As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Rooster Cogburn's [Chat]-Corral

• crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    My mom's got them young genes, but considering I've already been mistaken for her husband (and she's 59), I'm pretty sure I'm aging more like my dad.

crawdaddio on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My dad looks more and more like Saddam Hussein with each passing year.

MKR on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I am definitely starting to feel a little pressure to accomplish more. I wouldn't say I feel old but I am feeling some pressure. 23 in a few months.

rts on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    hahahaha MKR....

Maybe I don't feel "old" so much as "wow the past year fucking flew by"

Also I'm one year closer to saggy boobs and not being able to hike up a mountain :(

I want to be mobile for as long as possible, I think once it's hard to get around I'll be super :C

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So you know how employers like to know how much time you spent on particular pieces of artwork?

If I'm putting something in my portfolio, and I don't remember how much time I put into it...should I say "I don't know" and leave that out...or should i put in the amount of time I think it would've taken me to do? It's a recent piece so however long it took me wouldn't be too far off to how fast I could do it now.

I'd just feel weird leaving that out if it's asked for.

NightDragon on
    edited January 2009
    Okay, no. You're not allowed to do that. You of all people should not be feeling pressure to accomplish more, because it makes me feel like maybe I should be feeling pressure. Especially at 23. I kinda thought you were older than me.

EDIT: And ND, I would say to go with the estimate. If you're reasonably sure it'd have taken you that long, I can't see it being dishonest or anything.

crawdaddio on
    edited January 2009
    I haven't had too many people ask how long I spent on something, but I don't talk to many video game art directors.

rts on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I am getting better with each passing year.

If you guys are mad about getting older, you are probably doing it wrong.

NotASenator on
    edited January 2009
    I'm not mad, I'm just...I dunno, I'm not sure I'm ready yet; it's going too fast. Still means I'm probably doing it wrong.

crawdaddio on
  • PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ND: I've never had anyone at an interview ask me how much time i spent on artwork. Also i don't see it commonly listed on most portfolios.

Edit: I turned 25 this year. Not so bad.

PROX on
  • BetelgeuseBetelgeuse Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am getting better with each passing year.

If you guys are mad about getting older, you are probably doing it wrong.

High five, I was just about to say this. I definitely look older than I did when I was 21, and I think it's awesome. I'm also a lot smarter than I was back then and it's totally worth the couple wrinkles I've got. Try aging with grace, you whiny babies!

Betelgeuse on
  • srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Old people.

Ha.

...oh god, I hate everyone my age.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
    edited January 2009
    Well, sure, it's easy to age gracefully when you've got a turnip for a head.

crawdaddio on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    hahahaha MKR....

Maybe I don't feel "old" so much as "wow the past year fucking flew by"

Also I'm one year closer to saggy boobs and not being able to hike up a mountain :(

I want to be mobile for as long as possible, I think once it's hard to get around I'll be super :C

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So you know how employers like to know how much time you spent on particular pieces of artwork?

If I'm putting something in my portfolio, and I don't remember how much time I put into it...should I say "I don't know" and leave that out...or should i put in the amount of time I think it would've taken me to do? It's a recent piece so however long it took me wouldn't be too far off to how fast I could do it now.

I'd just feel weird leaving that out if it's asked for.

You know, I've never worried about my physical prowess deteriorating, but the idea of my cognitive functions fading away is terrifying.

Tam on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited January 2009
    Whenever I start feeling old I just go look up some article by bonafide crazy motherfucker Ray Kurzweil, and remind myself each passing year is just one step closer to having an ultrabrain and immortal robotic testicles.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, my grandmother has Alzheimers, and it's kind of sad to see this incredibly smart and accomplished woman have to deal with it......although physically, she'd go swimming every other day until she was like 83...I'm striving for a similar goal when I'm older. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And thanks for the replies, guys...I think I'll just leave it out, then, unless it's been specifically asked for (some places I've seen ask for time spent on each piece).

NightDragon on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I feel old when I talk to kids about GI Joe and they look at me like I'm making it up. Other than that, I feel (and apparently look) 18.

Edit: I look back and I'm happy with my life. 26 is gonna rock!

MagicToaster on
    edited January 2009
    I've never seen "time spent on each piece" is required part of portfolio submission other than at schools that want to see some gestures or whatever. That seems more like a 'casually going through your portfolio at an on-site interview' kind of question; when I get that I usually say something equally casual like "a couple hours" or "maybe half an hour?" or "a couple days", not a precise measurement like "25 hours, 10 minutes and 34 seconds. This figure does not include bathroom breaks."

I wouldn't worry about it.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited January 2009
    Coo. :)

NightDragon on
    edited January 2009
    Whenever I start feeling old I just go look up some article by bonafide crazy motherfucker Ray Kurzweil, and remind myself each passing year is just one step closer to having an ultrabrain and immortal robotic testicles.

Unfortunately, we were never promised robesticles. But I swear, if I don't have an immortal cyber brain by 2040, I am going to piss on Kurzweil's grave.

...Man, the singularity's not going to happen in our lifetime- if it ever happens at all.

Tam on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Or maybe it already happened, and all that is happening now is all in the mind of some super intelligent cyborg.

MKR on
    edited January 2009
    MKR wrote: »
    Or maybe it already happened, and all that is happening now is all in the mind of some super intelligent cyborg.

nah

Tam on
    edited January 2009
    Tam wrote: »

Unfortunately, we were never promised robesticles. But I swear, if I don't have an immortal cyber brain by 2040, I am going to piss on Kurzweil's grave.

We haven't cured cancer or AIDS or any number of horrible serious diseases yet, but we suffer such a glut of development in the field of wang research that you can't watch television for over 3 minutes without being forced to watch an innuendo-laden wink-wink nudge-nudge commercial about how grandpa got his willy back in action and you really think that robotesticles aren't going to be right at the forefront of the transhuman movement?

You don't understand human motivation at all, do you?

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited January 2009
    Tam wrote: »

We haven't cured cancer or AIDS or any number of horrible serious diseases yet, but we suffer such a glut of development in the field of wang research that you can't watch television for over 3 minutes without being forced to watch an innuendo-laden wink-wink nudge-nudge commercial about how grandpa got his willy back in action and you really think that robotesticles aren't going to be right at the forefront of the transhuman movement?

You don't understand human motivation at all, do you?

Ha!

All they can do you is make your wang harder. You come back to me when a pill can actually make a bigger donger.

Tam on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    What, you don't watch infomercials?

ExtenZe make you larger in the pants!!!

earthwormadam on
    edited January 2009
    I really works.

Something makes me think solving erectile dysfunction is a lot easier than curing AIDs and cancer.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
    edited January 2009
    Obviously you don't check your spam folder very often.

Also I hear tell that women and some men have had access to mechadongers for quite some time now, with features you can't get on a normal donger. Motorized, dishwasher-safe. Try putting your donger in a dishwasher and see how that comes out.

True mechadongers are going to be way easier to do than true mechabrains.

True Mechadonger and the Mechabrains would be an excellent name for a band. [/Dave Berry]

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Everytime I see a commercial for that scam, I want to watch eXistenZ. William Dafoe ftw.

earthwormadam on
    edited January 2009
    Man, The Epic of Gilgamesh is pretty great. The names are awesome: Gilgamesh, Ishtar, Enkidu, Uruk, Humbaba, the list goes on.

Tam on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Everytime I see a commercial for that scam, ...

Wait wait wait.

You're saying the tv lies to me? D:

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
    edited January 2009
    "Great" is never how I'd describe Gilgamesh.

srsizzy on
    edited January 2009
    srsizzy wrote: »
    "Great" is never how I'd describe Gilgamesh.

that's because you're retarded

Tam on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I want to watch Blade Runner, like right now! God dammit I hate work, it's such a fucking inconvenience to my intensive schedule of sitting on the couch, watching movies and thinking about what I really should be doing.

Mustang on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Mustang wrote: »
    I want to watch Blade Runner, like right now!

Do it anyway, and invite your boss to watch it. If he says no, he is not a man worth working for.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
    edited January 2009
    So, there's this Chinese place near where I am. Chinese food, run by Chinese people, Chinese restaurant ambiance.

But if you don't want Chinese, you can apparently order Italian food instead. It's not Chinese/Italian fusion, there's just a completely different menu. Do I dare ever order off the Italian menu? It just seems so...random.

(It's especially funny that the Italian menu let's you order a "Chinese Chicken Salad", but the Chinese menu doesn't.)

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited January 2009
    Wait...which place is this?

rts on
    edited January 2009
    "Chinatown" on Leucadia, by the 7-11.

There can't be two Chinese/Italian joints in this town, can there?

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited January 2009
    You know those drawings that one might mistake for photos at first glance? I find the reverse to be true fr this:

http://zvegi.deviantart.com/art/Portrait-with-kid-58186568

most probably something to do with exposure or some such photo stuff

Tam on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Surreal exposure for sure, though I do suspect a few filters have been used, diffused glow in particular.

Mustang on
  • PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Damn I missed the mechadonger conversation! I feel empty inside.

PROX on
    edited January 2009
    Damn, I am bad at doing boring preliminary work. :(

Preliminary work? No problem. Excessive preliminary work? We've got problems.

It's all your fault, internet! I hate you! I'm never talking to you again! D:

*slams door*

NightDragon on
This discussion has been closed.