As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

THE TOURNAMENT BEGINS (RULES, BITCHING)

1234568»

• Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    6937_400x600copy.jpg

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Ultron deserved to win.

Furu on
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Im gonna have to go with Karma on this one. It felt like this thing kinda limped to the finish line. It was a good time though.

Next time the tournament should not be ran by one of its own contestants.

Marathon on
  • robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Marathon wrote:
    You honestly think that mattered, as if Doom was an actual person and tournament organizer was somehow a position that shouldn't be granted to someone with a conflict of interest?

My only recommendation for the next tournament is, like I said, that nobody who could conceivably beat Superman or give him a long-lasting battle be placed in the same tourney as those who'd be splattered by the guy.

robosagogo on
  • The LuggageThe Luggage Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Doom is actually Batman in disguise.

The Luggage on
    Interminable
    edited February 2007
    robosagogo wrote:
    Marathon wrote:
    You honestly think that mattered, as if Doom was an actual person and tournament organizer was somehow a position that shouldn't be granted to someone with a conflict of interest?

My only recommendation for the next tournament is, like I said, that nobody who could conceivably beat Superman or give him a long-lasting battle be placed in the same tourney as those who'd be splattered by the guy.

Well if you look at the path Doom took to victory he really didn't face any strong opposition until the end (except Bizzaro who should have totally killed him). And the brackets were all set up by him. So do I think that had a little to do with it, yeah. But you are right, that is not the sole reason why he won.

How about instad of just another straight up tournament we have sort of a super hero/villan olympics. Who is fastest? strongest? can save the most women and children from a burning building?

Marathon on
  • IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    If you expected more than people voting for their favorites all the way through, you expected too much. It's like voting for homecoming court in high school; nobody is weighing anyone's merits. It was a fun tournament if you didn't take it too seriously.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2007
    Marathon wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    Marathon wrote:

Well if you look at the path Doom took to victory he really didn't face any strong opposition until the end (except Bizzaro who should have totally killed him). And the brackets were all set up by him. So do I think that had a little to do with it, yeah. But you are right, that is not the sole reason why he won.

You're still treating Doom the forum organizer like he was also Doom the comic book character these discussions were based around.

If the forum poster who has been posting under the Doom name had a bias towards Doom, then maybe it was evidenced by the way characters were placed in the brackets. However, the fact that the name he was posting under happened to also be a strong competitor within a contest proves nothing.

And if "Doom" the forumer had a bias towards Doom the character, the bias would not be remedied by posting under the name Hypno Hustler so that that character was seen as the tournament organizer.

robosagogo on
    edited February 2007
    Iroh wrote:
    If you expected more than people voting for their favorites all the way through, you expected too much. It's like voting for homecoming court in high school; nobody is weighing anyone's merits. It was a fun tournament if you didn't take it too seriously.
    Except for moments where people actually stated they were voting against a personal favorite because they were somehow "honor bound" or, perhaps, reluctant to turn what they actually saw as a series of legitimate debates into a simple popularity contest even though some people were clearly treating it that way already.

robosagogo on
    edited February 2007
    robosagogo wrote:
    Iroh wrote:
    Except for moments where people actually stated they were voting against a personal favorite because they were somehow "honor bound" or, perhaps, reluctant to turn what they actually saw as a series of legitimate debates into a simple popularity contest even though some people were clearly treating it that way already.

The key words there are "Except for...." That's exactly it, those who chose to vote that way, including myself, are the exception, not the rule. I didn't expect anything other than that to occur, and neither should have you or anyone else. It was purely for fun, so I don't think there is any need to read into it this much at all.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2007
    Iroh wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    Iroh wrote:

The key words there are "Except for...." That's exactly it, those who chose to vote that way, including myself, are the exception, not the rule. I didn't expect anything other than that to occur, and neither should have you or anyone else. It was purely for fun, so I don't think there is any need to read into it this much at all.

Did you just explain my own post to me, or suggest that my use of a qualifier was anything less than deliberate?

robosagogo on
  • Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Iroh wrote:

Because Nimrod is much more popular than Zoom.

Diablo Fett on
    edited February 2007
    Iroh wrote:

Speedsters aren't popular choices for these tournaments because they're deemed too powerful.

robosagogo on
    edited February 2007
    robosagogo wrote:
    Iroh wrote:

Speedsters aren't popular choices for these tournaments because they're deemed too powerful.
    But would you honestly say that Nimrod has a more powerful following than Zoom? I remember the fight and it seemed most people were voting for Nimrod because they didn't want a near impossible to hit speedster in the tournament. It was more a strategical knockout on our part than a fan favorite thing.

Diablo Fett on
    edited February 2007
    robosagogo wrote:
    Iroh wrote:

But would you honestly say that Nimrod has a more powerful following than Zoom? I remember the fight and it seemed most people were voting for Nimrod because they didn't want a near impossible to hit speedster in the tournament. It was more a strategical knockout on our part than a fan favorite thing.
    And why would you employ a strategic knockout if not to protect other, more popular characters? If this was purely a matter of preventing an all-powerful character from blazing straight to victory and resulting in a predictable, underwhelming conclusion, then the same people who voted for Nimrod would have voted against Doom since he has been seen from the start as the likeliest to win.

Doom never fell victim to a strategic knockout because of popularity that Zoom lacked.

robosagogo on
    edited February 2007
    robosagogo wrote:
    Iroh wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    Iroh wrote:

Did you just explain my own post to me, or suggest that my use of a qualifier was anything less than deliberate?

Your posts make it seem like you can't get over the idea that this was all for fun, and that it didn't really require some kind of objective fairness. I could very well be taking it for something other than you meant, though.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2007
    Iroh wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    Iroh wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    Iroh wrote:

Your posts make it seem like you can't get over the idea that this was all for fun, and that it didn't really require some kind of objective fairness. I could very well be taking it for something other than you meant, though.
    I was pointing out that not everybody treated the tournament that way at all times. You missed the other key word, which was "moments", and was used to suggest that I wasn't describing the norm but rather exceptions (hence "Except for") to the more common approach.

Yeah, you did misinterpret my post.

robosagogo on
    edited February 2007
    robosagogo wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    Iroh wrote:

And why would you employ a strategic knockout if not to protect other, more popular characters? If this was purely a matter of preventing an all-powerful character from blazing straight to victory and resulting in a predictable, underwhelming conclusion, then the same people who voted for Nimrod would have voted against Doom since he has been seen from the start as the likeliest to win.

Doom never fell victim to a strategic knockout because of popularity that Zoom lacked.
    I will admit that there certainly were favorite votes. How else could Mystique have beaten Electro? But certain times alot of people went against what was expected. Look at the first fight in the tournament: Joker vs. Typhoid Mary. I, and i'm sure many others, were stunned when Mary was voted the winner. Same goes for Mandarin vs. Doomsday. Sometimes the choices made more sense than just "I like him more so he wins."

Diablo Fett on
    edited February 2007
    People like Doomsday?

I'm not sure how to reconcile Mystique beating Electro with Joker beating Typhoid Mary unless you bring the characters' gender into account or assume that everyone likes to piss off Spectre-X.

robosagogo on
    edited February 2007
    I was not shocked when Mary beat Joker, because she is more powerful and rightfully won the fight.

Marathon on
    edited February 2007
    robosagogo wrote:
    People like Doomsday?

I'm not sure how to reconcile Mystique beating Electro with Joker beating Typhoid Mary unless you bring the characters' gender into account or assume that everyone likes to piss off Spectre-X.
    I'm not saying that Joker should have won the fight. Quite the opposite, in fact. Mary deserved the win, but i was still shocked when one of the most popular DC villains lost to a second-rate Marvel bitch. I'm using that fight as an example of one that was voted with statistics in mind, and not just popularity, whereas the Mystique vs. Electro fight was almost entirely "fan favorite" votes.

And while Doomsday may not be well liked, he's almost certainly more well-known than Mandarin. What has Mandarin done? Built a robot that never dies and irritated Iron Man through the years. Doomsday killed Superman. Mother Fucking Superman. Not exactly an easy feat to accomplish, and certainly one that puts you into the limelight for a while.

Diablo Fett on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Furu wrote:
    Ultron deserved to win.
    cd_ultron.jpg
    "WHAT THE FUCK, YOU FAGGOTS!

GOD I AM NEVER COMING BACK TO THE MARVEL UNIVERSE. FUCK YOU GUYS!"

The Muffin Man on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    ultron's just a robot, there were a bunch of people that could kick his ass in the tournament.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    That's the most awesome picture of Ultron I have ever seen

Romero Zombie on
    steam_sig.png
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

He's a busty one.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
    edited February 2007
    Bad Karma wrote:

He's a busty one.

The Thor statue on that page is fantastic.

Marathon on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Furu wrote:
    Ultron deserved to win.
    cd_ultron.jpg
    "WHAT THE FUCK, YOU FAGGOTS!

GOD I AM NEVER COMING BACK TO THE MARVEL UNIVERSE. FUCK YOU GUYS!"

More like:

"*SOB* I AM GETTING A SEX CHANGE!"

DarkPrimus on
  • CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    At least there is no way that Doom can beat Thor, no fucking way.

Crayon on
  • CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I would have pegged Doom to lose against Bizarro, Ultron, or Loki.

Of course, if I had my way, Mirror Master would have busted Loki in Round One. So take that as you will.

Charmy on
    I have a twitter.
    edited February 2007
    Crayon wrote:
    Hasn't Doom screwed the Avengers on multiple occasions?

robosagogo on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    robosagogo wrote:
    People like Doomsday?

When I couldn't decide between two contestants, I found that "What would annoy Spectre-X the most?" to be an excellent tie-breaker.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    robosagogo wrote:
    Crayon wrote:
    Hasn't Doom screwed the Avengers on multiple occasions?

Does "Screw" mean the same as "Take on some of the strongest heroes and not piss them off, but actually stand up to them and hold his own"?

The Muffin Man on
    edited February 2007
    How about a tournament where we nominate the worst people we can think of and the loser of each battle moves on to a final battle to determine the most incompetent hero or villain of all?

Yay Trapster!

robosagogo on
  • TehChowdTehChowd Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    robosagogo wrote: »
    How about a tournament where we nominate the worst people we can think of and the loser of each battle moves on to a final battle to determine the most incompetent hero or villain of all?

Seriously, I hope someone organizes something. It doesn't necessarily have to be a "Biggest loser" tournament, but man, my life is definitely less interesting and nerdy without having imaginary super-powered competions to ponder. The trouble is that there aren't a lot of options left. I've been trying to think of something, but I'm just not . . . smart. I was thinking about maybe some kind of team competion, either with real teams (x-men) or made up ones ("the underappreciated," a team of Zoom, Despero, Electro, and Ras a Ghul).

TehChowd on
  • Captain CanuckCaptain Canuck Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    the saint of killers won everyone shut up

Captain Canuck on
    shadeodare_sig.png