As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pssst... What's The Answer To Number 1?

• mrcheesypantsmrcheesypants Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    jpeg wrote:
    mathquizrh9.jpg

:lol:

well played.

It's annoying me to no end that I don't know what that's supposed to be.

edit: After I posted this I'm guessing middle finger?

mrcheesypants on
    Diamond Code: 2706 8089 2710
    Oh god. When I was younger, me and my friends wanted to burn the Harry Potter books.

Then I moved to Georgia.
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Saburbia wrote:
    gamt wrote:
    Freshman Year
    Spanish 1

We had to do this 2-page paper about something that somehow relates to the Spanish-speaking culture. My choice: The Aztecs, and how they influenced modern day Mexico. We had almost a month to work on it, so naturally I didn't start it until the night before it was due. I was laying on the bullshit, "paraphrasing" Wikipedia and such for my info, since actually doing the research would be WAY to much work. I finish the second page, mid-paragraph. Since it was late, I didn't want to bother finishing the paper properly, so I just erased the last line, and typed "So, in conclusion, All Your Base Are Belong To Us."

I got an A+

Also, Sophomore Year Biology:
    When grading homework, my teacher would just come around, check that you had it done, then stamp the front of it with the date. And when I say check, I mean "see if there was something which vaguely resembled writing of some sort". Half the time, we didn't even write stuff. We just put *scribble scribble* pandas *scribble scribble* cheese *scribble scribble*.
    The other half of the time, we just flat out wrote bullshit answers.

"What is a gamete?" "A scuba diver in pajamas"
    "What are the stages of mitosis?" "Twinkies>you"

We always got full points

I had a math teacher who did that, but since I always did my homework the first week or so, he just started to glance at it and thats it.

So I used my homework from the first week to show him for the rest of the year.

I went a week until my japanese teacher realized that i was filling in blanks with my name.

RubberAC on
  • VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I can't think of any funny stories right now, but when I took Applied Calculus two years ago at the local community college, I had this really great moment.

We always had a group problem every Tuesday. Now, we were given this problem, and all the groups are laboring on it, but nobody can figure it out.

Basically, we had to graph three functions and find the area of the triangle it formed. No big deal, except the triangle it made wasn't a right angle and there wasn't really a way to figure out the height easily.

But I happened to know Heron's formula; somehow I had managed to remember it from trig. So while every other group was like "wtf, how do we solve this," I'm saying, "Guys guys guys.....Heron's formula. Let's do this thing."

And we almost finish solving it and the professor dude calls for everyone's attention and says.... "Apparently I had a typo in the problem, the slope of the second line should be such and such." Apparently the new line would make a right triangle or something, I dunno. But it made it easy to solve.

Our group is kind of like .... "Oh maaaan..." and one guy grabs his erasor to start erasing, and I say, "No, let's just finish the original problem and turn it in, it's not our fault he fucked up."

So we finished solving it, and we turned it in. We all got extra credit and I received two extra credit points because apparently he overheard me telling everyone to just finish the problem and also I think he heard me propose using Heron's formula.

Now, I was in my junior year of highschool (17 yrs old) and everyone else in my group and class was 20+ so I was the subject of much jealousy, which got very awkward because I got tired of people being "Oh you're so smart, I wish I was as smart as you blah blah blah."

Virum on
  • SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Freshman year in high school we had to do persuasive speeches. None of the assigned subjects were interesting enough for me, so I asked to have a subject of my choosing. The teacher was a cool dude, and said yes.

I chose to do a persuasive speech about why men are superior to women.

No one but the teacher knew what my speech was going to be about as I went up to present. The room was divided in half, with desks on the east and west sides of the room and a space in the middle.

Naturally I had to exploit this fact. So I divided the classroom up, all the girls(25) on the west side, all the guys(7) on the east side.

Throughout the entirety of my speech, I had my back to the girls. I only looked back at the end, when for my closing statement I yelled at them to make me my dinner.

Sami on
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    There isn't anything clever about this one, just bizarre coincidences.

A couple weeks ago, my Pre-Calc teacher (who is absent minded, really dumb, and not a great teacher at all) started talking about nothing as he usually does. First pique of interest:

1. He said he took some Vicodin the night before because of a bad back; this startled me, because I'd just finished watching the 2nd season of House the night before.

2. He gives us some problems to do involving Hero's formula; I'd just started watching Heroes two days previous. More punny than anything.

3. One of our problems read, "Jack Bauer deviates from a straight line at a 30 degree angle to save an important politician, etc". Now I'd never watched 24 except for the first four episodes of Season one, but damn, three TV references in one period?

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Ninja BotNinja Bot Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Sami wrote:
    Freshman year in high school we had to do persuasive speeches. None of the assigned subjects were interesting enough for me, so I asked to have a subject of my choosing. The teacher was a cool dude, and said yes.

No one but the teacher knew what my speech was going to be about as I went up to present. The room was divided in half, with desks on the east and west sides of the room and a space in the middle.

Naturally I had to exploit this fact. So I divided the classroom up, all the girls(25) on the west side, all the guys(7) on the east side.

Throughout the entirety of my speech, I had my back to the girls. I only looked back at the end, when for my closing statement I yelled at them to make me my dinner.
    Your English teacher is the illest dude ever if he did not write you up for that.

Ninja Bot on
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Sami wrote:

What happened after that?

Gim on
  • SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I got slightly marked down for saying something about "That slut Helen of Troy", made a lot of friends as more people heard about it, the teacher uses it as an example for his students when talking about creativity...

Only the stupid girls didn't realize that it was a joke, and that was fine with me.

Sami on
  • InsiderInsider Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Freshman year of High School. (5 years ago)

Honors World History.

We are reading 'A Tale of Two Cities' and she says for every chapter we have to have a bunch of quotes and explain them and such because we have to include them in a huge essay at the end with only our notes (So couldn't use the book).

Well of course I didn't read the book at all. I had a general understanding of what it was about but that was about it. The essay was a big part of our grade.

So about a couple days before the essay is going to happen (in class essay) I ask my friend if I can copy all her quotes. She lets me but thinks I'm going to fail anyway so it doesn't matter.

Day of the essay I go into class with no preparation, I had barely even looked at the quotes I had written down. Honestly I don't even remember what the prompt was, but I used the required number of quotes and stuff and banged out an essay in the hour and 30 minutes we were given. I realize that no one else in my class was even close to finishing so she said everyone could come back at study hall and finish. Of course I was done and just printed it out and gave it to her. She gave me the wierdest look ever since no one else had finished.

The next monday, she pulls me out of class. Of course I'm thinking that she knows I copied the quotes or that she knows I didn't read it or something like that.

I see her holding my essay in her hand. She says "John this is the best essay I have ever read, I want to use it in my classes from now on as an example is that ok?"

Of course I agree. My final grade on the essay was a 100, while everyone else got 80ish.

My friends hated me, but I just laughed.

I talked to a friend of a friend who was still in High School a couple months ago. He said his teacher had assigned him the same project and had shown my paper as the example saying how perfect it was.

Probably my finest moment of bullshiting in my life.

Insider on
    Steam
    Sneaky..
  • WylderWylder Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Virum wrote:
    I can't think of any funny stories right now, but when I took Applied Calculus two years ago at the local community college, I had this really great moment.

We always had a group problem every Tuesday. Now, we were given this problem, and all the groups are laboring on it, but nobody can figure it out.

Basically, we had to graph three functions and find the area of the triangle it formed. No big deal, except the triangle it made wasn't a right angle and there wasn't really a way to figure out the height easily.

But I happened to know Heron's formula; somehow I had managed to remember it from trig. So while every other group was like "wtf, how do we solve this," I'm saying, "Guys guys guys.....Heron's formula. Let's do this thing."

And we almost finish solving it and the professor dude calls for everyone's attention and says.... "Apparently I had a typo in the problem, the slope of the second line should be such and such." Apparently the new line would make a right triangle or something, I dunno. But it made it easy to solve.

Our group is kind of like .... "Oh maaaan..." and one guy grabs his erasor to start erasing, and I say, "No, let's just finish the original problem and turn it in, it's not our fault he fucked up."

So we finished solving it, and we turned it in. We all got extra credit and I received two extra credit points because apparently he overheard me telling everyone to just finish the problem and also I think he heard me propose using Heron's formula.

Now, I was in my junior year of highschool (17 yrs old) and everyone else in my group and class was 20+ so I was the subject of much jealousy, which got very awkward because I got tired of people being "Oh you're so smart, I wish I was as smart as you blah blah blah."

Draw as small a rectangle as possible around your triangle. The "extra bits" will all be right triangles. Subtract the area of the "extra bits" from the area of your rectangle.

This is a basic geometry problem.

Wylder on
    No sig for you!
    edited February 2007
    Wylder wrote:
    Virum wrote:
    stupid calc students

Draw as small a rectangle as possible around your triangle. The "extra bits" will all be right triangles. Subtract the area of the "extra bits" from the area of your rectangle.

Hahaha...

This is why none of use were math majors I guess.

I hated geometry, I was more of a algebra guy so I never remembered that shit.

Still, I got an A in the class (no idea how - the only explanation is I got 98% on the final; an automatic A) and fullfilled my 4 years of highschool math. Haven't taken another math class since.

Virum on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Wylder wrote:
    Virum wrote:

He said that there was no easy way to figure out the height, though.

jothki on
    edited February 2007
    jothki wrote:
    Wylder wrote:
    Virum wrote:
    are of triangle

He said that there was no easy way to figure out the height, though.
    You don't need to if you do the bounding box method because it creates four right triangles at the corners; and for right triangle height is the length of a leg.

Area of the bounding box - the four right triangles = the area of the center triangle.

Ridiculously simple now that I think of it, and a class of 20 couldn't figure that out. :oops:

Anyways, on to funny/interesting stories......

Virum on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Forar wrote:
    Speaking of Scissors, some friends and I were hanging out in a classroom one day during lunch hour, when one of them gets the brilliant idea to throw a large pair of scissors at a blackboard. You've probably seen the ones, two solid pieces of metal, probably 6-8+ inch blades, usually left in the care of teachers moreso than students?

Damned things went right into the board from at least 10 feet away. It was a marvelous feat, or just really lucky. Either way, seeing a pair of scissors imbeded in a chalkboard struck us as very very funny.

These were the same people who would have competitions involving throwing lunch meat on the window and seeing which ones stayed up the longest, took a magnet, playdough and more scissors to the classroom computer, and gave at least two teachers minor nervous breakdowns (which many people lay claim to, but I'm referring to periods where the teacher took extended leave in response to our direct actions).

That was during Elementary school, in Highschool I think we matured, if just a little. We did have one teacher who had the oddest habit of referring to herself in the third person. "Mrs. Bain does not like..." etc. We began counting the number of times she did this, and kept track. We decided that when she reached 100, we'd all begin cheering. The day arrived, it occurred, she looked at us like we were crazy (having no idea what we were celebrating) and went back to the lesson plan.

I certainly wasn't a saint during those days, but I like to think I was a bit better behaved than many. Unfortunately, I was also a heavy procrastinator and slacked in general, ending high school with a 70% average.

Maybe one day I'll outgrow that scholastic mediocrity, rather than just perusing things on Wikipedia that interest me.

I knew a guy who was stabbed in the side by a pair of scissors some silly twit of a girl was waving around as he was walking up the aisle. She had them in her hand while chatting to her friend and for some reason started waving them just as he passed her. He got about half an inch in him and had a nice scar afterwards. Luckily he used to help out on his fathers farm a lot so he had some abdomen muscle to protect his insides.
    This was in grade 5.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    In my Public Speaking course (basically a freshman-level core course) we had a senior who had transferred from another college, and had been informed he would have to take this course for graduation because the equivalent course he had already taken "didn't qualify."

On the first speech we had to give he decided to go with a persuasive speech on why he should not be required to take the course. Complete with visual aids and a point-by-point breakdown of the syllabus of the course he had already completed and the course we were in. It was actually pretty good.

Apparently the instructor agreed. Decided to just give him the same grade he received int he prior course and excuse him from the rest of the course.

Good stuff.

mcdermott on
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I remember something I'm pretty proud of.

In grade 11 english we had to read two books and do some kind of essay comparing them or something like that. We had like half a semester on it, and it was worth a fair chunk of our mark. It had to be 2000 words long, and we needed to have three rough copies (!) to prove our work.

Now, looking back on it, it doesn't seem that rough. But you have to understand English was my worst subject. Like I would get 50s and 60s, barely scraping by (science and math were what I was good at).

I ended up loafting on it, and I didn't even start writing it until 9am the day it was due (due at 11:30 or noon). I finished the entire thing, rough copies and all, and got it in on time.

95%

I think the teacher was just impressed that I managed to write it start to finish so fast.

Al_wat on
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Damn, all that in two and a half hours? My hat is off to you, sir.

Gim on
  • StudioAudienceStudioAudience Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Freshman year of high school. I had a first year teacher for my geometry class. He seemed pretty cool, was in his young twenties and didn't look strict or anything. The work that he gave us to do in class was pretty easy as well.

So a couple of weeks into the semester, my friends and I were like eh, these in-class work that he gives us is cake, we should just play some cards instead. The other students also went off to do their own thing: girls got into groups to gossip rather than prove that these two line segments were perpendicular, ppl would take bathroom breaks that lasted half the class, etc.

He didn't seem to mind, so we didn't think it mattered. Well one day, he totally explodes. He storms up to the front of the room with a trash can and a geometry textbook, yells at us awhile about how classwork is important and we shouldn't be dicking around like we were, and then proceeds to tear the book into pieces. No kidding. That shit was a hardcover too. But yea, he does that and stuffs it into the garbage.

So that was the end of that. No more cards or gossipping during class work time. Strange thing though, I still don't know if his outburst was a pre-meditated event, or if it had been an impulsive thing.

StudioAudience on
    studaud.png
    GFWL: studaud (for SF4)
  • AcidSerraAcidSerra Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So you have to understand I never went to high school. I worked for the first year then took my GED and graduated and called it good.

So here I am in an English 102 calss, and I had barely scrapped by in 101. Our teacher is a bit of a hard ass, nice but a hard ass. I always listen to the lectures and try and read the material in some semblence of time but everytime there is a writing paper I miss... oh all the basic fundamentals she was looking for. So one day I got a bright idea, since I liked writing short fiction, I wrote an analysis essay in short story form, analysing it from the POV of my character. I was actually rather excited by it, she apparently wasn't. I was told to totally rewrite the paper before the next class, i.e. one day to work on it one to turn it in... I got a 67.

Still irks me that awesome paper never got it's day to shine.

Of course, this same semester I was taking two history classes and the professor would alwys test on his lectures, not the book, and give easy A type homework. So I show up every day, mostly early too, totally space when tests are and never study. I get the top in class grade, sometimes over 100%, on every single test in both classes. My friend I met in the second class dubbed me the witch. ^.^

AcidSerra on
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    mtvcdm wrote:
    This one's not related to any class, but it is school-related. I'm currently at Madison Area Technical College, last semester prior to graduation.

In one of the rooms at my local campus is a map of the US. It's your basic classroom-grade lamination job; you've likely seen your share of them. Back in my first semester, I got the urge to place all surplus pushpins in the room (which I defined as, all pushpins that were not load-bearing) into the map. I started with pushing them into New York and Chicago and LA, then soon I got the urge to keep doing this with any spare pushpins I found and balancing out the load as much as possible, until someone removed them or told me to stop.

Today, 3 1/2 years later, I placed pushpins in Fort Myers, FL, San Luis Obispo, CA and rural Missouri. There have to be somewhere around 200 in that thing and not only has nobody removed them, nobody has even NOTICED this map, inside a classroom, with 200 pushpins in it. Or how it got that way.

Is this in the Truax campus or downtown? Cause I saw something similar to this at the truax campus, and if this is you, well, holy shit.

Veevee on
  • DeVryGuyDeVryGuy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    In Grade 10 Bio I had to give an oral report on the advantages of carbohydrates, or something stupid like that. My oral report went something like this

"Carbohydrates give you energy, which allow you to do the following: Run, Jump, walk, breathe, pick up sticks, play basketball, play football, play kick ball, basically play all varieties of ball..."

and proceeded to list activities for eight minutes.

The teacher didn't interrupt once, laughed and gave me a D. I accepted it with a smile.

DeVryGuy on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5369 6910 9799
    FFTSig.jpg
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Veevee wrote:
    mtvcdm wrote:
    This one's not related to any class, but it is school-related. I'm currently at Madison Area Technical College, last semester prior to graduation.

In one of the rooms at my local campus is a map of the US. It's your basic classroom-grade lamination job; you've likely seen your share of them. Back in my first semester, I got the urge to place all surplus pushpins in the room (which I defined as, all pushpins that were not load-bearing) into the map. I started with pushing them into New York and Chicago and LA, then soon I got the urge to keep doing this with any spare pushpins I found and balancing out the load as much as possible, until someone removed them or told me to stop.

Today, 3 1/2 years later, I placed pushpins in Fort Myers, FL, San Luis Obispo, CA and rural Missouri. There have to be somewhere around 200 in that thing and not only has nobody removed them, nobody has even NOTICED this map, inside a classroom, with 200 pushpins in it. Or how it got that way.

Is this in the Truax campus or downtown? Cause I saw something similar to this at the truax campus, and if this is you, well, holy shit.
    Watertown campus. Check the ITV classroom. (Is this map you saw in the classroom you were in, or were you seeing it via satellite? If it was satellite, and Watertown, that was me.)

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    edited February 2007
    mtvcdm wrote:
    Veevee wrote:
    mtvcdm wrote:

Watertown campus. Check the ITV classroom. (Is this map you saw in the classroom you were in, or were you seeing it via satellite? If it was satellite, and Watertown, that was me.)

No, it was a map with pushpins in it in a classroom at the truax campus. Saw it about a year ago and it had what looked like 200 pushpins in it. Most of them actually in the wisconsin area so I assumed it was a teacher marking where all his students came from.

Veevee on
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    That one's not me. I've only got 5-6 in Wisconsin. I think I know which map you're talking about, though.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    DeVryGuy wrote:
    In Grade 10 Bio I had to give an oral report on the advantages of carbohydrates, or something stupid like that. My oral report went something like this

"Carbohydrates give you energy, which allow you to do the following: Run, Jump, walk, breathe, pick up sticks, play basketball, play football, play kick ball, basically play all varieties of ball..."

and proceeded to list activities for eight minutes.

The teacher didn't interrupt once, laughed and gave me a D. I accepted it with a smile.

This reminded me of an oral report I gave in either the 7th or 8th grade. I skipped a level of science so it was biology class with mainly older students and two other students my age.

Anyways, I forgot we had an oral report due until one of my friends in the class mentioned when I arrived at school. I freaked out a little, but it wasn't a major grade and I had a study hall before, so I could work it out. I hopped on the library computer and started finding internet articles that I could use. On the front page of some news site, there was an article about a radical new skin treatment for burn victims. Thinking it was cool, I printed off and wrote a report on it.

It was quite a rousing speech about how prepuces were being used to cover burn wounds and because it was real skin, it was better for the patients. I noticed during the speech that a lot of the guys in the class were looking at me funny, but I brushed it off since that wasn't new. I got a B and put the report out of my mind. A year later, I learned that prepuces are foreskins. Ever since then I've learned to research my topics.

As for cheating, the most I've ever done is make up a fictional play and wrote a review about it. I don't really count it as cheating though, since it was for a bullshit class that I was required to take.

Invisible on
  • jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I pulled the "there is an elephant in the way" gag on my last physics test. I also wrote down a bunch of complicated work and graphs, and just made it equal to a drawing of batman. On the blank I just put "the answer is Batman".

I got a 29/30. Once I get it back I'll try to remember to scan it.

jpeg on
    so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
  • SuckafishSuckafish Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The only time I cheated was on the day I got in a fight during intramurals at lunch and had to spend the entire afternoon in the VP's office. I had a math test that afternoon which I was allowed to write in the office. My textbook was with me. 102% (all questions + the bonus)

During spare one time a buddy and I were in the cafeteria and saw a kid we knew doing some work. Health class or something, because he had to label a diagram of the male genitals. We convinced him to write 'cock, balls, and ass' and the crazy bastard handed it in.

Suckafish on
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    These have all been entertaining and I thank you all for your selections.

Mine is more of a revenge tale I think.
    Senior year of high school a friend and I enrolled in a British Literature class. We enrolled because we were generally interested in the topic, everyone else was in the class because they heard it was an easy A. The teacher was a really cool guy and is also a published author and horror movie guru so the three of us got along anyhow. He announced to the class that he graded everything on a curve, hence why it was an easy A, on the first day of class. My friend and I didn't really think anything about it at the time. Then the first test came, he and I both received perfect scores on the test, totally screwing the curve for all the people just in the class for an easy GPA boost. The teacher didn't announce that we had been the ones to mess up the curve and no one in the class really suspected either. I happened to give him and another friend of mine (not in the class) rides to school so we determined that we were the two that got perfect scores. We turned it into a competition. Who could mess up the curve the most and piss off the people that usually looked down upon us for whatever reason. We eventually announced that it we were the ones destroying the curve. We began calling out our test/homework/quiz/writing assignment scores alloud to the rest of the class when we'd get them back.
    The teacher eventually pulled us aside and asked us why we were trying to mess up the curve. We told him that we were generally interested in the topic and it was the only way we could force the other students to pay attention in class or risk failing, and vengeance!!!
    Our school had some weird rule where if you were a senior and had an A in a class you didn't have to take the final. We were the only two that had managed to get A grades in the class. He announced that we didn't have to take the final the last day of class and also announced that he would not curve the final.
    My friend and I went to Bob Evan's while the final was going on. We went to the class after the final was over, no one had finished it. A few of the people that would still talk to us said he had somehow managed to make it the most difficult test ever.
    It was awesome.

edit for various reasons.

Bolthorn on
  • TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    s_86 wrote:
    From the discussion of my gr 12 Physics ISU on building a trebuchet

At first, our thoughts were to add different innovative modifications in order to have the best scoring trebuchet, since this was a competition in scoring against the other trebuchets built in our class. After all, if everyone built the classic trebuchet design, we’d all get around the same score.

A few days later it came to our realization that the classic trebuchet has been unchanged since the medieval age, which denoted perfection. Our new plan was to hope that everyone else would have modifications, and we wouldn’t.

From way back on page 5.

Just felt like I had to mention the floating-arm trebuchet.

http://www.trebuchet.com/story.php/fat.html

It was invented sometime in the 1990's. The fulcrum is on wheels, and the counterweight drops straight down.

I've wanted to build one since I knew they existed.

Tarantio on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I once had a real pain in the ass of an unprofessional jerk teacher who thought she was the greatest teacher in the world but aperrantly not. Anyways, in one paper me and a handful of my friends wrote in the middle of a sentance 'go fuck yourself Mrs. L' or some variation of it and we still all got really high scrores. Also, one of us actually really did any work, and about half of the time, it was me. What we did was just type it on one computer, throw in some vocab words, and then make up citations, and then rephrase a few sentances here and there, throw in a typo or two in different spots to throw her off and we just printed off 3 or 4 copies of essentially the same paper, just mixed up a bit.

Also:

20061207.gif

Lucky Cynic on
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Also:

awesome

That's great.

MikeMan on
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    MikeMan445 wrote:
    Also:

awesome

That's great.

Is it bad that my first reaction to this was "You idiot, the answer's -2."?

Crimson King on
  • Sir Red of the MantiSir Red of the Manti Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    MikeMan445 wrote:
    Also:

awesome

That's great.

Yea, as the quadratic formula spits out two answers.

x^2 + 6x + 9 = x + 3
    x^2 + 5x + 6 = 0

(-b +/- (b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a

(-5 +/- (25 - 24)) / 2

x = -2, x = -3

Sir Red of the Manti on
  • YarYar Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I once had a real pain in the ass of an unprofessional jerk teacher who thought she was the greatest teacher in the world but aperrantly not.
    Yes, apparently not.

Yar on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    7th grade science class, we had that egg drop thing. You built a little box out of whatever you want, and the teacher would drop it off a ladder with an egg inside. You got points based on how high it could be dropped from without the egg breaking, etc. I forgot about it until the day it was due. While the teacher was dropping everyone's project, my friend gave me some leftover supplies from his box. I borrowed a shoebox from someone else, wrapped it in all the leftover bubble wrap, and taped everything up with duct tape.

I got an A (it lasted up to the highest distance the teacher tried), while most peoples' eggs broke on the lowest or second-lowest drop. I got a lot of dirty looks.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    7th grade science class, we had that egg drop thing. You built a little box out of whatever you want, and the teacher would drop it off a ladder with an egg inside. You got points based on how high it could be dropped from without the egg breaking, etc. I forgot about it until the day it was due. While the teacher was dropping everyone's project, my friend gave me some leftover supplies from his box. I borrowed a shoebox from someone else, wrapped it in all the leftover bubble wrap, and taped everything up with duct tape.

I got an A (it lasted up to the highest distance the teacher tried), while most peoples' eggs broke on the lowest or second-lowest drop. I got a lot of dirty looks.

Haha, I remember doing that in middle school in a gifted science class. All these other people had these complex containers with rubber bands and shit. Mine? A cheap tupperware container stuffed with cotton balls that I'd thrown together that morning. That bitch survived two drops from one story up. It almost survived getting thrown straight down from the same height, but I forgot to reposition the egg in the container before the throw. I'm pretty sure I got 3rd place for that. :^:

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited February 2007
    wwtMask wrote:

Haha, I remember doing that in middle school in a gifted science class. All these other people had these complex containers with rubber bands and shit. Mine? A cheap tupperware container stuffed with cotton balls that I'd thrown together that morning. That bitch survived two drops from one story up. It almost survived getting thrown straight down from the same height, but I forgot to reposition the egg in the container before the throw. I'm pretty sure I got 3rd place for that. :^:

Had to do that in 7th grade as well, I remember one kid made a rubber band contraption that when landed the egg rebounded up to about half the drop height. Kid forgot to put a cover on to keep the egg in the cradle.

Another one encased the egg in foam and broke the egg while trying to get it out, ass of a teacher gave the kid a C as the egg didn't survive.

We also had to do a project where we had to build a safty device for an egg during a crash in a CO2 car. We couldn't stop the car or slow it down, but we got to build the car. The person who made the fastest car and let the egg survive won. A lot of the cars made hit the block of wood put down as a wall and launched into the air, usually landing egg side down. I happened to take an eyehook and put it into the board and run a string to make sure my car stayed on the ground. Egg ended up breaking anyways, but I got props for thinking that problem through. Ass of a teacher still gave me a C though, as the egg didn't survive.

Veevee on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    MikeMan445 wrote:
    Also:

awesome

That's great.

Yea, as the quadratic formula spits out two answers.

x^2 + 6x + 9 = x + 3
    x^2 + 5x + 6 = 0

(-b +/- (b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a

(-5 +/- (25 - 24)) / 2

x = -2, x = -3

You shouldn't even need to use the quadratic forumula there, it's simple enough to just factor out by eye.

jothki on
  • BigPointyTeethBigPointyTeeth run away! run away! MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I once tried to cheat in highschool. It was honors pre-calc/trig and the teacher sprung a surprise quiz on us and paired us off. I had stopped paying attention a long time ago, and my partner didn't know what was going on, so I pulled out my calculator and chucked it across the room towards one of my friends. I got up, said "oops, I dropped my calculator", then walked over behind my friend and stood there jotting answers down on my hand. Then I picked up my calculator and went back to my seat. Shortly after that the teacher declared that she wasn't going to grade the test.

BigPointyTeeth on
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    wwtMask wrote:

We did that at a camp, dropped it off of this tower on the highest mountain in PA. Couple stories high. Had to use a milk carton. I actually did it with toothpicks and rubber bands. Poke two holes in either side, push the edges of four rubber bands through the holes, hold 'em in place with the toothpicks. Put the egg in the middle of the rubber bands, with the bands placed equal distance around the egg.

Sucker didn't break, and didn't swing hard enough to hit the top or bottom of the carton. Rock.

Jragghen on