As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SFII HDRemix: Your Shit is Going Get Kicked in the Fuck!

• Options
    House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    SlayerVin wrote: »
    "shane long is not in that cassle either... 25pts finaly"

My first... hate mail? o_O

I guess this moment is supposed to be like, a badge of honor, but... I'm just confused...

Someone sent that to you? I don't get it...it just sounds like he's referring to the achievement, but...umm...?

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have... no idea.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I guess this moment is supposed to be like, a badge of honor, but... I'm just confused...

Were either of you playing as Akuma at the time?

Taramoor on
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Damn, my game crapped out while I was trying to get acid in the game.

Well I needed the break anyways, I'm dead tired.

Thanks for the games.

Meiz on
  • Options
    SlayerVinSlayerVin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Taramoor wrote: »

Were either of you playing as Akuma at the time?

Akuma is filthy, so I never play as him, but this kid might have been. I think I played him a while ago, really can't remember...

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • Options
    MaterlyMaterly Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Need to play some of you fools so I can work on tick throws with Gief and start generating some hate mail.

Materly on
    When life gives you lemons, you squeeze the lemon juice into your enemies eyes and steal his apples - Runoir

materly.png
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I can play you, but I'm not very experienced with the game. If you don't mind a scrub just send an invite my way!

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    man, fuck akuma

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

From the original achievement post:

Sheng Long is in Another Castle
    Beat Akuma in Arcade Mode. 25

Yeah, achievements are going to be the downfall of gaming...trust me.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Anyone up for some games in 10-15 min?

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    MNC Dover wrote: »

From the original achievement post:

Sheng Long is in Another Castle
    Beat Akuma in Arcade Mode. 25

Yeah, achievements are going to be the downfall of gaming...trust me.

I think achievements are a good thing, when they're well implemented. They encourage people to explore aspects of a game they might not otherwise, inspire multiple playthroughs and, when done well, improve the overall gaming experience by giving you an extra little "Hell yeah" after doing something great. But when achievements represent tedium or mediocrity, or simply money-grubbingness then they reflect badly on the games in which they exist and the people who enjoy them. Kameo has an achievement for DOWNLOADING AN EXTRA COSTUME FROM MARKETPLACE... seriously... what the hell?

Examples of good achievement implementation:
    -Mirror's Edge
    -Mass Effect
    -Metroid Prime 3
    -Penny Arcade Ep. 2
    -Crackdown

But poor achievements are detrimental to the entire concept:
    -Gears of War 1
    -Kameo
    -Final Fantasy XI
    -Enchanted Arms

I think you're conflating Achievements themselves with the entire e-peen mindset that has sprung up around them.

Remember, Achievements are not the root of all evil, the Love of Achievements is.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    JonnyBotJonnyBot Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Aumni wrote: »

sure

JonnyBot on
  • Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    btw... this PASFHDR thing... is that an xbox user to add?

dav3yb on
    PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    yes

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    JonnyBot wrote: »
    Aumni wrote: »

sure

Sorry Jonny - I got a game of a few people going and didn't realize hosting migrates.

:(

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Anyone on now? Had to go be a damn family man but I'm back

Materly on
    When life gives you lemons, you squeeze the lemon juice into your enemies eyes and steal his apples - Runoir

materly.png
  • Options
    JonnyBotJonnyBot Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Thanks for the matches Slayer. my mic decided to stop working so I couldn't communicate that I had to jet.

JonnyBot on
  • Options
    pogo1250pogo1250 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    needs more info on sonic booming and family maning in title

edit: also if you add PASFHDR and i dont add it in two days, PM and tell me im not doing my job

edit2: yay!

pogo1250 on
    310457-1.png
  • Options
    ShizumaruShizumaru Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    hai guys.. is this the new thrad?

Shizumaru on
  • Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    pogo1250 wrote: »
    needs more info on sonic booming and family maning in title

edit: also if you add PASFHDR and i dont add it in two days, PM and tell me im not doing my job

edit2: yay!

ill go ahead and give you heads up, ive sent one (xbl invite)

dav3yb on
    PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    pogo1250pogo1250 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    done

pogo1250 on
    310457-1.png
  • Options
    Raziel_pmRaziel_pm Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hey guys, I'm jumping on right now. I'm friended to PASFHDR, so hit me up and let's do this ^_^

Raziel_pm on
    Your sig was too large. Maximum sig size is 500x80. - Jacobkosh.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Thanks for the matches Slayer. my mic decided to stop working so I couldn't communicate that I had to jet.

Yeah, you too, good games. I plugged the mic in when I saw you were saying stuff, but all I could hear was static. No worries.

Also, I'll have to test this more, but for those of you who, like me, fucking hate Akuma, I think I've figured out a way around his air fireball crossup. When he comes in with the fireball, block it normally. When he lands on your other side with the crossup, continue holding block in the same direction you blocked the fireball. You will continue blocking, even though he's on the other side and you're now holding the joystick towards him. I didn't try this with Akuma doing any crouching moves, so that needs to be tested too. Hopefully this will give people an edge when fighting him.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • Options
    hojuhoju Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Yeah, you too, good games. I plugged the mic in when I saw you were saying stuff, but all I could hear was static. No worries.

Also, I'll have to test this more, but for those of you who, like me, fucking hate Akuma, ...

I guess me and a couple others are like the only people playing SFII on the East Coast right now cause I just played 2 different Akuma players 6 games in a row. I won 4 of them but the character started to royally piss me off.

One thing I found (as Ryu) to get under their Air Fireball is toward . Fierce where Ryu kinda glides forward with his fist out. This would just give me enough time to recover on the other side of them while they jump over me to sometimes get some c . rh out.

It's not great cause you have to do it on reaction so I was wondering if anyone had a better way to counter the air fireball situation. No shoryukens makes me sad, even Akuma's jumping rh will hit your head hitbox when your in a shoryuken.

hoju on
    426647-1.png
  • Options
    SkyeSkye Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Also, I'll have to test this more, but for those of you who, like me, fucking hate Akuma, I think I've figured out a way around his air fireball crossup. When he comes in with the fireball, block it normally. When he lands on your other side with the crossup, continue holding block in the same direction you blocked the fireball. You will continue blocking, even though he's on the other side and you're now holding the joystick towards him. I didn't try this with Akuma doing any crouching moves, so that needs to be tested too. Hopefully this will give people an edge when fighting him.

If the air fireball->whatever keeps you in blockstun, then it doesn't matter if you are still holding a direction to block I think. You will automatically continue blocking (this is from my experience from blocking crossups from other characters). Now, if Akuma adds a gap between the air fireball and whatever move he's doing, then you need to block correctly. If Akuma does a low after the fireball, I think you have to block that correctly no matter what. Again, this is all from my knowledge of the game engine so I could be entirely wrong on this point because Akuma is a pretty unique case.

Skye on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    hoju wrote: »

Also, I'll have to test this more, but for those of you who, like me, fucking hate Akuma, ...

I guess me and a couple others are like the only people playing SFII on the East Coast right now cause I just played 2 different Akuma players 6 games in a row. I won 4 of them but the character started to royally piss me off.

One thing I found (as Ryu) to get under their Air Fireball is toward . Fierce where Ryu kinda glides forward with his fist out. This would just give me enough time to recover on the other side of them while they jump over me to sometimes get some c . rh out.

It's not great cause you have to do it on reaction so I was wondering if anyone had a better way to counter the air fireball situation. No shoryukens makes me sad, even Akuma's jumping rh will hit your head hitbox when your in a shoryuken.

By any chance were they gabalpha and something like "pah roach"? I had a fun little altercation with pah roach. I was Bison and after I beat him first round, I saw that his little speaker icon was blinking furiously. I figured since he was an Akuma player he was talking some smack. So I plugged in my headset to see what he was saying. At the end of the second round, after beating him with a couple standing forward and roundhouse kicks, I heard him say "fuckin bitch, you used the same kick that whole fight, bitch" (well yeah, it's Bison...). So I respond with "And I beat you with them". Kid shut up the rest of the fight. He did manage to squeak out a "...bitch" when he double KO'd me in round 3, but other than that, didn't hear anything from him. After the fight was over, he went back to Call of Duty and I sent him a message saying "smooches and kicks ;)". I know that's unsporting, but hey, he started it.

On the other hand, gabalpha was pretty good and didn't say a word.

I find the best thing to do is just block the air fireball. It does almost no damage at all, so it does even less chip damage, and you're still in control. Pull out a reversal on block if you can, to try to get out of the situation. Aside from this, I'd say it's probably pretty character-specific, but I don't think there's anything that beats it since it's such high priority. One thing you can do is just expect it everytime he's in the air and use a high priority jumping normal to hit him. Most people who are playing with him on ranked matches are pretty terrible with him, so I wouldn't worry about expecting the air hurricane kick too much.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Looks like my stick will get delivered today!

Maybe I can be getting my ass kicked by tonight...

My Live ID is 'TyrantCow II' that's 2 i's... I just got my xbox up and running I don't know the easiest way to add people...

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    TyrantCow wrote: »
    Looks like my stick will get delivered today!

Maybe I can be getting my ass kicked by tonight...

My Live ID is 'TyrantCow II' that's 2 i's... I just got my xbox up and running I don't know the easiest way to add people...

Cool, what kind of stick did you get?

Adding friends on XBL is actually pretty painless. There are a few ways to do it:

1 - Go to your friends list and click the "+add friend" button. Type in the persons name and it will send them a friend request. This is the best way to add people you meet IRL or in a forum. I'd personally start by adding PASFHDR (aka pogo1250 from this forum). Most everyone on this board has friended him already, so it will be easier for you to meet other PA members.

2 - Highlight any friend on your list (say PASFHDR for instance) and press to the right to look at their bio and information. One of the items you can choose is "View Friends". This will let you browse the friends they have listed. Select someone from his list and then select the "Send Friend Request". Easy.

3 - Press the large Xbox logo button on your controller. This will bring up a smaller profile page. Scroll down and select Friends. This will open a list of all your friends. If you press to the right you will open your messages. Press right again and you will open up your players tab. Using the players tab, you can see the last 30 or so people you played against on XBL. Highlight their name and select, "Send Friend Request." This is great for adding people you played randomly against and had a good set of games with or found them to be of an equal skill level.

Hope that helps. Oh yeah, enter our tournament. We've still got 2 spots remaining and it should be a blast. We have a variety of players at different skill levels, so you should be able to find someone at your level. If not, you can still get to play a lot of fun games with a bunch of great "Family Men".

Later!

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    GG's last night to JonnyBot and Aumni.

Sorry about that Honda player that joined our game Jonnybot. How boring was he to play. Literally sat back in a downback position waiting for his opponent to jump. The sad part is that he wasn't a bad player, just boring as hell. I ended up beating him by playing Chun Li, throwing fireballs at him for 99 seconds, and winning with a time over. I felt sick to my stomach. After that I thought he might get the message, but alas no, the next round started the exact same way. I literally put my controller down and waited for him to finally attack me, which took about 20 seconds. He messaged me afterwards saying he had no mic and couldn't hear what I was saying. I politely told him that his playstyle was bland and, while he was good, he was no fun to play against.

In other news, I tried recording some footage of a game last night. I was thinking about recording maybe the last 4 games of the tourney and posting up on my youtube for everyone to enjoy. Here is a sample I did that can be viewed regularly or in high def (to view in HD, click on the video to visit the youtube page directly):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8x0Hm2ivgA

Yes, it's sadly recorded from a camcorder and not a capture card. I've never invested the money into one, but I'll be looking to so in the future. For the short term though, it should suit our needs. The clarity seems to be there and it should be fairly easy to follow. If a majority of the players agree, I'll go ahead and film. If no one cares than I won't waste my time.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    That would be awesome if you recorded the last few matches.

Aumni on
  • Options
    hojuhoju Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Nice man!

hoju on
    426647-1.png
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That tick punch into super that Akuma did was sick and wrong.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Question about avoiding Akuma's super: Can you just crouch to avoid it? There have been quite a few times that I am crouching down and the super doesn't hit until I try to throw or attack.

Man I hate that super...

Materly on

materly.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Materly wrote: »
    Question about avoiding Akuma's super: Can you just crouch to avoid it? There have been quite a few times that I am crouching down and the super doesn't hit until I try to throw or attack.

Man I hate that super...

No, you need to jump.

Meiz on
  • Options
    ShizumaruShizumaru Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That tick punch into super that Akuma did was sick and wrong.

Its pretty much a dick move imo.. I can't really take most akuma players serious anyway though so..

Shizumaru on
  • Options
    Zombie NirvanaZombie Nirvana Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    RD is broken right now, we'll see if backbone does anything to Akuma since he isn't working as intended. I have a feeling that with Sirlin gone we won't see a fix. :(

I guess the real test would be if the good shotokans use Akuma do demonstrate the problems, but I have a feeling this won't get picked up in tournaments now that SF4 is hitting so no one will care.

Zombie Nirvana on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    What do you mean "With Sirlin gone"?

Meiz on
  • Options
    House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Meiz wrote: »
    What do you mean "With Sirlin gone"?

Sirlin left Backbone shortly after SFIIHDR was finished.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Shizumaru wrote: »

Its pretty much a dick move imo.. I can't really take most akuma players serious anyway though so..

My friends and I came up with a name for Ken/Ryu/Akuma players. We call them "Team Tuesday". The name was derived from when we'd play Capcom vs SNK 2 in the arcades and these scrubby guys would come up and only choose Ken/Ryu/Akuma.

One day I just got sick of it and declared aloud in the arcade, "Wow, Ken, Ryu, Akuma. Never play against that team unless, (Looks at watch) oh nevermind, it's Tuesday. I forgot that everyone has to play shoto's on Tuesdays."

Since that day, they were forever called Team Tuesday (TT for short). Sometimes if they were feeling a little adventurous, they would substitute Ryu or Ken (never Akuma though!) for someone like Sagat, Haomaru, Ryo, or Iori. o_O I have a hard time taking anyone playing TT seriously.

It is quite entertaining to say things like, "Hmmm...TT on Thursday?" or "Whoa that was close! You almost selected someone interesting."

I get that they're easy to play, but good lord why not try some different characters every once in a while?

There are good players who main Ken/Ryu that aren't scubby/boring. There is an easy way to tell the difference between a scrubby TT player and a real shoto player, ready? If they start the match by jumping backwards and throwing a fireball than you have a 90% chance of playing against TT player. Check it out next time you play online and see if I'm wrong. Sign number 2: A true TT player never cancels a footsweep into a fireball. NEVER! A newer player will learn this eventually or see someone else do it and add it to their move list. TT's never evolve. It's always fireball -> dragonpunch then complain if it doesn't work.

Do your part and pwn some TT's today!

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Shizumaru wrote: »

My friends and I came up with a name for Ken/Ryu/Akuma players. We call them "Team Tuesday". The name was derived from when we'd play Capcom vs SNK 2 in the arcades and these scrubby guys would come up and only choose Ken/Ryu/Akuma.

One day I just got sick of it and declared aloud in the arcade, "Wow, Ken, Ryu, Akuma. Never play against that team unless, (Looks at watch) oh nevermind, it's Tuesday. I forgot that everyone has to play shoto's on Tuesdays."

Since that day, they were forever called Team Tuesday (TT for short). Sometimes if they were feeling a little adventurous, they would substitute Ryu or Ken (never Akuma though!) for someone like Sagat, Haomaru, Ryo, or Iori. o_O I have a hard time taking anyone playing TT seriously.

It is quite entertaining to say things like, "Hmmm...TT on Thursday?" or "Whoa that was close! You almost selected someone interesting."

I get that they're easy to play, but good lord why not try some different characters every once in a while?

There are good players who main Ken/Ryu that aren't scubby/boring. There is an easy way to tell the difference between a scrubby TT player and a real shoto player, ready? If they start the match by jumping backwards and throwing a fireball than you have a 90% chance of playing against TT player. Check it out next time you play online and see if I'm wrong. Sign number 2: A true TT player never cancels a footsweep into a fireball. NEVER! A newer player will learn this eventually or see someone else do it and add it to their move list. TT's never evolve. It's always fireball -> dragonpunch then complain if it doesn't work.

Do your part and pwn some TT's today!

I am a proud member of team Tuesday.

hOw i fir3B4llin'?

Aumni on