As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

L5R: Your Honorable service begins

• El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Masashi speared a moment to look over at the fight and hid a grin behind his hand before returning to his vigil.

3 women now in the fray, though he was sure the lion would break it up in short order. Still...Duty was a harsh mistress, to not allow him to watch this fun.

El Skid on
  • Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Cowed by the genuine sounding threat issued by Rei and the skillful wrestling of Yuri the pair of girls and this is what they are upon closer examination girls not women, are finally seperated. Broken-nose clutches her face gingerly touching her nose from time to time. The other girl looks somewhat sheepish at you.

"Please," says Kenji gently, "you must tell us what the reason for this fracas is. It is most unseemly to brawl on the road." The two girls shoot each other venomous looks, broken-nose doesn't seem inclined to speak. So finally the other girl speaks up, "This bitch stole my husband to be! her fist strikes her hand to emphasize her point. "I had to do something! If Aoi doesn't came back to me, i'll...," at this she starts crying. She can't be older than seventeen but the knife in her vest makes you wonder what would have happened had a group of samurai not intervened.

"Whats your name child," Says kenji, who is only a few years older.

"Berry," comes the reply more sniffed than spoken.

"We can't let you hurt this girl here anymore, we'll walk you to the village and there you'll be sent on your way."

To his faithfull yojimbos he says "I cannot think of a clear cut solution here, nor is it our place. But if any of you have any wise words. Now would be the time."

Canada_jezus on
  • TangenTangen Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Rei puts her katana away and her expression quickly changes to deep thought. "Well, honestly it would depend on the magistrate, often times they things are handled by the village elder. Once a magistrate becomes involved it may require further investigation. But obviously this island has lost all order. Obviously this is why Lord Sun and Lady Moon grace us with honor, so that we may maintain the rightful order of the Empire."

Rei turns to Kenji "It is up to you Kenji-san, I could see if I could find the village elder, but i'm sure we have wasted enough of your time on this..."

Tangen on
    edited January 2009
    "We will drop her off at the village, well away from the object of her hatred." Kenji says. "We can't do anymore, we have to push on if we want to reach lord mayor Daitsuke's residence before nightfall." With that your group sets off, Kenji and Senzo take turns lecturing her as you walk toward the next town. You were near so it doesn't take too long. Once arrived there is more strange peasant behavior. An impromptu rock throwing competition has been set up, the winner apparently gets to choose the towns name.

"I'm flabbergasted," says Kenji, "I don't suppose any of you feel the need to have a town named after yourself?

Canada_jezus on
    edited January 2009
    Masashi looks confused for a moment. "Doesn't the town already have a name?" he asks, "And why would the peasants think they have the right to name a town, anyway? I'm not liking the smell of this- we should see the mayor and find out what kind of evil has befallen this place."

El Skid on
  • ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The single bowl of rice the group consumed before leaving was hardly enough to quench the great man's hunger. But even he knew better than to say anything of it in front of his new master. With a sigh, he walks in the front of the group as they make their way along the road, every movement of the grass and sway of the trees noted by his honed eyes.

"Why do you invoke my name so indirectly, Yuri-san? Were you wondering about my ability to fight in the battlefields of the bedchamber? There is no point in participating in a contest one is assured of winning."

Completely uninterested, Oda turns towards the 'other Crab' of which he is not.

"Otomo-kun, would you accompany me? Let us go first to the Lord Mayor so that he may prepare a proper welcome for our master, Tsuruchi-sama."

Valkun on
    edited January 2009
    "...other Crab..."

"...Otomo-kun..."

Masashi stared at first the Lion and then up at the Crab with disbelief on his face. Glancing over at the peasants who were throwing rocks in order to rename the city, he came to the firm decision that the island had indeed gone mad.

"It sounds like we've not much time left. Whatever is causing the peasants to behave strangely is starting to affect us as well- we'd best hurry in to see the mayor while most of us still have our full wits about us." From the tone of his voice, it seemed Masashi wasn't holding out much hope that anyone other than himself still did.

El Skid on
    edited January 2009
    Turning back from the road ahead, Masashi grinned openly. "Now THAT is talking sense, right there. Fighting an Oni or facing an opponent in battle I can understand. This thing with the peasants... it grates at me. Even if the peasants were to attack us, there is no real honour in defeating them. As it is...they are not behaving the way they ought. Your apology is accepted, Matsu-san." He winced slightly.

"And for the record, many have agreed with you that I am more Crab than Otomo. I certainly would like to think so! Ha!" Laughing at his own humour, he nods to Yuri and prepares to lead the group towards the mayor's residence.

El Skid on
    edited January 2009
    Putting forth a tree limb of an arm in front of the smaller man's way, Oda steps forward with an ear-to-ear grin. "Please, allow me. This long walk has been taxing enough for you, Otomo-kun." With even a little hop to his step, the Hiruma descendant moves ahead of the party to scout the way.

Valkun on
    edited January 2009
    Masashi grinned at the back of the Crab. "I may be very like a Crab, but I'm obviously not as crabby as the real thing." he said in a conspiratory pseudo-whisper to Yuri, obviously meant to be heard by everyone. Then he threw his head back and laughed heartily while walking on behind the scout.

Idly he wondered if he'd done anything to offend the Crab...but realized after a moment that it really didn't matter. He liked the fellow anyway, despite his peevishness.

El Skid on
    edited January 2009
    "Go on now, scamper away," Says Kenji to send the girl, berry, off. "One last road before we reach our destination." Kenji seems tired, though from the walking or tolerating the peasants misdeeds one can't tell.

A few miles from the second town and toward what would be the capital of this island, Oda makes a disturbing discovery. A peasant man, of middle age lies dead in a ditch next to a rice, a knife in his hand. He was killed by a few skilled and controlled strokes. No wild slashing, the corpse is reasonably fresh though the water makes it hard to tell. A red shawl hangs caught on the branches of a nearby bush. No one is nearby, nothing can be heard except the local wildlife.

"This place has descended into total anarchy," Says kenji sighing, "another peasant murder. Is there further danger or can we continue good yojimbo?"

Canada_jezus on
    edited January 2009
    A closer look of the body by Rei reveals small red threads underneath the victims dirty fingernails. Clearly this proves the owner of the red scarf was at least present at the time of the victim's death and likely the killer. Furthermore the precise nature of a cuts points toward someone trained in the use of the katana being the attacker.

"Lets move on, we'll inform someone in the town." Kenji grasps his lower back and leans backward a second alleviating some pain. "Anything the erhm, corpse could tell you?" he asks as he begins to saunter toward the town again.

Canada_jezus on
    edited January 2009
    Continuing on, after having examined the corpse you take the road to the final village this island has to offer. Your destination, Lord mayor Yoritomo Daitsuke's home. This village is walled in with a stone wall, more decorative than anything else since invaders would not likely get so far inland.

A man dressed for battle, or guard duty as the case may be and armed with a spear is leaning against the gate. He's doing his level best to look casual. As he sees you approach he jumps into a defensive stance with his spear at the ready. "Halt! identif.. oh you're samurai." he says, "You have no idea how much these damn peasants have been getting on my tits, fef!" he spits loudly and with great force to his side. "Ever since most of our proper samurai absconded into the forest, all i've 'ad for company are peasants."

"He pulls open the gate, "Straight ahead for lord Daitsuke, maybe you lot can talk sense into 'im." the man would seem to be a mantis ji-samurai. A step up at least one supposes.

Canada_jezus on
    edited January 2009
    Oda can't help but grit his teeth at the latest developments. Taint or betrayal, in either case these samurai have abandoned their duty and turned against the Empire. As a mere yojimbo, he does little more than bow to the guard as he passes, a somewhat ponderous movement while wearing armor and holding his belongings.

As the point man, he leads the group through the gate and towards the Lord Mayor, who clearly has some explaining to do.

Some beads of sweat have started to slide down from the scout's forehead, not from any exhaustion but walking in the sun all day does tend to heat the body up. As it flows downwards, it mixes with the war paint around his eyes, leaving twin streaks like ebony tears to his chin. As his palm moistens, it becomes harder and harder to keep a one handed grip on the incredibly heavy weapon of his.

Valkun on
    edited January 2009
    Samurai abandoning their duty and hiding in a forest? Either they have all been killed...or they deserved to be dead.. Masashi did his best to keep his expression neutral as he walked on towards the mayor's house, but only really managed a cross between disgust and minor constipation.

El Skid on
    edited January 2009
    "Lets continues on to the Lord, so we can get out answers now. "

Tangen on
    edited January 2009
    "Well fled, more like deserted really," the ji-samurai says casually as he walks you to the mayoral mansion. Once there he knocks on the door loudly and leaves you to return to his post. "Watch out for his pet Mirumoto!" is his parting comment.

The door opens and a small mouse looking man looks out. "Yes?" He asks. "Tsuruchi Kenji, here in name of Tsuruchi Basho to investigate the deplorable tardiness of your rice shipments!" Kenji answers forcefully.

"Oh," comes the reply. For a moment it seems like the man is going to close the door in your collective faces but he relents and lets you in. "I'll go summon the master." The mansion is cool and well appointed. Several doors lead to small corridors which lead to more of the same. The kind of mansion you'd expect an imperial functionary to have his winter court in. A young looking man in armor with his daisho in his belt saunters into view. The dragon clan mon adorns his armor. "Mirumoto jubei," he says and the name brings up memories. For those of you who keep tracks of such things, Mirumoto Jubei was the name of a dragon who killed three crane duelists in an unsanctioned fight, not even a duel, over some trivial matter two years ago. What he is doing here is anyone's guess. "Yojimbo to lord Yoritomo Daitsuke. My lord regrets that he cannot see you before supper, perhaps you would like to rest beforehand?" At Rei he aims a salacious wink.

Canada_jezus on
    edited January 2009
    The Hiruma scout left the great outdoors that were more his home and anxiety filled his chest as he entered the manor. The walls seemed to close in on every side of him as he lowered his head to make it through the low hanging doorways and past various fixtures. Don't say something stupid. Behave. Out of his element, he stands just behind his new master blocking the view of those in the group that walk in the rear.

"Supper, yes. Thank you." Oda wrangles the words out while making an ackward bow. Did I bow low enough?

Valkun on
    edited January 2009
    "Hah!" The dragon lets out a small laugh at Yuri's spirited reply, he's clearly pleased. He recovers quickly though and stops smiling. "I hereby solemnly swear, not to treat you or your companions as tavern wenches." The mousy looking servant returns with a pot of tea. "I have prepared the guest-dining room, you can rest there for a until the master is available." With a quick bow he opens the doors and you see a spacious is somewhat soberly appointed waiting area.

Mirumoto Jubei meanwhile, clearly excited, exits with a spring in his step.

Once you are all seated and alone Kenji takes a moment to speak to you all. "Be prepared for violence," he says, "I feel a deep seated worry about the fate of the last envoys. I had no idea Lord mayor Daitsuke had such an infamous yojimbo." he takes a sip of tea. "I must now demand some answers to quite tough questions. The rice shipments, Lord Basho's last envoys, the sheer anarchy among the peasants." Senzo meanwhile is pouring a cup of tea for all of you, he has also procured from somewhere a bowl of water and some cloth. For those among you who would wish to attend to personal hygiene.

After some time the mousy servant returns, "Dinner is served, our lord master would be pleased to have you dine at his table." Kenji swiftly rises and nearly flies to where the servant is pointing. Once arrived in the large and festivly decorated dining room you see the man whom this is all about, Yoritomo Daitsuke. He is a powerfully built man, with a chest like a tree trunk at his side is a scimitar and his daisho. Perhaps he always dines armed, impossible to tell. As he sees the six of you he smiles widely, "Honored guests! So glad to have your unexpected company! Tell me, what do you think of the new order on this island. Glorious is it not?"

Flabbergasted Kenji meekly replies "We gratefully accept your invitation Lord mayor Yoritomo. Though perhaps glorious is not what my master might make of the situation."

"Ah then what of your servants, tell me, what do you think?" At Daitsuke's right side, Mirumoto Jubei sit, smiling like a jackal.

Canada_jezus on
    edited January 2009
    "You want to know what I think? Well, at first glance, this seems like a rebellion against the Emperor supported by the local mayor and with the assistance of a rogue Samurai. " Pausing a moment to let that set in, he continues. "I'm sure there must be some reasonable explanation for this, though. Perhaps it's a clever ruse to try to bring the Mantis navy in to crush the island and all those who inhabit it?".

Apparently Masashi was not impressed by these two.

El Skid on
    edited January 2009
    "Not rebellion, not against the emperor, never!" Lord Daitsuke exclaims, "A simple adjustment of the laws! They couldn't even accept that! I removed some of the samurai privileges." he says motioning like he was trimming a rose bush. "Life here is easy for them, oh yes, not so for the poor peasants. Slaving away all day until some samurai comes by and tries to make off with your daughter, oh yes it happens."

"Sitting around like sacks of rice, doing nothing all day but drink and drink. I ordered them unto the field! Forbade them to simply take what they wished from the peasants. Do they listen? Do they hear the wisdom i speak, no! They desert into the forest, disrupt the rice route and make life generally impossible! The blame for any and all disruptions lie at their doorstep entirely."

"now," he continues,"i hope you'll be more reasonable than the last envoys sent here. When i forbade them to return to master until this situation was resolved they became violent. Simply intolerable."

"Are you saying, you will not allow us to return to our ship?" Asks Kenji.

"That is exactly what i am saying, not until the rice shipments can be sent on their way. A simple matter of finally finding my errant samurai."

Canada_jezus on
    edited January 2009
    "Mayor" said Masashi, deliberately dropping any honourific, "The natural order of things is determined by the Kami, and upheld by the emperor and his samurai. The Celestial Order isn't something that can be rearranged at will- surely you see that?"

El Skid on
    edited January 2009
    Oda obviously sits near the back where his mass won't block the view of the majority of the party. With each passing second, he grows more and more tense, not from the walls which seem to never-endingly close in on him, but from the growing tension. This will not end well, he is taken by some malicious spirit. Cautiously, while maintaing a face of simple apathy, his hand moves closer to his trusty tetsubo. However, its effectiveness in close quarters is highly questionable. So he sits, with eyes constantly darting between his new peers and the enemy across the table.

This is a battle of words, a conflict I am ill equipped for. Someone say something to prevent this coming tide.

With a gulp, he watches and waits.

Valkun on
    edited January 2009
    Rei sits and listens to the conversation and can't help but be a little shocked at Lord Daitsuke'a story.

Rei leans over to Yoritomo Kenji and whispers "Kenji-san we need to discuss a best solution to this situation."

Tangen on
    edited January 2009
    "We have forced all perversion of the order of things out of it, given everyone the place they deserve by birth." The lord mayor has a faraway look in his face, it makes one suspect a head wound but nothing of the sort is visible. Mirumoto Jubei, for his part, seems content to lounge around sipping wine with a smile on his face. The enjoyment he is getting from this situation is almost unseemly.

"Lord Daitsuke," Kenji says bowing, "This is all rather a lot to take in at once, i beg of you a night to consider your new order." sweat is pouring down the sides of his face, Kenji is clearly quite nervous. Yoritomo Daitsuke looks at though he is about to say no, but Jubei interrupts. "Ah a splendid idea, soon you'll be converts to our little cause here yes. Some time to consider, ey lord mayor?"

At this Daitsuke's eyes narrow, but he gives a firm nod. "Ofcourse, honorable guests i will have you shown to chambers and food brought. Contemplate in privacy."

The servants show you to some nice south oriented chambers and leave you in peace, all of you notice the guards at the end of the corridor however. Kenji loosens his garments and grabs a hold of his temples. "We are to be held captive by by a madman, this is beyond comprehension." A tap on the door and a servant enters with several bowls of rice and fish. Once she leaves Kenji notices a note stuck in his bowl. He unfolds it and reads aloud.

"My freedom from Mantis bondage for the keys to the island? It is unsigned." Kenji groans, "Is this the mirumoto selling out his master or some servant's idea of bargaining. Come sit, lets eat. But tell me, what do you think we should do?"

Senzo speaks up immediately. "I could run back, swim and sneak back to the boat before dawn maybe? Two days this will take me if i have to hide."

Canada_jezus on
    edited January 2009
    Oda nods contemplatively before setting down his half finished bowl of rice. "Kenji-sama, allow Masashi-kun and I to scour the forest for these ronin. Either we can talk some sense into them and prevent further sabotage of the shipments or use them to take it for ourselves." His voice is low and conspiratorial, just barely understandable over the rustling of the lantern and his companion's breathing.

Valkun on
    edited January 2009
    Masashi reaches into his bag, grabbing what looks like a small handful of rice crackers from his pack. He makes no secret of the fact that he won't be eating whatever food is being served in this place.

He seemed about to share his thoughts about the mayor when Oda again implied their close friendship. Wincing in irritation, he looked over to Oda questioningly, before returning his attention to Kenji.

"Tsuruchi-sama, I think our action should depend on what you believe has happened to the Lord Mayor. If he is tainted or has simply lost his mind, he needs to be taken out of power as quickly as possible. Since he is committing treason against the emperor, this shouldn't be hard to justify. If, however, he is under someone's control and can be saved, we should probably make an effort to remove whatever it is that is controlling him before we do anything.. final with him."

El Skid on
    edited January 2009
    "I agree, the best course of action would be to contact these ronin," He gives a little smile, "so odd to call them that for disobeying a lord like this. Contact them and together confront Daitsuke and as that guard put it, his pet Mirumoto."

He starts to fasten his clothes again, "The question is, do we leave like thieves in the night, our well trained scouts leading us out, or do we tell the lord and seek his 'approval'." he yawns, "the latter would give us the benefit of a night's sleep at least."

"Do we send senzo? He might not be quick enough to remain undetected but if we leave in the night it doesn't matter and we could have reinforcements here in little over a tenday."

Canada_jezus on
    edited January 2009
    "Unfortunatly we may not be able to trust these ronin, they are afterall 'Ronin'. No matter the reasons why. Another option may be to convince Daitsuke that additional Samurai may be required to fullfil his request. Though he may just force us to take peasants to 'fight'." Rei thinks for a moment.

"Another thought is some of the peasant elders may be wise enough to realize the punishment they will incur for not only breaking the Emperors law, but the Celestial Order as well and may be of some use to us."

"We are in a tough spot my friends." Rei smiles to everyone.

Tangen on
    edited January 2009
    "I am no expert on law, but are you able to remove the mayor from power, Tsuruchi-sama? You have been given authority to get the rice flowing again, and the Mayor is clearly impeding the flow of rice and refuses to back down. It would be a shame if we had to remove him from power bodily, but if it comes to that, I think we can manage, pet dragon or no."

El Skid on
    edited January 2009
    "I can remove him from power, but he could refuse, claiming the situation on the island prevents him from doing so." Pinching the bridge of his nose Kenji continues,"Lets tell the lord mayor we will seek out the ronin, to expedite our return. If he wants me to be more specific i'll deflect the questions."

Kenji looks around to take in your reactions, "Then in the morning we'll set out to find the ronin and convince them to return to proper service, for our cause of course. Armed with their swords, i will feel much better about forcibly taking power away from the mayor."

"Do we agree?"

Canada_jezus on
    edited January 2009
    With a nod of acceptance, Oda leans back with a sigh. "We will rely on your expertience."

Valkun on
    edited January 2009
    Masashi chews on a rice cake and nods. "So be it."

El Skid on
    edited January 2009
    Kenji slips out to speak to the mayor again, refusing any sort of escort, claiming that "It'll just put him on guard and make him suspicious." Despite protests he does head out alone and come back one hour later. "It is done," he claims. "Tomorrow one of his men will show us a place where many of the rogue samurai have been spotted, we will trust out scouts to find them for us."

As you retire for the night there's the realization that this will be a night without a the lapping of the waves at your side. With enough beds for everyone. No drawing straws. The night passes uneventfully.

After morning comes, breakfast arrives. So does the mayor, who seems completely convinced you've been put to his use. "Yes a bit west of here, past the rice fields, one of my men will lead you there. Unless you feel you can find your own way?"

"In any case, we'll set out soon," answers Kenji, "We have to find those ronin and deal with them." Though this might seem too transparent the mayor cannot see the duplicity. "Excellent," he says finally before leaving. You can now come and go as you please.

Canada_jezus on
    edited January 2009
    Oda the barbarian sits alone in his room, his massive weight resting atop the legs folded underneath him. What instruments of war he has brought with him sit idly by the door, ready for use within a few moments notice. His armor is laid out nearby, the sweat of the day slowly drying out of its dyed leather. On the low table before him sits an old tea seat, adorned with crude poor quality paintings of The Wall and the Hiruma castle. Oda's own handiwork, done in those rare moments of rest a scout is afforded.

With an unsteady hand, he lifts up the pot of fresh hot tea and pours for the stranger sitting across from him. A woman? Beautiful, poised, reserved, with enough class to put a Crane courtier to shame. He smiles at her as he fumbles to make some conversation. A little ackward, but better than he had been a few months ago. With a little care, he assures her that his work won't be the death of him. Steps echoing from the nearby hallway draw his attention to the precarious situation that he has somehow managed to bumble into. The smile from his lips is gone as she fades from his sight.

This night would be a restless one.

Valkun on
    edited January 2009
    Masashi got up bright and early the next morning, and he took his breastplate off and washed himself thoroughly while he had the chance.

At breakfast, Masashi accepts his meal but doesn't touch it, preferring instead to nibble on some rations from his bag. "So, we head out today to find the Ronin? Excellent... I believe that Hiruma Oda-san is best suited to lead the search for them, having trained specifically for this task."

El Skid on
    edited January 2009
    After setting out and crossing the rice fields, where the peasants are at least still at work, the hard work begins. There are no signs at all of habitation at the edge of the forest to follow, so you set out at random deeper into the woods. It takes a good hour but finally Oda spots some footprints in the muddy ground. With a trail to follow progress is much faster. Eventually you find a camp, sloppily concealed with deadwood and torn up plants. It rests in a slight depression in the landscape, sheltering them from outside observers.

Three samurai are sitting around a small fire, not bothering to really keep a look out. They look dirty and mal nourished, the very image of ronin. One is armed with a obviously self-made bamboo spear, the other just have their katanas. Their clothes worn still have the mantis mon upon them, these are clearly the men you were looking for. The only new looking article of clothing is one they all share, a red cloth shawl like the one you found near the body of the killed peasant.

"Balls to this, i am bored to tears. Want to play dice?" says one.

"For what, some leaves and sticks? What use is money you old fool." comes the reply.

Morale seems to be low. They don't notice you at all, too focused on their problems as they are.

Canada_jezus on
    edited January 2009
    That seems like a moment though Masashi to himself... And strode out into the clearing.

"Ho! Ronin! I am Otomo Masashi. We need to talk..."

El Skid on
    edited January 2009
    Their short but strenuous journey finally over, Oda spots and smells the camp just ahead of them. A movement in the corner of his eye catches his attention. That weasal Masashi, what is he doing? Confused, he watches as the man who had been following with the rest of the group marches up and begins to greet the Mantis samurai. Had I not been the one to lead us all this way? Am I not in charge? Before Otomo has a chance to finish, Oda moves quickly to regain the glory that should rightfully have been his.

In a boisterous but friendly voice, Oda calls out to the Ronin as they approach, "Hey, you old salty dogs! Prepare a proper greeting for your Lord!" As if his booming voice wasn't enough to startle the group, he swings his tetsubo into several nearby trees with deafening cracks and a rain of weak limbs and old leaves.

Turning to his companions, he takes a low bow. "Excuse my outburst."

Valkun on
    edited January 2009
    "Damn your eyes, who is there?" Says the man with the spear, "Its not the dragon is it?" Sighing one of the others says "He wouldn't be shouting for the whole woods to hear now, would he?" It is at this point that oda bursts unto the scene molesting several nearby trees.

"Oi, thats my camouflage you're breaking up it is!" says spear-wielder. "Shut it shut it, i've had it with you. See those clan crests, these are obviously not Daitsuke's men." comes the reply from the thinnest of them all. "Alright, you're here to talk, do so. Whats this about our proper lord. How did you find this camp?"

Canada_jezus on