As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

1up.com sold to UGO/Hearst; EGM shut down. Yes, the podcasts too.

• Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I’d argue the post production work is the most important part of any podcast. For a PA forum podcast to work you’d definitely need someone dedicated to doing all that work. Having said that; I’d totally be down for participating in a podcast like that.

Oh, and Skype is free Snugglesworth.

AJR on
    Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't think post-production would be all that difficult. Anyone with a copy of Audacity should be able to fuck around with it until it sounds decent.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Half the production of a podcast is getting it right when recording. No background noise, decent matching levels in both channels. On a good day producing our podcast takes just over an hour for an hour show, because all I have to do is bias the left/right channels for each person and listen through to check everything flows well and we're not talking about stuff we shouldn't.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    Editing sounds easy.

When you're actually doing it though? You want to stab someone in the face.

when I was editing the Platformers podcast, my high score was something like edited out 156 'uhs' and about 78 general edits. Now remember after every edit you also have to listen to it, so you can see if your edit worked. Add on people's affinity to wanting to take a break in the middle of a cast and I had to go look for the beginning and the end of the break.

However, the best editing is when people don't realize it's been edited. There was one cast where it wouldn't have been worth posting to the internet, but I sat down for an entire day and whipped that bitch into shape, changing the pace of conversations, etc.

tl;dr, there's a reason why I suggest making it short.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I used to do a lot of audio and video editing when I worked a little in video production, I could probably help out with this.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I realize we seem to have moved on to another topic, but there is a LONG Blog post by Sam Kennedy today detailing some of what happened, etc.

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8978290&publicUserId=4561231

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Editing sounds easy.

When you're actually doing it though? You want to stab someone in the face.

when I was editing the Platformers podcast, my high score was something like edited out 156 'uhs' and about 78 general edits. Now remember after every edit you also have to listen to it, so you can see if your edit worked. Add on people's affinity to wanting to take a break in the middle of a cast and I had to go look for the beginning and the end of the break.

However, the best editing is when people don't realize it's been edited. There was one cast where it wouldn't have been worth posting to the internet, but I sat down for an entire day and whipped that bitch into shape, changing the pace of conversations, etc.

tl;dr, there's a reason why I suggest making it short.

You did a good job with them. I enjoyed the Platformers podcasts and, not being a visitor to the actual website, was confused when the RSS feed failed to reveal any more episodes at some point early last year.

Speaking of podcasts, Ryan Scott is putting together his own podcast, which should be up later this week: http://www.geekbox.net/
    Ryan Scott wrote:
    Tune in late this Friday (or possibly early Saturday, depending on how things work out), where you’ll be able to download the first of what will hopefully be many episodes of Geekbox Radio, an all-new gaming audio podcast from some of the talented ex-1UP personalities who brought you shows like GFW Radio, Legendary Thread, and Sports Anomaly (I don’t want to let the cat out of the bag yet as far as who’s appearing — you’ll have to tune in to find out!). With any luck, it might even be good. ;-)

I suspect Robert Ashley will be on that podcast.

SteevL on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm guessing he got Jeff Green to make an appearance, or he wouldn't be so coy about it, but we'll see. I'm looking forward to it at any rate.

Edit: Anyone know what happened to Sean Molloy? I haven't heard anything from him since he left, not even in connection to this whole debacle. Didn't he join Blizzard or something?

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, he left for Blizzard. The GFW guys didn't seem to know exactly what he was doing there, but they thought it involved writing stuff for the WoW website. Perhaps some of the lore stuff.

SteevL on
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sean Molloy posted on Jeff Green's blog after this all went down: "This is just so sad. Immense respect and major condolences to my now-ex-1UP friends and colleagues." Nothing big, but at least he's been in touch.

I'm glad that Ryan is starting a podcast, and frankly a little surprised that he's the one to do it, but I guess hosting LAN Party agreed with him.

elevature on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    No posts? Well, Rebel FM episode 2 is out, and it's of significantly better quality than the first episode. They can go far with this thing.

Shane is going to Ignition Entertainment, which is not a big company, but a totally awesome one. They have been the major force in publishing SNK's games in Europe. They've just published Metal Slug 7 DS, and they are going to be handling the English version of King of Fighters XII later this year.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »
    No posts? Well, Rebel FM episode 2 is out, and it's of significantly better quality than the first episode. They can go far with this thing.

Shane is going to Ignition Entertainment, which is not a big company, but a totally awesome one. They have been the major force in publishing SNK's games in Europe. They've just published Metal Slug 7 DS, and they are going to be handling the English version of King of Fighters XII later this year.

What's he doing there?

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Shane's Executive somethingorother. And yeah, really enjoyed this week's RFM.

I kinda wish they would call it Rebel Talk FM so it would be RTFM :P

Willeth on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Thetheroo wrote: »

What's he doing there?

Trolling Nintendo at business meetings instead of on podcasts?

HEEYOOOOOOOOOOO

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

What's he doing there?

"Director of Business Development". Choosing what games they publish and the like.

And apparently it's in Southern California, so he could potentially appear on podcasts again.

Cherrn on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So, looks like there are now a total of three established websites for former 1up folks.

1.) www.eat-sleep-game.com, home of RebelFM which will be on its third podcast this week.
    2.) www.geekbox.net, Ryan Scott's page which just put up their first podcast last week.
    3.) http://area5.tv, the former 1up Show guys' site with their first new show:

CO-OP

I haven't watched this one yet, but look forward to it.

So far, though, I've been pleased with the stuff everyone's been doing. They definitely jumped right in.

Also, James Mielke is back at 1up.

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Both Rebel FM and Geekbox are both pretty good. Geekbox maintains some of the old GFW rambling, which works well with the cast. However, Rebel FM is a tad bit better.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Good to see that all three branches are getting so much attention. Though Geekbox sadly lacked any of the traditional podcasters. I had hoped Robert Ashley would join them at least, but maybe later.

I'm going to watch Co-op later, but I'll say right now that if they want to charge for it, they should've done so from the beginning. Charging for it later will just cause a backlash. I would probably pay for it, assuming it's not that expensive, but I think the $12.000 in donations has shown that you probably could finance the show by way of HD-content and/or merchandise.

Cherrn on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I thought the 1UP Show guys became http://talkingorange.com/ ?

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Willeth wrote: »
    I thought the 1UP Show guys became http://talkingorange.com/ ?

I think that's just the temporary site which belongs, I think, to Matt Chandronait.

SteevL on
  • Options
    MithrusMithrus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Couldn't care less about those sites, but I've always been interested in the podcast. Guess it's too late to get into in now.

Mithrus on
    getwriters.jpg
    Send a pm my way if you're interested.
  • Options
    KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The final 1up Yours went in up today, clocking in at a whopping 3 and a 1/2 hours.

EDIT: Whoops forgot the dl link. Also, Luke Smith returns for this last one.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • Options
    TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Kuratosu wrote: »
    The final 1up Yours went in up today, clocking in at a whopping 3 and a 1/2 hours.

Link?
    I loved 1up Yours, but I am excited to see the new companies that spawned in the wake

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Do any of the new companies have audio-only podcasts? Listening to gaming podcasts during class is always a good distraction.

Sir Platypus on
  • Options
    LukinLukin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Do any of the new companies have audio-only podcasts? Listening to gaming podcasts during class is always a good distraction.

Yes, sir. You want Rebel FM at eat-sleep-game.com and Geekbox at geekbox.net. More are to come. I think Robert Ashley from the Brodeo is planning an audio podcast.

Lukin on
    cancer.jpg
  • Options
    TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Both geekbox and rebel.fm are audio only.

TheSuperWoot on
  • Options
    ParkingtigersParkingtigers Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Well, RebelFM plus the YouTube channel means I still get my hit of gaming info. Looks like the new owners really did shoot themselves in the foot, because I'm still getting my gaming content, but from the guys that no longer work for them. I just hope the new projects get enough audience critical mass that they can make a living out of it. I'm very impressed with the way they just kept on going, sure would be nice if some gaming companies took advantage of the situation and spammed some advertising into the new sites. Everyone that signed up for the new podcasts and sites must by definition be a hardcore gamer, getting your stuff in front of these people has to be a good thing.

Parkingtigers on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] sig.gif
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    CO-OP is eerie. The colors and sound are cold and unsettling not unlike the movie Primer.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Kuratosu wrote: »

Link?
    I loved 1up Yours, but I am excited to see the new companies that spawned in the wake

This one's the old crew. The fab four, etc. If you want the new guys that's next week.
    Garnett cries three times.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Going back to listen to the 'wrecking your shit with math' vintage 1uY when Luke Smith was a regular.

Man they need a bungie podcast again. that guy is funny.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The Bungie podcast is still going but sporadic. I'm subscribed so whenever there is a new one, I just get it.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It's mainly because there is no Bungie product out. Smith mentioned he has been shifted internally to core writing staff anyways while there is no PR or marketing to handle.

I'd imagine when Recon is near launch we will hear nothing but Bungie this and Bungie that.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Going back to listen to the 'wrecking your shit with math' vintage 1uY when Luke Smith was a regular.

'Wrecking shit with math' was from Shawn Elliot and he said it well after Luke had left (off the top of my head it was after Mark and John left and they were looking for 3rd/4th chair replacements).

Anyway, really great podcast. I didn't really mind the length since it was the last 1UP Yours we'll get for a LONG time (assuming they even reunite eventually).

Also, Co-op's great but I'm kinda concerned what they'll do after the GOTY wrap-up. They don't have the same access to early previews and interviews that they did at 1UP so what are they going to cover? Games after release? When everyone else is playing them too?

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited January 2009

'Wrecking shit with math' was from Shawn Elliot and he said it well after Luke had left (off the top of my head it was after Mark and John left and they were looking for 3rd/4th chair replacements).

Anyway, really great podcast. I didn't really mind the length since it was the last 1UP Yours we'll get for a LONG time (assuming they even reunite eventually).

Also, Co-op's great but I'm kinda concerned what they'll do after the GOTY wrap-up. They don't have the same access to early previews and interviews that they did at 1UP so what are they going to cover? Games after release? When everyone else is playing them too?

Actually I was listening to the 1uY 'best of' compilation. There was a best of the brodeo floating around but I cant find that. its on rapidshare somewhere.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

No, wrecking shit with math was definitely Luke Smith, I remember it well.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It was Luke Smith talking to Shawn about Il-2 Sturmovik IIRC.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

Really? Shit, where did all that time go?

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Really? Shit, where did all that time go?

I know what you mean. It's nearly 2 years since he left 1up, 4 years since 1uY began.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It's so weird how much people talk about the "golden era" of 1up Yours. I didn't start listening until the tail end of 2007 and I enjoyed it a lot, but apparently I missed out on the really good stuff.

SteevL on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

No, wrecking shit with math was definitely Luke Smith, I remember it well.

You're wrong.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]