As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

US Airways plane crashes in the Hudson river

• Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah I'd imagine they thaw them. "dead" is probably the word you're looking for.

geckahn on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I believe only on Mythbusters do "frozen" fowl get shot into engines. :wink:

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Obs wrote: »
    They shoot frozen chickens into plane engines for testing.

I think you are thinking of a myth busters episode and not ....um actual NTSB/FAA testing.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I think you are thinking of a myth busters episode and not ....um actual NTSB/FAA testing.
    And that was bird strike on windshields too, not engines. And on windshields that weren't even rated for bird strike.

Basically that whole episode was loaded with failures.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I shall return when the plane crashes again?

Reported for Awesome

Rent on
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

And that was bird strike on windshields too, not engines. And on windshields that weren't even rated for bird strike.

I frequently find that the case with the show.

They'll "disprove" some myth by completely doing it wrong. and I'll be like, are your typical viewers really this stupid?

geckahn on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    It is named after its unusual projectile: a whole dead standard-sized chicken, as would be used for cooking. This has been found to accurately "simulate" a fairly large bird (as it actually is one).
    *snerk*

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    geckahn wrote: »

I frequently find that the case with the show.

They'll "disprove" some myth by completely doing it wrong. and I'll be like, are your typical viewers really this stupid?
    Yeah, but they're good at owning up to their mistakes. I think they get caught up in the "fun" aspect of it too often. Plus a lot of the "myths" tend to be pretty weird and difficult to bust in the first place.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    Ganluan wrote: »
    That pilot is a badass.

I wonder what will happen when he's on flights in the future.

"Hello everyone, this is Capt. Sullenberger speaking"

The whole cabin just shouts "FUCK YEAH"

Only problem: from now on he will be expected to end every flight with a heroic crash landing.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    Safety StickSafety Stick Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    No, next time he's expected to do a 'split s' and then barrel roll before putting it in the drink.

Dude's set the bar high for the next guy.

Safety Stick on
    5075110276_cc4230e361.jpg
    My other sig sucks as well...
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    No, next time he's expected to do a 'split s' and then barrel roll before putting it in the drink.

Dude's set the bar high for the next guy.
    Next time he'll just go back and pull-start the engines, and continue the flight.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Forar wrote: »
    He should collaborate with the fire marshall from the burning flag story to create the most badass buddy movie ever made.

High5

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Forar wrote: »
    He should collaborate with the fire marshall from the burning flag story to create the most badass buddy movie ever made.

High5

You guys beat me to it, winning this thread.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Supposedly the pilot also has a Genius Level IQ and shit. And apparently everything he ever studied prepared him well for this very event.

Obs on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Does he shit thunder? i bet he does

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Also, landing in Hong Kong is a fucking bitch. Those pilots are crazy.

If you're referring to Kai Tak, which had some kind of hellacious and famous approach procedure, I don't think it's open anymore.

Yeah, it's closed. The main approach had pilots doing a crazy turn right before landing.

Wheeeee

Man that is pretty crazy. From the wiki article it sounds like despite the difficulty of the maneuver, pilots had a sentimental love affair with the uniquely challenging approach.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Supposedly the pilot also has a Genius Level IQ and shit. And apparently everything he ever studied prepared him well for this very event.

Pretty much guaranteed that he'll never have one of those "have I wasted my life?" moments ever again.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Are pilots smarter than doctors?

Obs on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »

Pretty much guaranteed that he'll never have one of those "have I wasted my life?" moments ever again.

Seriously... for the rest of his life he can look back at pretty much everything he did leading up to that day and say to himself "Well I may have regretted that at one point but it led me to be the person I was, flying that plane on that day, when it could have been someone else and the results could have been tragedy".

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    ProPatriaMoriProPatriaMori Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    jeepguy wrote: »

Seriously... for the rest of his life he can look back at pretty much everything he did leading up to that day and say to himself "Well I may have regretted that at one point but it led me to be the person I was, flying that plane on that day, when it could have been someone else and the results could have been tragedy".

It would be really interesting to hear, in a few years, how he does think of it.

For some reason I imagine he'd say something like "well, I landed the plane." Like he just did what he was supposed to do.

ProPatriaMori on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

It would be really interesting to hear, in a few years, how he does think of it.

For some reason I imagine he'd say something like "well, I landed the plane." Like he just did what he was supposed to do.

Well the man is pretty much the hero of the hour for the nation, so it's natural to unconsciously ascribe virtues to him that he hasn't displayed (not to say that he doesn't possess them), such as humility.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    ProPatriaMoriProPatriaMori Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Well the man is pretty much the hero of the hour for the nation, so it's natural to unconsciously ascribe virtues to him that he hasn't displayed (not to say that he doesn't possess them), such as humility.

Actually, you know what? The man's a pilot. I now doubt humility is one of his traits.

ProPatriaMori on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Actually, you know what? The man's a pilot. I now doubt humility is one of his traits.

An USAF pilot at that. ;-)

I'm sure at the very least that he has excellent self-esteem.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

An USAF pilot at that. ;-)

I'm sure at the very least that he has excellent self-esteem.

Heck, at this point he's earned the right to be cocky.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Also, landing in Hong Kong is a fucking bitch. Those pilots are crazy.

If you're referring to Kai Tak, which had some kind of hellacious and famous approach procedure, I don't think it's open anymore.

Yeah, it's closed. The main approach had pilots doing a crazy turn right before landing.

Man, that shit's crazier than the approach the Air Force used to get into Kirkuk...and that was to dodge enemy fire.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I flicked through USA Today's article on this at breakfast today. Apparently it's only the fourth time someone's successfully pulled off a water landing with a modern plane.

Also:

batplane.jpg

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Well I'm stuck at the Lansing airport right now working a flight that shouldn't be here. MD 83 made it to about 1000ft and something happened to one of the engines. It's on the ground now and they didn't see any feathers, so they don't think it was a birdstrike. Some of the blades are a little bent but no feathers and they got de-iced so the mechanics are scratching their heads. Hopefully we didn't miss a loose screw when we did the walk around.

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    What I find funny is that at the moment there's talk of replacing Air Force One. Supposedly the US gov is pissed off with Boeing for some reason so have also requested a tender from Airbus, how funny would it be for Airbus to include a little ditty in the tender along the lines of "unlike Boeing jets ours don't break up on crash landing".

Of course, like all national prestige projects the US gov will never actually choose Airbus in a million years. I think they're doing it to piss off and humiliate Boeing a little.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    What I find funny is that at the moment there's talk of replacing Air Force One. Supposedly the US gov is pissed off with Boeing for some reason so have also requested a tender from Airbus, how funny would it be for Airbus to include a little ditty in the tender along the lines of "unlike Boeing jets ours don't break up on crash landing".

Of course, like all national prestige projects the US gov will never actually choose Airbus in a million years. I think they're doing it to piss off and humiliate Boeing a little.
    Actually, they did choose Airbus to replace the aging fleet of airborne tankers for the Air Force. Then Boeing pitched a 4 year old girl's fit over losing the bidding process, and sued to get the contract.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So not even one person got this all on film? Really?

Or are they still shopping the video around to the news networks?

CNN has the video of the crash in the Hudson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9CZivaR0tU

Dalboz on
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's nice to see a story that turned out positive. Everyone's alive, the pilot is a hero and it's just nice to get some good news on CNN once in a while.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    oh wait turns out the pilot used to molest girls and then beat them up

dangit!

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    oh wait turns out the pilot used to molest girls and then beat them up

dangit!

Some puppies in the cargo hold also died.

Obs on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    GrimReaper wrote: »

Actually, they did choose Airbus to replace the aging fleet of airborne tankers for the Air Force. Then Boeing pitched a 4 year old girl's fit over losing the bidding process, and sued to get the contract.

Air tankers is one thing, but the plane to carry the president of the USA? It is very much a national prestige thing, I don't see them ever choosing Airbus. The only way I see them choosing Airbus is if all American plane makers suddenly went bankrupt and stopped making those types of planes.

Hell, googling up the tanker thing it looks like it has gone down a shit storm. If they choose Airbus for air force one I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bloody revolution.

Oh, looking up that Airbus tanker thing is quite interesting. Looks like it isn't yet set in stone according to wikipedia:
    On June 18, 2008, the United States Government Accountability Office sustained a protest by The Boeing Company on the award of the contract to Northrop Grumman and EADS.[11] The status of the KC-45A is in doubt and the Air Force may have to rebid the contract, potentially reversing their earlier decision.[12]

On 10 September 2008, bidding was canceled. A new competition between the KC-45 and KC-767 (or possibly the KC-777, a 777 derivative which had been considered previously) will be opened sometime in 2009.[13]

Northrop Grummen renamed the A330 the KC-45. (to help explain the above)

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Apart from the wing debris and the torn engine it looks completely undamaged, gotta say I'd fly with Sullenberger anytime.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    Aridhol wrote: »
    It's nice to see a story that turned out positive. Everyone's alive, God is a hero and it's just nice to get some good news on CNN once in a while.

Fix'd that for you. As we all know, the pilot had nothing to do with the safe landing of that plane; it was God's doing.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    Willy-Bob GracchusWilly-Bob Gracchus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's nice to see a story that turned out positive. Everyone's alive, God is a hero and it's just nice to get some good news on CNN once in a while.

Fix'd that for you. As we all know, the pilot had nothing to do with the safe landing of that plane; it was God's doing.

edit - whoops, got me too, only watched half of it.

Willy-Bob Gracchus on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

That video is beyond satire.
    :edit: Dammit, wasn't listening to the beginning where he says "Hello, I'm Edward Current." It is satire.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png