As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

who wants to be a slumdog!

• RobchamRobcham The Rabbit King of your pantsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I liked how the questions somehow synced up chronologically to his life SOMEHOW

Robcham on
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    now that I'm not poor I don't care about poor people

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Robcham wrote: »
    I liked how the questions somehow synced up chronologically to his life SOMEHOW

are

are you really complaining about this

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2009
    I really liked this film, though

Robcham on
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I liked Slumdog a lot. Boyle is quickly becoming one of my very favorite directors because whatever faults his movies have are overshadowed by the brilliant direction and stylistic choices. I love Sunshine so much. So much.

Faricazy on
  • PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    sunshine was full of beautiful people

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Goddammit this movie was so thematically unsatisfying

I feel such an asshole having to be the one dude who did not care for it

Poorochondriac on
    edited January 2009
    thats how you should feel Pooro

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2009
    I just have a hard time accepting "The only way out of abject poverty is to be extremely lucky" as a happy ending.

Also, the douchebag rapist brother was entirely undeserving of redemption. Him getting an out as a martyr was some fucking bullshit.

Poorochondriac on
    edited January 2009
    I just have a hard time accepting "The only way out of abject poverty is to be extremely lucky" as a happy ending.

Ok yeah I dont think thats supposed to be what you're taking away from the movie.

It's a fairy tale doggie

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    edited January 2009
    That's what you got out of the movie? Really?!

Ok.

Bogey on
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
    edited January 2009
    Balefuego wrote: »

Ok yeah I dont think thats supposed to be what you're taking away from the movie.

It's a fairy tale doggie

If it wanted to be a fairy tale, it shouldn't have tried so hard to be a realistic portrayal of poverty in India

The whole thing wanted to have its cake and eat it to. Like City of God as filtered through Cinderella. It just didn't work for me.

Also I can't help but notice that you couldn't respond to my complaint about the douchebag brother getting an undeserved redemption

Edit: Same to you, Bogeyogeyoxenfree

Poorochondriac on
  • Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I really enjoyed this film, it was pretty darn heartwarming. Danny Boyle did a really excellent job with this one.

I'd say it deserves the awards it's getting and likely to get.

Bad-Beat on
    edited January 2009
    You know what's a movie that actually has thematic cohesion?

The Wrestler.

Sure, every single supporting character is underdeveloped. But at least the movie sticks to its guns.

Also, Marissa Tomei is naked a bunch. A claim Slumdog Millionaire cannot make.

Poorochondriac on
    edited January 2009
    Pooro are we having an angry discussion or a nice discussion cause I can't tell.

As for the fairy tale thing - whats wrong with putting it in a realistic setting? I found the juxtaposition of the two very cool. And seriously depsite how well it portrayed poverty in India, its not exactly subtle in its themes of love and destiny.

On the brother, I'd point out that it wasn't the first time that he's committed a selfless act for Jamal. I mean yes he was selfish and abusive and a dickbag, but he was generally protective of his brother as well and clearly cared for him. Maybe destiny gave him the little push he needed to make the choice he did, if he wasn't redeemed in your eyes then it's your choice to make.. I don't think the movie dwells on it or glorifies it to any significant degree.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2009
    the ending to the wrestler made me angry at first
    then it just left me with bittersweet feelings
    and made me appreciate the movie more

Robcham on
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Pooro

the Wrestler was amazing

YaYa on
    edited January 2009
    also if any of you spoil The Wrestler for me I will stone cold hunt you down

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2009
    Pooro are we having an angry discussion or a nice discussion cause I can't tell.

As for the fairy tale thing - whats wrong with putting it in a realistic setting? I found the juxtaposition of the two very cool. And seriously depsite how well it portrayed poverty in India, its not exactly subtle in its themes of love and destiny.

On the brother, I'd point out that it wasn't the first time that he's committed a selfless act for Jamal. I mean yes he was selfish and abusive and a dickbag, but he was generally protective of his brother as well and clearly cared for him. Maybe destiny gave him the little push he needed to make the choice he did, if he wasn't redeemed in your eyes then it's your choice to make.. I don't think the movie dwells on it or glorifies it to any significant degree.

Man I just aint got an ounce of sympathy for a rapist. And any movie that tries to make such a character seem like a halfway respectable person can suck a dick.
    (Aside from Happiness, which at least acknowledged that the dude was a scumbag)

And my issue wasn't with a fairy tale in a realistic setting - Pan's Labyrinth did that very, very well. But it just seems disingenuous to have it all work out, scott free. Its feels like cheating. Maybe I'm just a bitter old sod, but the whole thing left me feeling hollow.

And it is a cordial debate, so don't take anything personal

Poorochondriac on
    edited January 2009
    I saw the Wrestler yesterday, absoluetly loved it. The Wrestler and Slumdog are definately must see movies.

Bad-Beat on
    edited January 2009
    the ending to the wrestler made me angry at first
    then it just left me with bittersweet feelings
    and made me appreciate the movie more

See that is like the exact inverse of Slumdog

I watched it and was like "Oh, that's nice."
    Then thought about it, and went "Wait a goddamn minute. That's kind of bullshit."

And that is why I have a million more degrees of respect for The Wrestler. The ending isn't pat, or expected, but it absolutely fits the themes of the story. And then that credit song kicks in, by The Boss. And fuck me if there's ever been a better credits song in a movie.

To YaYa: Yeah, you know what's up.

Poorochondriac on
    edited January 2009

Man I just aint got an ounce of sympathy for a rapist. And any movie that tries to make such a character seem like a halfway respectable person can suck a dick.
    (Aside from Happiness, which at least acknowledged that the dude was a scumbag)

And my issue wasn't with a fairy tale in a realistic setting - Pan's Labyrinth did that very, very well. But it just seems disingenuous to have it all work out, scott free. Its feels like cheating. Maybe I'm just a bitter old sod, but the whole thing left me feeling hollow.

And it is a cordial debate, so don't take anything personal

Well see I dont think I agree with your defintion of scott-free. I mean yes the ending itself is pretty unconditionally happy, but in this case the point is the journey, not really the destination. In a story like this, you know the endpoint - they end up together. The point is how they get there, and in this movie how they get there is a pretty fucking great ride. (and certainly isn't short on pratfalls, hardships, and sacrifices for either character).

Thats why I dont see it as a cheat.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2009
    the credits of Slumdog were amazing

Robcham on
    edited January 2009

But man

After a story where eyes are gouged out and people are forced into sexual slavery (Munkus signal lit)

Didn't that strike you as a little fucking off?

It's like if 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days had a blooper reel
    (Not to that degree, but dammit, I'm gonna bring some hyperbole to this battle)

Poorochondriac on
    edited January 2009

But man

After a story where eyes are gouged out and people are forced into sexual slavery (Munkus signal lit)

It's just meant to be a homage to Indian films. It is a common thing to have a dance sequence at the end of Indian/Bollywood movies. Boyle did really well as a foreign director to keep close to indian culture and he could be seen as ruining it in some eyes by just having a normal credit sequence.

Bad-Beat on
    edited January 2009
    Bad-Beat wrote: »

But man

It's just meant to be a homage to Indian films. It is a common thing to have a dance sequence at the end of Indian/Bollywood movies. Boyle did really well as a foreign director to keep close to indian culture and he could be seen as ruining it in some eyes by just having a normal credit sequence.

But typical Bollywood films don't try so hard to be realistic portrayals of shitty conditions

Bollywood films are sugarcoated as all getout

Poorochondriac on
    edited January 2009
    it was hilarious and all of what BadBeat said

Robcham on
    edited January 2009
    also Pooro I don't wanna be a nag but it's after the 15th

also how'd your deadline thing work out

YaYa on
    edited January 2009
    Man seein a (granted, super hot) chick in a happy-go-lucky dance number after she has spent her entire life abandoned, neglected, and abused, just rubs me the wrong way

But I guess I am the crazy one, as popular opinion seems to super dissent with me.

Poorochondriac on
    edited January 2009
    YaYa wrote: »
    also Pooro I don't wanna be a nag but it's after the 15th

also how'd your deadline thing work out

My deadline worked out super well, actually.

The pilot is in the front running, and I'll know within a day and a half if I have a writing gig for the next six months.

Nag away.

Poorochondriac on
    edited January 2009
    yeah but

she's in this happy go lucky dance number because she's not in those situations anymore

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2009
    I agree with you about the dance bit

I laughed but for the first twenty seconds I had the most incredulous expression on my face

muttered "goddammit India" under my breath and just went with it

YaYa on
    edited January 2009
    yeah but

she's in this happy go lucky dance number because she's not in those situations anymore

Thank goodness such things never have lasting effects

Poorochondriac on
    edited January 2009
    So she can never be happy at all ever, got it

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2009
    Pooro stop posting and read please

I'll suck your dick

YaYa on
    edited January 2009

Man such things are a process. Healing is possible, obviously, but it takes time.

There is never a magical fix.

And trying to have a fairytale that deals with sexual abuse is just fucked up. I will never feel otherwise.

Poorochondriac on
    edited January 2009
    Poorooooo
    DRAAAAAINAAAAGE

Robcham on
  • FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I saw it, hadn't even heard about it before until some people mentioned it here. It's good.

Fuga on
    edited January 2009

Man such things are a process. Healing is possible, obviously, but it takes time.

There is never a magical fix.

And trying to have a fairytale that deals with sexual abuse is just fucked up. I will never feel otherwise.

Man

you are just coming at this from all the wrong angles. I'm saying that she is happy at the precise moment the film ends. After all the shit they'd been through for the previous 18 years they finally finished that one particular adventure and she can see a possibility for future happiness that she hasnt ever seen before. It's the end of one journey and the start of another.

But this movie ain't about that other journey.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2009
    I like the poop part
    it was so adorable

Robcham on