As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Resistance 2: Rise of Wang - Wherein Mouths Are Open

• EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Splicer....good? Carbine.....bad? What parallel universe is this?

Etiowsa on
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Fareye is fun, but doesn't seem like its suitable for all of the game types. Like ctf. However I could be wrong I've been focusing on coop more since I'm hoping for an auto balance competitive patch.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    IDK fareye is preaty awsome for core recovery. Yes if you are good with the fareye it hands down beats every gun in competitive mode. But seriously with the exception of the marksman or maybe the bullseye the carbine is awsome. If you get a secondary ammo pick up for it it's even better.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Ain SophAin Soph Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The Carbine is absolutely terrible without the 40MM. Every other weapon in the game has a higher damage potential on the primary fire, I'd rather have a weapon that I can kill faster with even if I don't have a chance to get an easy 1-hit kill. And with the splicer and fareye I always have that option.

Ain Soph on
    :whistle:
    edited January 2009
    The carbine is fine even without the grenade. It drops people in about 2-3 seconds, and is pretty much pinpoint accurate within it's optimal range. I seriously question how you can possibly rate the splicer above it.

Etiowsa on
    edited January 2009
    The only possible complaint I could see with the carbine is the clip size. Easy way around that is to switch to your side arm if you need more bullets right then.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Ain SophAin Soph Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Etiowsa wrote: »
    I seriously question how you can possibly rate the splicer above it.

The time it takes for me to fire the 4 shots required to kill someone with the splicer is less than the 8-12 shots it takes for me to kill them with the carbine. The ability to ricochet splicer rounds around corners and an insta-kill secondary fire available anytime and without relying on a pickup or prototype ammo makes it better. The only advantages the carbine has over the splicer are ease of use and the pesky crouching bug with splicer blades.

Ain Soph on
    :whistle:
    edited January 2009
    Well the void quest music in P4 is driving me nuts. So if someone wants to get down on some co-op I would be totaly down tonight.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I just beat the game, and the ending.. WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?! o_O

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    edited January 2009

A lead in to a sequile. Duh...

Wish I could tell you more than that I think alot of the intel on grey tech may be aluding to it.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Malechai wrote: »

A lead in to a sequile. Duh...

Wish I could tell you more than that I think alot of the intel on grey tech may be aluding to it.
    While it was a very good game, it definitely had the middle child feel to it. I actually liked the first one better though. They removed a lot of stuff from the first that I really liked, the vehicle bits with the jeeps and tanks, being able to carry more weapons (I understand the reason they lowered it is for realism, but I don't think the pistol should count the same as a rocket launcher. 3 should have been the proper limit), and I liked the atmosphere of the first one more. The first one felt more like it was in the late 40s early 50s timeline to me with just some crazy alien shit thrown in. The second one felt like mostly sci-fi alien with some 50s shit thrown in, even the human stuff was way to high-tech. They even removed a lot of the really cool weapons and enemies from the first.

But the important thing is that I did have fun, and I haven't had a chance to dive into multiplayer yet so I'll probably enjoy the hell out of that.

Also is the grey tech alluded to in co-op intel because I haven't played it yet?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    edited January 2009
    There's tons of mention of grey tech in co-op, as it's the primary reason for playing co-op.

Etiowsa on
    edited January 2009
    One big question and one question for people who have the special edition.
    How the hell did the bomb on the last level get from the chute they were going to toss it out of to right in front of the reactor?

On the bonus disk for the special edition, the last page of the comic what the hell was that shit just exploding out of Hale?

The_Spaniard on
  • BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I finally got my Platinum for this game... after 10k online kills, I'm ready to move onto some other great games :)

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So, I got this game for Christmas and just started playing it today. I'm really liking it, but I have to do the obvious move and point out that dropping the "Walking Armory" concept for "Hey, it worked for Halo" was really a dumb move. There've been times already when I stop because there's a new gun on the ground and go "Well, fuck" because there's no reason for me to drop a perfectly good weapon for another one. ESPECIALLY with the LARKs. There's no reason to throw away a weapon for a single encounter, since that's all youl'll get out of one of them.

And a minor issue for me is that they story-telling has taken a hit, as I'm finding it hard to follow what's going on. Especially when everybody's talking while I have to focus on killing six Hybrids that just showed up out of nowhere.

I am liking it, though. Generally I'm not a fan of FPSes, but this might become an exception like Resistance 1 is, for me.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The two gun thing could have been fine for Multiplayer, but I feel like you're not even playing as Hale in Resistance 2 anymore. It feels a lot like you're just a grunt now instead of a super hero

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
    edited January 2009
    Maybe cause your running around with a group of people with the same condition.

Anyways, warhawk is starting to die so starting to turn more to resistance for my online kicks. Anyone up for some Co-Op this wen night?

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • VrayVray Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Maybe cause your running around with a group of people with the same condition.

Anyways, warhawk is starting to die so starting to turn more to resistance for my online kicks. Anyone up for some Co-Op this wen night?

I'd like to. Around what time wed night? I'll probably be working till 10pm EST.

Vray on
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I need people to play this with. Will you guys be those people?

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    edited January 2009
    Once I get a little more comfortable with the game, I'd be up for trying some multi-player with you guys. Times are a little iffy for me, though, and, uh, don't expect me to be good. >.>;

Should I go ahead and apply to the Clan the next time I start up R2, anyway? Or wait until I'm a bit closer to playing?

Darth_Mogs on
    edited January 2009
    I'd like to start co-op from the beginning.

The_Spaniard on
    edited January 2009

Well the co-op is kinda funny how it works. From the start you can join any game on any map you want. But you can only create maps on chicago till you got so much grey tech and so many wins in chicago.

When you start a co-op game it picks one of a hand full of starting points at random and goes through so many different scenarios till you cleared about 6-7 massive encounters. Kinda annoying cause there are some runs that are jaw droping-ly awsome and I would love to run those over and over. But yeah if you want I'm not adverse to clearing chicago a few more times.

I was thinking about starting around 8 cst but can go all night.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
    edited January 2009
    Maybe we could all get a regular time/day to group together and knock out each of these stages one by one.

I haven't done all that much myself. I've only got a level 5 Spec-Ops but I've had a few bad groups turn me off from just hitting "play".

Vray on
    edited January 2009
    Vray wrote: »
    Maybe we could all get a regular time/day to group together and knock out each of these stages one by one.

I haven't done all that much myself. I've only got a level 5 Spec-Ops but I've had a few bad groups turn me off from just hitting "play".

Well there are some spots where the difficulty ramps up from hard to rape with no warnning, if your not ready for them it almost always ends in a wipe. The park being the most memorable from chicago.

But yeah everyone has a few games where people just don't do they're jobs well, or at all. Nothing pissed me off more than going into a game 2 medics 3 soldiers 3 spec ops and watching all our soldiers run out of ammo and go try to melee the hoard of chimera at the exact same time.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
    edited January 2009

Well the co-op is kinda funny how it works. From the start you can join any game on any map you want. But you can only create maps on chicago till you got so much grey tech and so many wins in chicago.

When you start a co-op game it picks one of a hand full of starting points at random and goes through so many different scenarios till you cleared about 6-7 massive encounters. Kinda annoying cause there are some runs that are jaw droping-ly awsome and I would love to run those over and over. But yeah if you want I'm not adverse to clearing chicago a few more times.

So I can play out of order and not miss any of the story points and intel? The bonus disk states that a few plot points are revealed from the co-op missions.

The_Spaniard on
    edited January 2009

So I can play out of order and not miss any of the story points and intel? The bonus disk states that a few plot points are revealed from the co-op missions.

Yeah it fills in your intel reports with every win you get 9-15 reports per map. 6 maps total. Think all I need now are holar tower and I've got em all.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Why does Single player not have a health bar? All modes of Multiplayer have them, and yet Single Player has that crappy red ring crap that I only see after I'm dead. I can watch and judge my health from a bar better than I can by a stupid red ring around the screen.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    Why does Single player not have a health bar? All modes of Multiplayer have them, and yet Single Player has that crappy red ring crap that I only see after I'm dead. I can watch and judge my health from a bar better than I can by a stupid red ring around the screen.

I'm tempted to quote this in the immersion thread as an explanation on why some games choose not to go with the more "immersive" option. I'd like to have a bar here, too, actually. I usually don't realize I'm way too low in health this way until I'm damn near dead.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    elliotw2 wrote: »

Health bars are soo 90's. :P

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2009
    Well as of right now it looks like Resistance 2 is going to be cancled tonight. Downloaded the latest firmware update and I can't boot up any games now. Gona try installing the last firmware off my thumbdrive but doubt it will even let me try to do that. Even then if I can't get 2.6 working no online support.

I'm kinda pissed right now.

Edit: 2.6 still pissing me off. But I have gotten R2 to boot, after a few tries. Kind of afraid to quit out the ratio of booting to hanging is about 1 to 5 right now.

Edit2: Anyone wanting in on tonights festivities shoot me a PM. If neither in the ROW clan or my friendslist go ahead and shoot a clan aplication in I'll accept them tonight. For now though think I'm taking a nap.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
    edited January 2009
    Co op in holar tower set up me and kurod on right now. Join up! server name PA.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
    edited January 2009
    Thanks for the games again, Malechai. It was a lot more fun than I'm used to in co-op. Sorry to run out like that but my eyes and headache are telling me I've played enough for tonight. Maybe we can set up a regular night for this.

Vray on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Fun game guys. I thought it might've been pretty laggy, considering where I am, but it was pretty smooth.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    edited January 2009
    Yeah last game we did in orrick was preaty chaotic but fun we had about 3 soldiers 2 medics and a specops played by liquid. Also got a new spiffy berserk for soldier that bounces any shots that hit the shield back to theyre sender. Had a good time cept for the 2 incompitent pubs we got.

Edit: Also I think some of the intel from holar tower is going realy deep into what the hell that was at the end of the game.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah last game we did in orrick was preaty chaotic but fun we had about 3 soldiers 2 medics and a specops played by liquid. Also got a new spiffy berserk for soldier that bounces any shots that hit the shield back to theyre sender. Had a good time cept for the 2 incompitent pubs we got.

That last game was a fracking nightmare, I was running between all 3 soldiers throwing out ammo and every time I gave someone ammo, they'd need some more a few seconds later. I ended up mashing circle for half the game. D: It was still fun but man, you'd think the people joining the game would've looked at the list and seen that we needed more spec ops.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    edited January 2009
    I just beat the game, and the ending.. D:

Fixed for my reaction. Seriously. D:D:
    After Daedalus, I was like, "Oh man. Oh man. This is awesome. I wonder how they're going to get rid of this for Resistance 3.

And then the ending happened and I went, "OH SHIT!"

And then I went, "Oh, I guess that's how."

I can't say I totally liked the ending, but man...I didn't expect it.

I've got stuff I want to get back to in LittleBigPlanet, and then after that, I'll be going for the Co-op stuff in Resistance every now and then, so I'll be up for some action, if you guys get a set day and times down. I hope my crappy DSL won't make me a hindrance, though.

Darth_Mogs on
    edited January 2009
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    I just beat the game, and the ending.. D:

Fixed for my reaction. Seriously. D:D:
    After Daedalus, I was like, "Oh man. Oh man. This is awesome. I wonder how they're going to get rid of this for Resistance 3.

And then the ending happened and I went, "OH SHIT!"

And then I went, "Oh, I guess that's how."

I can't say I totally liked the ending, but man...I didn't expect it.

I've got stuff I want to get back to in LittleBigPlanet, and then after that, I'll be going for the Co-op stuff in Resistance every now and then, so I'll be up for some action, if you guys get a set day and times down. I hope my crappy DSL won't make me a hindrance, though.

The co-op at least seems to be preaty lag resistant. If you got a head set I'd definatly sugest it for this game. I had to yell at a soldier for hidding behind a colum with his sheild up while we were trying to take a generator.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
    edited January 2009
    Ok new post heavy on the spoilers from what I've been able to peice together from the Co-op mission reports.

Cloven:
    Another faction in the current war. Also infected enemies to both the human resistance and the Chimera though they're forces are very small which is why you never realy run into them.

They've become more powerfull than the chimera recently and also have taken to eating they're fallen foes. Aperantly some of them have entered a state similar to what hale was at the end of the campaign before the crash.

Chimera:
    Daedalus has taken control of the chimerian colective. He has made it possible for them to exsist without the constant influence of the angles by constructing a chain of command within the chimera. The overseers are geneticly altered to enhance they psychic and phisical abilities also they're inteligence to give them better ability to stratagize and give orders to the grunts. These are the mini bosses your always fighting in the co-op mode.

Grey Tech:
    Thousands of individual modules of this stuff have been collected by specters and chimera alike. They have a verry specific way that they all fit together to make a coheasive whole but are capable of performing there function on a small scale even as only one unit. They basicly amplify electricity for an enegy weapon, all combined it's known as the promeithius weapon capable of destroying all but the most basic lif on a plannet. Go doomsday devie!

Towers:
    This is a big freaking spoiler some of it is my own reasoining with what I've got to go on.
    Ok so aperantly the chimera first came to earth by dropping the biggest of they're towers in Chicxulub Mexico, the signifigants of that being they killed the dinosaurs, those bastards. Now the others may have been built on earth or deepstriked from orbit, not sure, dosn't matter. What does matter is that when they all connect together the Chicxulub crater tower acts as the controll point for the whole system.

The system moves the plannet through space. So yeah all the towers and promethius are being used to make Earth an intergalactic battle station to get rid of the race that killed the chimera so many eons ago.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Just picked this up today. Went ahead and applied to clan.

Smashism on
    edited January 2009
    Smashism wrote: »
    Just picked this up today. Went ahead and applied to clan.

If I could get my ps3 to launch games right now I'd accept it. Might want to PM jaef.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg