As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pop Minimalism (some more)

AgentofOrangeAgentofOrange Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Artist's Corner
Hey, I haven't posted here in a long while. Felt like sharing a bit of the things I've been doing, see if I can snag some tips, critique, or suggestions.
Still going on minimalism, pop art and what not. All digital, still all just for the sake of having fun and exploring various ideas.
I have a few where I'm trying out transparencies in my art; I like the idea that the image feels intergrated into the internet.
Lemme know what you think, I only have a few new examples to share. I'd love some ideas if you have any, anything to challenge the style I'm going for.

dancetonightai.png

heavy04.png

ican__tfly613.png

bodysnatchers05411.png

goingdowntoriver02246.png

AgentofOrange on

• SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think the last one here is the most successful.

The contour is the most interesting with just the right details. And the colors work better than your other works.

Sublimus on
  • AgentofOrangeAgentofOrange Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh definitely. I drew that on the same note as this drawing here, which I considered some sort of miracle among a sea of mediocre doodles.

dearprudence.png

Minimalism is definitely my style of preference, but I also just like to have some care free what-the-fuck-ever happy colorful art.
    I'm really looking for any observations on these uses of lines, maybe any suggestions on color or form or anything. Artists to look at, techniques to consider, anything. I've been in a slump lately, and am just now popping out of it and am quite eager to do something.

AgentofOrange on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I like the top on and bottom one, though i think the top one would look better with a background colour, rather than being transparent.

winter_combat_knight on
  • bionicbionic Washington StateRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think they're really fun. I love the second and third ones.

bionic on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2008
    I'd be really interested in you taking this idea to canvas. If you learn to make a really nice smooth surface with paint I think you may have some really interesting pieces. It would also introduce some new ideas, because your hand will handle certain things differently, like line weight.

Iruka on
  • lizard eats flieslizard eats flies Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ok, I've lurked her a while and now I have an account. I'm not really an artist so take these with a grain of salt, but here are some observations.

First of all, I absolutely love the style. (loved your previous batch too).

The first picture is really neat, but the girl looks like she'd be falling over backwards sitting that way. Also there is a lot more detail in the wall and stereo than in her, which is interesting, but I'm not sure if i like it or not, as i tend to see her as the main focus.. but the detail draws you away from her. But the sort of main focus being muted makes it intriguing. And for some reason I really love the way the cord is hanging.

The second is a cool idea with the sort of rectangle 'viewports' or something, but its too busy for me. Maybe cut it down to 3 rectangles instead of 5. An interesting thing to try might be to hand draw the rectangles instead of using perfectly rectangular ones with one line weight.

Fourth one: I like how bold it feels and the lack of lines. The words do nothing for me, and I think it would be stronger if they wernt there.

The last two are excellent.

Again, love these, cant wait to see more.

lizard eats flies on
    edited December 2008
    I really appreciate the criticism, thank you, and I'm glad you like what I've got.
    I kind of dig the "selective detail" I sometimes use, but I don't think I'm using it properly yet. I definitely agree with what you had to say about the first image, it seems too distracting.
    It's fun to play with, I did it to the extreme in this little drawing.

cascade01905.png

I'll try and work on balancing it out.

Oh, and yeah, totally, I'm looking into painting with pallet knives and acrylics sometime. I used to hate the idea of painting, I haven't had good experience with the medium, but I want to try it out now. I'll definitely post whatever I have, terrible or not.

AgentofOrange on
    edited January 2009
    adayinthelifeku9.png

AgentofOrange on
  • Pink TentaclePink Tentacle Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Really digging your first piece. Colour choice and overall placement and arrangement of forms really works well and stands out to me here.

Also, these would probably make some badass stickers.

Pink Tentacle on
  • LurkLurk Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I am not much of an artist, but it would be nice if you used more darker colors since the brightness of some of your pieces are in my face, arms flailing.

Lurk on
    415429-1.png?1281464977
  • sharky tsharky t LondonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    i like the look of your pictures. The colours are really vibrant and they're sweet and simple. It reminds me of julian opie.
    I agree with Iruka I think they would work well on canvas and you could also try monoprinting (i think that's what it's called) where you get some ink, smooth it out on a flat surface with a roller, place some paper on the ink and draw on the top side. When you peel away the paper it should show a pretty clear lineart effect that I think would work well with your style.

[edit] just to show you the kind of effect you can get with monoprinting, here is a piece i did in art class using the technique and some charcoal: http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/5785/92124056bq1.jpg
    Paints should work with it as well.

sharky t on
    edited January 2009
    teardrop927.png

I'm looking into setting up a project using spray paints, traditional paint and brushes, and sheets of wood.

Edit: Wow, this transparency does not seem to translate well at all onto blue background. Should have thought of that.

AgentofOrange on
  • lizard eats flieslizard eats flies Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    transparency weirdness aside: i really like that last one.

lizard eats flies on
    edited April 2009
    slipinsidethishouse628.png

I felt like sharing this, because I am really proud of it.
    Feel free to kick my ass though. It's how I grow as a person, as an artist, and how I get off sometimes.

AgentofOrange on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Maybe it's just not my thing, but I'm not finding that very interesting at all

Tam on
    edited April 2009
    Totally a lot of negative space, but I am not exactly sure how to use it. Maybe that would be a good area to consider.

AgentofOrange on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    That's probably a major part of it, but I think doing away with the hatching and using cleaner, thicker lines would help too.

Tam on
    edited April 2009
    I haven't used much texture to my art at all, and was trying to see what I could do with it using those patterns and hatching. The choice of the brown box seems ill chosen now, to me, because it just creates emptiness.
    Really I was just trying to create as psychedelic of a subtle minimalist piece as I can, and I think it was a strange clash of ideas.

AgentofOrange on
  • Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I think you do well with the clean lines. Definitely way better than the rough stuff. I agree with Iruka that taking some of these to traditional mediums may be an interesting pursuit.

However, beyond that, I am finding some of your color choices a bit rough on the eyes. As Lurk said, turn the brightness down on them. Like the last one in your first post. Could really be cooler if there were one or two colors that really brought out the main form. Something to grab my interest. I'm a major diggin' the colors of the one right above that. "Please don't take my body away". It's interesting, really warm with a lot of negative space. Caught my eye immediately.

I will say I'm not much of a minimalist man, but the pop style you have, I like.

Oh, also, just thought of what you could maybe do with that last one in your first post. Throw a tie on him. Maybe try orange, or more saturated yellow. That way not too much is exploding with color, but, it breaks up the space a little and gives you something to focus on before moving outwards.

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    Loomdun wrote: »
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2009
    why didn't you draw in the rest of the chair

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited May 2009
    I really appreciate the advice, thank you both. That suggestion for the tie is kind of exciting, I didn't think of anything like that. I did enjoy the simple colors used, and I do end up favoring those light, abrasive sort of pastels. I can't seem to get away from them, the light perverted tone it creates from such a heavy depiction of saddness is something I really love.

I didn't finish the chair because I wanted a sort of subtle note of disorder and insubstantial nature to what little reality there was besides the figure. Sounds like bull shit, I'm sure. I suppose my attempts were quite half-assed.
    I was listening to "Slip Inside this House" by 13th Floor Elevators on repeat for four hours, and I was just all about a sort of psychedelic scenery at the time.

I could do better of a job if I organized my thoughts more than the rushed inspiration I get at odd hours of the night. It's a shame I don't have time or money to take courses; these sort of things remain as a outlet of my more passionate, spontaneous thoughts or emotions.

AgentofOrange on