As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I got [chat]!

• Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    Passerbye wrote: »
    That's pretty cool. I've never done much baking (pound cake, flat bread, cookies), and all of it was from recipes or a tube.

Many years in the restaurant business both in and out of school comes in handy at times.

Still, working as a patisserie rather than a line cook is a bit more than just 'years in the restaurant biz'.

I'm far from a patisserie. I spent plenty of time as a line cook but most of my time was spent working management.

Ugh, I'd never want to work in management.

Which sucks, 'cause I may be helping my friend run a gaming store/restaurant in a few years.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Plagiarism is an excuse in academia to create busy work and keep professors from having to do any actual teaching.

That was one of my issues in the H/A post where the guy said he turns the same papers into multiple classes and receives high grades on them.

what kind of classes does he have that he can do that?

i couldn't do that with any of my history classes

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Today is a great day: I sold one of my pre-written papers to some bloke who was having some psychological issues and the greatest part is that I copied most of the paper out of some crappy thesis that I found in the university library. I charged him double because he seemed really pathetic.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    yalborap wrote: »
    Today is a historic day: I might've gotten a subject for my photographic project.
    Nude self-portraits?
    Portraits, but not self or nude.
    Where's the fun in that?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Richy wrote: »
    So today is a historic day: I caught my first student plagiarizing.

That's always disappointing. :(
    What's disappointing is that I was genuinely impressed at his work, until I realized he was plagiarizing.

I taught a summer course on chainmail at UH a couple years ago (on the request and technically under the guidance of my large scale casting prof) and had a student turn in a chapter of a historical arms book for their final paper. When I asked them to meet with me I just showed them my copy of the book. The thing was, they were smart enough to have done a fine job on the paper without plagiarizing. I think that was the most disappointing part.

What excuse did your student give?
    I'm meeting with him tomorrow. I'll let you know then.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    made soooo many mistakes but still got a guilty verdict

lucky me

Medopine on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Today is a historic day: I might've gotten a subject for my photographic project.
    Nude self-portraits?
    Portraits, but not self or nude.
    Where's the fun in that?

Lots, if you're not a cock.

BURN!

yalborap on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Medopine wrote: »

lucky me
    Unlucky guy.

Well, I guess he can always shoot for a mistrial.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm meeting with him tomorrow. I'll let you know then.

Hopefully it'll be something understandable (though still not excusable), like 'I have a lot of stress and I panicked' rather than 'I'm a lazy bum'.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

lucky me
    Congrats, Medo. I don't think there's a trial lawyer in the country who gets through a case without making mistakes. :P

What was the case?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

lucky me

Yay medo!

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2009
    Elki wrote: »
    Today is a historic day: I did my first jazz walk.
    Does that involve jazz hands?

No, and I don't think I'll be doing any. We (guys) did some variations of what the girls were doing at different points to accent what they were doing. Fists on hips rather than arms, for example. I think it was to emphasize our masculinity.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009

lucky me
    Unlucky guy.

Well, I guess he can always shoot for a mistrial.
    If there's a guilty verdict, it's too late for a mistrial.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Server is the funnest job at a restaurant. Old gay men and women have the best stories and love me.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

lucky me

Congratulations. :)

Passerbye on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Plagiarism is an excuse in academia to create busy work and keep professors from having to do any actual teaching.

I don't understand. So should it not be punished, or it doesn't happen, or what? I'm intrigued.

It shouldn't be punished as harshly as it is and professors should give assignments that inherently require more independent thought and less regurgitation.

Clarification: I've read Thanatos' rant on this subject and I largely agreed with him.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited January 2009

lucky me
    Congrats, Medo. I don't think there's a trial lawyer in the country who gets through a case without making mistakes. :P

What was the case?

criminal mischief 2

threw his ex(at the time) girlfriend's cell phone out of the window of a moving car, then he broke it in half

she was totally freaked out at the time

she tried to tank us today but apparently it didn't work

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Today is a historic day: I did my first jazz walk.
    Does that involve jazz hands?
    No, and I don't think I'll be doing any. We (guys) did some variations of what the girls were doing at different points to accent what they were doing. Fists on hips rather than arms, for example. I think it was to emphasize our masculinity.
    You're doing something called "jazz walking," and they're trying to emphasize masculinity with hand placement?

That's like bringing a glass of wine to a forest fire.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

lucky me

Does the feeling you get from serving justice transmute into some sort of ineffable satisfaction? I'd imagine serving justice would create some palpable sensation.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So me and my brother have a Rock Band 2 band.

I am Kurdt Kobain on guitar, he is David Gröhl on drums, and together we are The Nirvanas.

I am going to go play now.

James on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

lucky me

Does the feeling you get from serving justice transmute into some sort of ineffable satisfaction? I'd imagine serving justice would create some palpable sensation.

Mostly it manifests in the form of high fives

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Feral wrote: »

I don't understand. So should it not be punished, or it doesn't happen, or what? I'm intrigued.
    It shouldn't be punished as harshly as it is and professors should give assignments that inherently require more independent thought and less regurgitation.

Clarification: I've read Thanatos' rant on this subject and I largely agreed with him.
    Indeed.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

I wouldn't say getting a slap on the wrist and some credit taken away is a particularly harsh punishment.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

lucky me

Fuck, I don't care if my life is guaranteed to be miserable right after graduating law school, I want to high-five a bunch of lawyers!

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

lucky me

The best kind of fives.

I prefer the top gun variation.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

lucky me

So you get back in the office and the stodgy white guys are like "Hey high 5 female companion who's tits we stare at way way too often."

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    They should separate teaching and research, and professors shouldn't be required to do both unless they show aptitude for both.

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    D: Hakks is sucking the bandwidth out of my neck like some kind of vampire. Girl's wacko.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

lucky me

What was the case?
    criminal mischief 2

threw his ex(at the time) girlfriend's cell phone out of the window of a moving car, then he broke it in half

Did you get to treat her as hostile under direct?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ohh Medo throwing the book at people in court.

How much do the tickets cost to see this?

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    D: Hakks is sucking the bandwidth out of my neck like some kind of vampire. Girl's wacko.

She had to take a break from sucking other things out of ... other things.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That's pretty cool. I've never done much baking (pound cake, flat bread, cookies), and all of it was from recipes or a tube.

Many years in the restaurant business both in and out of school comes in handy at times.

Still, working as a patisserie rather than a line cook is a bit more than just 'years in the restaurant biz'.

I'm far from a patisserie. I spent plenty of time as a line cook but most of my time was spent working management.

Ugh, I'd never want to work in management.

Which sucks, 'cause I may be helping my friend run a gaming store/restaurant in a few years.

I'm just a management type person. I love to lead.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I wouldn't say getting a slap on the wrist and some credit taken away is a particularly harsh punishment.

Typically, you can be kicked out of a school for plagiarism.

James on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

She had to take a break from sucking other things out of ... other things.

:winky::?:

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

lucky me

What was the case?
    criminal mischief 2

here's the awesome part

so we called the 911 dispatcher, played the 911 tape
    called the officer, got her statements to him in

then...we rested

defense gets all flustered
    then he calls her
    then we cross her and get to ask her about her conviction for hindering prosecution

boom

Medopine on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wow, that's funny, Medo.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited January 2009
    here's the awesome part

so we called the 911 dispatcher, played the 911 tape
    called the officer, got her statements to him in

then...we rested

defense gets all flustered
    then he calls her
    then we cross her and get to ask her about her conviction for hindering prosecution

boom
    How the hell did you get her statements to the cop in? Excited utterance? Or declaration against interests?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Excited utterance

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    James wrote: »

I don't consider that a particularly harsh punishment either, though it's not something I would personally choose to do. Intellectual property theft is serious, especially so in university when you can actually do something to change the student's behavior.

I do agree that changes should be made in what assignments are given and what expectations are placed on students, though.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    James wrote: »

Yeah. And from a systemic, rather than an individual point of view, if an institution is having a repeated problem with plagiarism, rather than cracking down harder on the students committing it maybe they should re-evaluate whether or not the assignments they're giving are really promoting learning.

Feral on

This discussion has been closed.