As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Dual-Boxing for Fun, Triple XP, and Profit: A How-To Guide

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2008
    So. Let's see how this dualboxing thingamabob works. Report coming up.

Echo on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2008
    Got the basics running. This'll take some getting used to.

Echo on
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm running a Paladin/Druid combo team for my RAF leveling madness. I'd like to be able to put togehter a Macro for buffing so I don't have to spend a minute renewing buffs on everyone every ten minutes when the blessings/Thorns wears off and sometimes Mark of the Wild/Righteous Fury as well.

So how would I go about macroing that? Basically something that says
    1. Check if Paladin has Thorns, if not, cast that on him
    2. Check if Druid has Thorns, if not cas that on him
    3. Check if Paladin has Blessing of Sanctuary, if not...

and so on.

Also, if anyone needs Octopus, I have an older version I can share if it's hard to come by nowadays.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You can't check buffs in a macro.

khain on
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    khain wrote: »
    You can't check buffs in a macro.

Darn

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • magikmushrmmagikmushrm Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I use keyclone and am very happy with it

low overhead easy to use UI

yeah yeah its paid software but shit, you get what you pay for
    I've had zero issues using it in Vista x64 and xp 32bit

ran 5 deathknights for a while

5 mage team was fun, I found mage mage lock druid priest to be a pretty good setup as well
    5shaman was just kinda bleh, boring....too easy almost

biggest key to getting it all working was getting the Do Not Pass keys setup right and configuring keybindings and macros for each client. I ended up duplicating the client as well to run multiple copies and keep the video config different between

I run the master copy at 1680x1050 and all the clones run at 800x600 so I can fit four on a monitor (almost), i'll usually shove one over to the 19inch lcd off the the side if the 2 22s are filled/laggy

magikmushrm on
  • DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My RAF is about to run out... I think my sister and I have completely forgotten what it's like to play without it D:

Duki on
  • Dark HelmetDark Helmet Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So I am really thinking about giving this a whirl.

I will have access to a 3rd account. I will have my 2 accounts I will be boxing, plus my girlfriend's account to do runs through dungeons. Even if my first generation of RAF toons can't receive free levels, they will sure be able to pass on more levels to the lower levels I make. I wonder how quickly I could binge out level 60s? I read earlier in this thread of a possible nerf to eliminate the exp bonus for RAF twins - if a 3rd account using a high level runs them through? Has this happened?

I'm debating on what toons to pair up now. Druid/Priest? Rogue/Warlock?

I am trying to avoid re-doing classes I have already made to the high levels. Why have two level 80 warriors?

Dark Helmet on
    warrioricon4.pngrogueicon1.pngpaladinicon1.pnghuntericon2.png

And my poor Death Knight that couldn't afford an icon.
  • GumhovaGumhova Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I tried looking around for this but couldn't find the answer anywhere.

You know that trick where you just summon the linked account while the referrer turns in quests, does that still work?

I was just trying and I got jack.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Gumhova on
    misterdigger.png
    edited December 2008
    Technically it should do, if you're next to each other.

But are you still within the level range? If you're more than three levels above the recruited character, then you won't get triple exp. It would be pretty easy to totally outstrip the recruited character level-wise, if you're the only one handing in quests.

Duki on
  • Dark HelmetDark Helmet Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Someone also mentioned being able to transfer toons between accounts so long as you are the owner of both accounts? I am wondering if I could grind out a lot of toons with recruit-a-friend, transfer the toons to my main account, and sink the recruit account once I am done.

So many things to muse on! I won't be doing this in the near future, I need to get my Pally, Hunter, and DK to 80. But once that is done, oh man look out.

Dark Helmet on
    warrioricon4.pngrogueicon1.pngpaladinicon1.pnghuntericon2.png

And my poor Death Knight that couldn't afford an icon.
  • PjstelfordPjstelford Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Few questions of clarification.

Going to be playing again over the break. Girlfriend would like to join. Friend would like to use a Scroll of Resurrection so he gets a free month. So can I...

1.) Have friend SoR me, giving him the free month?
    2.) Then invite the gf during the 10 days of SoR time?
    3.) Play with gf for 3x XP?
    4.) Get 1 month when her account is paid up?
    5.) Get the mount when her 3 months is paid?

Or does something go horribly wrong between steps 1 and 2?

Pjstelford on
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    1) He only gets a free month if you pay for a month

5) She only needs to pay for 2 months for you to get the mount.

I think that's all that's wrong with that.

Opty on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You can only resurrect or invite a friend.

I had the same choice when I came back into the game, and picked the more expensive, but more awesome, three 3xp. I had one sixty on the old account.

I have three now. A month and a half later. 3xp is godly.

Also you guys are underestimating the importance of gear. Stuff like Robes of Argul lasted my mage into the fifties, and a standard right out of the quest chain 58 DK is more than enough to run 2 people through SM, which you can use to level from oooh 28 to 40 something in a few hours.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited December 2008

Sorry, but for clarification:

If my friend resurrects me, and then I invite my girlfriend, my girlfriend and I won't get the 3x XP?

Pjstelford on
    edited December 2008
    Pjstelford wrote: »

If my friend resurrects me, and then I invite my girlfriend, my girlfriend and I won't get the 3x XP?

I don't see why you wouldn't.

It would just be like any old account recruiting someone new.

Duki on
    edited December 2008
    Duki wrote: »

I don't see why you wouldn't.

It would just be like any old account recruiting someone new.

Just wanted to confirm. Thank ye :).

Pjstelford on
  • supertallsupertall Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I've got a few questions for those of you more experienced with this.

I started a second account to level up a warlock and priest combo, now I've got a 40 warlock on account B, and a 40 priest on my main account, account A. Account A was my first account, so that's where my 80 is. I've also got a mage and druid in their 30's on account A.

If referred a third account, C, from account B, could I then transfer the mage to B and the druid to C, and level them up with triple xp by running them through instances with my main on account A?

Also, if I use the refer-a-friend thing to grant levels from a 60 on C to the warlock on B, could he then turn around and grant levels to a character on A, since that was the account that originally referred him? Or do levels only give you the 2/1 handout on levels you actually earn?

supertall on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think so followed by I think so.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hmm. I'm trying out dualboxing with two balance druids (currently 16ish in the piece-of-shit-barrens-dear-christ-I-hate-that-zone), and it's been pretty good so far. Only really annoying thing is I can't really do "Get me x mcguffins from mob y" because I don't have mouse input on the other window. I'm still not sure I want to blow 35 dollars for some easy 60 alts though, especially when my main hasn't even hit 80 yet.

BlueDestiny on
  • VarethiusVarethius CymruRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hmm. I'm trying out dualboxing with two balance druids (currently 16ish in the piece-of-shit-barrens-dear-christ-I-hate-that-zone), and it's been pretty good so far. Only really annoying thing is I can't really do "Get me x mcguffins from mob y" because I don't have mouse input on the other window. I'm still not sure I want to blow 35 dollars for some easy 60 alts though, especially when my main hasn't even hit 80 yet.

I found it easier to set loot to FFA.
    Also there is a way of doing it because after a while I managed to get it going. I just can't remember how exactly.

Varethius on
  • GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Decided I wanted to give this a try over the holiday period and am really enjoying it so far -- in fact I'm quite surprised at how easy it actually is. I haven't even tried being boosted in instances yet as the triple XP gain from just normal quests is good enough for me so far, not to mention the awesome double hearthstone + linked account friend-summons!

I'm leveling a Paladin on my main account and a Priest on my secondary - already hit the lvl 20 Trial Account cap, so am just waiting for my upgrade to activate before I continue.

I'm using a program called HotkeyNet and have two WoWs running in window mode. Although I have basic functions macro'd so I can effectively control both from my Pally's screen, switching between windows is pretty much instantaneous so it's very easy to switch between which character I am primarily controlling (and also makes it very easy to accept quests, loot Q items, etc.).

It's rather frustrating to have my priest in such poor gear, however, but that will be easily sorted once the account upgrades.

I've had a couple of comical moments where people have tried to interact with my "puppet" Priest (despite being constantly set to DND). Some lowbie invited me to his asininely named guild and I pretty much insta-clicked decline on my main screen... then he starts with the "plz accept" "pleas" "PLEAS!!!" "JOIN MY GUILD PLZ!!1" chatter and I respond by saying, "No thankyou, please stop asking me," to which he replies "I wasnt talking to you" and then I realise I hadn't clicked decline in my puppet's window...

Brilliant :lol:8-)

Grenn on
    edited January 2009
    Grenn wrote: »
    Decided I wanted to give this a try over the holiday period and am really enjoying it so far -- in fact I'm quite surprised at how easy it actually is. I haven't even tried being boosted in instances yet as the triple XP gain from just normal quests is good enough for me so far, not to mention the awesome double hearthstone + linked account friend-summons!

I'm leveling a Paladin on my main account and a Priest on my secondary - already hit the lvl 20 Trial Account cap, so am just waiting for my upgrade to activate before I continue.

I'm using a program called HotkeyNet and have two WoWs running in window mode. Although I have basic functions macro'd so I can effectively control both from my Pally's screen, switching between windows is pretty much instantaneous so it's very easy to switch between which character I am primarily controlling (and also makes it very easy to accept quests, loot Q items, etc.).

It's rather frustrating to have my priest in such poor gear, however, but that will be easily sorted once the account upgrades.

I've had a couple of comical moments where people have tried to interact with my "puppet" Priest (despite being constantly set to DND). Some lowbie invited me to his asininely named guild and I pretty much insta-clicked decline on my main screen... then he starts with the "plz accept" "pleas" "PLEAS!!!" "JOIN MY GUILD PLZ!!1" chatter and I respond by saying, "No thankyou, please stop asking me," to which he replies "I wasnt talking to you" and then I realise I hadn't clicked decline in my puppet's window...

Brilliant :lol:8-)

I solved that problem by creating a guild to hold the alts. It's also nice to have the cross-account bank space :D

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If I upgrade my RAF trial to full will I be able to grant levels? Or do I have to purchase the next month?

BlueDestiny on
  • mfc144mfc144 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    For looting of corpses on the "slave" accounts, I used the following: (found on www.dual-boxing.com)

You need to be mirroring mouse cursor movement (but not clicks) to your slave windows or this won't be of a whole lot of use. I was using 3 machines, so this worked great.

On your slave accounts, you type these two lines, one after the other to make the initial keybinding.

/script SetBinding("L", "TURNORACTION")
    /script SaveBindings(1)

Where the "L" is whatever key you want to bind to your "loot corpse" button. then via octopus or whatever, map that keypress through from your master account, so that pressing L on the master, "presses" L on the slaves.

Then as you're playing along, and need to loot a corpse, you can just target the corpse on your slave accounts using the mouse on your master account, and then press the L button, and it will loot it.

Some people found they were able to do this without mapping the mouse cursor movement. By going into first person view on the slave account, and look straight down, and leaving the mouse cursor centered in the screen. Then with careful positioning your slaves were almost always able to loot a corpse. I couldn't get it to work though, I liked the mouse mirroring best.

mfc144 on
  • lifeincognitolifeincognito Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Varethius wrote: »

I found it easier to set loot to FFA.
    Also there is a way of doing it because after a while I managed to get it going. I just can't remember how exactly.

I may be wrong, but can't you set it to Master Looter and then pass items to your puppet?

lifeincognito on
    losers weepers. jawas keepers.
  • mrbazounmrbazoun Registered User new member
    edited January 2009
    The Octopus Link isnt working for me. Im using mozilla firefox, the page just keeps "loading" but it never loads anything useful. Any help would be appreciated

mrbazoun on
    edited January 2009
    So, I think this is working. Now where should my gf and I start playing? She's a new player, I'm sick of PvP servers, and I am wondering where the cool PAers hang out these days.

Pjstelford on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So, I think this is working. Now where should my gf and I start playing? She's a new player, I'm sick of PvP servers, and I am wondering where the cool PAers hang out these days.
    This thread might be of use to you if you play on NA servers.

815165 on
    edited January 2009
    I'm still dual-boxing away and went from 27 to 38 over the weekend (playing in a fairly casual manner). Now that both characters have mounts it's even easier.

Once again, I really can't believe how easy it is to do, and I am certainly not looking forward to leveling any more alts singularly and without the 300% XP...

Ocassionally, I'll try and guess how much xp I'll get for a quest hand-in, just for fun -- "Hmmm, this isn't much more than a fed-ex Quest, might be worth 5k xp" *takes a look at the xp* "I'll not level yet."

Hands in, 11k XP, DING level plus about 15% of the next level. :shock::D

I've also bumped into a couple of other multiboxers in-game, which is quite cool...

Grenn on
  • slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That was the roughest part of the RAF for me.

After 3 months, 20 characters on 2 accounts filled with 60-70 characters (one for each class on each account), minus the obligatory lvl 19 rogue, and neglecting to step foot into Northrend almost 2 months after it opened even though i bought my Wrath copies at midnight on launch, it was finally time to start lvlling people past 60.

Levelling, after 3 months on continuous triple xp, feels like an even bigger grind than it did originally. I've been used to turning in 3-4 quests per level for 3 months now, so this just feels like forever to see advancement.

You cannot comprehend stepping out into Northrend with the full level and a half of rested blue, getting 1900-2000 xp per kill, and turning in quests for 20,000 xp, and thinking, "Meh, I was getting this at lvl 30 : / "

I finally have my 70s on their way to 80 (my hunter made it to 80 in 5 days), but goddamn does the lack of triple xp after 3 months make the grind so grind-y. But geez, I could level from 1-60 in 10 hours, now that's good for 2-3 levels :(

slurpeepoop on
  • LaonarLaonar Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    BOO HOO!

Laonar on
  • FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Does the person you RAF-ed have to buy the main game for the 3x exp to kick in or can I just get easy level 20s(trial cap)?

Fuga on
    edited January 2009
    The latter.

815165 on
    edited January 2009
    Any easy way to turn quests in for my puppet? Right now I have to alttab. :/

Fuga on
    edited January 2009
    With Octothingy I set it up so when holding alt mouse clicks were copied too, so then you just run your first guy close enough to the quest giver so that you're both in range, hold alt and accept/turn in the quest.

815165 on
  • AftyAfty Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So my computer doesnt really handle running 2 copies of wow at the same time. So i would like to just play on my second account and then when it comes to quest turn in time fire up the main account and meet up to abuse the triple turn in bonus.

My question - does the character that i pair it with have to be of similar level? I know it does for kills to count (the mobs must be non trivial to both characters).

Can i say have a bunch of level 20 quests, log on an 80 to meet up with the lowbie and turn them all in?

one day i will learn to articulate.

Afty on
    edited January 2009
    Anyone know why my clicks might not be broadcasting to my alt window?

Fuga on
  • McPudgyMcPudgy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Afty wrote: »
    So my computer doesnt really handle running 2 copies of wow at the same time. So i would like to just play on my second account and then when it comes to quest turn in time fire up the main account and meet up to abuse the triple turn in bonus.

My question - does the character that i pair it with have to be of similar level? I know it does for kills to count (the mobs must be non trivial to both characters).

Can i say have a bunch of level 20 quests, log on an 80 to meet up with the lowbie and turn them all in?

one day i will learn to articulate.

From my understanding of the rules set, and reading the "blue" article in the first post, these bonuses only go to characters lvl 1-60. I would imagine that you could easily get a character through the last 5 lvls from 55-60 this way, but I think you are still going to have to grind your way up the ladder to 80

McPudgy on
    edited January 2009
    Afty wrote: »

Yes, your characters have to be of a similar level.

It wasn't always like this, and for a while people could simply log a lvl 80, group and stand next to the lowbie for them to get triple xp but they changed it.

The only way you can consistently benefit from the triple-xp is to have both characters leveling at the same rate.

Grenn on