As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[LOTRO] Barrovian Society Wanders but is not Lost

• GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    my main characters are Glennt and Washuko.

Playing Glennt more (it was a holdover from our eq2 trial, I made a froglock named Glennt and told everyone the T was silent, the retardedness was intentional)

If anyone wants to do somethin please feel free to add me to their list. All I am doing now is trying to scrounge together enough money to buy a modest little house.

Grath on
  • blindside044blindside044 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Aldo wrote: »
    I did part of GA yesterday with a lev60. I didn't have any quests, but the shear size of the place and the beauty of it made me realise I'll have to go back some time and that I understand why no one likes the instance. It's a 3 hr ride in a low-lev instance, that's just way too long.

3 hrs is probably the max amount of time it would take with a "regular" group; it should usually be around 2hrs. I just completed the entire instance in about an hour or so, maybe hour and a half, with two high levels in the group. So yea... it's pretty fun :)

It's a hassle to convince my kinmembers, they're all very convinced that it's a shit instance. Do you have any convincing arguments per chance? Other than "it's fun, you idiots!"

No I do not :( You just need good timing of when players are on. Spam the LFF channel ("LFF GA quests") every 5 minutes or so; as well as the GLFF channel. Hopefully your server has a GLFF channel (its a user created channel, not a default one)

blindside044 on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    yah, we don't have one of those, our server is very fragmented with a few international kins, 2 Dutch kins, a big Spanish kin and various Polish and Balkan kins. I haven't noticed much of a server community as a result.

Aldo on
  • Koopa_ParatroopaKoopa_Paratroopa Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have a level 8 champion on the Landroval server, does Penny Arcade still have a guild(or the Lotro equivilent) on that server or any server for that matter?

Koopa_Paratroopa on
    Pearl FC: 5113 8469 2573
    HG FC: 4942 0608 0811
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have a level 8 champion on the Landroval server, does Penny Arcade still have a guild(or the Lotro equivilent) on that server or any server for that matter?

The PA kinship on Landroval is deader than a fart. I can't speak for any other servers, though you might try checking the OP.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
    edited January 2009
    Stinky, I checked the OP and it says Barrovian Society on Landroval, so I guess I need to find another kinship.

Koopa_Paratroopa on
    edited January 2009
    Apparently the captain skill Noble Mark generated FORTY times the intended aggro. D: This explains so much.

Aldo on
  • DedianDedian Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Apparently the captain skill Noble Mark generated FORTY times the intended aggro. D: This explains so much.

Hehe I always like the patch notes:

Noble Mark will no longer generate 40 times the intended threat. Yes, I said 40 TIMES.

And as far as guilds go, I was a member of the Barrovian Soc. for a while, but yeah, it was deeaaad, so I left and bought my own house and have just been soloing (38 Champ come on 40 goooo). I'm up in Evendim right now, reclaiming relics or something from Lara Crof... err I mean Tomb Robbers. Wouldn't mind guilding up for grouping or helping out or just crafting, but haven't looked around too much. I guess there's a "Recruitment Faire" on Feb 7th at the Breeland Fairgrounds... Sounds like a lot of RP hooey but might be somethin there :)

Dedian on
    edited January 2009
    God damn, I had forgotten how much of a pain in the dick Barrow Wights can be.

Triple B on
  • MatsuhitoMatsuhito Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't find them that much of a pain to my dick. Assuming we are talking about the ones in the Barrow Downs by Bree, of course. If there are more then fuck, my dick is done.

Matsuhito on
    edited January 2009
    Matsuhito wrote: »
    I don't find them that much of a pain to my dick. Assuming we are talking about the ones in the Barrow Downs by Bree, of course. If there are more then fuck, my dick is done.

I was attempting to do Finding Lalia at the time of my post. During which, yes, they are a colossal pain in the cock. One or two at a time, I can easily handle by myself (18 hunter about to ding 19), but during that quest, you have to deal with like 4 or more of them, and that's when the dick-hurting starts.

Triple B on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    so is there a way to get a free trial for this or what

Pony on
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've got some 14-day trial keys that came with my copy of LOTRO. I've offered them to my friends, but 2 of them declined, I'll PM you one.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • KeyScourgeKeyScourge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    I really wanna get playin this game again. But due to an account management fuck up (they think they know my birthday better than I do) I have to send em an image of my passport or some other form of positive identification to get Codemasters to reactivate my account for it, but I don't have a damn scanner and I have no clue in hell where the fuck my passport is so I can't get my account back up, which is majorly gay

KeyScourge on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    oh my god downloading a 6 gig client? jesus fuck that will take forever

I get about 100 kb/s for the most part

i'll go over to my buddy's place on the weekend where he gets like 1 mb/s

Pony on
    edited January 2009
    Triple B wrote: »

I was attempting to do Finding Lalia at the time of my post. During which, yes, they are a colossal pain in the cock. One or two at a time, I can easily handle by myself (18 hunter about to ding 19), but during that quest, you have to deal with like 4 or more of them, and that's when the dick-hurting starts.

That's a 3-man quest. Says so in the quest log IIRC.

Aldo on
    edited January 2009

Yeah but he's a hunter! (I never did that quest :D)

Dedian on
  • Simon MoonSimon Moon Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The only character I've had any success with soloing Lalia was a level 20 (i.e. heavy armor wearing) champion. The problem with champions is you get so used to taking on 2 or 3 mobs at a time, you bite off more than you can chew and die a horrible, horrible death. You then tell yourself, "I should be more careful." And then you get caught up in being a whirling maelstrom of spiky death, and bite off more than you can chew and die a horrible, horrible death.

Seriously, the number of times I died taking on one too many orcs in the North Downs alone is staggering.

Simon Moon on
    Steam: simon moon
    edited January 2009

We tried it with 2. Couldn't find a third, so we just said fuck it.

Also, I'm now about to ding 20, and crafting isn't going as speedily as I'd like it to. I'm not having a problem getting hides, but wood and ore seem more scarce than they were when I was first playing. Anyone have any advice on where to find ample supply of Ash branches and Barrow-iron/Silver?

Triple B on
    edited January 2009
    I'm almost done with the barrows in general. I did the finding Lalia quest with a group that was waiting to do 1.11 I think. That was a good group.
    Did all of the south barrows quest with a less awesome group, but at least thats over with.

Matsuhito on
    edited January 2009
    Jesus Christ, some of the prices in the Auction Hall are laughable. 500s for a stack of hides? I don't want 'em that much, thanks.

Triple B on
    edited January 2009
    I am an explorer, so I can get you some ore, wood, leather if you need any. My in game name is Granwulf on the Landroval server, in case you were wondering.

Koopa_Paratroopa on
    edited January 2009
    I am an explorer, so I can get you some ore, wood, leather if you need any. My in game name is Granwulf on the Landroval server, in case you were wondering.

That was you? I was dicking around in Bree-land earlier doing quests and just working on deeds and ended up helping a few people do Fixing Falco's Folly. I was Rolina, hobbit warden. Up to 18 so far and enjoying it. One of the coolest classes I've yet played in an MMO.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
    edited January 2009
    Jesus Christ, some of the prices in the Auction Hall are laughable. 500s for a stack of hides? I don't want 'em that much, thanks.

Hides are "harder" to just gather, unless you're overlevel and can AoE. Ore and wood you just run around and click on nodes. Now, if you're already hunting beasts, you'll probably get piles that you can hand to an explorer to process, but it takes a bit of work to get hides otherwise :/

Dedian on
  • Anti-SeanAnti-Sean Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Some asshole on Meneldor has *eight* stacks of Faded Sindarin Passages (Tier 3 Scholar crafting ingredient) for a buyout of 1.2 gold each. My scholar has already completed mastery of that tier, but I'm still frothing over with rage at it. The worst part is, some poor schmuck is likely to buy one of his stacks at that rate...

Anti-Sean on
    edited January 2009
    Oh, I'm a 20 Hunter Explorer and I am more than capable of acquiring my own hides. I just realized I've got two recipes that I desperately want to craft for myself, and I'm about a stack of medium hides short. When something like that turns up, you really just want to have them instantly, instead of going out hunting for them, you know? But I am more than willing to gather them myself if it means not feeding into the laughably overpriced animal that is the Auction Hall. I refuse to give in to greedy pricks.
    Except when I need shards. :cry:

Edit: and for the record, I've noticed that boiled hides are equally as ridiculous in terms of price, so it doesn't seem to be a matter of difficulty of acquisition.

Triple B on
    edited January 2009
    eelektrik wrote: »

That was you? I was dicking around in Bree-land earlier doing quests and just working on deeds and ended up helping a few people do Fixing Falco's Folly. I was Rolina, hobbit warden. Up to 18 so far and enjoying it. One of the coolest classes I've yet played in an MMO.

Haha, small world. We should group up again, anyway thanks for the help.

Koopa_Paratroopa on
    edited January 2009
    Oh, I'm a 20 Hunter Explorer and I am more than capable of acquiring my own hides. I just realized I've got two recipes that I desperately want to craft for myself, and I'm about a stack of medium hides short. When something like that turns up, you really just want to have them instantly, instead of going out hunting for them, you know? But I am more than willing to gather them myself if it means not feeding into the laughably overpriced animal that is the Auction Hall. I refuse to give in to greedy pricks.
    Except when I need shards. :cry:

Edit: and for the record, I've noticed that boiled hides are equally as ridiculous in terms of price, so it doesn't seem to be a matter of difficulty of acquisition.

Sapphire shards are hard to come by for some reason, but Ruby shards... I've got a few spots for those :D

You make boiled leather from hides at a 1:2 ratio... you'd think a stack of boiled leather would be at least 2x the price on the AH as a stack of raw hides, but its usually not (well, I haven't checked lately, but it usually isn't). Why people would collect TWO stacks of hides and process them to get not even twice the price... confuses me.

Edit: unless of course you can't process the hides yourself, but still.. the price should still be at least twice a stack of raw hides. Though, that'd make things even more expensive :D

Edit 2: it sounds like I'm vying for the high priced stuff on AH. I hate it. I put level 35 dropped "yellow" equipment on the AH for 10s buyout... I can't stand overpriced crap. I'm a master expert tailor and put the critted guild leather armor up for a little over what a ruby shard would cost. I dunno... I don't like the way everything's overpriced, but it must be selling... right?

Dedian on
    edited January 2009

We tried it with 2. Couldn't find a third, so we just said fuck it.

Also, I'm now about to ding 20, and crafting isn't going as speedily as I'd like it to. I'm not having a problem getting hides, but wood and ore seem more scarce than they were when I was first playing. Anyone have any advice on where to find ample supply of Ash branches and Barrow-iron/Silver?

I think the Brandywood (watch out for the giant!), North and East Bree-Fields (north of the horsefields) and the Far Chetwood are good.. Far Chetwood probably doesn't have anyone in it as I don't think any quests point you there...

Dedian on
  • Simon MoonSimon Moon Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    There's one quest that sends you to the Far Chetwood, to kill a wood troll. It involves running from the horsefields to the Old Forest, and then to the Far Chetwood. Not really worth it.

Simon Moon on
    Steam: simon moon
    edited January 2009
    Simon Moon wrote: »
    There's one quest that sends you to the Far Chetwood, to kill a wood troll. It involves running from the horsefields to the Old Forest, and then to the Far Chetwood. Not really worth it.

Oh yeah, I remember that. That's in Nen Harn, but yeah pretty much the same thing :) Also a hard troll to find.

Dedian on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Something's been bugging me lately. What do you call this game when you speak out loud? WoW is easy, as is CoH. But LOTRO is a mouthful. What could you say...Lot Row? Low Trow?

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited January 2009
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Something's been bugging me lately. What do you call this game when you speak out loud? WoW is easy, as is CoH. But LOTRO is a mouthful. What could you say...Lot Row? Low Trow?

Uh...I guess "lo-tro", but I usually just say "Lord of the Rings".

Triple B on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Well it takes a while to say "Lord of the Rings" especially if you throw in the "Online" part. Just wondering.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Pirate ViperPirate Viper Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Is there anyway I could get a free trial code?

Pirate Viper on
    edited January 2009
    Its takes like a second to say so unless I'm trying to race lightning with my tongue I just say it out.

Matsuhito on
    edited January 2009
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Well it takes a while to say "Lord of the Rings" especially if you throw in the "Online" part. Just wondering.

Yeah, well I've always been pretty aggressive about spoken abbreviations. You might say I hate them.

Triple B on
    edited January 2009
    Question, if I was to buy the Special Edition of Shadows of Angmar, would I be able to upgrade an existing account with it? And would I get the 30 days of play as well?

edit: Ended up filing a ticket and asking an Admin, apparently it won't work. But if anyone else is interested, GoGamer has the SE of Shadows of Angmar for $3.90., if anyone wants to buy that first, then buy Mines of Moria later.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Stevo 22Stevo 22 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Router problems prevent me from getting back into Middle Earth for the time being. Blasted! :x A welcome break, I suppose. The daily grind was draining my vitality. Hopefully I'm back in this before anyone gets to Moria...

Stevo 22 on
    "It's do or die." "Hey, I've died twice."
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    so do any of you guys still play on landroval on a regular basis, it gets awful lonely levellin' alone.

Depressperado on