As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So uhh, hows Palo Alto this time of... Life?

ZeonZeon Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So basically, a job has come up within my company in Palo Alto, its the exact same position i have now except in a smaller environment. Its somewhat piqued my interest, but... Im not sure.

Ive never really been to Palo Alto before, ive been to california, but it was the southern, LA and what not. Ive got no idea what to expect, and its a really far move and im not sure i should do it.

Basically im worried about leaving everything and everyone i know 3000 miles away while i go off on and try and radically change my life. I mean, right now im happy, like my office, like my coworkers, like my friends, enjoy thats its somewhat close to family but not close enough where i have to see them all the time. Moving to california changes all of that. I mean, im starting over from scratch building relationships with my bosses and coworkers, and hell, i might not fit in at all. Maybe everyone will hate me, and ill wish every second that i was back home.

On the otherhand it might be great and ill never want to come back.

So basically im looking for advice on a few things. Advice from people whove moved cross country by themselves to start over. Advice from people whove been to/live in palo alto, and advice from people whove moved from canada to the US, since im sure thats a hassle in and of itself. If it helps, im pretty sure my company will get me my visa and everything, since they routinely send people from our office to other offices all around the world, and i havent heard anyone say it was a hassle.

*edit*, i meant to mention im in toronto right now.

btworbanner.jpg
Check out my band, click the banner.
Zeon on

• Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Just make sure that you'll be making enough money to live in, or close to, Palo Alto. Real estate there is incredibly expensive, and commuting out there can be a real bitch.

supabeast on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    supabeast wrote:
    Just make sure that you'll be making enough money to live in, or close to, Palo Alto. Real estate there is incredibly expensive, and commuting out there can be a real bitch.

Yeah, these are the kind of things i need to know. Id be making somewhere in the neighborhood of 17-20 dollars per hour according to the posting, but is that enough? Im an apartment dweller, so i dont need to buy a house or anything, but is rent outrageous? I make about 15 now, and can afford for housing anywhere between 700-900 a month in rent. But thats also with 25% of my paycheck going towards taxes and benefits, being canadian and all. I assume the tax rate out there is a bit lower, but again, i dont know.

Another thing i was wondering about is car insurance. I love my car, and i cant see myself living without a car out there. Here, full coverage insurance on my 99 civic is about 250 dollars. Im 21 years old. Is that comparable out there, or is it cheaper, or more expensive?

*edit*, looking at craigslist... looks like the average apartment in Palo Alto goes for about 1200-1500 a month... closets for 700-1000... That might kill it right there unless craigslist is being a bad indicator. Im definately not going to up-end my life just to work 2 jobs when ive got it pretty good here.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
  • Options
    crakecrake Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'd wait till something better comes up if I were you. That company will keep growing. Maybe in 2 or 3 years a management position or something will come up that you'll (by that time) be qualified for. Suddenly it will be worth your time and money to consider it seriously.

crake on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    You also may not be able to bring your car over. It needs to be California-smog-certifiable. Though, if any non-California car were likely to be, it would be a Civic.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    crake wrote:
    I'd wait till something better comes up if I were you. That company will keep growing. Maybe in 2 or 3 years a management position or something will come up that you'll (by that time) be qualified for. Suddenly it will be worth your time and money to consider it seriously.

Yeah, Ive kind of had that in my head as well, except at my current office. Im well on my way to management here, and leaving fucks that up too.

Honestly the only reason i was really considering it was because one of my friends was pushing me into it, telling me what a good opportunity it is. After sleeping on it, and looking into it a little more, it doesnt really seem all that great. It just a major change and upheaval of my life for no real benefit. I mean, if i felt like i was going nowhere here id probably go for it, but honestly, things are going pretty good for me right now.

I think this can be locked.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
This discussion has been closed.