As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Grammatical Gauntlet has been thrown!

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Mori and I are very much alike
    You can go ahead and pretend there's a winky here if you like.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    We were at the store today, and Rachel saw the British cucumbers and said "Hah, look at the size of those English cucumbers! I spit on your American cucumbers!"

And I was like "Yeah you do."

Moriveth on
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Fishman wrote: »
    You can go ahead and pretend there's a winky here if you like.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Moriveth wrote: »
    We were at the store today, and Rachel saw the British cucumbers and said "Hah, look at the size of those English cucumbers! I spit on your American cucumbers!"

What up!

Jimothy on
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Jimothy wrote: »

What up!

h5!

Moriveth on
  • AirAir Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    word to your mother

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Jimothy wrote: »

What up!

man you give respek knuckles for that shit

PiptheFair on
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have never in my K-12 life been instructed to put more than one space after a sentence, and this is after going through both British and American school systems. First I heard of it was in university and when I heard about it was all "what is wrong with you people."

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Janson wrote: »
    I saw an advert today

It was advertising some seminars/lectures that a literary editor was giving

The advert spent half a page listing this woman's qualifications, which included at least 15 years as an editor for various prestigious establishments

Then it listed the various topics she would be covering in her seminars under the bold heading:

TOPIC'S

That makes me happy.

I love seeing qualified people fail for some reason.

MrMonroe on
    edited January 2009
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    I have never in my K-12 life been instructed to put more than one space after a sentence, and this is after going through both British and American school systems. First I heard of it was in university and when I heard about it was all "what is wrong with you people."

this is actually, no fucking joke, the first time in my life I have heard of people putting 2 spaces after a period

PiptheFair on
  • Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    yeah this is the first time I've ever heard of it too

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
    edited January 2009
    also, my mother has her masters in english

gonna see if she has ever fucking herd of this bullshit 2 spaces

PiptheFair on
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't understand the logic behind it. A period signifies the end of a sentence. Why would you need an additional space behind it? It's so fucking silly and pointless.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • AirAir Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    me too i have never heard of this

im guessing its just some art fags makin up more shit to act like they are the only ones who understand true literature

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's just a holdover from typewriters. It was thought that a double space after the period looked better with fixed-width fonts. And since most of us learned to type on computers from old people who learned on typewriters, we learned it their way without ever wondering why. And then some more of us had it beaten out of us in grad school.

Nothing to get upset about, really.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I learned to type on a typewriter. You know what else is a holdover from those days? QWERTY. You one space bitches better be practicing your Dvorak every time you post in this thread.

Aneurhythmia on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited January 2009
    Jedoc wrote: »
    It's just a holdover from typewriters. It was thought that a double space after the period looked better with fixed-width fonts. And since most of us learned to type on computers from old people who learned on typewriters, we learned it their way without ever wondering why. And then some more of us had it beaten out of us in grad school.

Yeah, my mum puts two periods after a space because when she learned to touchtype that's what they taught her.

In the 1950s.

bongi on
  • the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    bongi wrote: »

Yeah, my mum puts two periods after a space because when she learned to touchtype that's what they taught her.

In the 1950s.
    Yeah, my mum puts two periods after a space
    two periods after a space

the wook on
  • tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    i was told by my mom at first to make two spaces, but i only did that until word or whatever started putting green things under grammar errors

also i believe irc, aim, forums and basically the internet taught me how to type quickly way better that any keyboarding class

tugga on
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    tugga wrote: »
    i was told by my mom at first to make two spaces, but i only did that until word or whatever started putting green things under grammar errors

also i believe irc, aim, forums and basically the internet taught me how to type quickly way better that any keyboarding class
    100% truth.

SirToasty on
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    What manner of degenerate necrophile needs more than a full stop, exclamation point or question mark to tell him that the current sentence has ended?

You make me vomit, two space freaks.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I learned to type on a typewriter. You know what else is a holdover from those days? QWERTY. You one space bitches better be practicing your Dvorak every time you post in this thread.

Yes but QWERTY is still good at what it does. Double-space is not.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited January 2009
    the wook wrote: »

In the 1950s.
    Yeah, my mum puts two periods after a space
    two periods after a space

[edit]Ahahahahahaha yeah.

I meant two spaces after a full stop.

bongi on
    edited January 2009

Yes but QWERTY is still good at what it does. Double-space is not.

There's really a lot better ways of doing it than QWERTY, but they don't get adopted because not everyone is as giant a nerd as I am.

The retention of the double-space, on the other hand, is due entirely to giant nerds.

edit: holy fuck.

some D&D playing, graphite sniffing nerds even worse than me came up with a layout optimizer and found the most efficient layout.

And then, because they are dickholes, they decided to turn the algorithm backwards and came up with this nightmare:

tnwclr.png

the only way this could be worse is if the home row was , . / ; ' [ ] caps lock

MrMonroe on
  • ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    What manner of degenerate necrophile needs more than a full stop, exclamation point or question mark to tell him that the current sentence has ended?

People who have to eventually scan millions of their documents at a laughably low resolution. Also, if the organization you work for has done it for a long time, there's not really a great reason to quit now.

I am intensely bothered by people who refuse to use an apostrophe followed by an s for a possessive, regardless of the final letter. (Except Jesus' stuff, or the stuff of people who are equally ancient.)

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    cause obviously if you cant understand basic grammar then you must fuck dead people

tugga on
    edited January 2009
    Zoel wrote: »
    I am intensely bothered by people who refuse to use an apostrophe followed by an s for a possessive, regardless of the final letter. (Except Jesus' stuff, or the stuff of people who are equally ancient.)
    s's is so ugly, though.

Aneurhythmia on
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm with you on this one, Zoel.

I can't be the only person who was taught that.

Jimothy on
  • Balthy13Balthy13 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You don't need to use apostrophe+S if the subject is gender neutral.

Balthy13 on
    pasig.png
    Tweeters: radixius | Blargh: Wordpress | Sounds: Embol | Castpods: Ragecast | Steam | XBL
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Peter Ebel wrote: »

People who have to eventually scan millions of their documents at a laughably low resolution. Also, if the organization you work for has done it for a long time, there's not really a great reason to quit now.

What about plural possessive?

JoeUser on
  • Baron GreenbackBaron Greenback Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have always used two spaces, just how I was taught I guess. Quick poll of the office here is split 50/50 but almost everyone who uses 1 space insisted that Word pulled you up for using two when it doesnt (of course everyone had to check).

Baron Greenback on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    s's is so ugly, though.
    ick yeah I never use s's. looks terrible.

Though either is acceptable if you use it consistently.

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The it's/its thing annoys me to no end - not when people mess it up, but the fact that "its" is the possessive form.

What the fuck, English?

DE?AD on
    edited January 2009
    DE?AD wrote: »
    The it's/its thing annoys me to no end - not when people mess it up, but the fact that "its" is the possessive form.

What the fuck, English?

Some asshole, at some time, thought "but it's ambiguous when we use it in both!"

As opposed to all the other times English is totally ambiguous.

MrMonroe on
    edited January 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »

What the fuck, English?

Some asshole, at some time, thought "but it's ambiguous when we use it in both!"

I think the vast majority of English can be traced back to "Some asshole, at some time, thought..."

DE?AD on
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This two spaces thing, I can respect you old timers sticking to it. I only ask one thing, don't make the conflict live on by teaching your children these ungodly ways.

Vic on
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

What the fuck, English?

I think the vast majority of English can be traced back to "Some asshole, at some time, thought..."

That pretty much describes most of English history as well.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
    edited January 2009

What the fuck, English?

Also, it's consistent with the other basic possessive pronouns: his, hers, ours, theirs, yours, whose.

Aneurhythmia on
    edited January 2009

What the fuck, English?

Also, it's consistent with the other basic possessive pronouns: his, hers, ours, theirs, yours, whose.

Well, as "consistent" as anything is in English.

DE?AD on
  • JarthJarth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    SirToasty wrote: »
    tugga wrote: »

100% truth.
    I learned to type by playing Team Fortress Classic in the days before voice-comm. Hiding in a dark corner as the Hunted and trying to call for help leads to quick fingers. :D

Jarth on