As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Interweb Graffiti Collabos <MOAR> nsfw i guess

earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Artist's Corner
Fairly recently, one of my friends moved in with me, and he happens to be an excellent graffiti artist. He works quite a lot throughout the week, but I would frequently find graff scribbled on papers left out on the coffee table. I started scanning them into my computer and adding characters on top of his lettering as you often see on wall murals and whatnot. He is exceptional at the art of script and I mostly stick to characters an cartoons, so it seemed a natural fit.

Here are the steps I took from the initial sketch concept, to the finished project. I just drew my character on a separate piece of construction paper, and I used the same type of marker so the image would seem cohesive when the finished product was complete. I just used photoshop to join the two sketches together, and then turned them into one black and white image. Once I had them joined I realized the lines were of poor quality so I retraced everything, making a few small alterations here and there. Once I had the final lineart I began coloring, and after that I was finished! When applying a character to someone else's bomb, always try to play off of the preexisting elements. For example, I tried to take the jagged line that makes up the U an use that shape for my character's nose. I also took the double lines in the last letter and used them to make up the money sign. I also added both my name and his name so it was clear who contributed to the image. I usually use gOOba but EWA would be fine too.

graff1-3.jpg
graff2-2.jpg
graff3-3.jpg
graff4-1.jpg

The idea that we could collaborate on pieces, without either of us actually in the room at the same time began to intrigue me. I know that this forum is not big on graffiti, but I also know that there a few of us here, and many of the artists here have styles that would adapt to the medium very nicely. After I saw DMAC's robot I knew that I just had to do something to reach out to the community here. When I thought about the "draw a forumer" thread, I began to think about how a graffiti collaboration thread would work.

I made three burners, one for DMAC, one for Beavo and one for Prox. I know how busy a lot of you guys and gals are, but you were the first three artists I thought of when it came to who I'd like to collaborate with. Do not feel obligated, I just wanted to get the ball rolling, so to speak. I spoilered the images because they're humongous. This way the other artists have a good quality image to work with. Keep in mind that you can juxtapose your character with the text in anyway. Above, below on the side, or all around. Also feel free to make edits to the letters when neccisary. For example, I had to erase parts of the graff to make my characters hands resting on top. You could always take things a step further and have a character biting or smashing the text which would involve making more edits.

These images are just the letters so you'll obviously have to increase the canvas sytle to fit anything else in there.

DMAC:
DMAC.jpg

BEAVO:
beavo.jpg

PROX:
prox.jpg

So that's basically how this thread will work. Pick a forumer you admire and would like to collaborate with, and take their name and draw it out in your own style. You may have to simplify or abbreviate the name if it's really long because most graff names are kept short and simple. For example I turned Beavotron into Beavo. When you are making your letter's keep the person you are making it for in mind, and try to gear your style towards them. For example I made DMAC's peice very clean, robotic and sharp, Beavo's artsy curvy and flowing, and Prox's zany and odd. This way when they put their spin on it, the image will feel like one whole unified image.

Here's a few more examples of what me and my roommate worked on before.

katamariAPE.jpg
COLLABOdone.jpg
apegooba.jpg

If you don't have a tablet don't feel left out. You can just do it by hand, but make sure that you make things clean enough so that the other artist wont have to spend too much time cleaning things up.

Once you're done with that, just post the image in here and hopefully that person will add their own character to it. They can also choose to color it, or just leave it black and white, or pass it back to the original poster and have them color it. You don't even have to be one of the forumers directly involved to participate. Like if you wanted to add a character to my DMAC piece feel free to add your own character or colors to it.

I always love collaborating with other artists in my blackbook, but the idea of collaborating with artists I look up to, without ever meeting them face to face gets me really amped up and inspired. Try to keep things simple, I intended the process to be fun and simple enough so that people could participate and not get caught up in a long laborious process. I most of all just wanted people to have fun and see if I could lure some of the regulars out of their prospective comfort zones. Comments and questions are appreciated as always!

earthwormadam on

• Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    oh funnnn!
    i want to do this.
    tomorrow when it's the day time and i'm hung over.

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    But of course! Projects are to be completed at your leisure. Take your time and do it when you feel like it. No pressure!

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2009
    This sounds really cool and I'd love to participate.

Iruka on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm in, been wanting to do more graffiti and this be the perfect chance.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited January 2009
    Very cool. I've never done any graffiti, but I am a fan of the good stuff.

DMAC on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    interesting... now I have two threads to not post anything in (but actually long to do so.)

I'll definately follow and maybe participate :)

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    Chop LogicChop Logic Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I am so down. I will post up some pieces later in the week?

Chop Logic on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Neat idea! Were I a more proficient artist I would so be in for this.

But for now I'll just content my self to watching.

Flay on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I wish I had a more reasonable name.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've always been so jealous of good graff artists. It's actually incredibly difficult.
    At least it is for me.

RubberAC on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    What the hell, I've never done graffiti before but I gave it a shot (had to abbreviate the name though). Obviously not finished, but it's a start.

With a white background...
    graffiti1whitegq5.jpg

With a transparent background...
    graffiti1if9.gif

Flay on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    that's awesome looking

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    A compliment from beavotron?

:D

Flay on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    That's really good Flay, you seem to be a natural. If I mess around with that one myself I might add 3-D since that style really is begging for it.

I took a stab at my own rendition of Prox since he appears to be slaving away at the next epic iteration of Sword Dog.

prox-1.jpg

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    BetelgeuseBetelgeuse Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The R in Prox makes me so happy.

Betelgeuse on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    That's really good Flay, you seem to be a natural. If I mess around with that one myself I might add 3-D since that style really is begging for it.

Go right ahead. I made an attempt to give it a 3D effect, but it didn't turn out so well.

Flay on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm a stenciller meself, but I've only ever finished two projects cos of a lack of time and good materials to use, so I need to get more into that.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I'll have to cook up some turnip graff for you Betel.

Soon Flay, soon.

Stencils have always intrigued me, and it's something I'd really like to get into somewhere down the line. Makes me want to just go stencil crazy until they catch me and throw me in jail.

I got bored and did another one.

beavotronic.jpg

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    How long have you been doing graffiti art? You are like.. the only graffiti artist I slightly know, by typing words and then sending them to a ranom thread and hearing indirect responses.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    BetelgeuseBetelgeuse Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I would totally be down for some turnip graff!

Betelgeuse on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Here's my best stencil that I did for a friend of mine with the aid of Dan Kim, a renowned graphic artist:
    http://manga.clone-army.org/gallery/gifts/misc/greg.jpg

The grey bits show up as white in real life, and the orange bits show up as red. The camera got some odd glare, I guess.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've done stenciling, and I like graffiti art a lot but suck at it myself. This is a pretty cool idea though I might go and give this a shot.

Veritas on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    winter_combat_knight, this one's for you! I like the basic concept and the look of the W, but I'm not entirely satisfied with it yet. I think I'll work on it a bit more, maybe redo it. Again, sorry 'bout the quality of the image. I couldn't even take a photo of it on my good camera (couldn't find the charger anywhere) and had to use my old crappy camera.

forumgraffiti1ht3.jpg

(Come on people, join in).

Flay on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Flay wrote: »
    winter_combat_knight, this one's for you! I like the basic concept and the look of the W, but I'm not entirely satisfied with it yet. I think I'll work on it a bit more, maybe redo it. Again, sorry 'bout the quality of the image. I couldn't even take a photo of it on my good camera (couldn't find the charger anywhere) and had to use my old crappy camera.

forumgraffiti1ht3.jpg

Totally badass!

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Flay wrote: »

^this^

I really like that one as well Flay.

Finished this one today...

3DNT.jpg

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    :shock::!!:

Holy shit that is fantastic!

Damnit, I'm inspired. Now I have to go and give inking WCK's tag a shot.

EDIT: Any tips on getting nice even curves using a mouse in GIMP?

Flay on
  • Options
    VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Pen Tool?

(not familiar with gimp if it has that or not)

Veritas on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Veritas wrote: »
    Pen Tool?

(not familiar with gimp if it has that or not)

Yeah it does. I just can't seem to get the right look using it though.

*wishes he had a tablet*

Flay on
  • Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I haven't done any pieces or throw-ups in a while, but I've always got my faithful tag. It's goofy, but I love slapping it places because of that. It's fun. Tough guy graffiti is just plain silly. Gang graffiti is the worst worst worst.

I'll try and put some stuff onto paper in the next little while

edit: here is a quick show of the tag. like i said, it's simple and goofy. but if there is something like this around town, it is most definitely mine because no self respecting graffiti artist would copy me

rag.png
    all i really do is a bunch of different faces that have a structure similar to that. sometimes tweak the K a bit. I actually got the K from a memorial tag I put up for a while, after zonkytonkman passed.

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yes graff is fun, fun for the whole family! I too enjoy integrating faces into my tags, and sometimes boobies.

Here's some of my quickies.

sigs.jpg

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Gonna be doing more when I get some (edit) more time.
    gooba.jpg

Prospicience on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    lol boobs? so immature!

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Thanks Prosp, nicely done.

And those boobs are clearly a bit saggy and therefor quite mature.

DMAC done

DMACcolor.jpg

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That's awesome!!!!

I might have to try my hand at this stuff....

Sublimus on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    adam, you're much better at this than most people. I don't really understand how graff artists have such a natural handle of what basically seems to be typography. I'm such a perfectionist, I couldn't just do something with good form like that without meticulously trying to do it. Maybe I'm just a bad artist too.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    srsizzy wrote: »
    adam, you're much better at this than most people. I don't really understand how graff artists have such a natural handle of what basically seems to be typography. I'm such a perfectionist, I couldn't just do something with good form like that without meticulously trying to do it. Maybe I'm just a bad artist too.

You're just thinking about the word meticulous in a different way. The whole thing about doing this (tags especially) is that you're pretty much writing the same word thousands upon thousands of times until you get it how you want it. And then you're still never quite happy with it. I can't tell you how many pounds of paper I have scribbled Kojo over again and again. and I've only been doing graffiti for a couple months. You do a little tweaking here and there, but it's still neurotic repetition.

And yes, adam is ridiculously good and is making me realize, once again, how much I need to keep working at it.

Adam, those tags are rad as fuhhhhhhk.

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    RobchamRobcham The Rabbit King of your pantsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Lost_by_RobCham.jpg
    edit:
    I misread the thread
    Imma make one of these with a name later

Robcham on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    ^cool^

Sublimus - Thanks, and you should!

srsizzy - I'm really big on typography myself, and I never realized how much both that and graffiti had in common. Working with letters in general just always seems fun to me. I'm a crazy perfectionist as well, and that DMAC piece must have taken at least 3 or 4 hours spread out over the course of the last few days. Being meticulous is a good thing, and using PS and working in layers makes everything much less painstaking.

Futore - Hey thanks for your compliments, it is funny how many times a graffiti artist must write his/her name over the course of a lifetime. A billion? Maybe. Writing everywhere is fun whether it's with markers in a bathroom stall, or with a finger on the inside of a foggy car window. I've been writing most of my quickies with a one single line approach for a while now, and sometimes drawing without looking yields some interesting results. Also try holding your pen, or whatever, from the top so that when you're writing you don't have such a firm control over where you are writing. Sometimes an unexpected result is the best result.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    RobchamRobcham The Rabbit King of your pantsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    btw
    these are awesome earthwormadam

and I love graffiti
    it's like a big fuck you to the man, maaaan

Robcham on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Now this thread is starting to pick up.

I'm really getting in to this whole graffiti thing. I decided to have a go at my own nickname; I was going for a more traditional style of graffiti and although I'm not sure if I achieved it I'm still pretty happy with the results (although the 3D effect could be better).

forumgraffiti2dn9.jpg

I'll give digital inking another shot, but it's still a bitch to do with a mouse.

Flay on