As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A General Use Subforum?

CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
I was just wondering if there was a specific reason why there isn't a general use subforum such as General Bullshit over at SomethingAwful? Is it because you guys want to keep the website focused on gaming and whatnot, or because you just never saw a need for it, or what?

I think it might be quite popular if we had a place to make posts about general topics. Toys, and the like, for example, might not fit into Games and Technology. And a "Post funny pictures" thread wouldn't really fit anywhere either.

Centipeed on

• Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    SE++

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Arcibi wrote:
    SE++

Granted, but I think a general use forum with the same ruleset as G&T might be nice. I mean, if I post a thread in SE++ asking what to look for in a student house, and someone replies "Toad", that's no problem, because it's a chat subforum.

If we had more rules like G&T, then the threads would stay on topic etc.

Centipeed on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2007
    Centipeed wrote:
    Arcibi wrote:
    SE++

Granted, but I think a general use forum with the same ruleset as G&T might be nice. I mean, if I post a thread in SE++ asking what to look for in a student house, and someone replies "Toad", that's no problem, because it's a chat subforum.

Plenty of threads stay on topic

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Centipeed wrote:
    Arcibi wrote:
    SE++

That thread would probably be better suited for Help and Advice. And did you forget about D&D? It's not all monocles and top hats, there are various fun threads there. You'd just have to put more into your opening post than "Toys. Let's talk about them."

Invisible on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2007
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073846106

this toy thread stayed on topic

generally if it's not a stupid idea, it'll stay on topic

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Debate and Discourse sounds right up your alley.

Javen on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2007
    Centipeed wrote:
    Arcibi wrote:
    SE++

Like Keith said, if you make a good thread, it'll probably stay on topic. And if you really want it to stay on topic, then use D&D.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    DaySleeperDaySleeper regular
    edited February 2007
    Keith wrote:
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073846106

this toy thread stayed on topic

generally if it's not a stupid idea, it'll stay on topic

And sometimes if it's stupid enough it turns into the thread of champions.

DaySleeper on
    magnum%20pi%20ferrari.jpeg
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Elkamil wrote:
    Centipeed wrote:
    Arcibi wrote:
    SE++

Like Keith said, if you make a good thread, it'll probably stay on topic. And if you really want it to stay on topic, then use D&D.
    Unless you're new and then this happens.

It was an ok topic then the regulars just assassinated it.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Elkamil wrote:
    Centipeed wrote:
    Arcibi wrote:
    SE++

Unless you're new and then this happens.

It was an ok topic then the regulars just assassinated it.
    No, it was a terrible topic, then the regulars put it out of its misery.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    DaySleeperDaySleeper regular
    edited February 2007
    That guy was also brand new and made a thread pretty much right away. That is recipe for disaster in any of the forums here and would continue to be the case in this hypothetical new forum.

DaySleeper on
    magnum%20pi%20ferrari.jpeg
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    DaySleeper wrote:
    That guy was also brand new and made a thread pretty much right away. That is recipe for disaster in any of the forums here and would continue to be the case in this hypothetical new forum.
    It's only a recipe for disaster when it's a bad thread. Yes, about 90% of threads made by new people are bad by our standards, but we don't jump all over someone's thread just because they're new.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    It wasn't great but it sure as hell wasn't terrible. Plus there's this:
    Don't assassinate threads.
    You don't like a particular topic? Don't post in it. You don't get to dictate the topics of coversation here, that's the mod's job. If you simply must whine, use the chat thread.

What I'm really saying is D&D would maybe be a better forum if the assassination rule is followed. I mean if the thread is terrible let the mods kill it. Don't have users flame a guy because it's totally unproductive and it helps no one. If you have nothing to contribute, don't post.

I think.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    It wasn't great but it sure as hell wasn't terrible.
    By the standards of D&D, it was terrible. It was a Livejournal post, and not a particularly good one (sorry, MJ), followed by "discuss."
    Plus there's this:
    Don't assassinate threads.
    You don't like a particular topic? Don't post in it. You don't get to dictate the topics of coversation here, that's the mod's job. If you simply must whine, use the chat thread.
    What I'm really saying is D&D would maybe be a better forum if the assassination rule is followed. I mean if the thread is terrible let the mods kill it. Don't have users flame a guy because it's totally unproductive and it helps no one. If you have nothing to contribute, don't post.

I think.
    Meh. The lesson sticks a little better, this way.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2007
    Him being new had fuck and all to do with it. He made two other threads before that one, and they did just fine. Then he decided to copy a bunch of crap from "his journal" and call it a thread. We expect threads to be coherent. A topic doesn't get to stay just because somebody threw a lot of text together.

And he tried to make that same thread again, but in English this time, and it's sitting there unlocked and purty.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    Javen wrote:

Yeah, back when it was called Everything Else.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    FyreWulff wrote:
    Javen wrote:

Yeah, back when it was called Everything Else.

ohh... you mean when I was a mod, and actively encouraged forumers to take a hand in moderation and rip the shit out of people for making stupid threads and comments?

Or, for the month or two when it was Evan running rampent?

It is a far far friendlier place now, for everything but religion threads, than it ever was when it was called EE.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    No, back when it was a forum where you could have on-topic chat threads without the Wild West of SE++ but also not the hardassness of D&D

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    FyreWulff wrote:
    No, back when it was a forum where you could have on-topic chat threads without the Wild West of SE++ but also not the hardassness of D&D
    it's not that hardassed.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    you mean, like, mega threads?

redx on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    redx wrote:

Ohnoez! The M word has been unleashed!

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    FyreWulff wrote:
    it's not that hardassed.

Shhh, you'll wreck your forum-cred.

But seriously, if someone wants to make a thread about whatever and wants it to be on topic, D&D works fine. Hell, we had a fairly long and on topic thread about candy bars for christ's sake.

Any thread that starts with a decent OP on a non retarded subject should do alright.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2007
    what's wrong with the wild west?

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    redx wrote:

Ohnoez! The M word has been unleashed!

well, It's just that I've been a reg of that particular forum, and that is the closest thing I recall to "on-topic chat threads." They had a lot of bullshit(chatting) in them.

In earlier times, well, threads could wander more from thier original topic, but they wern't really supposed to be chat threads. It was more of a cumulative error kinda thing. That's died down a little bit, and honestly, it makes posting kinda easier, because you don't have to read so much of the thread. It is going to pretty much be the same topic as the OP. It is still there, but not nearly to the same degree.

I'm mainly trying to figure out what the hell he is talking about.
    Personally, it makes me kinda tired trying to keep up, and I don't get enough recognition, so it doesn't help to inflate my ego much.

redx on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2007
    you wanna see a thread stay on topic for seventy or eighty pages?

talk about your ex girlfriend's tits

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007

Hell, I had a thread about semen stay on topic for 100 pages.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Kusuguttai wrote:

Hell, I had a thread about semen stay on topic for 100 pages.

That's because you chose a subject of deep interest to everybody in SE++.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2007

I need it to be at least wild wild

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited February 2007
    We already have two general use subforums.

Tube on
This discussion has been closed.