As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How to cook brown rice - Rice Cooker

winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey fellas,

Ive been trying to cook brown rice, twice now in my rice cooker. I make it the exact same was as i would white rice, but it always turns out a little crunchy. Is brown rice supposed to be this way, or am i supposed to add a different amounts (extra) water compared to what i would with white rice? Cheers for any help.

winter_combat_knight on

• Options
    Sol InvictusSol Invictus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Brown rice is supposed to be a little crunchy because it contains fibre, unlike white rice, which is bad for your health because it's made entirely of starch.

Sol Invictus on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Brown rice does take longer to cook than white rice, and often requires more water. It is not supposed to be more crunchy (unless a dish calls for it), and fiber really isn't "crunchy" (it's just food matter that you cannot digest. Metamucil has fiber, and it's a frickin' powder to put in liquids).

Relevant link:
    http://startcooking.com/blog/253/How-to-Cook-Brown-Rice

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah. Depending on the type of brown rice, it will take much much longer to cook. Sometimes, I end up having to add more water into the pot when cooking it because it still is way too firm.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Forbe! wrote: »
    Yeah. Depending on the type of brown rice, it will take much much longer to cook. Sometimes, I end up having to add more water into the pot when cooking it because it still is way too firm.

Me too.

It's supposed to have more "texture" than white rice...and I guess you could call that "crunchy", but be sure you're not just undercooking it and making it "crunchy" that way.

Brown rice also does take much longer to cook sometimes, when I do it on the stovetop it usually takes about 45 minutes. It's worth it though! Tastier and much healthier.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I do brown rice in a pot. One cup of brown takes about 5-6 cups of water, and 25-30 mins to cook. It's so worth it though. Tastier, healthier, more filling. One cup can serve 3 people if you're not huge eaters.

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My rice cooker calls for roughly 1.5 cups of water per 1 cup of white rice.

It calls for 2 cups and 2 tblspoons of water per 1 cup of brown rice.

Generally I need to babysit the brown rice too, to make sure it doesn't stick to the sides too much and dry out.

It shouldn't be crunchy.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    Sol InvictusSol Invictus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I guess I've been making brown rice all wrong then.

Sol Invictus on
  • Options
    ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Aphostile wrote: »
    My rice cooker calls for roughly 1.5 cups of water per 1 cup of white rice.

It calls for 2 cups and 2 tblspoons of water per 1 cup of brown rice.

Generally I need to babysit the brown rice too, to make sure it doesn't stick to the sides too much and dry out.

It shouldn't be crunchy.

Really? When I boil brown rice I don't need to babysit at all. White rice gets all fluffy and sticks to the bottom of the pot but brown rice sits there all happy, floating about, totally unattended.

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ruzkin wrote: »
    Really? When I boil brown rice I don't need to babysit at all. White rice gets all fluffy and sticks to the bottom of the pot but brown rice sits there all happy, floating about, totally unattended.

From your description it sounds to me like you over-water your white rice, meaning your brown rice probably has enough water that you don't need to worry about it. :P

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    You'll also run into this when cooking wheat pasta. I switched over to it and it took me a bit to get used to the more water + longer cooking time requirements.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    wenchkillawenchkilla Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

From your description it sounds to me like you over-water your white rice, meaning your brown rice probably has enough water that you don't need to worry about it. :P

They need slightly different amounts of water, but a 2 to 1 water to brown rice volume ratio should be good enough.

How to cook rice and other grains properly*: Boil water, put in grain, simmer high enough to still have bubbles come up, cover, do not disturb. The grain will make it's own optimal heating/absorption structure. To see if it's done, take pan, tip sideways. if anywhere near cooked it won't fall out, don't worry. If you can tip it almost sideways and no water comes out from the bottom, it's done! (assuming right amount of water was used)

*Source (not me): Nutrition major, in a whole food production class.

Edit: If you want it stickier/softer, put the rice/grain in the cold water, then bring to a boil. I do this to make my oatmeal soft and creamy.

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
    PSN/XBL: dragoniemx
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

Could just be my rice cooker.

I like my rice a certain way so I get ancy right when it gets to that "almost done" point. I don't want it underdone and I don't want it overdone, even a little bit.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Let the rice sit in your rice cooker for about ten minutes after it's done if it's sticking to the bottom. That worked flawlessly for me. Just don't open it as soon as it dings. Let it finish cooking, set a timer for ten minutes, and then open it. None should be sticking by that point.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Thanks for the ideas fellas. It turned out ok. It was a little crunchy, but not crunchy like it wasn't cooked. Next time i'll experiment and try adding more water it cooks. I might try it over the stove top next time. maybe m rice cooker isnt made for cooking brown rice.

EDIT: BTW, i didnt need to have seconds. This stuff is really filling!

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    When I make brown rice in my cooker I usually use about twice the amount of water that I would for that amount of white rice. My cooker is small though - if you're making like 4-5 cups of brown rice then you might have to reload in the middle.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My rice cook has a brown rice fill line and special brown rice instructions in the manual. I thought all of them did?

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    More water. Brown rice should not be crunchy - ick.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    pinenut_canarypinenut_canary Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    More water, more time. My mother keeps the brown rice in water over night, and she says this helps a lot.

pinenut_canary on
  • Options
    hdentonhdenton Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I personally do 2 cups water per 1 cup of white rice and 3 1/2 - 4 cups water per cup of brown rice. I mostly just eyeball it though because I'm too lazy to measure everything and if it is too dry I can just add more water and microwave it or put it on the stove.

hdenton on
    I'm in your bags taking your waters!