As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Got Frost Bite?

MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain?ChicagoRegistered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Medical advice thread here. Yes, "Go to the doctor." So question is should I go now or can I wait?

On Tuesday morning, when it was ass-cold here in Chicago, I decided to use the air pump at the gas station. I held the metal valve for a few minutes w/out gloves.

Over the next few days I've had red splotches on my hand, not really blisters, but more like rosacea. My hand doesn't hurt, but pressing or squeezing on the spots causes some pain.

Frostbite seems like it'd be my whole hand and have gotten worse by now, so it just a little freezer burn that will go away, or something worse?

MichaelLC on

• Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It sounds like you just have frostnip, not full-on frostbite (there's a difference in how deep the cold damage goes). From what it sounds like, it's basically at the sunburn level right now in terms of skin damage.

I found this eHow article about it which seems relatively informative. The article should also give you good treatment options to follow prior to your appointment.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    Mr. PokeylopeMr. Pokeylope Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    From my Kaiser Healthwise handbook on frostbite:
    Blisters may form as the skins warms. In severe cases, the blisters may appear as small blood spots under the skin.

And the book recommends seeing a doctor due to the danger of infection when blisters form. But it's really hard to make any judgments over the internet about your condition.

Do you have the option of urgent care in your health plan? It allows you to see a doctor same day and in a non emergency situation allows you to avoid the ER. It's usually cheaper and you don't have to wait as long either. Might be worth it just for piece of mind.

Mr. Pokeylope on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Thanks for the replies. That article was good, I liked the "folk remedies".

I do have insurance, I just hate going to the hospital. I may though, because one is starting to get a blister.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    RNEMESiS42RNEMESiS42 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm guessing since you were only out for a bit, you're hands are slightly damaged by the cold and severely chapped. Sometimes in the winter I get what almost looks like little spots of psoriasis on my hands when I don't talk proper care of them.

RNEMESiS42 on
    my apartment looks upside down from there
    water spirals the wrong way out the sink
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    The most important thing is to NOT leave that skin exposed to any sort of cold until it's healed. Right now it is going to be far more fragile than it was before and you can very easily make a very minor condition into something very not-minor. Keep warm, keep your hands covered when outdoors and stop doing stupid things like pumping gas without mitts on.

Basically it's like a burn and it'll heal itself. Keep your hands clean, wash them thoroughly, and when they're more healed an aloe vera hand lotion might not be a terrible idea either. If it's blistering or whatever, yeah maybe visit a doctor. I honestly don't think a doctor will be able to do much for you, aside from possibly wrapping the affected area to prevent exposure to possible infection, but I'm not a doctor and I don't know for certain, I've never had frostbite anywhere near being serious enough to warrant a trip to a doctor.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH