaimer:

DO NOT COME IF YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO HANDLE ABOUT 14 HOURS OF TASTELESS JOKES, ETC.

Because that's basically what you're in for.

Please LET ME KNOW YOU ARE COMING by the first week in Jan. or so, so I have some idea of how much room/food I have to provide.

Ein on

• LexingtonLexington Registered User new member
    edited December 2008
    Ein wrote: »
    DO NOT COME IF YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO HANDLE ABOUT 14 HOURS OF TASTELESS JOKES, ETC.
    This part cannot be stated strongly enough. One attendee (ie. me) was once nearly sued for making rather public reference to the diddling of young boys by the executive class of Games Workshop, and another (Mike) loudly and proudly refers to himself of "the Tom Selleck of dragging you into a van and committing federal crimes."

Lexington on
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hmm, I'll think about it.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ein if I promise to paint enough of your orks will you fly me over? :P

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • TheGreatestAliasEverTheGreatestAliasEver Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Damn you Ein. Damn you till you can no longer be damned anymore. I want to come so badly, and you live so damn close, but I'm a minor and uncertain if i can procure the means/permissions to attend.

Maybe we can get some staged "dragged intot he back of a van" going on, if it'll get me there with no fuss :winky:

TheGreatestAliasEver on
  • WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I have candy, get in the van!

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Damn you Ein. Damn you till you can no longer be damned anymore. I want to come so badly, and you live so damn close, but I'm a minor and uncertain if i can procure the means/permissions to attend.

Maybe we can get some staged "dragged intot he back of a van" going on, if it'll get me there with no fuss :winky:

If you can get the okay and the means to come, you're absolutely welcome to, but I want to make sure that we're clear that under no conditions are you procuring alcohol through this, because I could get in worlds of shit (if I get charged with anything related to serving minors I can get kicked out of law school).

Ein on
  • SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Fly me there from Nebraska, and I'll paint half those damn Orks myself.

SJ on
  • Mad JazzMad Jazz gotta go fast AustinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Just relocate to Austin and I'm there.

Mad Jazz on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited December 2008
    Look, SJ and Jazz, I think it's obvious that when you properly weigh the costs of getting here against the costs of painting stuff for me, you'll be purchasing tickets for your vehicular transportation of choice.

In all seriousness, though, I'm looking at a total of 6 people right now (waiting on a verification of the 6th's method if getting here before I say yes for sure) and I have no doubt that in the course of a few hours hundreds, if not thousands of points of greenskins will finally see color.

Pictures will be taken in abundance for all of you losers who live in other stupid states or countries.

Ein on
  • SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I do have a cousin that lives in the D.C. area. I could threaten his life to have him go help you.

Hmm, maybe tim and I could roadtrip up there... that's during our winter break, I believe...

SJ on
  • GahmriousGahmrious Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Damnit Ein! Go on a world tour or some shit, and come to Colorado. Fuck Jersey, and drive west with your models, and I shall paint for days.

Totally ruined my day.

Gahmrious on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Lexington wrote: »
    This part cannot be stated strongly enough. One attendee (ie. me) was once nearly sued for making rather public reference to the diddling of young boys by the executive class of Games Workshop, and another (Mike) loudly and proudly refers to himself of "the Tom Selleck of dragging you into a van and committing federal crimes."

It's unlikely, but were you with Misfire, the webcomic? Isn't that how they got shut down?

Also, I might come up depending on what class is like at the time.

PolloDiablo on
  • The Count Of Midget FistoThe Count Of Midget Fisto Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm down for this. Keep me away from painting though, I can do really simple stuff but anything else wouldn't even come close your quality.

The Count Of Midget Fisto on
    In Low Orbit Over Budapest
    edited December 2008
    I'm down for this. Keep me away from painting though, I can do really simple stuff but anything else wouldn't even come close your quality.

We can put you on base-painting drybrush duty. :P

When you get a chance, send me a PM and let me know how you intend on getting here, if you're staying the night, that sort of thing.

Also, your beverage of choice. 8-)

Ein on
  • LexingtonLexington Registered User new member
    edited December 2008
    Lexington wrote: »
    It's unlikely, but were you with Misfire, the webcomic? Isn't that how they got shut down?
    Yep, that was me (and my old roommate), though we weren't "shut down" as such - I just stopped doing the strip after that whole fiasco. Such is life.

Lexington on
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    1. You totally need to have a webcam going for us who don't live on the east coast. Let us enjoy the fun of painting!

2. I think I'll spend the same day painting my orks, who have no paint whatsoever as it stands.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Y'know what, this sounds like fun. Count me in. Also, I can bring Epic and BFG. I also know how to mix drinks.

I have many uses, most of the legal.

And I drink Hoegaarden. Or any regular lager mixed with mango juice.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Y'know what, this sounds like fun. Count me in. Also, I can bring Epic and BFG. I also know how to mix drinks.

I have many uses, most of the legal.

And I drink Hoegaarden. Or any regular lager mixed with mango juice.

You like Hoegaarden and warhammer? We should totally hang out

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • ScribemiteScribemite Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm game. I miss you and Wulf sniff sniff.

Scribemite on
    edited December 2008
    I will have you guys know that I am purchasing a folding ping pong table just so that we'll have a vast expanse upon which to paint and play. :P

Whether or not this will fit in my apartment is another matter entirely, but I'll figure it out.

Ein on
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    God damn..that sounds like a blast...too bad I live in San Diego, and now that I think about it, I haven't touched my chaos army in months. I still have a shitload of stuff to paint myself.

Dark_Side on
    edited December 2008
    I will have you guys know that I am purchasing a folding ping pong table just so that we'll have a vast expanse upon which to paint and play. :P

Whether or not this will fit in my apartment is another matter entirely, but I'll figure it out.

We'll make it fit! You still have that tape on the floor?

Scribemite on
    edited December 2008
    Scribemite wrote: »

We'll make it fit! You still have that tape on the floor?

I do. We may have to seriously rearrange the layout of my apartment for that to work, though.

I refuse to play on the floor mostly because of my back problems. I can't walk after I do something like that, and a big game is likely to drag on a long while.

It may end up that we need to reserve the basketball half-court in my apartment building's basement to fit this thing in. :P

Ein on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So long as that's cheaper than the lounge. :P

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • TheGreatestAliasEverTheGreatestAliasEver Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well i just got the negative from the parental units, ein. Sorry for being a drag!

In memorium of my missing this, paint up at least ONE ork different from the rest, and write on his base "Thegreatestorkever" or some such thing.

Such has it been ordered, and so shall it be!

TheGreatestAliasEver on
    edited December 2008
    I'll paint _one_ ork out of the horde with red and green eyes. Then you'll just have to find it. Like 'Where's Waldo,' only with more choppas.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Where's WAAAAAGGGHHHldo

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    edited December 2008
    So there's been an absolutely hilarious complication in this.

I had a Torts final exam today, this morning (The 19th). My law school, in it's incredible benevolence, has decided to cancel all of the exams taking place today due to inclement weather, despite the fact that there is absolutely no snow on the ground whatsoever. Like, it is dry as a bone outside my window. I can see the law school from my apartment. But! Apparently, I get extra time to study for my final, so huzzah for me, etc.

Now, there's a complication here. They have rescheduled my Torts exam for, you guessed it, Jan. 17th. I guess this is so they don't screw people up who had travel plans for the 20th to go back home for the holidays. Of course, this screws me up something fierce, in that the 17th was my planned day for festivities. I have not been told what time the exams are at on the 17th, but it's safe to assume they're around noon like every other final exam I've had at law school has been.

So, therein lies the problem. I'm trying to figure out how to deal with this. The easiest possible solution would probably be to bump it forward or backwards a week, so that I don't lose my mind trying to organize everyone while walking into my Torts final exam.

I need to hear from you guys that are coming as to what you think you might want to do.

Ein on
    edited December 2008
    That sucks Ein, that you now have to wait in agony for the exam. But I guess good in a way, like you say.

The Saturday before and the Saturday after will not be good for me, I fear. Nor will the last Saturday of January. Perhaps next time you do this.

Give me a shout when you (and Wulf and any others) are up for playing a game of 40K in the local store or in that lounge or something. I haven't played in a long while.

Scribemite on
    edited January 2009
    Sorry ya'll, but I'm going to make it. Inaugeration makes it either too expensive, or too difficult to get back home on Monday.

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited January 2009
    Okay. I am apparently made of alcohol. I told my folks about the event and that I was going to have to go liquor shopping and they were nice enough to surprise me yesterday by bringing about $150 of alcohol to my apartment. I quite literally do not have room for food in my fridge right now. I've got two 36-packs of your standard Bud Light and Miller swill, some Soco and Skyy, a good amount of Bacardi Rum drinks and some margaritas to top it all off.

I hope you guys drink a lot, because if you leave me with all this booze I am going to have to become an alcoholic just to get some of my fridge space back.

Everything else is still on for Sunday the 18th. Painting starts at noon - get here earlier than that so you have time to unpack/unwind. We'll paint till 6, then head down into my building's conference room and throw down some Warhammer on their fancy meeting table.

I previously said to put together a 2k list, and I would hope you all still do that. However, if you guys have enough models to manage it, also put together a 3k list - I am not sure how many people are bringing what, exactly, so a bit of flexibility in the army lists would help speed things along nicely.

Ein on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That is nearly enough to put me on a trans-Atlantic flight!

Good luck with the torts exam, Ein. It's not fun, I know.

Wildcat on
    edited January 2009
    God damn it, Ein, that's not fair, that's not fair at all. You need to have another one of these things - I know you have the models for it. :P

Gabriel_Pitt on