As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Getting Time Off

crackgoblincrackgoblin Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in PAX Archive
Just wanted to see if anyone else still had their schedules up in the air around the expo time. Im a medical student and ill be on hospital rotations around then. Im hoping i can get a day off way in advance.

any old pax goers who have advice on getting time off, do share

its a secret to everyone
crackgoblin on

• latinman280latinman280 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yea, I'm currently bumming because I'll miss this year's PAX because of a friend's wedding. Every fiber of my being is pulling me towards enjoying another PAX yet the probability of being bitched at because of choosing my gaming ahead of her is pulling even harder. Oh if only I was an anitisocial douche, my life would be so much easier.

Why couldn't PAX be the last weekend in Aug like it's supposed to be!?!!?!? /end rant

latinman280 on
  • JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You could always quit your job like someone did in the past.

JonnyNero on
  • spydeyspydey Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I hate this is the same time as DragonCon. At least next year I can go to PAX East so I'll be able to do both.

spydey on
    cp468kw5.gif
  • crackgoblincrackgoblin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    JonnyNero wrote: »
    You could always quit your job like someone did in the past.

i could do that, but then id be in an assload of debt and would end up selling my soul to some fast food chain to pay the bills. biology degree- sooo useless

crackgoblin on
    its a secret to everyone
  • AzazelAzazel Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yea, I'm currently bumming because I'll miss this year's PAX because of a friend's wedding. Every fiber of my being is pulling me towards enjoying another PAX yet the probability of being bitched at because of choosing my gaming ahead of her is pulling even harder. Oh if only I was an anitisocial douche, my life would be so much easier.

Why couldn't PAX be the last weekend in Aug like it's supposed to be!?!!?!? /end rant

Hehe, and I was afraid I was gonna miss PAX because my sister's wedding is the same weekend PAX was last year. Now I can actually go. I guess it just works in favor of some and against others.

Azazel on
  • babelfishbabelfish Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I work retail. Er, worked -- at Circuit City, so that's done shortly. The day before we decided to close up for good, I put in a time-off request for PAX. Yes, eight months in advance. Awesome, right?

I usually put in my time-off request a few months ahead of time and it doesn't cause any issues.

babelfish on
  • TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I walk up to my supervisor and say "Hey Gabby . . . i need a week off for that thing i do every year . . . here are the dates" and I hand her a piece of paper with the dates conveniently highlighted on a poorly drawn calander

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah im one of those so-called "crazy" people that puts PAX in front of everything else, including my job. Thankfully I haven't had any issues yet, and I already have plenty of time requested off during and around PAX09. I work retail, so it's not hard, though I'm not sure if I will be by that time.

I've been in financial trouble for long enough, and can't really see any future for myself at the time being, so I try to have what fun I can, and PAX is the best place for it. IMO It's the best weekend of the year, and soon there will be two a year, which I'm already over-excited for, and I'll do whatever it takes to go to both each year.

... Like I said, I'm crazy. :P

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My problem last year wasn't getting the time off, but explaining to all of my older corporate type co-workers what it was I was taking off for.

"It's a gaming convention"
    "Like poker and slots?"
    "No, like video games"
    "Oh, you're going to a Donky Kong tournament? I remember those back in the day."
    "No, not exact-...uh, sure whatever."

That was the actual conversation. No one understood either why I would travel all the way across the country by myself for this. They thought I would be lonely. I was like "No, not really".

redhalo on
  • JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    spydey wrote: »
    I hate this is the same time as DragonCon. At least next year I can go to PAX East so I'll be able to do both.

PAX>DragonCon

really...thats no excuse :p

JonnyNero on
    edited January 2009
    pardon the ignorance, but what is this dragoncon

crackgoblin on
    its a secret to everyone
    edited January 2009
    Dragon*Con is the largest multi-media, popular culture convention focusing on science fiction and fantasy, gaming, comics, literature, art, music, and film in the US.

spydey on
    cp468kw5.gif
  • proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dragon*Con is the largest multi-media, popular culture convention focusing on science fiction and fantasy, gaming, comics, literature, art, music, and film in the US.

And by largest, he means still smaller and less awesome than PAX

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    redhalo wrote: »
    My problem last year wasn't getting the time off, but explaining to all of my older corporate type co-workers what it was I was taking off for.

"Like poker and slots?"
    "No, like video games"
    "Oh, you're going to a Donky Kong tournament? I remember those back in the day."

That was the actual conversation. No one understood either why I would travel all the way across the country by myself for this. They thought I would be lonely. I was like "No, not really".

lol, that's classic =)=)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

"Like poker and slots?"
    "No, like video games"
    "Oh, you're going to a Donkey Kong tournament? I remember those back in the day."

lol, that's classic =)=)

That, oddly, sounds like my office. And the only day that week I need to work is that Monday since it is the last business day of the month (meaning August.)

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

"Like poker and slots?"
    "No, like video games"

ha ha i have a similar problem explaining what it is to people.

"PAX? What's that? some sorta Christian thing?"
    "What? No . . why would you . ..never mind . ..It's the Penny Arcade Expo"
    "Oh . .. so . . so like antique coin machines right?"
    "Uh noooooo . . "

and then it pretty much goes word for word what you just did up there.

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
    edited January 2009

"Like poker and slots?"
    "No, like video games"

ha, its going to be my first year but i have a feeling ill experience the same conversation.

crackgoblin on
    its a secret to everyone
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ha ha i have a similar problem explaining what it is to people.

"PAX? What's that? some sorta Christian thing?"

It's a good thing you didn't show them the logo, because my mom sure thought that the X was a cross when she first saw my t-shirt.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    A coworker asked me today "What's that PAX event thing you signed up for on Facebook? I saw it had to do with video games." I explained it to him in all its splendor, and now he wants constant updates as I get them.

As for time off, I requested mine at the beginning of December.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • TherosTheros Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have also already requested the time off. I don't plan on still working where I am by the time PAX hits again, but it never hurts to put in for it before anyone else has... <_<

Theros on
    edited January 2009
    Liger wrote: »
    A coworker asked me today "What's that PAX event thing you signed up for on Facebook? I saw it had to do with video games." I explained it to him in all its splendor, and now he wants constant updates as I get them.

I hope you mean September >.<

Azazel on
  • RelativioxRelativiox Halo Nerd Forerunner shield world OnyxRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Azazel wrote: »
    Liger wrote: »

I hope you mean September >.<

No, as in that's when she asked to get the PAX dates off.
    Always good to get those in /early/ ;)

Relativiox on
    iris_forumsig.gif
  • MrBartokomousMrBartokomous Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't expect it'll be an issue for me... I'll just tell my boss I'd like to work a couple Saturdays in August to compensate for the thursday/friday before labour day.

Problem solved!

MrBartokomous on
  • ninjownedninjowned Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ack! I had requested time off for the last friday/weekend in August, that was approved, now I got to cancel that and request it for the september dates! I guess I'll do that on Friday...

ninjowned on
    ninjowned!
    edited January 2009
    proXimity wrote: »

And by largest, he means still smaller and less awesome than PAX

Or 4 times as large. It's pretty crazy. Either way, I'll be at PAX this year, and both next year.

spydey on
    cp468kw5.gif
  • MeeOkMeeOk Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I just got my time off approved! Yay! August 29th - September 8th. Goin' back to work on Sept. 9th. w00t!

MeeOk on
    edited January 2009
    MeeOk wrote: »
    I just got my time off approved! Yay! August 29th - September 8th. Goin' back to work on Sept. 9th. w00t!

Week and a half of pure partying?

Azazel on
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

I would assume so, if I remember correctly, MeeOk turns 21 sometime around the end of August (correct me if I'm wrong) ;-)

I know I'll be taking at least a week off and partying for sure, turning 21 in just over a month so i can hit the pub crawl and all that.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • MeeOkMeeOk Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Coldbrew wrote: »

I would assume so, if I remember correctly, MeeOk turns 21 sometime around the end of August (correct me if I'm wrong) ;-)

I know I'll be taking at least a week off and partying for sure, turning 21 in just over a month so i can hit the pub crawl and all that.

My birthday is August 30th. XD Yes, there shall be much partying. I know of at least two groups that want me to celebrate it with them.

MeeOk on
    edited January 2009
    I'm sure I'll be joining some parties as well, but as long as I see you at the pub crawl, I'll be happy!

.. dammit now when I think of being 21 and hitting up the pub crawl, I forget about all the other pre-pax events... *sigh*

we should definitely throw a party for you on the 30th though. :D

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2009
    Um, wrong thread, PikaPuff.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    maaaaaaaaaaaan everyone else is talking pub crawl

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2009
    That was so last week

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This week, pub sliding.

Highfire on
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Is that the drinking version of the electric slide?

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • hamburger helperhamburger helper Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

"Like poker and slots?"
    "No, like video games"

ha, its going to be my first year but i have a feeling ill experience the same conversation.

I usually tell people I'm going to Bumbershoot

hamburger helper on
    statimg.php?id=280&theme=1
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm using the wedding excuse. It's just easier.

Asiina on
  • Rogue_hunterRogue_hunter Breaks Through Brick Walls Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The Fall semester begins the last week of August. Talking to the academic advisors, instructors and department head, all I really have to do is contact the instructors/professors before the semester begins and let them know that I'll be missing certain days. And since most of the classes are closed by the end of the first week, it's pretty safe to miss a few days during the second week.

Rogue_hunter on
    PlayStation Network: Rogue_hunter
    Steam: Rogue_hunter
    Games for Windows Live: Roguality
    Google+
    Twitter
    edited January 2009
    The Fall semester begins the last week of August. Talking to the academic advisors, instructors and department head, all I really have to do is contact the instructors/professors before the semester begins and let them know that I'll be missing certain days. And since most of the classes are closed by the end of the first week, it's pretty safe to miss a few days during the second week.

ah, the days of school. im horribly jealous. its going to be my second week of hospital rotations. i can imagine the conversation now:

"i know that mrs. jones has her bypass scheduled on friday, but have you SEEN the new Diablo III?"

crackgoblin on
    its a secret to everyone
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

ah, the days of school. im horribly jealous. its going to be my second week of hospital rotations. i can imagine the conversation now:

"i know that mrs. jones has her bypass scheduled on friday, but have you SEEN the new Diablo III?"

THEY MADE IT DARK!

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
This discussion has been closed.