As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

NCSoft sued, Worlds.com owns all MMOs

13»

• s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Bigity wrote: »
    Oh I completely agree with what was said in the article. However, it's not the fault of East Texans. If not here, it would be in one of the thousands of other areas in the country where people are not as educated or interested in technology. Ranchers and farmers don't give a rat's ass about some idea of bullshit patents or nebulous (to them) concepts of code ownership or intellectual property rights.

They just want the trial to end so they can go back to work.

I think they should make the patent office partially responsible for times like this. If you think technology patents are bad, so some reading on stuff like genetics or biotechnology. Or hell, just go read Next by Crichton.

I've get plenty of actual case law to read without having to resort to Crichton's quasi-legal melodrama. :P

The issue with the Eastern District of Texas is that it's not replicated in other parts of the country. It's sort of the perfect storm of uneducated juries, xenophobia, and judges with experience handling patent cases. That doesn't exist anywhere else in the country right now.

s3rial one on
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    So, assuming the purpose for this is to bowl over an easy target then gun for the big fish wouldn't it make sense for bigger MMO companies like Blizzard to financially back NCSoft's defence, provide 'independent' expert witnesses from their own stables etc.?

At least having representatives from American companies also taking the witness box to say 'this is bullshit and will fuck us over as much as Korea' would help with the issue of the jury swinging in favour of US companies over foreign.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I just took out a patent for sarcasm, hyperbole, and misguided angst. Most of the PA formers should be receiving court summons from my lawyer in the next few days.
    So, assuming the purpose for this is to bowl over an easy target then gun for the big fish wouldn't it make sense for bigger MMO companies like Blizzard to financially back NCSoft's defence, provide 'independent' expert witnesses from their own stables etc.?

At least having representatives from American companies also taking the witness box to say 'this is bullshit and will fuck us over as much as Korea' would help with the issue of the jury swinging in favour of US companies over foreign.

Would Blizz's fleet of lawyers aggro like a pack of Murlocs?

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    I just took out a patent for sarcasm, hyperbole, and misguided angst. Most of the PA formers should be receiving court summons from my lawyer in the next few days.

Worlds.com Lawyer: "Your Honor, we would like to begin by-"

Blizzard Lawyer: "mrr-LRRRGHHRHRHRRRLLLRRRGGHLLLLL!!!!! *chomp*"

Worlds.com Lawyer: "GYAAAAAAA!!!!"

citizen059 on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Fuck there's 8 more coming from the hallway, what the fuck, FUCK.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    citizen059 wrote: »

If I could draw I'd have to illustrate that in some sort of comic.

Tomanta on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If I ever have a dispute over some cattle I'll be sure to file it somewhere in NYC or Silicon Valley.

Law be crazy, man!

Aldo on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Tomanta wrote: »
    citizen059 wrote: »

If I could draw I'd have to illustrate that in some sort of comic.

Can you see it? It looks so beautiful in my mind.

citizen059 on
  • Babel_MatrixBabel_Matrix Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    bowen wrote: »
    Fuck there's 8 more coming from the hallway, what the fuck, FUCK.

At least we still have chicken.

But pertaining to preliminary injunctions, is the functional operation of a server, (i.e. one running the game world,) considered a viable target? It isn't neccesarily manufactured or updated, (at least not constantly, and can usually function without updates,) or is its overall status as a product enough to have the servers shut down by a P.I.?

Babel_Matrix on
    mosesisOP.jpg
    Pharaohs need to L2P.
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    Monsty wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Reminds me of the doubly linked list patent that was filed in like 2002 or something that was finally issued in 2006.

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT7028023
    What a fucking joke. Shit like this gets me fired up.

Keep it together, Monsty. You can do this!

Drink more pop!

(But seriously, how the fuck can you patent a double linked list??)

Yeah, and it looks like lots of other common data structures have been patented, too.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Has anything new come of this?

Henroid on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    The grinding wheel of the judicial system is slow. Hell, look how long it took for the courts to tell SCOG they were full of shit, and they are appealing.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yea, I expect this thread to get necro'd in about 4 months when the settlement/dismissal comes out.

Scooter on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    Scooter wrote: »
    Yea, I expect this thread to get necro'd in about 4 months when the settlement/dismissal comes out.

More like in 4 months when discovery finishes.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    There is no way this is ever going to go to trial. It will settle out or just be dropped entirely.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • SkySky Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The thing to remember is that the U.S. Patent office became the model that all other patent offices around the world followed.

Sky on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    robothero wrote: »
    worlds.com to become MMO monopoly: Blizzard, EA, NCSoft admit defeat.
    I WANT them to go after Blizzard. Problem is if they win, it'd set precedent so we'll never see them try unless they can't lose.

But it'd be funny.
    "WE'RE SUING YOU!"
    "*snaps fingers. Team of lawyers appears*"
    "Fffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu"
    Can you see it? It looks so beautiful in my mind.
    Oh god.
    A bunch of murlocs, wearing tiny suits, their little eyes glaring off in two different directions.
    Oh man.

The Muffin Man on
  • Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh god.
    A bunch of murlocs, wearing tiny suits, their little eyes glaring off in two different directions.
    Oh man.

I'd actually pay money to see that. Of course, I'd probably die about 30 minutes later, after I suffocate to death from laughing so hard.

Operative21 on
  • s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sky wrote: »
    The thing to remember is that the U.S. Patent office became the model that all other patent offices around the world followed.

Insofar in that most of the rest of the industrialized world has some sort of centralized patent administration? Yes.

The singular difference of the European Patent Office (for example) using a compulsory licensing scheme cuts down on this sort of idiocy by orders of magnitude. The EPO also uses an absolute novelty standard (where as the US, for all its inane babble about rewarding the inventor, is effectively a system that rewards whoever files the damned patent first) meaning that it's harder to get a patent in the EPO, there are fewer patents issued, and there's less to litigate. It also takes the wind out of the sails of the litigation, as the stakes aren't so high.

I don't profess to be intimately familiar with the EPO's intricacies, but it is fundamentally a more sound and reasonable system than what we have in the US.

s3rial one on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Can I patent the concept of language? Cause I totally call dibs!

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I just filed a patent on written communication. You guys are fucked.

Henroid on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2009
    Shit, I filed a patent for carbon-based life.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2009
    I patented time, so you can all have fun existing.

A duck! on
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Unless someone beats me to it, I am going to patent the patenting process.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    MuddBudd wrote: »

OH SNAP!

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2009
    MuddBudd wrote: »

It was already mentioned, but their patent might not have been approved yet!

A duck! on