As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Calvin and Hobbes

d4rkmonkeyd4rkmonkey Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Graphic Violence
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section , but since Calvin and Hobbes is a comic I'm going to put it here. I am a huge fan of Calvin and Hobbes and own 18 soft cover books and 1 3 book set of all Calvin and Hobbes. I'm wondering if anyone else on these forums are huge Calvin and Hobbes fans. Also, does anyone else think that Bill Watterson should have his own web comic?(some of the reasons he stopped writing Calvin and Hobbes was the fact that some of his work was rushed because he was forced to make a deadline, and He couldn't set up the panels as uniquely as he wanted.)

d4rkmonkey on

• Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Calvin and Hobbes is the best comic strip of all time.

Mai-Kero on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote:

Thread's over, everyone go home.

DarkPrimus on
  • gredavingredavin Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Watterson is a god.

I loved him as a kid because of the catchy art and issues that I related to.

I love him as an adult because of the catchy art and issues that I relate to.

The transition is seamless; it takes real talent to do that.

gredavin on
  • BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    This thread is going to be just one big lovefest. Everything that's been said before goes for me, too.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • d4rkmonkeyd4rkmonkey Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Was anyone lucky enough to see the exhibition in ohio a while ago (I think around 2000) with the original sunday pages artwork? Back then i was too young, and I didn't even know about Calvin and Hobbes to make a crazy trip to see it. Luckily they did turn it into a book, which I am reading now, called Sunday Pages 1985-1995.

d4rkmonkey on
  • klokklok Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Calvin and Hobbes could make a good animated film.

klok on
  • Marblehead JohnsonMarblehead Johnson Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    One of the only things that I really enjoyed reading when I was a little kid. Plus, I liked the idea of a little kid who used bigger words than the big kids, which SURELY didn't affect me in the slightest (until I made a transmogrifier).

One of the best comics ever:

calvin_hobbes1.jpg

Also, I know it was a (poorly drawn) gag, but when I found this, I almost cried.

chob.gif

Marblehead Johnson on
    Magus` wrote: »
    It's human nature to derive meaning from that something that actually lacks it in order to suit your goals.

Dismayed By Humanity Since 1992.
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    I don't know that I agree with that, but it's definitely in the upper 5%.

...though it's not like there's a whole lot of competition, especially in the newspapers.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
    edited February 2007
    Aw man. That comic makes me sad.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    The Far Side is the best comic strip of all time.

There we go. That looks about right.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    edited February 2007
    Hardtarget wrote:
    The Far Side is the best non-story-arc comic strip of all time.

There we go. That looks about right.

Fix'd your typo.

Marblehead Johnson on
    It's human nature to derive meaning from that something that actually lacks it in order to suit your goals.

• PbPb Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hardtarget wrote:
    The Far Side is better than Calvin and Hobbes times Jesus

Fix'd your typo.

Totally agree.

Pb on
    edited February 2007
    That's a good way of putting it.

The Far Side (99) is better than Calvin & Hobbes (100) times Jesus (0.035). The math works, and everything!

Marblehead Johnson on

edited February 2007
    lol

don't get me wrong, I fucking Love Calvin and Hobbes, but the Far Side always spoke to me more.

Enough for fucking buy the complete Far Side Collection, that two tomb fucking HUGE ASS 20lb book set.

worth every penny. (Calvin And Hobbes now has one as well)

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • PbPb Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    That's a good way of putting it.

The Far Side (99) is better than Calvin & Hobbes (100) times Jesus (0.035). The math works, and everything!

Except for your value of C&H. That part is off.

Pb on
    edited February 2007
    I fucking love The Far Side (some comic strips bordered on Da Vinci genius) but I always identified more with the plight of Calvin. Still, we can both agree... Calvin & Hobbes and The Far Side get together on weekends, get high and talk about how much better they are than the Family Circus.

Marblehead Johnson on

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2007
    Also, I know it was a (poorly drawn) gag, but when I found this, I almost cried.

chob.gif

calvincomicfixedbytimh0jl.gif

Garlic Bread on
    edited February 2007
    Keith wrote:
    Neat, never seen that one!

Marblehead Johnson on

edited February 2007
    Oh what the hell, I'll post 'em...

dpcad28dp.jpg
    dpcad36dq.jpg
    dpcad046gv.jpg
    dpcad52ko.jpg
    dpcad69gx.jpg
    MEANWHILE...
    dpcad72gt2ls.jpg

DarkPrimus on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2007
    Dark Primus you better get that Ctrl+Alt+Del out of here right now I am not even fucking kidding why would you even look at that

Garlic Bread on
    edited February 2007
    Keith wrote:
    Dark Primus you better get that Ctrl+Alt+Del out of here right now I am not even fucking kidding why would you even look at that

Dawg, it's my entries from a CAD photoshop contest we had in G&T a while back.

DarkPrimus on
    edited February 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    Keith wrote:

I was gonna say, that was a lot funnier than anything Buckley's come up with...

Marblehead Johnson on

edited February 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    Keith wrote:

I was gonna say, that was a lot funnier than anything Buckley's come up with...

The thread is saved in the Archives. It's a good read.

DarkPrimus on
    edited February 2007
    Keith wrote:

chob.gif

I must be missing something, who did these? Very sad

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Some ass with no soul made the first one, and a hero with a heart for the children made the second.

SithDrummer on
  • d4rkmonkeyd4rkmonkey Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I saw the first comic there, but never the 2nd. The 2nd one is happier the 1st one is a bit sad :(

d4rkmonkey on
  • DoctorErebusDoctorErebus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    If this thread becomes a love fest, then I'm fine with it. Bill Watterson is a comics hero. Think of the temptation he must have felt during Calvin's prime. He deflected every cash-stuffed offer to merchandise his characters. He resisted the pay off for Calvin cartoons, lunch pails, underoos, trapper keepers, molded erasers, coloring books and NASCAR sponsorship. Offers that lesser cartoonists would have given an eye to sell out for. Just about a decade of unchallenged rule of the funny papers and he didn't approve a single coffee mug. Calvin & Hobbes turned up in the newspaper, and that was plenty.

Those "Calvin pees on something" or "Calvin prays to cross silhouette" stickers are pirated material. Watterson isn't seeing a dime of that money, and Calvin deserves better than pissing on the icons of competing pickups. We should really start running these people off the road.

The hole Calvin & Hobbes left in the comics section still is not filled. I doubt it ever will be. There's funny stuff out there, but Calvin & Hobbes looms over them all.

DoctorErebus on
  • Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA64g3pi97M

Bringing shit to it's logical conclusion since '03 ish

Ethan Smith on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Calvin and Hobbes changed my life.

Well, okay, maybe not that, but it certainly made it better.

Furu on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Calvin and Hobbes is awesome, but in terms of best newspaper comic strip ever, I'd be more inclined to give it to old school Peanuts.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    What I always liked about Watterson is that he saw himself as an artist, and comic strips as a legitimate form of expression. He brought back a class and dignity to the form that had been missing for decades.

I, like so many others, love Calvin and Hobbes. It was always experimenting, pushing the boundaries of the medium, it worked on multiple levels (satire, friendship comic, exploration of reality and imagination, etc.), and most importantly it was always a joy to read.

I really have to get the complete set.

Charmy on
    I have a twitter.
  • InxInx Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    One thing that I didn't notice when I was a kid, but can really appreciate now in a time where comedy is a blue streak of f-bombs, is that, AFAIK, the dirtiest word that ever showed up in the comic was 'booger'.

And I still lol.

Inx on
  • SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Speaking of fake final strips, I kinda "like" this one (couldn't find the image by itself, sorry).

SpeedySwaf on
    edited February 2007
    If this thread becomes a love fest, then I'm fine with it. Bill Watterson is a comics hero. Think of the temptation he must have felt during Calvin's prime. He deflected every cash-stuffed offer to merchandise his characters. He resisted the pay off for Calvin cartoons, lunch pails, underoos, trapper keepers, molded erasers, coloring books and NASCAR sponsorship. Offers that lesser cartoonists would have given an eye to sell out for. Just about a decade of unchallenged rule of the funny papers and he didn't approve a single coffee mug. Calvin & Hobbes turned up in the newspaper, and that was plenty.

Those "Calvin pees on something" or "Calvin prays to cross silhouette" stickers are pirated material. Watterson isn't seeing a dime of that money, and Calvin deserves better than pissing on the icons of competing pickups. We should really start running these people off the road.

The hole Calvin & Hobbes left in the comics section still is not filled. I doubt it ever will be. There's funny stuff out there, but Calvin & Hobbes looms over them all.

Mutts is the only thing on the comics page that comes close to filling the hole. It's not quite enough, but Mutts is a great comic.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2007
    SpeedySwaf wrote:
    Speaking of fake final strips, I kinda "like" this one (couldn't find the image by itself, sorry).

People, please stop with the depressing comics featuring Calvin growing up or otherwise forgetting Hobbes. Fuck.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HankStamperHankStamper Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I don't see why you people don't honor the actual final strip. It was perfect, and summed up the spirit of Calvin and Hobbes perfectly.

Image:Ch951231.jpgw

Christ almighty, here is the link at least..

[link]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Ch951231.jpg[/link]

HankStamper on
    never give a inch
  • Pants ManPants Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

see, i actually think that sketch sucked. "lolol calvin's insane!!" wow, way to be on the cutting edge, especially when the comic itself ran with that idea whenever susie said anything ever.

a better sketch would be to see what would happen if calvin actually got a real tiger.

Pants Man on
    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
    edited February 2007
    Pants Man wrote:

see, i actually think that sketch sucked. "lolol calvin's insane!!" wow, way to be on the cutting edge, especially when the comic itself ran with that idea whenever susie said anything ever.

a better sketch would be to see what would happen if calvin actually got a real tiger.

What do you mean "real"? Hobbes is real! He ate that bully who forgot to bathe. He does stuff on his own. Hobbes is so totally real.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    A few things.

The final strip, properly linked:
    last_ch.gif

Everyone loves Bill Watterson, but some people take it too far:
    Audio Link

Charmy on
    I have a twitter.
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Charmy wrote:
    A few things.

The final strip, properly linked:
    last_ch.gif

Everyone loves Bill Watterson, but some people take it too far:
    Audio Link

Now that actually gets to me.

Fencingsax on