As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

First 100 Days: Day 9 - Of Cocktails and Cocksuckers

monikermoniker Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
And so it begins. What will be the first items accomplished? How good will they be or how much will they suck? Will bipartisanship actually occur or will logjams get broken by sheer force of will? When will Harry Reid buckle under and capitulate? And who will he capitulate to? What's going to happen in the Middle East? How many times will the talking heads talk about the historic nature of the first black President signing a bill into law, and the first black President vetoing a bill, and the first black President using a pocket veto, and the first black President having a ceremony on the south lawn, and the first black President to host a state dinner, and the first black President to raid the white house ice cream stash....

29whitehouse_600.jpg
Let's do this thing.

Politifact: List of campaign promises and their status.
Wikipedia Article on the time line of the administration.

Accomplishments thus far:
Executive Orders-
Legislation Signed into Law-
Legislation Vetoed-
  • None.

moniker on

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I will say, that's such an awesome Presidential photo.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm not TOO concerned about this, but I am curious to see how Obama deals with the #1 proposal on change.gov—decriminalization/legalization of marijuana.

He's said he's not for either throughout the campaign and transition, but then he also said the whole purpose of change.gov is to provide a platform for public initiatives.

Qingu on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You know, if the US manages to decriminalize marijuana before we up here in Canada do I will just shake my head. Stupid Harper.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Qingu wrote: »
    I'm not TOO concerned about this, but I am curious to see how Obama deals with the #1 proposal on change.gov—decriminalization/legalization of marijuana.

I doubt that he will address it at all until his second term, unless somebody in Congress takes up that torch first, which I also doubt.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Feral wrote: »

I doubt that he will address it at all until his second term, unless somebody in Congress takes up that torch first, which I also doubt.

If it's truly that popular an issue, I'm sure someone will run with it eventually, though I guess it's equally plausible that you'll just see more lip service being paid to it.

I don't even smoke marijuana, and I'd be surprised if the US legalized/decriminalized it before Canada did. Of course, it'd probably make doing so in Canada a cake walk, so a win for those who care either way.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'll be more than pleased with a well thought out Federal Aid package, one which isn't too greatly shrunk for Texas.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Prot3usProt3us Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Aegis wrote: »
    You know, if the US manages to decriminalize marijuana before we up here in Canada do I will just shake my head. Stupid Harper.

Isn't cannabis decriminalized in Canada already? I thought it was just a matter of legalization now. Or maybe I'm delving too deeply into semantics.

Prot3us on
    edited January 2009
    Prot3us wrote: »
    Aegis wrote: »

Isn't cannabis decriminalized in Canada already? I thought it was just a matter of legalization now. Or maybe I'm delving too deeply into semantics.

It's technically illegal. Small amounts are thought to be unenforceable though if prosecuted, in pratice.
    In 2003 an Ontario court ruled simple possession laws banning cannabis unconstitutional,and in 2007 a Toronto judge ruled that Canada's pot possession laws are unconstitutional and that the country's medicinal marijuana regulations are flawed.

So it's just a matter of us going "We're officially making this not illegal anymore."

Aegis on
    Characters
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Forar wrote: »

If it's truly that popular an issue, I'm sure someone will run with it eventually, though I guess it's equally plausible that you'll just see more lip service being paid to it.

I don't even smoke marijuana, and I'd be surprised if the US legalized/decriminalized it before Canada did. Of course, it'd probably make doing so in Canada a cake walk, so a win for those who care either way.

It's that popular an issue on the internet, that's the important part.

edit: and I could use the correct tags maybe

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • SyphonBrueSyphonBrue Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    He hasn't done ANYTHING yet! I should have voted for McCain. He'd have had us in Iran 5 minutes into his speech.

SyphonBrue on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I don't think I've ever seen anyone talk about Obama's stance on this. I can't imagine it is too high up on the priority list, though freeing up prison cells would be nice.

On another note, I completely forgot about this first 100 days deal. This is where the impression is made.

Henroid on
  • Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Henroid wrote: »

I don't think I've ever seen anyone talk about Obama's stance on this. I can't imagine it is too high up on the priority list, though freeing up prison cells would be nice.

On another note, I completely forgot about this first 100 days deal. This is where the impression is made.

Hell, the networks' bobbleheads are already talking about the first 100 hours. 100 days? Please. They want an extended 24, minute by minute coverage.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • CalibanCaliban Registered User new member
    edited January 2009
    In all honesty, only 20 year old kids and 50 year old deadheads care about legalizing marijuana. There are bigger fish to fry.

Caliban on
    edited January 2009
    Caliban wrote: »
    In all honesty, only 20 year old kids and 50 year old deadheads care about legalizing marijuana. There are bigger fish to fry.

Overgeneralizations, whee. :rotate:

Aegis on
    Characters
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I'd like to think some of the people who work in Corrections care about it, given what its doing to the prison system. That's not to say they do care about it, or want it legalized, just that I'd like to think they do.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    if you take all the money spent on anti-pot ads and rehab and incareration and instead turned it into a tax revenue generating commodity i think it would make a significant difference

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
    edited January 2009
    TK-42-1 wrote: »
    if you take all the money spent on anti-pot ads and rehab and incareration and instead turned it into a tax revenue generating commodity i think it would make a significant difference

There was an article on this I just read. I should find it.

Suffice it to say, they figure putting a tax on marijauna would bring in 11-30$ billion per year, enough to pay for the entire bailout plan of Obama's 10-year plan.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Drakeon wrote: »

I'd like to think some of the people who work in Corrections care about it, given what its doing to the prison system. That's not to say they do care about it, or want it legalized, just that I'd like to think they do.

Unless I'm mistaken, you don't go to big boy jail with marijuana unless you have a ton of it or were selling it. Most of the times the above referenced 20 year old kids and 50 year old dead heads have $20.00 worth of pot which MIGHT get them a day, but more likely a fine.

On Obama though - I really doubt legalizing marijuana is high on the to do list. He has this whole war thing to worry about

Romero Zombie on
    steam_sig.png
  • QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Maybe these stereotypes approached some semblance of truth 15 or 20 years ago, but the world is changing. Progressing, even.

Anyway, I'm kind of sorry I brought it up now because I don't want this to be a pot thread.

Qingu on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    CNN reporting: the new president has a nice signature. Very precise, and with a flourish.

deadonthestreet on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    CNN reporting: the new president has a nice signature. Very precise, and with a flourish.

FIRST BLACK PRESIDENT WITH A SIGNATURE!

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited January 2009
    Clearly legalizing pot is the largest issue facing this country right now.

Unknown User on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    robothero wrote: »

It'd certainly be a lot easier than fixing the economy or Iraq.

Other than the getting political support part.

Scooter on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

He's so clean and presentable.

In other news, we've got 4 years to prove we can save the world and another 4 after that to finish doing so. Let's do this.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Scooter wrote: »

Yeah, while legalizing pot is an issue I agree should be adressed by our government, when the dude says "no, no I will not", and all signs point to him not doing that, and it would be political suicide to do that, and there are dozens of other potentially disasterous things going on already that should be dealt with, it really shouldn't be issue number one in any discussion.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2009

No no no - it's not that he has a signature. It's that it's so articulate.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited January 2009

Which would be a complete waste of time/resources given the other two stated issues.

Unless you were being facetious to my facetious remark, in which case touche.

Unknown User on
    edited January 2009

Yeah, while legalizing pot is an issue I agree should be adressed by our government, when the dude says "no, no I will not", and all signs point to him not doing that, and it would be political suicide to do that, and there are dozens of other potentially disasterous things going on already that should be dealt with, it really shouldn't be issue number one in any discussion.
    The political capital burnt in legalizing marijuana simply wouldn't be worth it when you look at the other stuff that needs done right now. It's a very high-risk, low reward proposition. I mean, can you imagine the first black president leading the charge to legalize pot? Talk about a Fox News field day.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited January 2009
    jacobkosh wrote: »

:lol:<3

Feral on

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »

The political capital burnt in legalizing marijuana simply wouldn't be worth it when you look at the other stuff that needs done right now. It's a very high-risk, low reward proposition. I mean, can you imagine the first black president leading the charge to legalize pot? Talk about a Fox News field day.

The bill will be filed as H.B. 420.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    When will Harry Reid buckle under and capitulate? And who will he capitulate to?

1) Immediately
    2) First person he sees

That is all.

Clint Eastwood on
    edited January 2009
    Cloudman wrote: »
    When will Harry Reid buckle under and capitulate? And who will he capitulate to?

1) Immediately
    2) First person he sees

That is all.
    I don't know if poor Harry's brain can handle the tensions involved in capitulating to everyone. I expect the next couple of weeks to hold either a complete emotional breakdown or the emergence of another of his personalities that actually has a spine (and will probably spend more time standing up to Obama than Republicans).

OptimusZed on

• ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Which would be a complete waste of time/resources given the other two stated issues.

Unless you were being facetious to my facetious remark, in which case touche.

I just wish everyone in congress would magically realize I'm right on this issue and end the war on drugs so we can move on. We could do it in a day!

But if wishes were horses and beggers can't be choosers, then hobos would ride.

Scooter on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2009
    jacobkosh wrote: »

:lol:<3

A black man has taken the oath of office

the loss is valued at US$1million

----

But seriously. I missed it. Are there any good newsfeeds up?

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    kdrudy wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »

It's that popular an issue on the internet, that's the important part.

This. All the Change.gov thing says is that it's a popular issue among democrats on the internet. Which is like a more liberal part of the internet, an already young and liberal "place", demographically speaking.

He isn't going to touch it with a ten foot pole in his first term, and probably not in his second, either. If he does, there's a very good chance Congress won't play ball.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for decriminalization. But let's be realistic here.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • variantvariant Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'd imagine his first term would look something this:

Revitalizing the Economy
    Ending the War in Iraq
    Providing Health Care for All

variant on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Cloudman wrote: »
    1) Immediately
    2) First person he sees

That is all.
    I don't know if poor Harry's brain can handle the tensions involved in capitulating to everyone. I expect the next couple of weeks to hold either a complete emotional breakdown or the emergence of another of his personalities that actually has a spine (and will probably spend more time standing up to Obama than Republicans).
    Harry Reid is probably capitulating to somebody right now, as I type out these words.

Dear lord, I can only imagine what kind of capitulating the guy does in the bedroom.

Clint Eastwood on
    edited January 2009
    variant wrote: »

Revitalizing the Economy
    Ending the War in Iraq

Point B, at least. The economy will have to revitalize itself, and universal health care isn't going to happen during his first term, not with the aforementioned economic crisis going on.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
    edited January 2009
    OremLK wrote: »
    variant wrote: »

Revitalizing the Economy
    Ending the War in Iraq

Point B, at least. The economy will have to revitalize itself, and universal health care isn't going to happen during his first term, not with the aforementioned economic crisis going on.

If he's smart he'll take a stepwise approach to healthcare, starting with expanded funding and eligibility for Medicaid and VA.

Feral on

edited January 2009
    That's pretty much what he promised in the campaign, isn't it? Not even universal healthcare, just expansion of government aid.

OremLK on
This discussion has been closed.