As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Movie Release Awareness - January '09 (Gim and Bigfoot seen being abducted by UFO)

• TrueHereticXTrueHereticX We are the future Charles, not them. They no longer matter. Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Gim wrote: »
    Bigfoot is a myth.

Ooo, they're remaking The Crow. Interesting.

What?

They better not murder it, I quite like the 1st one (apart from Brandon Lee carking it D:)

They better not murder The Crow

Oh goddamnit :P

Completely unintentional people, sorry boout that

TrueHereticX on
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I watched Come and See last night. Really good, but one hell of a tough movie to sit through. The scene in the village towards the end is intense.

Gim on
  • DoxaDoxa Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Did anyone see the Reader? If so, I've got a question.
    Were the main character's reasons for not speaking up in Hannah's defense meant to be ambiguous, or did I miss something? I couldn't tell if it was because he thought she deserved to be imprisoned, or if he was ashamed of his relationship with her.
    Also, two girls at my showing laughed when the dude showed his penis. I'm sure glad that wasn't my penis!

I saw it, and
    I'm pretty sure the reason he didn't want to say anything was because she wanted it to be kept a secret, and he respected that. See the conversation between him and the professor. Also because he was afraid and ashamed. They were arguing that the only important thing was the presentation of the information. See: It doesn't matter what you think, it doesn't matter how you feel.

Doxa on
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It looks like that whole Watchmen fiasco is over.

In other news, there was going to be a Sarah Michelle Gellar (PG-13) horror/suspense flick coming out at the end of this month that I was too lazy to put up in the OP and well...it looks like it won't be coming out in theaters at all now! I guess I have some kinda ESP or something.

Aaaaand finally, I will be seeing My Bloody Valentine 3D over the weekend and am all kinds of excited.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Defiance was a bit disappointing. Not much happens that isn't quite hollywoodised and predictable. Good job on the russian speaking though.

Rook on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    It looks like that whole Watchmen fiasco is over.

In other news, there was going to be a Sarah Michelle Gellar (PG-13) horror/suspense flick coming out at the end of this month that I was too lazy to put up in the OP and well...it looks like it won't be coming out in theaters at all now! I guess I have some kinda ESP or something.

Aaaaand finally, I will be seeing My Bloody Valentine 3D over the weekend and am all kinds of excited.

High 5 I'm seeing it tomorrow for cheaper ticket prices (fuck 20 dollars for 2 people).

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Gim wrote: »
    Bigfoot is a myth.

Ooo, they're remaking The Crow. Interesting.

What?

They better not murder it, I quite like the 1st one (apart from Brandon Lee carking it D:)

They better not murder The Crow

Wait, is that in reference to the group term ("a murder of crows, a gaggle of geese, an exaltation of larks, a crash of rhinos"), or the death of Brandon Lee, or the murder in the context of the story itself?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm looking forward to Taken (I would watch a movie about two dudes making out if one of those dudes was Liam Neeson), and I'm going to see Gran Torino tonight. There's nothing else I'm very excited about this month, but I'd love to see The Wrestler get a release in my area.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • clownfoodclownfood packet pusher in the wallsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    darklite_x wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to Taken (I would watch a movie about two dudes making out if one of those dudes was Liam Neeson)

You haven't seen Kinsey have you?

clownfood on
    photo-4798.jpg?_r=1355437546
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Paul Blart! Woo!!11 Going to see it tomorrow. Anyone else interested in it? I love Kevin James.

urahonky on
    edited January 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    Paul Blart! Woo!!11 Going to see it tomorrow. Anyone else interested in it? I love Kevin James.

I wasn't at first but Ebert gave it a surpringly good review.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited January 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

I wasn't at first but Ebert gave it a surpringly good review.

I assume the movie would rate really low, honestly. So anything above a 60 is a "good" review for me. :)

urahonky on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ebert gives everything good reviews

nexuscrawler on
    edited January 2009
    Jesus fuck... Why do I read the comments on imdb.com? They are almost as bad as Youtube.

urahonky on
    edited January 2009

No he doesn't.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited January 2009

No he doesn't.

He'll give reviews like "from the perspective of this being a terrible movie: IT'S GENIUS!"

nexuscrawler on
    edited January 2009

No he doesn't.

He'll give reviews like "from the perspective of this being a terrible movie: IT'S GENIUS!"

He at leaves gives reasons for that. I mean if you like shitty movies and he says "this movie is the shitty persons shitty movie so you'll like it". It's not like he gives every movie a thumbs up based on that though.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    He hated Baghead, and based on that review he probably hates all mumblecore films.

Course, there are few things more irritating than mumblecore.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited January 2009
    Mumblecore? That just sounds retarded.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited January 2009
    I would describe Baghead as retarded, yes.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited January 2009
    They're remaking Friday 13th too

woo?

nexuscrawler on
    edited January 2009
    They're remaking Friday 13th too

woo?

Yeah sounded kind of retarded based on their "Jason is the real hero" idea.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

And a quick jaunt to Wiki informs that mumblecore "is primarily characterized by ultra-low budget production (often employing digital video cameras), focus on personal relationships between twenty-somethings, improvised scripts, and non-professional actors".

Oh hurray.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    edited January 2009

And a quick jaunt to Wiki informs that mumblecore "is primarily characterized by ultra-low budget production (often employing digital video cameras), focus on personal relationships between twenty-somethings, improvised scripts, and non-professional actors".

Oh hurray.

So basically like someone did QC the movie?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited January 2009

Oh hurray.

Exactly.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited January 2009

Oh hurray.

Exactly.

Nancy Kerrigan should be posted outside of each theater playing these movies.

WHY?!??!?!?! WHY!?!?!?!?! WHY!?!?!?!?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited January 2009
    Should I see Waltz with Bashir or the Wrestler?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited January 2009
    Should I see Waltz with Bashir or the Wrestler?
    You should see My Bloody Valentine 3D instead!

Or The Wrestler.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited January 2009
    Sorry, but this third dimension thing sounds terrifying.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited January 2009
    That's the point

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited January 2009
    My bloody valentine should be called all the most horrible ways to die by fucking pick axe. It was as awesome and bloody as you can imagine. And the director was amazingly competent so not only could you see the action you saw it in glorious 3d.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited January 2009
    It's getting awesome reviews, which is really weird for a slasher flick.

I hope to see it tomorrow.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009

Holy fuck! It's getting 72% on RT.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited January 2009

It's exactly what a slasher film used to be, with an inventive use of the 3d ( you keep the glasses on the whole time and it just makes things look crisper I'd say). Director kept the camera on the action to brutal detail. Acting wasn't distracting because most of the movie was brutality.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited January 2009
    I hear there is a 5 minute long nude chase scene.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited January 2009
    I hear there is a 5 minute long nude chase scene.

Can't recall if its 5 minutes, but yeah full frontal. Actress is wearing nothing from start to finish. No real slow parts in the movie as well.

Honestly if you want to see a graphic graphic horror movie this is that movie. Sadly it'll probably at best clock in at 5 on the chart.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I saw The Wrestler tonight.

Holy shit.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I made the terrible mistake of paying money to watch Unborn, on a Saturday evening.

So basically it's like watching a horror film with a few dozen screaming little children who screams at every 'scare'.

Though honestly there's nothing one could do to make watching the movie enjoyable. The acting was horrible, I couldnt help myself but laugh every time Odette Yustman tries to act desperate and scare; as she comes across as being a whinny 10 years old girl.

"He is going to kill everyone I love and then he is going to kill me, Romey!"

Not to mention there's so many illogical decisions the characters made. I know jocks are dumbasses, but I highly doubt there's a jock dumbass enough to throw himself through a glass door to open it.

Not to mention that there's no sense of horror in this film. Just an over reliance on predictable shock scares.

But hell what was I expecting when the movie poster is this

NSFW

Save yourself cash and just look at the movie poster for 2 seconds. The only good part about this film is Odette Yustman ass and camel toe.

Casually Hardcore on
    edited January 2009
    Yeah a friend of mine saw the unborn and he said it was just awful plain and simple.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited January 2009
    Man, I still have to disagree.

I thought there were a bunch of good scares throughout the flick.

The plot was terrible, yeah, but it held a creepy tension throughout.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg