As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Barrage of sundry questions

djsephirothdjsephiroth Registered User new member
edited January 2009 in PAX Archive
Hi. I'll get right to item A: anyone have contact info handy for the Capt. of PAX Volunteer Stuff or his/her equivalent? I'd like to attend as a part of the show, but I'm not sure with whom I should get in touch.

Item B: I see that there is a very impressive list of live musicians coming to PAX. I'm used to having both a "rave" (read: electronic music + DJ + glowing things) or dance as well as a live band (or several) at any given con. Is there any dance-type event at PAX? Checked the main site and couldn't find much. If there's not anything going on in that category (and it would be understandable since there are so many sweet live acts at PAX), do you think that's something you'd like to see in the future?

Thanks!

djsephiroth on

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2009
    Second item first, all PAX musical events take place in the same theater room and consists of standing room where most people do just that. There are hasn't been a DJ or rave atmosphere in the past.

As for being an enforcer, this thread covers the topic, but the basics are that if they're looking for people, PRD will post in the forum with instructions on how to apply.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Also the list of bands on the PAX site are those that came last year. Nothing about 2009 has been announced yet other than the date.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    *fingers crossed for mc chris*

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    He came, stayed away, made plans to come back, and then cancelled them to go on tour. mc chris is right up there with Guns 'n' Roses on the "don't get your hopes up" list.

(as entertaining as it may be)

b0wser on
  • mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Didn't MC Chris apologize in advance? I remember there being some sort of misunderstanding, that he wanted to come but was unable to back out of a competing obligation.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That's why he's still not as high on the list as Axl, and he's still a really good dude. He tours almost constantly, and is spreading the word for the fight against cystic fibrosis.

b0wser on
  • redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    mspencer wrote: »
    Didn't MC Chris apologize in advance? I remember there being some sort of misunderstanding, that he wanted to come but was unable to back out of a competing obligation.

Yeah, his competing obligation was some random tiny club. Not sure how that could be more benefitial to his career than performing in front of of thousands at PAX. But he mostly redemed himself with those awesome "mc chris hearts PAX, sorry I let you guys down" t-shirts he had made.

redhalo on
  • mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The issue may not have been the size of the club -- it may have been how easy to work with, or how evil and litigious, that other club may or may not have been. I can totally understand unhappy circumstances forcing Mc Chris to do something he didn't want to do. X__X

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This is now the "Let's beg mc chris to not book anything near or around PAX time and actually show up this year" thread.

Who's got his e-mail address?

The_Reflection on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    mspencer wrote: »
    The issue may not have been the size of the club -- it may have been how easy to work with, or how evil and litigious, that other club may or may not have been. I can totally understand unhappy circumstances forcing Mc Chris to do something he didn't want to do. X__X

it wasn't some club, it was the warped tour.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'd LOVE for there to be a dance/rave thing at PAX, but I don't know where they would put it without cutting out one of the nights of concerts. Not that doing so is necessarily a bad thing, I completely skipped Saturday night this year due to lack of interest >.> But I know most bands that perform have rather large followings at pax and there would be lots of sad fans if they were canceled.

Of course they wouldn't be sad long, since its hard to be sad when you are glowy, hyper and rocking out with a bunch of friends!

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • MeeOkMeeOk Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'd LOVE for there to be a dance/rave thing at PAX, but I don't know where they would put it without cutting out one of the nights of concerts. Not that doing so is necessarily a bad thing, I completely skipped Saturday night this year due to lack of interest >.> But I know most bands that perform have rather large followings at pax and there would be lots of sad fans if they were canceled.

Of course they wouldn't be sad long, since its hard to be sad when you are glowy, hyper and rocking out with a bunch of friends!

Ooh, I agree! Not sure how many people actually would go to a dance/rave though.. I know I'd be there!

MeeOk on
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    A dance/rave is a bunch of girls dancing with all of the nerdy guys standing in the corner like scared woodland creatures right?

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'd LOVE for there to be a dance/rave thing at PAX!

Uggggggh. I think it's probably just a vocal minority who would be interested in such at PAX.

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    proXimity wrote: »
    I'd LOVE for there to be a dance/rave thing at PAX!

Uggggggh. I think it's probably just a vocal minority who would be interested in such at PAX.

I agree. Worst idea ever.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    No man...don't you see the masses of people dancing at the concerts?

Our kind (in general) is not the dancing in public type of folks. I'm sure there are those amongst us who would enjoy it, but it would likely be the emptiest venue EVER.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
    edited January 2009
    Since when do nerds not dance? Our local sci-fi/fantasy con is all complete nerds... and the rave there is both nights, kick ass and absolutely full of people from start to finish! Sakuracons raves seem pretty well appreciated too.

BrokenAngel on
    edited January 2009
    Not all nerds are created equal? I dunno.

jonxp on
    edited January 2009
    jonxp wrote: »
    Not all nerds are created equal? I dunno.

as far as nerds go, we're pretty much all 3.5-4.5 students, but geeks covers a much broader spectrum.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The only thing I dislike at PAX concerts is the fact that I want to dance, nothing crazy, just rocking to the music and moving my arms a bit without even lifting up my feet, and I get dirty looks from the people behind me because I take up more space doing this than by being the usual PAX Concert Statue.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    The only thing I dislike at PAX concerts is the fact that I want to dance, nothing crazy, just rocking to the music and moving my arms a bit without even lifting up my feet, and I get dirty looks from the people behind me because I take up more space doing this than by being the usual PAX Concert Statue.

I highly support your danciness...just don't be a dick about it--or a drunk. But! Knowing you well enough via the boards, you're totally kosher with me. 'Course, one short chick versus a bajillion folks can't really count.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
    edited January 2009
    Raiden333 wrote: »

I dance anyway. Its a damn concert, if they don't like it then tough, they can deal <3

BrokenAngel on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hm. Dance fight thread came early this year.

This year if people are dancing in front of me I'll be sure to walk up into the empty space their dancing in. I'm pretty sure that was the lesson from the last thread.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I think the simple answer is to have a dance area. I like to dance at concerts, and honestly ignore the dirty looks (and if someone sees me dancing and walks into the empty space, what happens next is their fault). But obviously people are not kosher with the idea of actually showing they enjoy the music and adding to the energy to a show.

As a musician myself, I can easily say that when people are moving to my music...my music is automatically better, when people just stand and stare...it feels like an audition, which is possibly the most uncomfortable experience ever. And quite honestly, no amount of screaming of cheering will quell that feeling. Typically you walk away calling the show a meh show at best, and some people who feed off that energy come off feeling that their show was horrible...and probably won't want to return again.

Not to mention that standing around like a statue at a show is an incredibly emo thing to do. That's not a rip into people who don't dance, that's a very large trend in the "scene" as emo kids like to call it.

I understand if you feel embarrassed or feel like you are going to be judged, or if you don't feel comfortable dancing...that's fine (which I would like to hope that's the primary factor). But the fact that dirty looks are given, and people don't give dancers space, especially in a place where there is a tremendous amount of it, well, it tells a completely different story. So one of two things need to happen.

A: People need to deal with their insecurities and fucking move to the music.
    B: There needs to be a dance area at the concerts (even if it has to be in the no mans land that is in the back of the room).

In my opinion one of those two options is the only compromise to make everyone happy. The shows will be better, and the audience will be happier. I got really frustrated with people last year when all I heard was "The sound sucked" or "That band was horrible" when no one in the audience did anything to help. Live music is a group effort. If you really just want to sit and listen to music...that's what CD's and mp3's are for (or Dave Matthews Band). To truly enjoy a live experience you have to get into it, there's got to be a give and take.

I know being rather new to the whole PAX thing makes me somewhat disreputable, for lack of a better word, but all I ask is to try it. I guarantee the show will be better. Maybe not super amazingly better, but it will be a better experience for all.

JonnyNero on
    edited January 2009
    Oh yeah, I have nothing *wrong* with dancing at concerts. I think it's great, and completely agree that it's always rewarding when you're on stage and you get people moving. However personally (and I think this applies with a majority here, although I'm not sure at all) I won't be dancing. My reason is because I simply can't. Not insecurity or anything, as improbable as it may seem for a guy who loves performing and listening to live music, I can not move to music unless it's been choreographed. I contribute through cheering for solos, cheering for cool parts, and making a lot of noise in general.
    Also, underwear on the stage.

jonxp on
    edited January 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »

This year if people are dancing in front of me I'll be sure to walk up into the empty space their dancing in. I'm pretty sure that was the lesson from the last thread.

Don't make me dance WITH you Pika ;P Because I'll do it... and not regular dancing, I mean like the Yatta dance or the time warp.

BrokenAngel on
  • proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

DANCE FIGHT! *cues up West Side Story music*

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • AzazelAzazel Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Oh, I like this movie!!! *pulls out popcorn*

Azazel on
  • JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    jonxp wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I have nothing *wrong* with dancing at concerts. I think it's great, and completely agree that it's always rewarding when you're on stage and you get people moving. However personally (and I think this applies with a majority here, although I'm not sure at all) I won't be dancing. My reason is because I simply can't. Not insecurity or anything, as improbable as it may seem for a guy who loves performing and listening to live music, I can not move to music unless it's been choreographed. I contribute through cheering for solos, cheering for cool parts, and making a lot of noise in general.
    Also, underwear on the stage.

I understand that...which is why there should be an area set aside for dancing.

But hey, I never said I dance well...hell, my dancing is best described as rhythmic movement. I'm not winning any dance competitions in the near future :p

And hell, even bobbing your head or throwing your hands in the air and waving them like you just don't care is at least better than doing an impression of a pigeon perch

I can't believe I used that reference in context

JonnyNero on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Azazel wrote: »

Oh, I like this movie!!! *pulls out popcorn*

:?

We all have opinions of how we want to enjoy a concert. To say it's wrong to dance or saying it's wrong to not dance isn't a fact, it's an opinion. No one's wrong.

I wouldn't be opposed to a dance area.

jon's reason for not dancing is poopy.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited January 2009

Don't make me dance WITH you Pika ;P Because I'll do it... and not regular dancing, I mean like the Yatta dance or the time warp.

the dyaballikl can do the time warp! but i can only do it in drag....

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    dyaballikl wrote: »

the dyaballikl can do the time warp! but i can only do it in drag....

The Qs23 (ha, my gamertag has come into use!) can do the time warp, but only in movie theaters...

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
This discussion has been closed.