As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

F.E.A.R. 2 out this week: YOU CAN STILL KICK PEOPLE IN THE FACE

darleysamdarleysam On my way toUKRegistered User regular
edited September 2009 in Games and Technology
http://kotaku.com/5133063/fear-2-demo-drops-next-week
Warner Bros. Interactive just let slip that a single player demo for F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin is making its way to the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC come January 22nd. Players will traipse through bloodied corridors, making little terrified squeaking noises in between emptying clip after clip of ammunition into whatever wants to kill you in the city of Auburn.

Mind you the PlayStation 3 demo is currently available to Qore subscribers, with the rest of the flock getting it the same day as everybody else. PC gamers are instructed to report to www.whatisfear.com when the time is right to secure their demo.

***F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin Demo Available January 22***

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment today announced that the single player demo for F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin will be available for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, Games for Windows® and PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system beginning January 22. The demo will be available on Xbox LIVE® Marketplace for Xbox 360 and PlayStation®Network for the PLAYSTATION 3. Fans can visit www.whatisfear.com to download the Games for Windows version. The PLAYSTATION 3 demo is currently available exclusively to Qore™: Presented by the PlayStation®Network subscribers. The full game will ship to retailers in North America on February 10.

The F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin demo will offer a glimpse of the action, terror and suspense of the full retail version of the game. Players will maneuver through bloodstained corridors and hallways from several locations in the game, as they combat through various parts of the city of Auburn, which now lays in ruin after the catastrophic explosion that rocked the finale of F.E.A.R.

F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin, the highly anticipated sequel to the 2005 smash hit game, F.E.A.R., is a blend of advanced visceral combat mixed with seamless game pacing set inside a sinister and paranormal universe that begins shortly before the ending of F.E.A.R. A Special Forces squad is on a routine mission when the city of Auburn is rocked by a supernatural explosion. Alma, a girl with immense power and a thirst for revenge, has unleashed her wrath upon the city and thrown it into chaos. The squad must combat enemy forces and the supernatural as they struggle to find a way to stop Alma and uncover the mysterious forces arrayed against them before it’s too late.

I can say more about F.E.A.R. (yes lol tortured acronym, don't make me KICK YOU IN THE FACE) later on when I get home from work, but it is one of the finest FPS made, and that has left me absolutely giddy for the sequel.

edit: I will, however, link to Helloween's very enjoyable Let's Play for FEAR
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=7189564#post7189564

forumsig.png
darleysam on

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    F.I.R.S.T. E.N.C.O.U.N.T.E.R. A.S.S.A.U.L.T. R.E.C.O.N. 2.

I should hopefully have fixed my 460 by then so YAY!

Big Classy on
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I about damn time.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I read in a preview that they removed the kicks and just opted for a simple rifle melee attack like in every other freaking FPS.

This makes me a sad sad panda.

subedii on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    I read in a preview that they removed the kicks and just opted for a simple rifle melee attack like in every other freaking FPS.

This makes me a sad sad panda.

Also a MECH TO STOMP ABOUT THE CITY AND BLOW THE NUTS OFF THINGS.

I am placated.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited January 2009
    Mech wins this round.

Seriously though as long as I can toss a nade and shoot it in mid air while time is slowed I will be fine.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
    edited January 2009
    Can I still pin people into walls? Because I quite liked that. Redecorating a room with armored soldiers is a fantastic concept. It should be a mini-game all on its own.

Big Classy on
    edited January 2009
    Macro9 wrote: »
    Mech wins this round.

Seriously though as long as I can toss a nade and shoot it in mid air while time is slowed I will be fine.

Yeah this. When I first discovered I could do this, my face was a picture of glee.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited January 2009
    darleysam wrote: »
    Mech wins this round.

Yeah this. When I first discovered I could do this, my face was a picture of glee.

How the hell did I not come across this? I played this game to death, knew all the scary bits inside out, timed my run around levels so that I caught enemies unaware and yet still, STILL I DID NOT KNOW THIS.

GOD.

Big Classy on
    edited January 2009
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Mech wins this round.

How the hell did I not come across this? I played this game to death, knew all the scary bits inside out, timed my run around levels so that I caught enemies unaware and yet still, STILL I DID NOT KNOW THIS.

GOD.

There's a rifle in the game that fires high powered spikes into people. With the killing shot they typically go flying backwards and get pinned to a wall.

It was pretty brutal to suddenly come upon someone and end up spiking their head to the ceiling or something.

subedii on
    edited January 2009
    Mech wins this round.

GOD.

There's a rifle in the game that fires high powered spikes into people. With the killing shot they typically go flying backwards and get pinned to a wall.

It was pretty brutal to suddenly come upon someone and end up spiking their head to the ceiling or something.
    Can I still pin people into walls? Because I quite liked that. Redecorating a room with armored soldiers is a fantastic concept. It should be a mini-game all on its own.

I think he knows.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited January 2009
    Mech wins this round.

GOD.

I think he knows.

Well now he knows it BETTER OK?!

[tiny]I so fail at reading comprehension[/tiny]

subedii on
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    they got rid of kicks...but I enjoyed the martial arts tournamnets!

Dixon on
    edited January 2009
    Dixon wrote: »
    they got rid of kicks...but I enjoyed the martial arts tournamnets!

sweep_the_leg-750991.jpg

Sweep the leg.

subedii on
    edited January 2009
    I loved busting off a bicycle kick in the middle of a gunfight.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I thought FEAR was about survival horror (though honesty the safest part in FEAR is during the scary parts). So what could possibly be fear inducing enough to put fear into someone piloting a mech of doom?

Casually Hardcore on
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Also leaping over a table where a clone soldier was taking cover and kicking him in the face was the best way to end a firefight EVER.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    edited January 2009
    I thought FEAR was about survival horror (though honesty the safest part in FEAR is during the scary parts). So what could possibly be fear inducing enough to put fear into someone piloting a mech of doom?

No, it does have some moments that are rather tense and scary (that didn't work for some people, but hey, watch the Let's Play in the OP to see your average reaction to things), but the other half of the game was kickass action-fuelled gunfights.
    Some of the most kinetic and tactile action in a game.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited January 2009

I wouldn't consider FEAR to be in the same boat as survival horror games. It's all about the ass kickings and AI. The scary bits are nice but it's not like you are trying to survive some type of horror shit. Your job is to kick ass and get stalked by some weird girl.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    O.F.F.I.C.E A.N.D. W.A.R.E.H.O.U.S.E

The_Scarab on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

The name FEAR is kind of a misnomer. The game isn't supposed to scare you so much as put you in a constant state of tension and paranoia.

Which Alma wonderfully achieves.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »

Bah, F.E.A.R. was better then Crysis inspite of having two, maybe three environments. And the first expansion was actually pretty good, too. We aren't going to talk about the second.

chamberlain on
    edited January 2009

Actually they've talked a lot about expanding the environments since that was one of the main complaints with the original game.

So they decided spice things up and go with a colour drained, over-saturated and partially destroyed city.

Yeah.

subedii on
    edited January 2009

Bah, F.E.A.R. was better then Crysis inspite of having two, maybe three environments. And the first expansion was actually pretty good, too. We aren't going to talk about the second.

I'm going to go ahead and say that they were different styles of game.

And Crysis was totally better anyway so neener neener.

subedii on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Can't wait.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited January 2009
    Oh dont get me wrong, I fucking loved FEAR. It was superb.

But there was a saturation point where I was all 'ok fuck this I've just come out of 5 hours of offices fuck this game'.

The FEAR 2 e3 demo had more variety than the whole of the first game.

The_Scarab on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    They removed the kicks and stuff? Fuck that, I hope someones getting fired for the worst decision of 2009.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    edited January 2009
    Rami wrote: »
    They removed the kicks and stuff? Fuck that, I hope someones getting fired for the worst decision of 2009.

Sorry the guy at Sonic Team who first uttered the word 'Were-hog' had that in the bag long ago. And will continue to win that award for the next decade.

The_Scarab on
    edited January 2009
    Well I could be wrong. I've only seen it stated in one place, in a preview in this months PC Zone. I'd really like to believe it was a mistake on their part and that I'll still be able to kick people in the face.

subedii on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    For some reason I thought this game came out like a year ago.

UnbreakableVow on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    QFT on FEAR not being scary, just because of the fact that you're a super-powered special operative who can slow down time and carries a wide variety of guns from the EarthRaper 2000 to the PlanetFucker 6000.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    QFT on FEAR not being scary, just because of the fact that you're a super-powered special operative who can slow down time and carries a wide variety of guns from the EarthRaper 2000 to the PlanetFucker 6000.

But little girls frighten me.

chamberlain on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    They could remove everything about player control from F.E.A.R. 1 except the shotgun, and it'd still be totally great.

Dehumanized on
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

And yet your guns don't work on the thing that's trying to scare you.

But they better not nerf the RUINER OF ALL THINGS FLESH known as the F.E.A.R. Shotgun.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    edited January 2009

Alma's older in this one.
    To be honest, I thought the adult, bloody, naked, angry Alma was a lot more creepy than child Alma. I think they just relied on that cliche way too much and hoped that would be enough to make her scary through the game.

subedii on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

To be honest, I thought the adult, bloody, naked, angry Alma was a lot more creepy than child Alma. I think they just relied on that cliche way too much and hoped that would be enough to make her scary through the game.
    I'd say the one time Child Alma really succeeded was when you were crawling around in some sort of crawl space and caught a glimpse of her coming at you like some kind of demented spider-thing.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Alma just wanted a hug, poor little girl.

Though I wonder what role Alma is going to play, I mean all she really does is fuck people up.

Casually Hardcore on
    edited January 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »

I'd say the one time Child Alma really succeeded was when you were crawling around in some sort of crawl space and caught a glimpse of her coming at you like some kind of demented spider-thing.

Yeah that bit did get me. That and the part with the ladder. I just think they depended too much on the fact that she was the creepy little girl in the horror movie, and thought that would be enough to make it work. They needed to do more with her if they really wanted to make her sinister.

I'm hoping they've got more up their sleeve this time around.

subedii on
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    For some reason I thought this game came out like a year ago.

(could be wrong, but...)

The fear license was handed off to a different Dev that made two expansion packs. Now F.E.A.R. is back in the hands of its creators, which I have to think is a good thing. I saw an interview somewhere where the (original) devs said the expansions took the story in a direction they weren't very happy with, and they essentially consider them non-canon.

So... there were, sort of, sequels to F.E.A.R. But they don't count. In the same way the Devil May Cry series goes 1, 3, 4 - though I doubt the expansions were quite so horrendous.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
    edited January 2009
    Alma just wanted a hug, poor little girl.

Though I wonder what role Alma is going to play, I mean all she really does is fuck people up.

I guess if she posed more of an actual threat to the player that would have been a good start. Once you figured it out, it was obvious that she just popped up as a non-interactive cutscene and couldn't actually do anything to you. At that point she just lost all the scary for me. There were points where she'd jump out and shock you, and they did make me jump, but that's not really the same thing.

Well, that was my main complaint with her anyway. I was never really creeped out by her the way I was with say, Pyramid Head in Silent Hill 2 for example. That dude was all manner of screwed up, and he did pose a threat to you as well, so you never knew when you saw or heard him what was going to happen next.

subedii on
  • MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've been following this for a lonnnggg time now, I was glad they got the name license back. Project Origin just sounded too obscure for anyone but fans of the game. Anyways, can't wait otherwise, as long as the gunplay was as involving. I'm half hoping they put in a cover system....I glossed over fine details about the game of late, I want it to be somewhat of a surprise.

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume