As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

West Coast Train Trip 2009: Lets Light This Sucker!

• Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hugh Braulie.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I guess I'm bringing Blackadder with me, then. Any other top picks? Again, I think watching one Pratchett miniseries on the way up and the other on the way down is a good way for a bunch of geeks to spend a few hours.

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have not seen any of the Pratchett miniseries, so I am down with that.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Awesome. They're both brilliant.

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Idea for an activity...

Would anyone be interested in a live Phalla on the train? We could set it up so that voting is done every hour, so that people have time to communicate secretly while doing other stuff.

So I'm guessing this is a no?

If I can get at least 5 people interested, we could at least do a mini-game.

I'd do it. I think Mr Blarney ran something on the way up last year - I saw a post about it when the train thread became the train chat thread last year.

Probably in for 2. Probably in for sleeper car. Definitely buying tickets before the prices jump this year, discount plan or no.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm not missing out on the train this year. I feel the pangs of train trips that I have missed, but this year- I regret notthiinnggg!

chaosisorder on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Definitely down for this. Will probably be purchasing a sleeper room or something. Will likely be bringing a mystery girl.

Regarding phalla, we held a couple small rounds on the way up last year. I think there were about 9 of us involved. Given how the interest in it has expanded even in the few months since then, I don't think we'll have any trouble getting another one started.

Having an over-arching phalla that takes place over the course of the entire trip, in addition to whatever little ones we hold, would be pretty cool IMO. However, I'd say we should wait until we have a better idea of how many people are showing up and who's coming before we start discussion on that sort of thing.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    If anyone is interested in learning how to DM for Red Dwarf: The Roleplaying Game let me know and I'll mail you the books. I'd love to play it on the train but I'm not really DM material.

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    SakebombSakebomb Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    PAX train '08 was super fucking awesome kick-ass cool.

I unfortunately moved closed to Seattle this year, from Southern Oregon to Portland, so that's gonna cut the time i get to spend on the party train, but count me in from Portland y'all!

WIIIIIZARD!!!!!

Sakebomb on
  • Options
    HaikufrenzyHaikufrenzy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Okay so despite the move from Portland to Little Rock, Arkansas this year. I'm still going to be on the WCTT since I'll be coming into Portland early to see family and friends. Plus because I seriously miss Ground Kontrol and drinking beer while playing Tron.

So it's only me at the moment, but I've been trying like HELL to get my older brother to tag along, and this might finally be the year since his also got co-workers on his ass about it.

Haikufrenzy on
    RazorbackKing.png
  • Options
    HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've been trying like HELL to get my older brother to tag along, and this might finally be the year since his also got co-workers on his ass about it.

Just tell him to do the math...

Booze(Train+Video Games) x wang jokes= WCTT

Or if you want to be lazy.

WCTT = Monorail(+1 rail, -1 Leonard Nimoy)

Highfire on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Speaking of which, Leonard Nimoy's agent is still not returning my calls. Sorry, guys.

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    turkeymerkinturkeymerkin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Me and the Mrs. are contemplating a round trip (fly down/train up/train down/fly up), and setting up a Tacoma annex in the new house (pending purchase, of course) with plenty of space for PAXTrainers and their various things. Could set up a caravan to and from the center/house. August and TNTrooper can attest to the fun that happens at our place. (or just watch TCM's PAX08 part 5-9)

turkeymerkin on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Highfire wrote: »
    I've been trying like HELL to get my older brother to tag along, and this might finally be the year since his also got co-workers on his ass about it.

Just tell him to do the math...

Booze(Train+Video Games) x wang jokes= WCTT

Or if you want to be lazy.

WCTT = Monorail(+1 rail, -1 Leonard Nimoy)

You know I've used that a billion times. But it never seems to convince him.

I think his possessed by the demon of non-fun. GET ME THY HOLY WATER!

Haikufrenzy on
    RazorbackKing.png
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2009
    Show him some of the video from previous years

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    CAP CbassCAP Cbass Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Might be going from Klamath Falls again.

I'm not sure I want to take the train this year though for a few reasons.

1. You people were F'in loud.
    2. Extremely late train. The train dont make enough stops to get out for fresh air and leg stretching thanks to being late by 2+ hours. It was about 2+ hours late right?
    3. The damn doors were constantly opening and closing every 30-60 seconds. I wish those were quieter.
    4.. You people were F'in loud.

I enjoyed the quiet times hanging out with other nerds socializing and I love my PAXTrain 08 Shirt. I'm going to PAX regardless but these are my only concerns for taking the train again.

CAP Cbass on
    CAP Cbass
    Xbox Ambassador
    CAP+Cbass.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    CAP Cbass wrote: »
    Extremely late train. The train dont make enough stops to get out for fresh air and leg stretching thanks to being late by 2+ hours. It was about 2+ hours late right?

The train had to stop for a couple of hours because there was construction work going on somewhere in... North California? Oregon? I forget. But we were pretty much parked for a few hours.

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    CAP CbassCAP Cbass Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It was a land slide that happened north of K-falls a few days before the trip I thought.

CAP Cbass on
    CAP Cbass
    Xbox Ambassador
    CAP+Cbass.png
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh god, this again. I missed it last year and highly regret it. I just couldn't afford it because I wasn't working, and still am not. A friend of mine has also expressed interest in going to PAX this year, though hes said that a couple times before as well. Still, I am going to see if I can manage to afford this this year, because god damn it kicked ass in '07. I missed PAX in '06 and '08. So far I've not missed 2 years in a row, so, I better not miss PAX'09.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It was a land slide that happened north of K-falls a few days before the trip I thought.

it was a land slide that happened much earlier in the year. . . if it had happend days before our trip .. . paxtrain would have been cancled

much like my trip to vancouver was(just days after the land slide) and i had to take a greyhound instead of the train. . . *wimper*

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
  • Options
    TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    1. You people were F'in loud.
    4.. You people were F'in loud.

People were very respectful of the coach cars, but yeah, people walking through is unavoidable on the train, especially if you're seated upstairs.

There were more complaints about being hushed all the time in the observation car than there were about the noise level. We tried to keep it down.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Pretty much everyone on the train is super-awesome. Well, except for Those Four Guys. You all know who I mean.

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    DStalefishDStalefish Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'd say 88.875% of the people on the train were cool.

The other 11.125% I just didn't meet.

DStalefish on
    [E] 09, 10E, 10P, 11E, 11P, 12E
  • Options
    SakebombSakebomb Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    In other news, AMTRAK recieves 850 million dollars worth of stimulus money.

For once, I approve of government cash being forked over to a company.
    Long live the Coast Starlight! May the airline companies go down in flames.

<--Amtrak fanboy

Sakebomb on
  • Options
    turkeymerkinturkeymerkin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sakebomb wrote: »
    Long live the Coast Starlight! May the airline companies go down in flames.

<--Amtrak fanboy

Too soon...?

turkeymerkin on
  • Options
    subassysubassy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hello everybody,

I am rather new here. I had planned to go to PAX via train last year but ended up getting a job and working that whole weekend instead D:

At least partially because of that I can afford to go this year. And I am much more determined to go this year. I need a vacation :lol:

I'd be leaving from Sacramento and hope to meet everyone! I'll probably be going by myself as all my friends seem to be...poor :P

On side note, have any one thought to try and convince the TRS guys to hope on our train too? I think that'd be...rad? Maybe if there was a group lobbying effort for TRS-to-PAX-via-train we could kind of convince them...

subassy on
  • Options
    MoreGreaseMoreGrease Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hey guys! I'm really hoping to go on PAXtrain this year. It'll be my first year out of high school and the first year I've been able to go to PAX, and I am so damn excited for spending multiple days cramped on a train with some really cool people. I'm trying to convince some friends to go with, but if not, who needs them?

I'm dying to meet some cool people (hey, anyone go to/hoping to go to UCSC?) and more than willing to bring snacks, run and play D&D and Call of Cthulhu games, and generally be excited as hell for my first PAX.

If I sound a bit crazy in this post, sorry. I've been trying to think of the best way to get up to Seattle from San Jose, and reading about this train trip just about blew my mind to all hell.

Edit: Oh yeah, someone was mentioning British movies and shows awhile back. I can offer up DVDs of Spaced, Father Ted, The League of Gentleman, and Withnail & I (that last one is not really nerd material, but is my favorite movie ever) for viewing, as well as the Venture Bros, which isn't English but really is the ultimate show for nerds.

MoreGrease on
    Steam and PSN: FreelancePolice
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm in my 4th year at UCSC, actually. There's about 4 or 5 of us PAXtrain veterans that go there. PM me your facebook.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I maintain that Spaced is the ultimate show for nerds.

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Seconded

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I concede, the trifecta of Wright/Pegg/Frost is hard to beat at the best of times, and Jessica Stevenson gives Spaced the edge over the competition. Venture Bros pulls a pretty close second in my eyes, though.

MoreGrease on
  • Options
    HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I had the Venture Bros. 3th Season last year, on my HD but couldn't play it. Needed to have a hook up to the web.

Highfire on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Planning on joining you folks again.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    MoreGrease wrote: »
    nemaihne wrote: »

Seconded

I concede, the trifecta of Wright/Pegg/Frost is hard to beat at the best of times, and Jessica Stevenson gives Spaced the edge over the competition. Venture Bros pulls a pretty close second in my eyes, though.

To whit: on-train Spaced marathon on the train up, and a more general Pegg-athon (Shaun Of The Dead, Hot Fuzz, and Doctor Who episode "The Long Game") on the train back?

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    To whit: on-train Spaced marathon on the train up, and a more general Pegg-athon (Shaun Of The Dead, Hot Fuzz, and Doctor Who episode "The Long Game") on the train back?

Certainly not a bad way to kill 5 hours each way. We are only expecting there to be one proper TV, yes? I'm amazed that someone is even bringing one.

MoreGrease on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'm bringing the TV I brought last year. I haven't heard from anyone else, but I'm sure there will be a few people going to BYOC that will be willing to let their monitors be used as well.

Transparent on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    If I can bring a TV with me (I certainly plan to bring my 360 + Rock Band) I'll be doing that.

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Oh good, thanks Ben. George asked me to deal with consoles (which means he probably knows more about Trevor making it this time than I do). That's one major thing I can check off my list.

Transparent on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Just to waste time...

If train A leaves the station at 8:45 am, and Train B leaves it's station at 1:00 pm... how much is WCTT going to kick ass?

Haikufrenzy on
    RazorbackKing.png
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If train A leaves the station at 8:45 am, and Train B leaves it's station at 1:00 pm... how much is WCTT going to kick ass?

Let's see. Add the six to the eight, carry the two, divide by the square-root of infinity, plus 88.

Fracking awesomeness.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
This discussion has been closed.