As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The New Game Cuts the New Time

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Djiem wrote: »
    EDIT: For some reason, that feather makes me think of the intro of one of the worst games of all time, Final Fantasy 8. Squall to be in mysterious game?

You shut your whore mouth. It may not have been the best FF ever, but it sure beats the hell out of the vast majority of new JRPGs that the world has to put up with now.

Except for that awful junction system. That was dumb.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    EDIT: For some reason, that feather makes me think of the intro of one of the worst games of all time, Final Fantasy 8. Squall to be in mysterious game?

You shut your whore mouth. It may not have been the best FF ever, but it sure beats the hell out of the vast majority of new JRPGs that the world has to put up with now.

Don't forget drawing magic!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Frem wrote: »
    This entire thread was built from the ground up to send me into a frothing rage.

The Triforce is officially the swastika of video games. A symbol utterly ruined.
    does that count as a godwin please god let it count as a godwin

I'm assuming you already know about this.

I'm going to have to go and play the original Zelda now. For whatever reason I got the strongest urge to do so. Luckily I'm at work and have all the time in the world to do so. :D

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »

Bah, who draws magic? Once you figure out the system, you can refine pretty much everything you'll ever want or need from the a selection of cards and encounters. In fact, once you get your guys decently junctioned, just turn on "Encounter None" with Diablo and stop worrying about fights at all. That was one of the bestest skills I've ever seen in an RPG. Don't want your dungeon experience to be 2-3 times longer than it should be? Encounter None! Didn't FF7 have an equivalent materia for that?

Oh yeah, and screw SquareEnix for cutting out overworld maps. I know that when I go on a big quest around the world I want to walk the entire damn way.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

Bah, who draws magic? Once you figure out the system, you can refine pretty much everything you'll ever want or need from the a selection of cards and encounters.
    I had people write in telling me there are other ways to get magic, well, yeah, there are, but I'm so pissed off, and I so don't care enough to learn them, that it's just another version of busywork instead of this.

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I played FFVI first

Then FFVIII

I didn't think FFVIII was that bad. I rather liked it actually.

Khavall on
    edited January 2009
    I had people write in telling me there are other ways to get magic, well, yeah, there are, but I'm so pissed off, and I so don't care enough to learn them, that it's just another version of busywork instead of this.

If somebody wants to beat their head against the wall even though somebody points them to a door, that's their call. JRPGs are generally jam-packed with stupid busywork, so why bitch about one of them where grinding can be almost entirely optional?

I think FF8 hit my limit for ignorant teenage heroes with emotional problems, though. At least most of the characters actually had military training for once instead of just swinging at people with awful weapons. C'mon, a "keysword"? Was the guy too retarded to get an actual weapon? Or how about a ball? Because nothing says "fear Wakka" like getting pegged with a ball.

Story-wise, FF8 needed some work. *I* didn't have any problem following the story, but I also don't mind the walls of text from Xenogears. A little cleaning and editing wouldn't have been a bad idea.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    No, I'm serious.
    I'm not saying this is an objective truth, everyone has opinions and a right to them.
    You can like FF8

BUT, in MY OPINION:

FF8 sucks. It sucks ass. It's HORRIBLE. To call it a game is an insult. It's so terribly bad it's mindblowing. You couldn't make a worse game even if you tried. Just... ugh.

So I hope the feather has nothing to do with it.

Djiem on
  • ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    FF8 was the first game in the series that I played and I thoroughly enjoyed it

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Ron Pearlman plays link in new Zelda game. CONFIRMED.
    Hyrule.... Hyrule always changes.....

Krathoon on
  • Genji GlovesGenji Gloves ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    Arcibi wrote: »

That would be why you liked it. You always remember the first girl, the one that took your V-card. Whether you know it or not, you judge all other sex by that first instance of sex. It's much the same for video games.

Genji Gloves on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Or he could just like it. I like the game despite starting with IV and VI back when they were called II and III.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Fuck you and your Final Fantasy, this thread is about Zelda and the goddamned TRIFORCE

And maybe a clock? I dunno

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited January 2009
    There is a distinct accumulation of Triforce in that clock.

Krathoon on
  • King of MarsKing of Mars A freak among weirdos A city in my mindRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh god what have I done? :cry:

King of Mars on
    Writhe your naked ass to the mindless groove.
    twitter //
    3DS: 2492-5478-6311 // Steam & WiiU: kingofmars2099
    edited January 2009
    The increase of triangles on the clock does seem to hint at the three triforce being gathered together, but I doubt Nintendo would allow another company to do a Zelda game unless it is done on the DS.

Krathoon on
    edited January 2009
    Triforce. Triforce. Triforce. Tri-Tri-Tri-Triiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii <explodes>

Krathoon on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Well there are 6 triangles there, maybe they're making a game about a hexiforce.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    edited January 2009
    Another triforce. From a parallel world.

Krathoon on
    edited January 2009
    It would be hilarious if the developers just put that ambiguous page up to get ideas for the game from conversations about in it gaming forums.

Krathoon on
  • ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Maybe they're making a Twilight game.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    At first glance it looked like something occult to me.

CygnusZ on
  • InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Krathoon wrote: »
    It would be hilarious if the developers just put that ambiguous page up to get ideas for the game from conversations about in it gaming forums.
    I think you're onto something.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Arcibi wrote: »

That would be why you liked it. You always remember the first girl, the one that took your V-card. Whether you know it or not, you judge all other sex by that first instance of sex. It's much the same for video games.
    Or he just likes it.

Final Fantasy I was my first one. It sure as hell isn't my favorite.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    VII was my first, and still brings about feelings inside me that go way beyond nostalgia, but I'd be lying my ass if I said that I don't think X is the crown jewel of the series.

Played all of them except FFIII.

UnbreakableVow on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    VII is pretty much just nostalgia for me. It was my first RPG, and it was epic.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    not on nintendo's website = this is not a zelda game

whew, let's talk about something else

Zek on
  • gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm sure that it's a countdown for a sequel to, or spinoff of, a game that no fucker outside of Japan has ever heard of or cared about.

I will place cash moneys behind this claim.
    Seriously, it's not fucking Zelda.

gtrmp on
  • Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Seeing as I didn't notice this thread before making mine.

Anyway, I think it's perfectly plausible that they've taken a company that usually publishes second party exclusives (that's the important bit right there) and used them as a mask to generate some hype.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    VII is pretty much just nostalgia for me. It was my first RPG, and it was epic.

VIII the first FF I actually played for any length of time, and it was insanely epic. I mean, I could tell it was horribly cliched, but it was still amazing. The end of the first disk? One of the high points in video game plot lines for me, right there.

Frem on
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm holding back all anticipation until we find out what the heck it is. It would be cool if it were a new Zelda game, and it seems like it's about time we heard something about the next Zelda game, but whatever.

EDIT: Also, if they're going to be jerks enough to feed off my computer internal clock's time, they should at least be decent enough to let me set my clock ahead a few days and see what it's about.

Terrendos on
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Updated!

http://pole.sega.jp/

Now the mushroom grows and shakes a lot more, as if it's about to explode. Also, there's some text with a little spoken message. Anyone here knows Japanese?
    EDIT: Also, clicking on the SEGA logo plays the old "Seeeegaaaah" sound. Revival of old franchise?

Djiem on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So we have a mushroom that makes a distorted 1-up sound and the old Sega sound.

I refuse to let myself believe in the obvious guess.

Also worth noting: the colors of the mushroom are the inversions of the colors of the original SMB mushroom.

Speed Racer on
  • JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So we have a mushroom that makes a distorted 1-up sound and the old Sega sound.

I refuse to let myself believe in the obvious guess.

Also worth noting: the colors of the mushroom are the inversions of the colors of the original SMB mushroom.

I'd say it's pretty much concrete that this is what we all think it is.

*edit*
    With the news of the colors being inverted.

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I know that CERO is the Japanese rating system, but what does the B rating mean? The symbols next to it seem like something Nintendo wouldn't want together with Mario.

Peewi on
  • JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Peewi wrote: »
    I know that CERO is the Japanese rating system, but what does the B rating mean? The symbols next to it seem like something Nintendo wouldn't want together with Mario.

I couldn't find the icons but these are the meanings.
    Contents descriptor icons

In April 2004, CERO defined the following "content descriptor icons." These icons are displayed on the back of all packages except on those rated "A."

* Love: Sakura Wars, Grandia 3, Da Capo: Plus Situation
    * Sexual content: Super Robot Wars, The King of Fighters, Air, Galaxy Angel, Galaxy Angel II, Doki Doki Majo Shinpan!, Soulcalibur IV, Higurashi Daybreak
    * Violence: Dynasty Warriors, Metal Slug, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Killer 7, Battalion Wars, Castlevania, Higurashi Daybreak, Halo, Street Fighter, Samurai Shodown
    * Horror: LifeSigns: Surgical Unit, Fatal Frame, xxxHolic, Bioshock,
    * Gambling: Yakuza
    * Crime: Burnout, Genso Suikoden I&II, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, No More Heroes, Wild Arms 5, Test Drive Unlimited
    * Use of alcohol or tobacco: Canis Canem Edit (Bully)
    * Use of drugs: Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
    * Language or other: Kanon, Baroque, Tales of Innocence, Killer 7, Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World, Tales of Vesperia

I would figure it would be Violence and Love maybe?

*edit*
    Reviewing that, is it possible that this may be a new Phantasy Star Universe game?

*editx2*
    The icons are Violence and Sexual Content. It is given a ages 12+ B rating.

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • DualEdgeDualEdge Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The U in produce links to: http://u-can.sega.jp/ which appears to be some kind of calligraphy program with a special stylus.

DualEdge on
  • chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I like the Japanese system. We aren't cracking down hard enough on games containing love.

chasehatesbears on
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I like the Japanese system. We aren't cracking down hard enough on games containing love.

I would pay good money for a rating system that warned a game was going to attempt to shoe-horn in a shitty romance 2/3 of the way through.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • MalakaiusMalakaius KalamazooRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The T in Takao links to http://prope.sega.jp/letstap/ ..... Interesting...
    And the C in Coming Soon links to http://prope.sega.jp/letscatch/

Malakaius on
    PSN: Malakaius- | Steam: Malakaius Switch: SW-4569-5525-1983