As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The DONE! let's play of Clive Barkers Undying

SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Games and Technology
I'm sure you remember my last one, the one with over 1000 screenshots then all the sses disappeared.

Well it's video this time and I'm still getting used to fraps so expect some ah mistakes, already got some pointers from helloween (thanks again buddy) anyway you don't want to hear me go on, let's get started.

clivebarkersundying_2.jpg

Stolen from wiki-

Clive Barker's Undying is a horror-themed first-person shooter video game based on the Unreal Tournament game engine. It was developed by DreamWorks Interactive, and released in 2001 by Electronic Arts. Noted horror author Clive Barker was consulted in shaping the game's plot and background story and also provided the voice of Ambrose, a character in the game.

Undying follows the adventures of 1920s Irish paranormal adventurer Patrick Galloway as he investigates the mysterious occult happenings at the estate of his friend Jeremiah Covenant.

The game begins in 1923 , after World War I veteran Patrick Galloway receives an urgent letter from his friend Jeremiah Covenant. Covenant, well aware of Galloway's reputation for dealing with occult matters, is in failing health and raves about a curse that has destroyed his entire family. Galloway travels to the Covenant estate on the coast of Ireland to visit his friend, who relates an outlandish tale of supernatural terrors.-

I'll just use Dailymotion til it starts giving me trouble, then put it on youtube and Daily.

I'll let you watch the cutscenes in peace like Helloween does, as it's a good idea.

Yes I know my voice sucks. I hate it too.

Videos!

Daily Motion

SkutSkut on

• Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm pretty interested in this, although I have serious difficulty hearing you talk over the game's own audio.

Rhan9 on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    I'm pretty interested in this, although I have serious difficulty hearing you talk over the game's own audio.

Yes, I've tripled mic audio for the next set though I may max it, shouldn't make me so difficult to hear, Helloween also suggest making better titles for the movies, and I'm inclined to agree. I just wanted to get this started, what I get for rushing.

The games brightness is maxxed too, don't think I can get it any brighter than it is.

SkutSkut on
  • HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    A good start but yeah as you've been told, mic volume needs to go up (which you said your sorting, thats cool).

This does look really good am I'm looking forward to the next set. Also that woman's accent is awful. Sorry lady you are not british...ugh.

Helloween on
    See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Terrible fake accents are the spice of life! Well, real accents are the spice of life, and terrible fake accents are like a somewhat crappier spice, but... Yeah, I have no idea where I'm going with this.

Rhan9 on
    edited January 2009
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    Terrible fake accents are the spice of life! Well, real accents are the spice of life, and terrible fake accents are like a somewhat crappier spice, but... Yeah, I have no idea where I'm going with this.

Fake accents are like the spice you get at the bottom of the packet, all hard and dirty.

'alright guvnah! you 'ere tah see jerimayahhh?'

Having never played this though the story looks really interesting. I'm glad you dont talk over the cutscenes :D

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • VerrVerr Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Silly Helloween, everyone knows your not really British, you're obviously faking that accent.

Verr on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That's it. Finally a game that's old enough to be played on my PC and will make me scream like an ickle pansy girly-pants. JOY!

Big Classy on
    edited January 2009
    Big Isy wrote: »
    That's it. Finally a game that's old enough to be played on my PC and will make me scream like an ickle pansy girly-pants. JOY!

Man, howlers still scare the shit outta me sometimes. They like to sit and watch and strike when you think you're safe, though I believe those howlers are scripted.

SkutSkut on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Is this actually scarier than Dead Space? Because I found that terrifying. It actually killed my 360 D:

Big Classy on
    edited January 2009
    Is this actually scarier than Dead Space? Because I found that terrifying. It actually killed my 360 D:

I'd say they can be about the same, this definitely gets more actiony later on, but so did Dead Space. The manor and first outing are my favorite parts, and maybe the 2nd outing but it gets faster paced after that, not that that's a bad thing.

SkutSkut on
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I honestly didn't think Undying was that scary. I haven't played Dead Space, so I can't really compare, but Undying was on par with Bioshock to me (i.e. not that scary). It has an awesome "Scry" mechanic, though, that rivals Soul Reaver's astral plane in coolness. I love how things get warped (like the family portrait) when you activate the Scry. Undying is awesome, even if it is just a conventional shooter at its core.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Undying does some cool visual stuff, especially for its time, but I also don't think it's scary. Most of the atmospheric stuff is in the beginning of the game, and it all sort of goes down the drain once you start encountering monks, pirates and cavemen.

Good game, though. It has some awesome weapons (the scythe).

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
    edited January 2009
    Update, and I'm much more audible now.

Today we have ghost, howlers and bad accents. A crazy woman shows up too, and a fatass maid lies about eating a key.

SkutSkut on
    edited January 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »

Today we have ghost, howlers and bad accents. A crazy woman shows up too, and a fatass maid lies about eating a key.

Video doesn't seem to be working for me. Says it's still publishing.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • ElitistbElitistb Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This game was the biggest disappointment of my life.

No, wait, sorry, this game kicked the shit out of everything.

The subsequent failure of a sequel to materialize was the biggest disappointment of my life.

Elitistb on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2009
    Helloween wrote: »

Video doesn't seem to be working for me. Says it's still publishing.

It's working for me, weird.

SkutSkut on
  • VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This game is great! And I never even finished it! I'm all over this. Like ALL over it.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I definitely found the game scary early, but two things changed and then the game just wasn't scary anymore

- You started fighting human opponents
    - You got the ridiculously overpowered Shield spell

The game had a pretty good manual to set the mood. It was basically Jeremiah's diary, only the chapters were divided up into different segments relating to each of the family members, and each chapter ending on the same letter.

You can see it here if you want (it's the "Family Album" one).

http://www.replacementdocs.com/download.php?440.list.2.20.download_name.ASC

subedii on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This is an excellent game, and one of the few I regret never finishing.

Scary (for the time) atmospheric as hell, and a fun little shooter. I made it as far as some pirate's cave when my save got corrupted, or something, and I just wasn't interested in starting from scratch.

I really should see if I can find my disk around the apartment.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    edited January 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    I definitely found the game scary early, but two things changed and then the game just wasn't scary anymore

- You started fighting human opponents
    - You got the ridiculously overpowered Shield spell

The game had a pretty good manual to set the mood. It was basically Jeremiah's diary, only the chapters were divided up into different segments relating to each of the family members, and each chapter ending on the same letter.

You can see it here if you want (it's the "Family Album" one).

http://www.replacementdocs.com/download.php?440.list.2.20.download_name.ASC

That is awesome, I got it jewel cased with American McGees Alice, so I just got the black and white manual.

SkutSkut on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I agree. You start off fighting ghosts and demons and then you fight pirates later in the game. Demons shouldn't be easier to kill than pirates!

emnmnme on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I agree. You start off fighting ghosts and demons and then you fight pirates later in the game. Demons shouldn't be easier to kill than pirates!

Although it did gave way to a novel usage of the "Invoke" spell later on. D:

subedii on
    edited January 2009
    subedii wrote: »

Although it did gave way to a novel usage of the "Invoke" spell later on. D:

Which I will be showing off when I get it.

SkutSkut on
    edited January 2009
    Update time! Today we head underground and into a not so cozy part of the mansion. Also, loud cthulluish monsters.

We also leave the mansion for a long jaunt for the first time.

SkutSkut on
    edited January 2009
    Update time! Today we head underground and into a not so cozy part of the mansion. Also, loud cthulluish monsters.

We also leave the mansion for a long jaunt for the first time.

Those spitting monsters look like a right pain to deal with. Hate things that abscure the view.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

The hell you say. I don't know what pansy ass pirates you know of, but in the Carolinas, our pirates can chop down trees with their wangs.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
    edited January 2009
    Gyral wrote: »

The hell you say. I don't know what pansy ass pirates you know of, but in the Carolinas, our pirates can chop down trees with their wangs.

Haha, oh I get to show off invoke the next video. How awesome is that.

SkutSkut on
    edited January 2009
    New video's up, talk viewers! talk!

SkutSkut on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    "What kind of jerk throws his own bones?"

:)

emnmnme on
    edited January 2009
    Oh yea, each monster kills you uniquely so I'm filming that for a kind of bonus video, some are interesting, to say the least.

SkutSkut on
    edited January 2009
    2 new vids are up. I get the scythe! But I'll use it next video. There's fire and howlers, and ghost monks and shotgun firings, and skeletons and even Lizbeth makes a guest appereance as herself.

SkutSkut on
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    I love the whole monastary bit. One of my favorite parts in any game

this game would be cool beans if someone updated it graphically

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    20010309h.jpg

ASimPerson on
    edited January 2009
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    snip

:lol: I don't suppose I can add more than 8 vids to Daily Motion?

SkutSkut on
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This is a game in dire need of a sequel. They setup the main character in this game to have a rival. All they need to do is use him.

Krathoon on
    edited January 2009
    I got the videos recorded, need to add audio later, and once again I messed up and didn't record.

I also have the first bonus video, as I mentioned, those damn invincible skeletons.

SkutSkut on
    edited January 2009
    And it's new video time, and a bonus. I do apologize for the desyncedness of the skeleton video.

I play with the Scythe for the first time, and do the worst puzzle ever.

SkutSkut on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    A shame this isn't on Steam.

... it's not on Steam, right?

I'm pretty sure my disk has been lost to the ages, and I can't really be bothered snagged another copy unless I happen to stumble across it. But I'd totally put down five or ten dollars for it online.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    edited January 2009
    Forar wrote: »
    A shame this isn't on Steam.

... it's not on Steam, right?

I'm pretty sure my disk has been lost to the ages, and I can't really be bothered snagged another copy unless I happen to stumble across it. But I'd totally put down five or ten dollars for it online.

I don't think it is but Amazon has many copies for sale at and under $10

SkutSkut on
    edited February 2009
    New vid new vid, though the next vid will be a boss.

SkutSkut on