As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[LOTRO] Barrovian Society Wanders but is not Lost

• Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    DrunkMc wrote: »
    Anyone think it's odd how expensive things are in this game? Maybe it's only because I'm 21, and the money situation ramps up, but 15s to take a horse from Trestlebridge to Bree seems like highway fucking robbery! The cost of mailing stuff is INSANE. Ur paying a couple of silver to send a couple of silver's worth of wood through the mail. And AH prices, u gotta jack everything up by 2 silver if uw ant to put things up on the AH for more then 8hrs.

So expensive. Good thing there are a lot of people out there who seem to power level up skills. I've been making decent money selling wood and ore of levels I've alreayd mastered. If I see it's 500b.o. for a stack of Rowan, I toss mine up for 250s. I didn't even realize I had 50, it sold before I left the AH! I was like WOOOOOOO!!!!!! :-)

But yeah, expensive game. Still, very fucking aweosme though.

yeah, the economy in this game is strange. the fees do get more bearable as you level up. a lot of things seem way too expensive to buy, but then, on the other hand, like you said, you can sell even low-level crafting materials for a lot of money, so I guess it evens out...

my kingdom for affordable Exceptional leather!

Yeha, working the AH seems to be a must in this game. I afforded a mount in WoW without ever touching the AH, just buyd oing quests and not buying off the AH. This game it seems you NEED to AH just to be able to take a horse once in a blue fucking moon. Or god forbid have to send something to an alt!

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    DedianDedian Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Anyone think it's odd how expensive things are in this game? Maybe it's only because I'm 21, and the money situation ramps up, but 15s to take a horse from Trestlebridge to Bree seems like highway fucking robbery! The cost of mailing stuff is INSANE. Ur paying a couple of silver to send a couple of silver's worth of wood through the mail. And AH prices, u gotta jack everything up by 2 silver if uw ant to put things up on the AH for more then 8hrs.

So expensive. Good thing there are a lot of people out there who seem to power level up skills. I've been making decent money selling wood and ore of levels I've alreayd mastered. If I see it's 500b.o. for a stack of Rowan, I toss mine up for 250s. I didn't even realize I had 50, it sold before I left the AH! I was like WOOOOOOO!!!!!! :-)

But yeah, expensive game. Still, very fucking aweosme though.

When you're out and about, are you looting all from the stuff you kill? Stacks of vendor trash stuff adds up quick. Don't hold on to stuff you don't need, either. Put it on the AH if it's worth it (if there's 8 of the item already there and they're barely above vendor price... vendor it!). Humanoid mobs usually drop some coin, plus seem to have more "usable" drops (i.e. most likely to AH well). Crit crafting components (the ones with the green background) in smallish stacks go well too. Check prices before putting a 800s buyout on that Scarred Tail you just got.

Don't process wood or ore. Just put it on the AH raw (but not if there's 30 other stacks of 50... just drives down the price). People buy the stacks at those high prices... I don't know why! It does tend to inflate the prices of other crafted stuff, but as an explorer, it's a good position to be in. When you process wood or ore, most likely the stack will not sell for 2x the price - you're losing money (and time) at that point. Of course, you'll want to process wood or ore in order to get higher tiers, but it should work out in the end.

Recipes seem to sell well. I typically put bid price at vendor cost + AH fee + maybe a few silver. Sometimes I double the cost for buyout. Don't put a recipe for Simple Honey and Oats at 400s buyout. That's dumb and people won't buy it :) Rare or single use recpies can go for more, but don't go crazy either...

Run instead of using horses, or swift travel to starter areas. I believe at 20 you'll have the ability to learn Return to x (where x is your racial home). Do the deed and get the trait. That's 2s for a free ride home (it requires travel rations).

I'm sure there's other things that I'm forgetting, but I never seem to have issues with money (just bought a house and my horse in the last couple days).

Dedian on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    That's all awesome advice. I don't know that Return to X thing yet, I'll have to look into it. Which DEED that is. That's pretty much how I'm rolling. I think I am at like 900s on my level 20. I'm not hurting for cash, but still stings. I run MOST of the time, but only so many times I can run from Bree to Trestle bridge. ANd when I sell a stack of lowbie goods, I treat myself. :-)

Otherwise, I just huff it! I typically do Auto-Run on a road, Alt-Tab, websurf a bit, Alt-Tab, modify trajectory, Alt-Tab......and repeat!

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Also: make sure you pick the most expensive quest reward if there isn't anything you need among them. It all adds up!

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Oh also, since you've almost got a gold. If you do a lot of crafting that requires vendor goods (like wax to treat wood or whatever), you can get a discount from the housing supplier if you own a house (plus another 30 slots that is shareable between alts, no more mailing cost!). With a house you also get a return to personal home ability (requires travel rations) for all your characters, and if you get a house in I think Thorin's Hall housing area, it's real close to stable and crafting. Just something to think about... a gold at 20 is a lot of monay :D I think the 30-slot chest is 100s. The deluxe house has two chests, but is a whole lot more to buy :)

Dedian on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dedian wrote: »
    Oh also, since you've almost got a gold. If you do a lot of crafting that requires vendor goods (like wax to treat wood or whatever), you can get a discount from the housing supplier if you own a house (plus another 30 slots that is shareable between alts, no more mailing cost!). With a house you also get a return to personal home ability (requires travel rations) for all your characters, and if you get a house in I think Thorin's Hall housing area, it's real close to stable and crafting. Just something to think about... a gold at 20 is a lot of monay :D I think the 30-slot chest is 100s. The deluxe house has two chests, but is a whole lot more to buy :)

It's a lot of money even at level 35. And yet, now that I'm level 44 I have no problem making money. That first horse is just so expensive! But now I could buy one for an alt, no problem.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Anti-SeanAnti-Sean Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That's all awesome advice. I don't know that Return to X thing yet, I'll have to look into it. Which DEED that is.

'Return to X' isn't available until level 29 - it comes from one of the racial 'Enmity of Y' deeds.

Anti-Sean on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've never had an issue on my chars affording that horse. The issue is you have to loot everything, and as you level take time to grind some of those kill traits out looting everything as you go. All that junk adds up.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Simon MoonSimon Moon Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    my kingdom for affordable Exceptional leather!

Since hides require effort on one's part to procure (as opposed to ore/wood, where you can just outlevel an area, and the ride around on your horse picking up resources all day, pick up a full stack or two in less than an hour, throw it on the AH, and make a quick profit), they will always see higher prices than other similarly tiered resources. That said, there are a couple spots to grind it out:

Light Hides: Wolf den in Shire, near Dora Whats-her-face's farm. Bonus: Shire wolf deed.

Medium Hides: I forget the location's name (something's Fang?), but in Annundir in the North Downs, there are a bunch of bears, wolves, and wargs in the same area. Not as convenient as other locations, and the average mob level is on a cusp, so some of them will drop Sturdy Hides instead, but it's the best I've found so far. If someone knows a better place to farm Medium Hides, by all means, share. I'd mention the warg deed, but the wargs are what tended to be of a level to drop Sturdy Hides, so I mostly kill bears and wolves.

Sturdy Hides: Aurochs in North Downs, near Esteldin, can't miss 'em. I have no idea how far into the 20s you have to be to consistently solo these without too much downtime in between, probably varies by class.

Pristine Hides: Aurochs and bears in Misty Mountains, just a little jog north of Gloin's camp. 1 hour's worth of work last night yielded somewhere around 80 Pristine Hides and nearly 200s worth of vendor trash. Bonus: MM bear deed.

Exceptional Hides: Don't know yet, but I have yet to wander out to Forochel, which is where I'd guess one would go. Trekking out in the middle of nowhere in MM just isn't worth it.

Simon Moon on
    Steam: simon moon
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Simon Moon wrote: »
    Medium Hides: I forget the location's name (something's Fang?), but in Annundir in the North Downs, there are a bunch of bears, wolves, and wargs in the same area. Not as convenient as other locations, and the average mob level is on a cusp, so some of them will drop Sturdy Hides instead, but it's the best I've found so far. If someone knows a better place to farm Medium Hides, by all means, share. I'd mention the warg deed, but the wargs are what tended to be of a level to drop Sturdy Hides, so I mostly kill bears and wolves.

Amlaith's Scar is the place you're thinking about - I like that spot, too, but my favorite area for Medium Hides is The Brandywood on the western edge of Bree-Land. Bears and boars from level 14-16, plenty of Tier 2 ore and wood nodes (and a Tier 2 scholar node at Ost Barandor), and very few people running around. Be wary of Svalfang, the Elite 30th level giant from the Big Problems/Giant Problems quests, and you'll be all set. The Brandywood, Starmere and Eastern Bree-fields/Far Chetwood/Nen Harn are where I get most of my silver as well.

Anti-Sean on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Best place for medium hide I've found are the wolves in lonelands north of the forsaken inn. The midgewater pass is the name if I recall right.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I have an inexplicable dislike of Midgewater Pass, but I'll give it a shot, see if it seems any better. And I'd forgotten all about the Brandywood.

I'll echo the nod to Eastern Bree-Fields/etc. I rarely run into anyone else out there, it doesn't take that long to run out to the lake and back, and if you get a little lucky, one such run will give you a full stack of barrow-iron ore. Which, for some reason, seems to sell on the AH for less than any other ore except tin.

Simon Moon on
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Since renewing my scrip a couple weeks ago, I haven't been able to bring myself to get into crafting on any of my new characters. I just feel like it'll do nothing for me except slow my quest progress. I kind of *want* to get back into it, but I can't seem to get myself to learn a craft. I dunno. I'm just having a lot of fun questing right now, I guess.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Re: Exceptional Hides

So, having just been in Forochel, it's about like this:

Step 1: Go to Forochel.
    Step 2: Kill Moose.
    Step 3: Repeat Step 2.

Simon Moon on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Triple B wrote: »
    Since renewing my scrip a couple weeks ago, I haven't been able to bring myself to get into crafting on any of my new characters. I just feel like it'll do nothing for me except slow my quest progress. I kind of *want* to get back into it, but I can't seem to get myself to learn a craft. I dunno. I'm just having a lot of fun questing right now, I guess.

I don't know why, but I enjoy crafting in this game. I think it's because so far (up to level 21), I typically can make myself weapons or armor (on my tailor) that help that current toon, but REALLY help toons following me. I decked out my roomate's gf in all yellows and 2 proc'd master weapons for level 7. She's an absolute animal!

I don't know, I just find it relaxing. I think I also like that recipes drop all the time, it makes any mob seem like it could drop something awesome at anytime.

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I decked out my roomate's gf [...] She's an absolute animal!
    O my!

Aldo on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    On Elendilmir hides sell really well.

I can sell 25 Pristine Hides for about 250s, and 25 Exceptional Hides for about 300s.

So whenever I need money that's what I do.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Another spot for medium hides is NW of Thornley's work site (or whatever it's called, North of Bree). There's a den of wolves there that is just on the cusp (make sure you kill level 13 and above), but it's pretty quick since the wolves are so low level. Sometimes some people there for a quest or something probably, but another option...

Dedian on
  • Options
    Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hey Preach, you wouldn't happen to have an alt in the lv50 range? I have a burg at 49, and once I get my main to 60, I'll prolly switch over to him.

We could at least do the eregion quests together, that'll give me a level or two.

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Hey sweet, only 20 pages before we can make a new thread with a title that actually resembles the way we feel about this game.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Triple B wrote: »

I don't know why, but I enjoy crafting in this game. I think it's because so far (up to level 21), I typically can make myself weapons or armor (on my tailor) that help that current toon, but REALLY help toons following me. I decked out my roomate's gf in all yellows and 2 proc'd master weapons for level 7. She's an absolute animal!

I don't know, I just find it relaxing. I think I also like that recipes drop all the time, it makes any mob seem like it could drop something awesome at anytime.

I was the exact same way when I first played LOTRO back at launch. Then I took about a year's worth of time off, and now I find myself completely put off simply by the idea of crafting in general. I will gladly claim that of all the games I've ever played that employed crafting, LOTRO's is probably the best. I just can't seem to get back into it.

Aldo wrote: »
    Hey sweet, only 20 pages before we can make a new thread with a title that actually resembles the way we feel about this game.

Heh, yeah. It should be called "[LOTRO] Barrovian Who?"

Triple B on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    [LOTRO] Mines of Moria is better than sliced bread
    [LOTRO] So we're actually enjoying the game and would like to talk about it
    [LOTRO] The Thinking Man's WoW
    [LOTRO] The Peaceloving Man's WAR
    [LOTRO] The best representation of Middle Earth you'll ever deliver pies in.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Hey Preach, you wouldn't happen to have an alt in the lv50 range? I have a burg at 49, and once I get my main to 60, I'll prolly switch over to him.

We could at least do the eregion quests together, that'll give me a level or two.

Not really, my closest to 50 alt is my guard sitting at 43.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    blindside044blindside044 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    [LOTRO] Mines of Moria is better than sliced bread
    [LOTRO] So we're actually enjoying the game and would like to talk about it
    [LOTRO] The Thinking Man's WoW
    [LOTRO] The Peaceloving Man's WAR
    [LOTRO] The best representation of Middle Earth you'll ever deliver pies in.

ha! those are pretty good :) I think I like the last one the best, but all of them are still good :D

blindside044 on
  • Options
    Stevo 22Stevo 22 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    LOTRO swept up the MMORPG.com Reader's Choice awards, taking Best Publisher, Best Expansion, and Best MMO. That's pretty neat. Now if only there were as many people playing as there seems to be voting...

Stevo 22 on
    "It's do or die." "Hey, I've died twice."
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Stevo 22 wrote: »
    LOTRO swept up the MMORPG.com Reader's Choice awards, taking Best Publisher, Best Expansion, and Best MMO. That's pretty neat. Now if only there were as many people playing as there seems to be voting...

I agree. It stands to reason that the best example of a certain medium will never be as popular as it's quality would dictate. Moreover, 9 times out of 10 an example of lower quality will be the most popular. This principle rings true for music, movies, video games, etc., and illustrates why NSync had the fastest selling album of all time, and Pearl Jam can barely break platinum with a masterpiece. I'm glad LOTRO won these awards but I'd certainly like to see a larger, more loyal player base, instead of seeing people talking about how LOTRO would "hold them over until WAR came out", or "going back to WoW" or somesuch. LOTRO is an MMORPG of the absolute highest quality, and it deserves a larger player base.

EDIT: Well shit, the servers are inexplicably down. Awesome.

Triple B on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It's pretty explicable. Server performance has been marginal for the past 3 days.

Now, I say that, and watch the current downtime be for something completely unrelated...

Simon Moon on
  • Options
    Stevo 22Stevo 22 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    No server issues for me, just can't find a good group to play with.

I don't understand, everything seemed so fluid up until level 49 and now I'm hitting my pre-Moria slump I suppose. Bah. I'll get into it again soon because - yes, it is the highest quality MMO I've ever come across.

Stevo 22 on
    "It's do or die." "Hey, I've died twice."
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Stevo 22 wrote: »
    No server issues for me, just can't find a good group to play with.

I don't understand, everything seemed so fluid up until level 49 and now I'm hitting my pre-Moria slump I suppose. Bah. I'll get into it again soon because - yes, it is the highest quality MMO I've ever come across.

:^:

Triple B on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I started up a creep healer just to have something to do that wasn't related to walking all the way from central North Downs to eastern Lone Lands. I was just out of the base camp killing some slugs when someone asked in ooc if there were any freeps causing trouble. 'No' was the answer. 'Time to do some quests' was my off-hand remark. Then I got invited to a group and we first took over two guard towers along the river. Then 3 of us remained and one older player asked if we had to do the scouting quest. The other guy and me both just started so we hadn't done them. The guy went out of his way to lead us around the map and now we both have the teleport back to base camp and a few thousand DP.

Awesome guy.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So question:

I have two toons I play heavily. A level 21 Human Warden and a level 20 Hobbit Hunter. As u can see, I split the time pretty evenely.

I am thinking of buying a Bree house, so I don't have to deal with sending stuff between the toons. (One's an Explorer the other is a weaponsmith, so it's pretty often).

So, do u think I should buy the house instead of probably getting horses as soon as I can or wait for the horses?

And also, how often do I have to pay this upkeep? Seems pricey!

edit:
    There is a weekly upkeep fee which must be paid in order to maintain ownership of the house. Upkeep can be paid several weeks in advance.

WOW! That's pricey!

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Well when you get the house the first month or so is paid for upkeep, and for a small house the upkeep is 50 silver a week.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    That's a relief. I think I"m gonna bite hte bullet and buy in Bree! I tend to Hearth back there for all the crafting stuff, so now I can hearth closer to my questing and just "Home" back to my........home.

:)

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    yeah, the small houses are pretty affordable. selling one stack of crafting mats can make you enough money for like 3 months rent.

Are the bree houses conveniently located? I bought a elf house because I'm an elf and I liked the looks of them, but they're really in an annoying-ish place. gotta ride your horse for a couple of minutes to get to duilland, then take the stable horse to celondim, and then ride from there to bree or thorin's...

are the bree houses right outside of bree? if so, that sounds like a huge selling point :>

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    yeah, the small houses are pretty affordable. selling one stack of crafting mats can make you enough money for like 3 months rent.

Are the bree houses conveniently located? I bought a elf house because I'm an elf and I liked the looks of them, but they're really in an annoying-ish place. gotta ride your horse for a couple of minutes to get to duilland, then take the stable horse to celondim, and then ride from there to bree or thorin's...

are the bree houses right outside of bree? if so, that sounds like a huge selling point :>

Not really, bree houses are quite a bit down the road from bree, half way to lone lands.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    At least Bree is a hub, Duillond is deep in the periphery. I'd pick Bree Homesteads, if only because the auction house is on the right side of Bree-town to hike to there without losing half a day.

--

Kinmembers were complaining that creeps are weak after MoM, said that Defilers and spiders are useless and that they had hoped Turbine would have paid some attention to PvP. How do you vets feel about it?

Aldo on
  • Options
    blindside044blindside044 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    A lot of people have been complaining. But the devs have posted on the official forums that they will be adjusting a lot of things on the PvMP side for Book 7, so expect big changes... hopefully for the better :)

blindside044 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    At least Bree is a hub, Duillond is deep in the periphery. I'd pick Bree Homesteads, if only because the auction house is on the right side of Bree-town to hike to there without losing half a day.

--

Kinmembers were complaining that creeps are weak after MoM, said that Defilers and spiders are useless and that they had hoped Turbine would have paid some attention to PvP. How do you vets feel about it?

I chose thorins gate, because once you get to the horse bree is not that far away and Thorins is a ghost town so getting a house was easy.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The research I did AFTER buying a house in Bree said that for proximity to crafting and stables, Thorin's Gate is the way to go. Breeland Homesteads is a 3-4 minute run to the SE corner of Bree. Shire is close-ish to some crafting and a stable, and Elf houses are pretty much in the middle of nowhere :D

Dedian on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I bought a house in the Shire homesteads because come on, it's a freaking hobbit hole! How awesome is that?

Anti-Sean on