As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

blank

Napalm DonkeyNapalm Donkey Registered User regular
edited April 2016 in Artist's Corner

4cgipuI.jpg
Napalm Donkey on

• NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    most of them look pretty good... they would look better with more variation.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    Or shading (either would work by itself). Main crit I'd have is that the nose on the first drawing looks off, as though the nose were concave instead of convex. It's the two detail lines that're doing it. Also, the hair on 2, 3, 4, and 6 are too messy and "individual-strand"-ed, especially with number 6.

crawdaddio on
    edited January 2009
    it's pretty obvious from that last one that you aren't really developing your pictures the right way. What you'll want to start trying to do is draw a really simple version of the whole thing first. That way, if you make huge mistakes (like ears being the rong size, eyes being misplaced, forheards being too long or too short etc etc,) they're much easier and quicker to fix than highly detailed versions of the same thing.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Napalm DonkeyNapalm Donkey Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    blank

Napalm Donkey on
    4cgipuI.jpg
    edited January 2009
    This is where i get a little over my head- I'm pretty sure the best thing to do is put a base coat of color down in the right shape of the head and build the painting up from there.

I've never really painted before (or do anything in color really) so hopefully someone else who does that alot more will give you the basic steps better than I could.

Nappuccino on

edited January 2009
    For one, a gesture doesn't need to be nearly that big... I can hardly tell what's going on because even my 1680-1050 that beast of a picture doesn't fit more than the head.

However, I do like the line variation you've got going on now, it seems like you've got a pretty decent hold of that already.

Nappuccino on

• TamTam Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    why does that color one look so pixellated? There are perfect squares in there.

Tam on
    edited April 2016
    blank

Napalm Donkey on
    4cgipuI.jpg
    edited January 2009
    Alright, first of all, to expand upon what nap mentioned, no picture needs to be that big in the forums; no one will be able to get a grasp on what's going on in the piece as a whole. I've resized it for you, but I'd strongly encourage you to edit the image in your post yourself.

smallergesture.jpg

That said, that certainly isn't the right way to go about making gesture drawings. Gesture, as the name implies, should be about capturing the gesture of the figure, usually in the fewest lines possible. Personally, when I make a gesture drawing, the first line I draw is often the spine, and I try to do it in one stroke. I think there will be others who will have far better ways, but the point is that in these drawings, though there are poses, they aren't gestures, partly because the proportions are off in so many of them, partly because you seem to be more concerned with the outline of the figures than with the position of the limbs (which should be the main, if not sole, focus), and partly because I get the sneaky suspicion that these aren't observed. That, now that I've mentioned it, should be the one constant of gesture drawing: that you're drawing the gestures that you observe.

crawdaddio on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    oddly enough, i like that heavily pixellated look on the painting
    i would totally roll with that
    block in perfect squares and make a pixelly painting

but i'm weird

beavotron on
    edited January 2009
    crawdaddio on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Huh, that is pretty neat.

Napalm Donkey, if you don't want jpeg artifacts, you need to save in max quality (12) in Photoshop.

Tam on
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ah.. i was hoping the jpeg squares thing was intentional.. looks pretty cool.

Kendeathwalker on
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Okay I scanned in some more cartoonish faces I did and some poor attempts at gesture drawings.

faces1040ek0.jpg

any tips on gesture drawing would be appreciated

these are straight up out of the invinvible comic. you should state the reference if you're gonna use another artiists work

NakedZergling on
    edited April 2016
    blank

Napalm Donkey on
    4cgipuI.jpg
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    "Drawing on the right side of the brain." by betty edwards is a good one

http://www.posemaniacs.com is good, but the figures are a bit stiff.

many many anatomy books are out there. many at boarders are under 20 bucks in the art section.

stay away from the "how to" manga type books.

NakedZergling on
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    are those portraits traced?

Projeck on
  • SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If you're going to commit to a single line for those drawings, I think your lines need to be much more sophisticated.

As is, they are fairly accurate in terms of relative placement, but they are sort of boring, and aren't handled with as much care as they could be.

That splotchy looking color one is coming along nicely too, I must say.

Sublimus on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Err what? The color one looks like a paint over. First of all, the underlying structure of what you have there is far stronger than the line drawings...and yet you don't actually have any underlying structure...you are just painting little splotches. Probably color-picking right from the image and then laying it down right where it was.

Everything else is so rocky yet, this one, a much more complex three-dimensional image in color is so strong. It does not compute.

Is nobody else seeing that?

rts on
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah the contours look very traced, as does the colour picture. I expected it to be mentioned it after the first post... Even his cartoony expressions are direct copies.

RubberAC on
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    yes, i agree :I

Projeck on
    edited January 2009
    The think I thought was most odd was that he had so explictly different styles of art so quickly... I just kinda gave him the benefit of the doubt and assumed he was showing us some backlogged stuff and more recent stuff at the same time.

We'll see.

Nappuccino on

• XALXAL Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    no cakemikz you're not taking crazy pills.

everything looks like it has been drawn over or painted over a reference image. aka: traced

the color one is highly suspect because like CM said, the linework on the portraits is pretty weak in quality yet it looks super accurate.... - and then there is this quite great looking and complex colored face with no underlying structure or planning, yet it is incredibly accurate in both structure and color/value...

i'm curious to see the reference photos for all of these...

XAL on
    edited January 2009
    Projeck wrote: »
    yes, i agree :I

Projeck raises a good point here, I concur.

RubberAC on
  • Skelly BSkelly B Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    XAL wrote: »
    i'm curious to see the reference photos for all of these...

all of his facebook friends' profile pictures?

Skelly B on
  • AllanAllan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    After juxtaposing the face images (which were obviously traced by an amateur on account of all the hard lip-lines and awkward eyes) with those "gesture drawings" and that obvious Eyedrop-then-paint-a-small-circle image, really all I could think is, "traced."

And I would know. I used to trace when I was 10.

Allan on
    banndd1av6.gifbannerdd2or5.gif
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Tracing is a good place to start for anybody really. Helps you learn to hold and control the pencil. Which for me, is quite different to the way i hold it when i write.

winter_combat_knight on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have also traced, in fact...I am sort of getting paid to do it right now. But yeah, it's something else entirely to pretend that you aren't (which I have also done). But you know, 5 years later I can draw fairly well from observation, so there is hope.

rts on
    edited January 2009
    I have also traced, in fact...I am sort of getting paid to do it right now. But yeah, it's something else entirely to pretend that you aren't (which I have also done). But you know, 5 years later I can draw fairly well from observation, so there is hope.

PHONY
    GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE

RubberAC on