As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

X3 - Shiny Star Ships in Space

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh dick ass broken Steam interface won't let me download it.

Time to submit another application for tech support.

And SO, I beat Mechwarrior 2, without a joystick. How much trouble is this game comparatively?

MrMonroe on
  • OmegaTofuNinjaOmegaTofuNinja Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Look what if I don't want to be traded

what then

OmegaTofuNinja on
    Facebook Wii: 7912 0299 8667 6601 I tweet sometimes Poetry?!
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Tofu what happened to your boobs.

Synthetic Orange on
  • OmegaTofuNinjaOmegaTofuNinja Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    They were taken from me in the cold, cold night.

I now seek revenge

OmegaTofuNinja on
    Facebook Wii: 7912 0299 8667 6601 I tweet sometimes Poetry?!
  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I hope this game is joystick friendly. Third person space sims controlled entirely by the mouse can go fuck themselves.

theSquid on
    edited January 2009
    It's got Freelancer style controls. Your protests are dum!

Synthetic Orange on
  • marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    - How well does this game play with a gamepad, if at all?

- How like/unlike Eve is it?

Ever since I dropped out of Eve I've been needing some spaceship lovin', and Sins isn't really doing it for me.

marty_0001 on
    edited January 2009
    It's more like Elite/Privateer/Freelancer's bigger, meaner uncle.

Synthetic Orange on
  • jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This game was worse than "Terminus" and that's really saying something.

jwalk on
  • RabidDeathMooseRabidDeathMoose Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This game is probably the best and most incomprehensibly difficult game to play I've ever seen. It is everything I ever wanted in a space combat game minus ease of use and a soft learning curve.

Everything about it is awesome except learning to play it. It's on my list of things I will eventually get to.

RabidDeathMoose on
    edited January 2009
    2utjfci.jpg

Earth makes my computer want to die but it's so pretty.

Synthetic Orange on
    edited January 2009
    Ok, I got steam fixed (thanks guy from the G&T Steam thread) and I don't see this as being terribly difficult to use. I've only played for an hour or so, though.

What is killing me is the fucking AI and the autopilot.

The AI seems to be pretty darn good at combat, and very versatile in that respect, but getting from point A to point B seems to be completely beyond them, tossing and turning in random directions constantly as though they were always under fire.

But holy shit is it ever pretty

MrMonroe on
  • MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Is this mac compatible you guys

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Mr. Henry BemisMr. Henry Bemis God is love Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    (hehehehehehh)

Mr. Henry Bemis on
    Nothing is true; Everything is permitted
  • LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I tried X2 but lost interest pretty quick.
    I definitely want to blow up ships in space though. Is X3 better/worse?
    Oh and is there a mod to add a cockpit/command deck like in X2? That's one thing I really liked.

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck time to bring out my game and finish getting my Player HQ. I think I'll put it in Kingdom's End along with my awesome factory complex because I like the music there best.

Khavall on
    edited January 2009
    jesus fuck this is confusing.

I don't see what the fuss about "difficult" is, I'm just confused as to why the AI seems so fucking retarded with the simplest tasks but perfectly proficient when it comes to shooting things.

Also: is there any way to dock with a station without using the autopilot? It seems terribly tedious to fly out to ten kilometers away and then slow to half my ship's top speed for the ride in.

MrMonroe on
  • Mr. Henry BemisMr. Henry Bemis God is love Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    did you update to 1.4

Mr. Henry Bemis on
    Nothing is true; Everything is permitted
    edited January 2009
    1.04? Yes. It says there are no updates available.

MrMonroe on
    edited January 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »

I don't see what the fuss about "difficult" is, I'm just confused as to why the AI seems so fucking retarded with the simplest tasks but perfectly proficient when it comes to shooting things.

Also: is there any way to dock with a station without using the autopilot? It seems terribly tedious to fly out to ten kilometers away and then slow to half my ship's top speed for the ride in.

Docking computer.

Other than that, you can manually dock if you call up the station, request docking clearance, line up the ship yourself and then fly in at an amazingly slow speed 'till you dock. Autopilot's faster than the manual dock, just crank SETA up to 1000% and it doesn't take too long.

I do recommend doing at least one manual dock though during your time playing. The music is pretty cool and it's fun to guide the ship in once. Sometimes I like to take ships in manually. It's fun.

Sometimes I also like taking a Disco out into the galaxy for a spin and just fly. Skim near the top of a SPP, fly orbits around asteroids....

EDIT: I still haven't picked up TC. I like Vanilla X3 though. And in my current game I started off by getting every single unclaimed ship in the universe. I don't want to do that again.

Khavall on
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Khavall wrote: »

Docking computer.

Other than that, you can manually dock if you call up the station, request docking clearance, line up the ship yourself and then fly in at an amazingly slow speed 'till you dock. Autopilot's faster than the manual dock, just crank SETA up to 1000% and it doesn't take too long.

I do recommend doing at least one manual dock though during your time playing. The music is pretty cool and it's fun to guide the ship in once. Sometimes I like to take ships in manually. It's fun.

Sometimes I also like taking a Disco out into the galaxy for a spin and just fly. Skim near the top of a SPP, fly orbits around asteroids....

EDIT: I still haven't picked up TC. I like Vanilla X3 though. And in my current game I started off by getting every single unclaimed ship in the universe. I don't want to do that again.

Never give navigation commands while your in the same system too. Leave the system then give commands, they lose collision as long as you aren't in there with them, so they stop hitting shit.

Morkath on
    edited January 2009
    Morkath wrote: »

Docking computer.

Never give navigation commands while your in the same system too. Leave the system then give commands, they lose collision as long as you aren't in there with them, so they stop hitting shit.
    Yeah, I found that out when I lost a ship and hadn't saved or docked in a while.

Luckily I made up for it by saving and capping a trio of pirate ships, the fuckers. Now I've got like 10 UTs, 3 STs, and 2 large self-sufficient manufacturing plants.

Khavall on
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh also, semi spoiler on the very very ending of the terran plot. Barely a spoiler as it was already semi-mentioned in a screenshot.
    Don't autodock with earth, they will nuke your ass out of the sky for going into their nofly zone. Do a manual dock and fly straight in.
    Also don't send your ships there, they tend to make it in fine, but then not get back out.

Morkath on
    edited January 2009
    fo30146.jpg
    See that tiny tiny guy in the spacesuit between the two ships? That's me, going for a little spacewalk.

Here's more pictures!

fo30118.jpg
    fo30131.jpg
    fo30132.jpg
    fo30136.jpg
    fo30142.jpg
    fo30144.jpg
    fo30149.jpg
    fo30152.jpg

Synthetic Orange on
  • zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    is this like an Rts where you click to move or like Eve movement?

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    These are stuff I took from back when X3 first came out
    x3screen00011.jpg
    station.jpg
    fight.jpg
    lasers.jpg
    3.jpg
    dock.jpg
    x3screen.jpg
    x3screen0009.jpg
    x3screen00004.jpg
    x3screen00035.jpg
    pbase.jpg
    hub.jpg
    power1.jpg
    power2.jpg
    patrol.jpg
    x9.jpg
    x3screen00002.jpg
    par1.jpg
    par2.jpg
    prepar.jpg
    x3screen00023.jpg
    x3screen00022.jpg
    hub1.jpg
    paranid.jpg
    complex.jpg
    compare.jpg
    centaur1.jpg
    centaur.jpg
    nova.jpg
    rat.jpg
    solar.jpg
    mercury.jpg
    orbital.jpg
    buster.jpg
    reknown.jpg
    x31.jpg

Weaver on
    edited January 2009
    zimfan wrote: »

It's sort of... hybrid movement.

You can take direct control of a ship and fly it with mouse, and you can give orders and the ship will automatically fly to certain stations or buoys. You can also take command of individual turrets on the ship, with the ship on autopilot or stopped. You end up using all types of movement in the game... sometimes you fly, sometimes you throw on autopilot and sometimes you take a turret.

You can also give orders to wingmen and other ships, some just simple movement or attacks, but also you can, say, give the "Sector Trader" command with certain components, which has the ship use your money in a specific sector to buy goods with high supply and sell goods with high demand, making you money over time. You can also give simply orders to your turrets, like "Missile Defense", which tries to shoot incoming missiles, or "Attack nearest enemy" or "Defend ship", etc.

Khavall on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited January 2009
    X3 is still one of the best looking games on the market.

Tube on
    edited January 2009
    I remember at one point I had destroyed every last Paranid capital ship and naval production yard. I basically destroyed the Paranid race as a spacefaring species.

Weaver on
    edited January 2009
    zimfan wrote: »

It's sort of... hybrid movement.

You can take direct control of a ship and fly it with mouse, and you can give orders and the ship will automatically fly to certain stations or buoys. You can also take command of individual turrets on the ship, with the ship on autopilot or stopped. You end up using all types of movement in the game... sometimes you fly, sometimes you throw on autopilot and sometimes you take a turret.

You can also give orders to wingmen and other ships, some just simple movement or attacks, but also you can, say, give the "Sector Trader" command with certain components, which has the ship use your money in a specific sector to buy goods with high supply and sell goods with high demand, making you money over time. You can also give simply orders to your turrets, like "Missile Defense", which tries to shoot incoming missiles, or "Attack nearest enemy" or "Defend ship", etc.

Don't forget joystick flight.

Weaver on
    edited January 2009
    I made my empire being everybody's friend. No destroying races.

Khavall on
    edited January 2009
    I really want a mod that makes TC control exactly like X3 because I honestly can't play it the way it is.

Tube on
    edited January 2009
    The computer voice in X3 was always annoying as fuck

Weaver on
  • JaramrJaramr Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The thing about the X games is that they are super awesome, Terran Conflict even more so.

The only problem with Terran Conflict is that it hates all computers ever, X3 Reunion runs a million times better on my machine.

Oh and the modding community is pretty awesome.

Terran Conflict:
    http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=225928

And Reunion:
    http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=204448
    http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=204894

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2009
    I really want a mod that makes TC control exactly like X3 because I honestly can't play it the way it is.

Shift-N changes the flight controls back to X3:R style.

Synthetic Orange on
    edited January 2009
    Unfortunately it doesn't. It changes them back to X3 style but with no cursor. That cursor was vital.

Tube on
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, but the cursor was from the targetting software, wasnt it?

In any case, I found the transition a bit annoying, but the current control scheme is far superior to the old X3R controls and interface now that I've gotten used to it.

Synthetic Orange on
    edited January 2009
    Shit was it? So I can buy an extension and get my cursor back? I do not recall that.

Tube on
  • stabbystabby Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't get all the fuss. I've actually started using the mouse more often than my joystick when I'm flying a big ship for example run on sentence.

stabby on
    edited January 2009
    If you mean the leading cursor that's basically 'shoot here to kill' then yeah, that's with the fight command software.

Synthetic Orange on