As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My first drawing that i'm proud of

AirekAirek Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Artist's Corner
I've really wanted to learn to draw lately, like cartoony kind of drawings, and after some practice I've come up with this during one of my classes, then colored it in photoshop and made some edits in MS paint.

f_lawlm_34671f0.png

I just kind of wanted to know what you guys here think of it, so... please tell me your opinions of it. I know it isn't much, but you have to understand.. before this I couldn't draw ANYTHING. :D

Airek on

• Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    its good to see that you want to learn how to draw but you've got to begin somewhere, right?

Starting by drawing with a cartoony style is rarely a good idea- it will be very difficult for you to draw what you want to draw if you don't first learn how to draw from real life (this means cups, flowers, plants, chairs, and people). It isn't a difficult process but it is one that will take a lot of time.

I could critique what you've posted here, but there a lot wrong with it (it may be good for you and there's nothing wrong with that...) but you have a long way to go before anyone will think you're a good artist.

Hopefully i didn't discourage you from trying. The important thing is to take steps in the right direction and practice alot!

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    Wait, if you have photoshop...why are you making edits in mspaint?

Besides that, I give you the same advice that I imagine most other people will give you, namely to learn anatomy (you'll probably get a recommendation for Loomis), draw from observation (Drawing from the Right Side of the Brain), avoid colors until you get the basics of drawing out of the way, and practice every day. Even if you're going for a cartoony style; nearly every (if not every) major successful cartoonist has a very good grasp of the principles of drawing, and are quite able to draw realistically, because they need that kind of knowledge to apply their styles the way that they do.

EDIT: Likewise, I don't want to discourage you from drawing and/or posting here; as a first post, I've certainly seen worse, and I am glad you've got the eyes halfway down the head, and that you've got varied lineweight which does, in certain of its incarnations, help define the form. It's a start, and certainly a better one than mine was when I began; but like Nap said, you do have a ways to go.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    the best example I can think of for cartoony artist who knows how to draw well and demonstrates that fact in his strip is Bill Watterson.

You've 90% likely read Calvin and Hobbes, but go back and see just how good that art actually is.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    edited January 2009
    @Nappuccino: Thanks for the tips, I'll definitely take them into consideration. :D And I understand that I won't be good right off the bat, and I'm not discouraged at all.

@crawdaddio: I use MS paint for minor things that bother me, like i couldn't get the edges to be purely black in photoshop, and it just bothered me, and i prefer doing toe colors in paint because they're much easier to change later if i want. Sometimes photoshop is just too fancy for a job. And I have been practicing when I get the chance, or just get bored. And thanks alot for your advice as well, I'm sure it will help me improve.

I appreciate both of your comments, thanks alot. :D

Airek on
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Photoshop actually does have a pencil tool that will leave clean edges like MSPaint.

You just click on the Brush in the toolbar and hold it until a little pencil icon drops out and you click on that.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    No prob; it's what we're here for (well, also to get advice on our own stuff, but karma says if we can help out, we should). If it helps as a guideline, by the way (and this depends on how much you want to dedicate to improving your art), a lot of people have had success by getting a good, thick sketchbook (lots of pages), and committing themselves to drawing every day, for 15 minutes, or an hour, or even 5 minutes if you're pressed for time (though really, if you do this, you should go for at least 15 minutes). Routine practice with observation and sureness of line is probably the best way to improve.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    @ChichBlue: I didn't know that, thanks :D

@Crawdaddio: I've just been drawing during my off periods in my notes if i don't have any homework, usually for about half an hour, but I just getting intrested in it within the past week. But yeah, a sketchbook would be a good idea for me, thanks.

Airek on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    If you do get a sketch book, make sure to focus on the stuff around you, not just stuff from your head. Even people if you're feeling brave enough to test your skills.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited January 2009
    True, dat; forgot to mention that the system dictates the daily drawing be from observation.

It also helps to keep track of things that have simple shapes like spheres, cylinders, and boxes (books, cups, balls, etc); also, if you've got a desk lamp, that can really help if you want to work on shadows (turn off the lights in the room except the lamp, and you get well-defined shadows from a single light source that make form easier to define.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Here's a simple exercise that will drastically help you improve your figures. Since I couldn't find a single example of this on google, I just scanned it in myself.

img003.jpg

These are called box form exercises, but what I want you to do is even simpler.

Try and find any artwork from any one of the Great Masters, whether it be from a book or the internet. Take some tracing paper and try and box around the three large masses (the head, torso and pelvis).

That's it.

Do this enough and you'll notice some similarities regarding the gesture of the spine, neck, waist, etc. Once you've done enough of these you can try making some up on your own, but for now just trace these boxes over other artwork. It doesn't have to be masterworks, and can actually be whatever artwork you like, but it makes it much easier to do with masterworks.

Godfather on