As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How loose is Walmarts return policy? SOLVED, pretty much

glithertglithert Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Gift (hdtv), broken, no receipt, bought more than 3 months ago at a Walmart. I always hear people say their return policy is extremely loose, but just how loose? Would they take it?

glithert on

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Was it bought at a wal-mart?

How is it broken?

Buttcleft on
  • EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I think it's pretty damned loose, but I think it revolves around you having the receipt.

Endomatic on
  • glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Was it bought at a wal-mart?

How is it broken?

Yes; bunch of stuck pixels in a vertical line. Internet says I can't fix it like you can with a normal stuck pixel.

Their website says no receipt necessary.

glithert on
  • CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If I remember right Walmart has a 30 day return policy with a receipt. Without a receipt the only thing they will do is exchange it for the exact same thing. If you have the receipt you should be able to get if fixed by the manufacturer, but sometimes they only have a 90 day warranty.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You can return things without a receipt but they require you to give them your drivers liscense number. They keep track of that at all their different stores and if you return goods often they will find out and prevent that drivers license number from doing it again.

Jigrah on
  • CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's so loose that I use to trade in the video games I got for free (mostly free) off of the Microsoft Reward Zone program. Yeah, they really don't care 99% of the time.

Crayon on
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If Walmart carries the product, they'll often accept a return without a receipt. Whenever I get an unwanted Christmas gift with no receipt, I take it to Walmart.

With an opened TV, if you're lucky, you should be able to exchange it for the same item, if they stock it.

Edit: Walmart's Return Policy:
    Q: Do you accept RETURNS without a receipt?

A: Wal-Mart, for several years, has accepted returns without a receipt, even though many of our competitors require receipts for all returns. Wal-Mart gives customers the option of a cash refund (if the purchase was under $25), a shopping card for the amount of the purchase (if it was over $25), a credit to the customer's credit card or an even exchange for the product. Also, as applicable, we follow any manufacturer’s warranties.

Hedgethorn on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I once saw someone return a half-drank container of juice to Wal-mart. They will take back shit you MADE.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited January 2009
    All this bodes well.

glithert on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Wal Mart does not care. I have returned three copies of Madden to them just this week. No receipt at all. One guy in front of me in line brought in an empty gift card claiming it had $100 on it, they put $100 on it for him. The lady behind him returned a can of beans.

Fizban140 on
  • Hobbit0815Hobbit0815 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Usually Wal-mart is the shit at returns. We've returned games, food (don't recommend, they just end up throwing it away, unless you really need your money back), all kinds of shit, Receipt or no receipt. We once brought back a Cosco playpen that got damaged (we didn't have a receipt) and said it came that way. Zippo. New Cosco playpen. We've also returned the same game 3 times within a month because actually each time there was something wrong with the case (broken) or the game (scratched because of broken holder).

Over here they usually give us the amount back on a wal-mart gift card, which is fine, cause we shop there anyway.

Hobbit0815 on
  • blakfeldblakfeld Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Fun fact. Last Halloween I had a buddy who decided to get a costume on October 31st, at like 9 o clock. So he gets to the Walmart, and all thats left is a child's princess outfit. He decides it'll get a laugh, and its 12 bucks, so he buys it and wears it to the party. Said friend gets plastered, and ends up tearing the dress half off. So he essentially wears around a tube top and his boxer shorts for the rest of the evening. Two days later returns the top half for his 12 bucks. True story.

I think you'll be fine.

blakfeld on
  • ApexMirageApexMirage Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I realise the store takes back just about anything, but what about the employees? The stories they must hear...

Hi, I'm returning this toaster because my cat put mustard in it. o_OD:

ApexMirage on
    I'd love to be the one disappoint you when I don't fall down
  • wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    A year or two back, my parents witnessed a woman hauling a 1980s-era wood-paneled console television up to the customer service desk in a Venture cart. She evidently explained that she had bought it "last month", but had decided she wanted one with a remote control and a DVD player built in. A few managers were called down, and after some deliberation, they decided that they could only exchange it for one of the basic 19" models, but after some haggling, she evidently did get a TV/DVD combo.

One of the service reps apparently said later to my obviously-bemused parents, "she does this all the time."

wasted pixels on
  • DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    A buddy of mine bought Everquest 2 at Wal-Mart one time. When he put the CD key in though, it didn't work. He returned the game and got straight cash.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My brother's friend returned an N64 to Wal-Mart. It had not been purchased at Wal-Mart, and very obviously had grape juice spilled all over it.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    There should be a "Report Entire Thread for Awesomeness" button.

And here I thought it was just my local Wal-Mart that would take back a snapped pair of Sony headphones that they didn't carry.

Tam on
    edited January 2009
    Last year I saw a guy return one of those big honkin packs of AA batteries [like, 24pack or something, it was huge ], with only 4 batteries left in it.

Claiming they died to fast, they gave him a brand new pack.

Buttcleft on
    edited January 2009
    Well, that was easy.
    And they guy that got the tv from the storeroom looked like
    ScaryMovie25.jpg

glithert on
  • LailLail Surrey, B.C.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My dad went in once and told them that the cashier short changed him $x.xx a couple days ago and they gave him the money.

Lail on
  • SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I didn't realize the system was so easily abusable there, holy crap.

Sceptre on
  • TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Holy crap, I had no idea!
    Guess I'll take my half-working speakers I got there at the end of summer back then!
    Thank you Wal Mart. You may be soul-sucking, but hot damn!

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • Zombie NirvanaZombie Nirvana Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I once returned rotten steaks to Wal-Mart.

Zombie Nirvana on
  • ShadowrunnerShadowrunner Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    A few years ago my wife and I were going camping with some friends, but realized that we didn't have any camping equipment. So we head off to Wal-Mart and buy a whole set of gear; tent, folding chairs, and a cheap portable stove. At the end of the trip we take all the gear back to Wal-Mart (everything is completely caked in dirt and mud) and return it for a full refund. The guy at the register is even nice enough to ask if we enjoyed our trip...

Shadowrunner on
    edited January 2009
    A few years ago my wife and I were going camping with some friends, but realized that we didn't have any camping equipment. So we head off to Wal-Mart and buy a whole set of gear; tent, folding chairs, and a cheap portable stove. At the end of the trip we take all the gear back to Wal-Mart (everything is completely caked in dirt and mud) and return it for a full refund. The guy at the register is even nice enough to ask if we enjoyed our trip...

This is why most places no longer have the " Customer is always right " attitude.

Right here ladies and gentlemen.

Buttcleft on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    I tried to return a pair of underwear that I bought and they ended up being too small (damn spandex) and they would not take them. I then was given the official list of items that Wal Mart would not take back under any circumstances: Underwear (Bras, boxer, briefs, etc), and Breast Milk Pumps.

Fizban140 on
    edited January 2009
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    I tried to return a pair of underwear that I bought and they ended up being too small (damn spandex) and they would not take them. I then was given the official list of items that Wal Mart would not take back under any circumstances: Underwear (Bras, boxer, briefs, etc), and Breast Milk Pumps.

I sense a theme... were jock straps and long tapered candles on there too?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • blakfeldblakfeld Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sentry wrote: »
    Fizban140 wrote: »

I sense a theme... were jock straps and long tapered candles on there too?

Congrats sir, you just made me cringe at the internet

blakfeld on
    edited January 2009
    woohoo!! I Win!

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ApexMirage wrote: »
    I realise the store takes back just about anything, but what about the employees? The stories they must hear...

Hi, I'm returning this toaster because my cat put mustard in it. o_OD:

Ex-Walmart employee here and oh the stories I could tell. I don't know what happened to it but I kept a book of all the stupidity that I encountered from everyone; I affectionately named it "The Walmart War Journal".

I once saw someone return a half used bottle of suntan lotion and was covered in brown gunk (thank God I didn't work returns because I still don't know what that brown stuff was D:).

All the managers have 2 things pounded in their heads while they are in their months long training:
    1. The customer is always right.
    2. The customer should leave happy.
    While the average walmart associate can't stand the aforementioned training items the managers will implement them whenever possible.

OP, with your TV odds are the person at the service desk won't be able to return it. They will probably immediately call for a manager and then the manager will take it from there. So don't freak out when you wheel your tv in on a shopping cart and at the first sight they are paging management.

brandotheninjamaster on
    edited January 2009
    Dudes, it'd done. Over. I returned it. I think this thread is supposed to die now.

glithert on
  • RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm shocked they let you. You really dodged a bullet because they normally make you file a warranty claim with big ticket items with no receipt.

Raggaholic on
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    well its all in how they word things now adays. they use the phrase ..if you are not satisfied in anyway... which is supremely open ended. the camping gear doesn't surprise me, i wasn't satisfied with my use of this camping stuff, so i am returning it depsite it being used

i usually return video game there with out a receipt. the last one was one i actually had a receipt for but it was from toysrus and the closest one to me here is 30 minutes away and i didn't feel like riving out there

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I equate walmart's return policy to the saying "The squeaky wheel gets the oil". Usually when someone tries to return something and the service desk people say "sorry sir we can't take that back" its left at that, but when someone responds with "may I please talk to a manager" its pretty much a done deal.

Heres a gem of a story

One day while working in working electronics a customer comes back to my department literally screaming about how she couldn't return her PS2 (this was a while ago; 03 I think). She turns her attention directly at me zeroing in on my blue vest like a heat seeking missile and began to yell at me for her troubles. I told her that there was nothing that I can do except to call a manager.

The lady then requests to see a manager (that was putting it nicely). The manager comes back and looks at the PS2 and I verify everything is in the box that is supposed to be there. Then the lady hands us her receipt which was dated the day before. The PS2 was caked in dust and the serial numbers didn't match so the manager said "I'm sorry mam, but this isn't the PS2 that you bought yesterday so you can't take this back."

The lady once again begins to scream and then pulls out her phone and dials 911, I'll repeat that: She dialed 911 because she couldn't return a PS2. About 10 minutes later the police arrive and tells walmart to take the PS2 back. After getting cash for her PS2 she made a couple "in you face comments" and as she was walking out the police officer said "Lady, you really need to get a life."

After dealing with situations like this for 2 1/2 years it takes a lot to surprise me when it comes to walmart.

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    At Asda (a UK supermarket owned by Walmart), they have the same returns policy. When I was a student I bought a microwave from them, used it for nine months, and returned it for a full refund.

Jake! on
  • ApexMirageApexMirage Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    There should be a contest to see what the most ridiculous thing you can return to walmart is, this is just crazy.

ApexMirage on
    I'd love to be the one disappoint you when I don't fall down
This discussion has been closed.