As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Why is PAX on the same weekend as Bumbershoot again?

robblesrobbles Registered User new member
edited February 2009 in PAX Archive
Seriously, I knew a bunch of people that had to choose between Bumbershoot and PAX, me being one of them. Both music and video games are very special to me and it is a huge shame that PAX has to land on Bumbershoot weekend AGAIN. Is it too late to change the date? Are the PAX planners aware of this conflict? It seems like something that should obviously be avoided.

Am I the only one that has this conflict?

robbles on

• Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Search button ftw

Yes they are aware, yes its too late to change the date (they gotta start planing for the next pax before the first is over...)
    Khoo said the reasons for this in another thread.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=7995287#post7995287
    The decision to hold PAX on Labor Day weekend going forward is threefold:

1. Given 70% of attendees are coming in from out of town, it allows for 1 extra day of travel as opposed to rushing back on Friday night.
    2. Seattle (despite Bumbershoot being that same weekend) is actually dead in terms of out-of-town travel on Labor Day Weekend. What this means is we're able to negotiate hotel room rates at much more aggressive rate than the week before - we're literally talking a difference of hundreds of dollars for the weekend for attendees.
    3. Because most conferences/trade shows are business-to-business, we're actually able to get the space we need as opposed to being crammed in with another large show.

Also I personally think you should go get bumpershoot to change *its* dates to accomidate the behemoth that is pax :P

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    PAX >>> Bumbershoot

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AragornAragorn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sure is a lot of whining about clashing with Bumbershoot, bleah. As for the 3-day weekend being important for vacations, family events, etc. Well what is going to PAX for 1-3 days. A vacation to me if it's something I want to attend. Like any other weekend, holiday one or not, you decide if you have other plans and weigh which is more important to you and then make your decision. Out of living in Seattle most my life and attending a number of Bumbershoot weekends I can easily say Bumbershoot is lame and has been lame every year since I can remember. Everyone local I talk to (friends or strangers), and of a variety of musical tastes, all give that same response and I'm not exagerrating that. Of course I know there are going to be some responses whining about how I am wrong and just don't have the proper taste of music or some other stupid lame excuse to defend an annual event that is primarily favored by radio station promos, their sponsers, and other such venders. Bumbershoot sucks and is more of a let down as well as a pain in the butt (from the traffic it generates) then anything else. Then again maybe it is just me and the affect numerous crappy Bumbershoots (and their weak line-ups) of the past have had on me.

Aragorn on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2009
    PAX is Friday - Sunday evening, Bumbershoot is Saturday - Monday. You can still attend all of PAX and half of Bumbershoot (Sunday 6pm - end of last concert and all of Monday). Unless a concert you really want to see is on Saturday or early Sunday, the conflict is minimal.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Also dont forget burning man
    and dragon con

They are also on the same weekend ;-)

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    BamboozaBambooza Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ya, how can i forget the convoy of strange cars i pass on my trip up to pax the past couple of years.

Bambooza on
    The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
  • Options
    AzazelAzazel Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Too much is going on that weekend, so sad that people will have to choose between them all.

Azazel on
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Azazel wrote: »
    Too much is going on that weekend, so sad that people will have to choose between them all.

Welcome to the world of choice. I'm guessing you don't have cable do you?

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    AzazelAzazel Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh my god, like, how did you know?

Azazel on
  • Options
    MrBartokomousMrBartokomous Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    There's dozens of music festivals in North America every summer, and only one PAX. Not to discredit Bumbershoot in any way, but there's plenty of other things like it taking place on other weekends throughout the summer.

MrBartokomous on
  • Options
    MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You must choose...... wisely....

MetaverseNomad on
  • Options
    GeneralsGenerals Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I know of people who had to choose between this and an anime convention in the same part of the country on the same weekend.

Generals on
    jsn: and there was some dude(note that: DUDE) dressed up as Mai from KOF
    Jeff: I see
    jsn: and I was like "I wonder how he goes to the washroom, does he just like...brush his loincloth to the side or what?"
    jsn: friend was like "DUDE he's BEHIND YOU"
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sister = Bumbershoot.

Me = State the obvious. We text/pix each other on what is going on.

Plus, not to be a suck-up,
    which I am right now
    but I love you kids way more.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    algorythymalgorythym Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Last year would have been my first PAX and my first Bumbershoot, but I gave up on the Bumbershoot, went to Oregon to see Beck the week before (Bumbershoot was part of a tour for him luckily) and did all 3 days of PAX. This year, I'm screwing Bumbershoot and going to Sasquatch.

algorythym on
    algorythym.gif
    Someone let me algorhythm (steve_0990) into the PA Steam group
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    There's dozens of music festivals in North America every summer, and only one PAX. Not to discredit Bumbershoot in any way, but there's plenty of other things like it taking place on other weekends throughout the summer.

True. I think the main factor is that Bumbershoot is the most popular music event for Seattle and is within walking distance of PAX. I haven't gone to Bumbershoot since the year before the first PAX, so I made my choice and am glad I went with PAX. However I can see the dilemma some are having.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    algorythymalgorythym Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Um, bumbershoot is indeed awesome, but it is not the only major Seattle music festival. There is also Sasquatch, which is roughly the same size, and on Memorial Day Weekend. Unfortunately Sasquatch is at the Gorge, a couple hour drive through over the mountains and through the woods away. Anyway, if you must experience music in Seattle in 2009, there's that.

And besides, why would you want to visit us in Seattle once, when you can TWICE.

algorythym on
    algorythym.gif
    Someone let me algorhythm (steve_0990) into the PA Steam group
  • Options
    Grooveman23Grooveman23 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think the real question is: Why is Bumbershoot on PAX weekend and why do people find this to be a hard decision?

They should move Bumbershoot so PAX can have its own weekend and not have to try and share its glory.

Grooveman23 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    All hail the Hypno-Spode!
  • Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dragonflight used to conflict with PAX, but they changed dates to avoid becoming irrelevant. e4empty was planning to conflict with PAX, then they realized that was suicide and changed dates in a last ditch effort again for relevance. Too late for them though, they died.

Bumbershoot should get on board the change train. At the rate PAX is growing, we'll be bigger than they are in a few more years. (Though where all the people will go I'm glad isn't my problem.)

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Bumbershoot should get on board the change train. At the rate PAX is growing, we'll be bigger than they are in a few more years. (Though where all the people will go I'm glad isn't my problem.)

Seriously. See what happens when musicians clash with angry nerds.

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
This discussion has been closed.