As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Freedom's Most Wanted

DMACDMAC Come at me, bro!Moderator mod
edited January 2009 in Artist's Corner
It's been a while since I've started a thread here. So much of my work these days is freelance stuff that I can't post until after it's published. Not much I can do to incorporate feedback but I wanted to share. Anyway, there's a new villain sourcebook for the Mutants & Masterminds RPG in stores now called Freedom's Most Wanted that I did 6 illustrations for.

Here's my process for Trawler, an underwater power armor using bad guy:

Rough marker drawing:
trawlerrough.jpg

Pencils:
trawler3.jpg

Inks and flat colors:
trawler4.jpg

Final colors:
trawler5.jpg

The armor was loosely based on the New Universe Spitfire armor. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SpitfireTroubleshooters1.jpg

Big bulky armor but not into the realm of giant mechs. I also tried to incorporate some crab parts and think about vents and jets for maneuvering underwater.

I should find the notebook I did my rough work in and scan some of the other designs I did...

More to come.

DMAC on

• Options
    Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Not to turn this into an interview thread, but how many hours a day do you draw DMAC?

Arden Canelo on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Where do you see yourself in five years?

NotASenator on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2009
    oh sweet new dmac stuff

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    logic7logic7 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    wow. I used to have the first 10 issues of Spitfire and the Troubleshooters. Liked DP7 and Starbrand more tho.

Cool pic too. Looks better than Spitfire.

logic7 on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited January 2009
    Not to turn this into an interview thread, but how many hours a day do you draw DMAC?

Well, my day job involves doing concept drawings for signs, murals, and 3-D props so I'm drawing for 6-7 hours most weekdays and then I go home and do freelance work in the evenings and on weekends. The only problem is that the stuff for work pretty much requires the same sort of clean readable style so there really isn't too much room to experiment and try new things. That's why I like doing the freelance stuff (and occasionally just stuff for fun.)
    NotACrook wrote: »
    Where do you see yourself in five years?

Doing your... son?

DMAC on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2009
    seriously, dmac, you've got clean and readable down.

your linework and rendering is ridiculously enviable. You are a beautiful draftsman.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    ok, this is a terribly nitpicky thing, but I look at this stuff from an engineering standpoint.

It looks like the edge of the right shoulder cover plate is rotated a bit so that it is currently under the edge of the chest plate. It seems that if the shoulder rotated or yawed at all, it would at the least rub against the chest plate.

On the left arm, from the angle we have, it seems to be clear of obstruction there.

My nitpicking is now concluded.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Eh. Just a tangent of the two lines. It's not behind the chest plate, there's no overlap.

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    That makes perfect sense then.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I try to think about stuff like that too but I don't take it too far. It's still only "comic book realistic".

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I tend to see things like that in the sense of how I would build it (probably out of LEGO).

But I think the whole thing looks really technically sound.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I was gonna say that those rough markers were cool but then I saw the pencils and finished colors. Goddamn that shits ca-razy.

I'm just gonna look at that shit for awhile, if thats alright.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Thanks, man.

Here's another pencil/finished piece combo for a character called The Red Death. This is actually a woman wearing a costume to disguise her gender so I sort of drew it with that in mind: sketching in female proportions for the base and then adding muscle armor to make the figure more masculine.

reddeath1.jpg

reddeath3.jpg

DMAC on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    last one's colors remind me of darth maul.

NakedZergling on