As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

F.E.A.R. 2 out this week: YOU CAN STILL KICK PEOPLE IN THE FACE

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This game is pure death on the eyes.

Also, why the hell can ghosts hurt you?

UnbreakableVow on
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Magic. Obviously.

Actually, because if they did the same thing that they did in FEAR, and had spookies that can't actually hurt you, it would be pretty damn retarded.

I just hope that Alma is actually a threat at more than one point in the game this time. Really, seriously, honestly. Make it a QTE if you have to, just make her DO something.

Rainfall on
  • SepahSepah Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Mmm. Feels like Fear gunplay. And Fear gibs as well.

Alma still scares the shit out of me because I refuse to once again be taken by surprise at the points where she can actually kill me.

So anytime they flash her up, anytime I see or hear her, I will train myself to spray bullets like a spastic with a minigun.

Only one disappointing thing... no dual pistols.

Sepah on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    How's the shotgun? I'm downloading it now, but I'm interested to hear impressions about that. It's pretty much the most important aspect of the game for me apart from kicking.

-SPI- on
    edited January 2009
    The shotgun isn't quite as meaty as it was in the original FEAR, effects-wise. As far as gibbing your foes and in general being the best weapon?
    Hell yes.

Sepah, there were no pistols at all! I would not be shocked if they had dual pistols show up in the full game.

Rainfall on
  • DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    There was at least one time in FEAR 1 where she can kill you. I certainly died there the first time due to the above.

That is the thing though, I am sure it gets most people because the game sets you up with this rule that Alma is going to try and scare you, then disappear. All through the game its surprise appearance/mind fuck. Then at a point or two its ZOMG Alma can kill me, load game, shoot Alma, continue to mind fuck. She is not even that hard on the occasions you have to deal with her.

I remember Undying, and I think of the flayed guy, chained up in the room missing his jaw. He would routinely appear and try and kill you. You knew you couldn't kill him because he was a ghost, and the only way to put his spirit to rest was to deal with his physical form. When he appeared you had to find ways to deal with him, and it was satisfying when you finally get to deal with his physical form and know you were done with this SOB for good.

That, I think, is another problem. You do not hurt or inconvenience Alma in any way. She goes about her merry way doing whatever it is she wants to do, and you follow her around watching/finding her latest atrocity against random person X.

Detharin on
  • mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I actually love the shit out of FEAR 2. It scared me quite a lot (alone, in my room, volume pumped, lights off) Works well.

I love the gameplay a lot more now because the game isnt "Ok....since theyre impossible to actually shoot without slow-motion...." *waits* "ok its full" *uses slow-mo, kills, hides, rinse, repeat* I dont know, in FEAR I just couldnt fight without slow-mo, it felt too fast paced and I just could not for the life of me kill them without it.

In FEAR 2 its a bit slower so it works out nicely. Also, I jumped a few times and freaked out a couple times, and overall Id say this game demo scared me a lot more compared to the original FEAR. People kept saying that game was so damn scary and then I played it and was disappointed. Not by the gameplay but by the scaryness of it all.

The part that made me scream "HOLY SHIT FUCK!" and pause the game was when
    you open that door from the (theatre?) and shes RIGHT fucking there and grabs you then disappears. I freaked the fuck out.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Nothing in the demo freaked me out (although the spoiler above was pretty cool). That's just fine with me; I didn't play FEAR for the scares and freakouts, I played it to KICK DUDES IN THE FACE AND MAKE THEM EXPLODE IN BLOODY CHUNKS IN SLOW MOTION.

Thus, I am content with what I've played of FEAR 2.

Zxerol on
  • mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Nothing in the demo freaked me out (although the spoiler above was pretty cool). That's just fine with me; I didn't play FEAR for the scares and freakouts, I played it to KICK DUDES IN THE FACE AND MAKE THEM EXPLODE IN BLOODY CHUNKS IN SLOW MOTION.

Thus, I am content with what I've played of FEAR 2.

Your words made too much sense. I hate you.
    I love bloody chunks of explosiony awesome

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Sepah, there were no pistols at all! I would not be shocked if they had dual pistols show up in the full game.

Oh, they're there. You get them when you set the Replicas on FIRE. They drop their main gun, stop drop and roll and then grab their sidearm to come back after you, at which point you can SET THEM ON FIRE AGAIN and take their pistol.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    edited January 2009
    Oooooh. I gotta do this again, then.

But no dual pistols makes Rainfall a sad panda.

Rainfall on
  • Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Also, its nice to see Monolith re-using the Minigun sound effect from Blood 2 for the Mechs main guns...

I loved that game

Mr Bubbles on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Fiziks wrote: »

I was pleasantly surprised to find I could still kick open doors.

YES!

This is the one feature from the expansion packs that I wanted and they delivered.

Nothing makes you feel awesome like kicking open a door straight into a firefight and dispensing with the slow motion hot lead.

subedii on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ;-;

This makes me sad because all I can think of now is how awesome it would be to have a new western mech combat game on the pc.

Even slightly less giant than normal robots would do nicely.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I really didn't expect to like the demo as much as I did. It hasn't pulled a Valkyria Chronicles and bumped any other games off my 'must-buy' list, but it's moved it into a much more prominent place on my radar.

Shooting ghosts didn't do much for me, but I liked the graphics, I liked the art direction, I liked the Horror Shooter Thing, which no other FPS really seems into these days. I recall, back when I played the FEAR 1 demo on my old PC (long, long time ago) that a lot of the "scary imagery" was much more clean, much more iconic - but still... this demo's got me interested in the F.E.A.R. brand, at least.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Actually the art direction, from the 360 at least, really disappoints me.

Now, true, everyone complained that the environments were hells of recycled in FEAR 1. But the damn game had atmosphere, you could tell where the soldiers were, and when a grenade exploded, you could fucking TELL.

FEAR 2 looks like a generic futuristic FPS to me, I can't tell where the hell I threw my grenades, the soldiers all blend into the environment to the point that apparently they have to make them LIGHT UP WHEN YOU TURN ON SLOW-MOTION and they have to make all the weapons and power-ups be outlined by "future HUD 2.5".

Oh, and the 360 controls feel terrible... maybe I'm spoiled from KBAM for this game. The demo will probably kill my machine, though.

DarkPrimus on
  • scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I dunno.. they ARE in combat and I would imagine they want to blend in.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
    edited January 2009
    It's bad game design to make it so you literally cannot see who is shooting you from 20-30 feet away in an indoors environment unless you use "slo-mo super power".

DarkPrimus on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    But desaturated grey is realistic.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My biggest issue was probably adding the information files into a separate program. It was much easier to listen to the voice recordings on the go. Having to open up a text file slows down the pace of the game.

The combat didn't feel quite as fluid as the original's, but the sniping was beautiful, so that makes up for it.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • WibodWibod Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You can get pistols by lighting a dude on fire and waiting till he rolls himself out. He'll draw a pistol and shoot at you if he dropped his weapon farther away. No dual pistols though which is :(

Wibod on
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ah, a fun demo, finished it last night.

I love the lighting, and the atmosphere is pretty great, but I'm worried that this demo will be like the demo for F.E.A.R. Short, but full to the brim with thrills and jump-out-at-you moments, where the game was longer, with all those moments at the beginning and the end. I'm not sure this will be a definite purchase, if that is the case.

Icemopper on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Basil wrote: »
    ;-;

This makes me sad because all I can think of now is how awesome it would be to have a new western mech combat game on the pc.

Even slightly less giant than normal robots would do nicely.

Slightly off topic, but InstantAction just put up a mech game in the last few weeks. I haven't tried it yet to see how it is. I wouldn't expect anything close to the mech games of yesteryear, but it's nice of them to put something out.

Re: FEAR, this reminds me I never finished the first one. I should go back and do that.

citizen059 on
  • milathmilath Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My feelings on this are pretty 'eh'. I loved the first one. This seems fun, yes. I enjoyed the power armor. And it was relatively jump inducing. The Alma attack was unnerving for sure...

I'm not too keen on the gfx style though. The blood looks... shiny? I dunno.. Not very good imho. As was mentioned in a previous post, the soldiers blend into the background pretty often too which is rather annoying when you're in the power armor and getting shot at by enemies you can't really see.

Also, I'm not sure why but the game seems to stutter right before an encounter with soldiers or ghosts/visions of Alma. Normally, I'd chalk this up to my computer being behind the times, but I remember that the first game did the exact same thing to me.

In the end, I'll still be buying it. I'm just a bit disappointed with some of the design choices. But overall, it seems like a fun game, and I'm very interested to see more of the story.

I'm just rather upset they chose to end the demo
    in the middle of a goddamn fucking kickass power armor fight!
    Gah! :P

milath on
    steam_sig.png
    "No.. I was wrong. This must be what going mad feels like."

• Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have to go with Primus and say the console versions are not as good as the PC version. Maybe I'm biased (I wouldn't think so since I enjoyed CoD4 a whole lot more on the 360), but the controls felt a lot less responsive on the console.

Which actually made me realize the combat is a lot less hectic this time around. In fact, enemies aren't flanking me as often as they were in FEAR. They kind of just run up to me and hope I die which is rather stupid since you can outlast them (at least at normal).

Maybe I'm reading too much into this. I'll have to look at the first FEAR to see if I'm just trying to fault the game for no good reason. The mech battle, however, is sweet. I don't think I've played a game with one since Riddick for the PC.

Shady3011 on
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Is there an MP demo of this?

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Is there an MP demo of this?

Unfortunately, no.

Shady3011 on
  • SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Downloaded and finished the demo. The bit with the EPA was great and makes me agree with whomever else was pining for a good modern mech game. The rest of it...meh. Criticisms spoilered for size and some other reason that escapes me:
    1. There's something about the combat that just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The recoil for guns just seems extremily...amplified, I guess - even when crouched and sight-aiming it's like I can only get three or so shots before I'm completily off the mark. Maybe it's because I get this feeling that the recoil's sending you all over the place instead of up and a bit to the right that irks me. Then there's this feeling of my shots not really having any impact until the enemy's health count ticks down to zero, though that might be a part of the recoil thing I mentioned.

2. Count me aboard the "the graphical style sucks" boat - the problem with FEAR 1 was the repetition of of the warehouse/office/laboratory style over and over and over again, not the W/O/L styles themselves, and now it's just this dull, grey, worn-out, crapsack mess with dull, grey, worn-out, crapsack clones running around in it. Ugh.

3. To be honest, the whole "horror" aspect of it started to wear thin after that one hallway in the school. Ooooh, dead bloody bodies hanging around and the walls and floors and ceilings splattered with blood, ooooh, ghooooosts, ooooh, the little psychic girl is angry, ooooh, random split-second jump-out rape scenes. It just seems so forced and generally uninspired,
    Then again, this is coming from someone who found the first game completily mediocre, so take it as you will.

Sorenson on
  • riposte101riposte101 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Just played through the demo and I thought it was a lot of fun. I'm never really disappointed by Monolith though. Who else here wants a new Shogo?

riposte101 on
  • MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I enjoyed it. I'm going to have to go through it again to finally decide if I prefer the PS3 version or the 360 version. Seemed similar enough.

My main complaint is the flashlight. Didn't seem to be that effective.

I found the flashbacks more interesting than the jump scares. But, I do have to admit to loosing a round or 20 everytime I saw Alma.

I did feel like I wanted to yell into the character's mic "NO! Don't follow the crying lady, she will rip your head off and stuff it in a toilet!" at my squadmates.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Maybe the new point man is mute. Or an idiot. Or both.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The thing I loved about the original FEAR was the AI. So damn good.

Is it nearly as good in FEAR 2?

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Maybe the new point man is mute. Or an idiot. Or both.

Well, in the original game, he never spoke, as I recall.

I know it's all supposed to be "immersion" and all that, but damn it, when (DEMO Spoiler)
    I heard the squadmate say "I know why she's crying. They took her babies," I just about yelled "Run run run, She's EVIL!" knowing he was doomed. Which he shortly thereafter was....all over the place. And hearing a second squadmate start talking about hearing a lady crying? Oh hell, here we go again.

I'll chalk up the non-warning of teammates to his comms being knocked out by the blast/crash.

After thinking about the two events I mentioned above in the SPOILER section, I'm inclined to think this demo wasn't a linear level. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a couple of sections from different levels in the game linked up just to show off the combat, horror, and mech combat sections all in one experience. I guess we'll see in a little while.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    riposte101 wrote: »
    Just played through the demo and I thought it was a lot of fun. I'm never really disappointed by Monolith though. Who else here wants a new Shogo?

That would appear to be most of the rest of the thread so far.

subedii on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

I don't see why it wouldn't be, but I don't think the demo shows it off as well as it needs.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Adhesive to plasticAdhesive to plastic Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Sepah, there were no pistols at all!

YEs there are. Make you enemies drop their guns and they pull out side arms.

Adhesive to plastic on
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Same thing for me. Last night that I played through the demo once, none of the fights seemed as fun as FEAR 1's.

Satsumomo on
    edited January 2009
    I mean it's possible that the demo is just set up using shitty parts of the game where the AI can't path worth a damn, but if that's true why did they put that in the demo, when in the demo for the first FEAR game they picked out setpieces that specifically would show off the different awesome things their AI could do?

It's like they decided to take a step forward to mediocrity while taking a few steps back from what differentiated them in the first place.

DarkPrimus on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2009
    Detharin wrote: »
    I remember Undying, and I think of the flayed guy, chained up in the room missing his jaw. He would routinely appear and try and kill you. You knew you couldn't kill him because he was a ghost, and the only way to put his spirit to rest was to deal with his physical form. When he appeared you had to find ways to deal with him, and it was satisfying when you finally get to deal with his physical form and know you were done with this SOB for good.

Shit, that guy. D:

Clive Barker's Clive Barker's Undying (by Clive Barker) was a pretty damn scary game. Even after you got the insta-gibbing scythe.

Echo on
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I really enjoyed the demo. I've seen many complaints here about the sound effects of the guns, but I thought they sounded great. I'm looking forward to the full game quite a bit!

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51