As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

White People Are [CHAT]

• Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You guys don't get it, probably because you've never played on an organized team, but there are things that you try to accomplish in amateur sports that go above and beyond just winning.

What this coach did was terrible. He might not have deserved to get fired but he should have at least felt bad about it.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Res wrote: »
    gundam470 wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    I didn't say drafted, I said competitive. I don't think it's fair these girls should be tasked to put on the fucking harlem globe trotters game because the school they are playing is not in the same league as them. That's bullshit and borders on harrison bergeron.
    I don't have a problem with this team blowing out the other team, that's just going to happen. It's the way that they did that is disgraceful.

They broke the secret rules.

Yes, exactly. Fucking bingo.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    mrflippy wrote: »
    While we're at it, I think we should stop all those guys from waving stuff in the stands when people are shooting free throws and other such things.
    Sorry, I don't listen to the opinions of people who abandon their WoW guild.

:cry:

mrflippy on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I imagine the winning team would feel awful about the win no matter what the difference in score was

So the bad team is setting up a situation in which they waste everyone's time and then make everyone else feel like dicks

Elendil on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You guys don't get it, probably because you've never played on an organized team, but there are things that you try to accomplish in amateur sports that go above and beyond just winning.

What this coach did was terrible. He might not have deserved to get fired but he should have at least felt bad about it.

I agree them cheering and egging on the 100 point spread was prolly a little much

as long as he let all the kids on his team play I have no problem with it

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I didn't say drafted, I said competitive. I don't think it's fair these girls should be tasked to put on the fucking harlem globe trotters game because the school they are playing is not in the same league as them. That's bullshit and borders on harrison bergeron.
    I don't have a problem with this team blowing out the other team, that's just going to happen. It's the way that they did that is disgraceful.

You didn't help yourself by agreeing with him. I think you missed the point of that.

There shouldn't be any secret rules.

Ludious on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So who wants to hook me up with a new sig?
    No, because your sig is just fine don't you dare change it.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Ludious wrote: »
    You didn't help yourself by agreeing with him. I think you missed the point of that.

Sportsmanship doesn't show up in the rule book and they fucking stomped all over it. That was my point exactly.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009

But there always are. My mother, for instance, has tons of secret rules. I learn new ones all the time.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Elendil wrote: »
    I imagine the winning team would feel awful about the win no matter what the difference in score was

So the bad team is setting up a situation in which they waste everyone's time and then make everyone else feel like dicks

But see its ok because the other team should know you don't win win, you just win. And don't cheer when you are winning that is reserved for when the point score is closer. No smirking either.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    OK, I'm actually going to step away from this now before I get more upset. Honestly, I'm starting to feel ill.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sigh ok, I'm done with this conversation. Let's all agree to disagree on this one guys.

Ludious on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Okay, there's some serious misconceptions going on here.

We don't know for sure why the coach was fired. What we do know is the girls who lost, and their coach, didn't complain. It was the reaction to the news story that got the ball rolling. Several of the girls on the losing side were playing in their first game. Likely their only game.

Anyway, there's a difference between running up the score, having some class, and just giving up. Jesus Christ, you guys act like there's no middle ground. Once the game was at 59-0 at half time, they should have let up the pressure, but the crowd was pushing them to score 100 points. I've seen NHL games that are blowouts where the winning team stops pushing and that's professional hockey, not an amateur high school league. It IS fucking classless to run up the score on a team that's been beaten already.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Guys, you're missing the important part of the story.

They live in Dallas. They're all winners.

Quid on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Quid wrote: »

They live in Dallas. They're all losers.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Nova_C wrote: »

We don't know for sure why the coach was fired. What we do know is the girls who lost, and their coach, didn't complain. It was the reaction to the news story that got the ball rolling. Several of the girls on the losing side were playing in their first game. Likely their only game.

Anyway, there's a difference between running up the score, having some class, and just giving up. Jesus Christ, you guys act like there's no middle ground. Once the game was at 59-0 at half time, they should have let up the pressure, but the crowd was pushing them to score 100 points. I've seen NHL games that are blowouts where the winning team stops pushing. It IS fucking classless to run up the score on a team that's been beaten already.

Why?

edit: Darnit I said I was done. No seriously. I'm done. You don't even have to answer that.

Ludious on
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    I am sick. I am very sick. I kind of want some coffee but the only place that has good coffee nearby is over a block away and I don't want to walk or ride the bus while I'm so sick.

:(

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Anyway, there's a difference between running up the score, having some class, and just giving up. Jesus Christ, you guys act like there's no middle ground. Once the game was at 59-0 at half time, they should have let up the pressure, but the crowd was pushing them to score 100 points. I've seen NHL games that are blowouts where the winning team stops pushing. It IS fucking classless to run up the score on a team that's been beaten already.

Why?
    The management would like to note that this is the second time you've continued the discussion after saying you were through with it.

Edit: *cough* Well don't I feel like an ass now...

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Why?

Because its less insulting for the other team to treat them like children and not play. I mean I know when I'm down big the other team handing me the ball or just passing it around certainly helps out my self esteem.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2009

They live in Dallas. They're all losers.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So who wants to hook me up with a new sig?
    No, because your sig is just fine don't you dare change it.

<3

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm a fatty with a tiny dick and poop on myself. My boyfriend nexus is too and we make out together to feel better about our fatty poopy selves.

Quid on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    p.s. fuck that. maybe it'll give the losing team some incentive not to be horrible the next time they play.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sportsmanship is being graceful in defeat and victory.

Gosh it's like some of you have never been on the recieving end of a solid trouncing before.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    p.s. fuck that. maybe it'll give the losing team some incentive not to be horrible the next time they play.
    Yeah, I'm sure that all that's keeping them from being good is that they don't feel like it.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh, James, hi!

I, um, I had fun last night. *blush* We should do it again sometime.

hahaha

Well I still have about half the Wrymrest quests. Right now I'm going to try to solo Stratholme, so I've been collecting jungle remedies. You can tag along if you can cure diseases :P

James on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    There was a game my senior year of high school where it was getting out of hand late in the game. The other team scored to cut the lead to like 17 points maybe but with less than a minute left there really wasn't much hope. The other team lined up to onside, and the kicker ended up kicking it pretty badly and it went straight to one of our players and he ran it in untouched into the endzone.

After the game, the first thing our coach did was walk over to the other coach and apologize to him for that last TD. He felt bad because he didn't tell our guys to take a knee should they have a chance to pick up the ball.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Gooey wrote: »

Gosh it's like some of you have never been on the recieving end of a solid trouncing before.

I was man, my little league team played great in our league got into the state "playoffs" and lost 18-0. Hell they were up 10 and beaned our best hitter to take him out of the game.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I'm going to shoot you in the back. It is an inevitability. Like the sun rising or the tides. I am going to murder you.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I'm a fatty with a tiny dick and poop on myself.

I am so witty.

@James: I dunno, I'm thinking I might try to get some of my own quests done today.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009

Indeed. In pro-sports winning matters a lot, but in amateur sports the objective is for everyone to have fun and get better through competition, and no one is doing either of those things when one team utterly destroys the other. Except anyone on the first team who is a total cock, but then maybe they should switch to Counterstrike or something.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    You know what never let up on me even when I lost a lot?

That Roger Rabbit game for the NES.

I don't think I ever even got what I was supposed to DO. I managed to throw a rose to Jessica Rabbit and drive into toon town. That's about it.

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

I was man, my little league team played great in our league got into the state "playoffs" and lost 18-0. Hell they were up 10 and beaned our best hitter to take him out of the game.

...you don't think that's a douchebag move?

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Why?

edit: Darnit I said I was done. No seriously. I'm done. You don't even have to answer that.

It shows a lack of respect for the opposing team. It's poor sportsmanship. Fuck, Canada's womens hockey team got demonized by the press at the last winter Olympics because of a blow out in the first round. No one is bitching that the weaker team lost, or was kept scoreless. They're bitching because the other team wasn't trying to win, since they'd already accomplished that, but were trying to show just how much better than the other team they were. It was intentional humiliation.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    James wrote: »
    Oh, James, hi!

I, um, I had fun last night. *blush* We should do it again sometime.

hahaha

Well I still have about half the Wrymrest quests. Right now I'm going to try to solo Stratholme, so I've been collecting jungle remedies. You can tag along if you can cure diseases :P

I can run it with you later if you want.

Disease cleansing totem is pretty nifty.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

...you don't think that's a douchebag move?

He was kind of a dick so it didn't bother me he got hurt. Though I did feel a little bad when his abusive father was yelling at him after the game. Ahh the memories.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Shut your stinkin hole gooey!

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    You know what never let up on me even when I lost a lot?

That Roger Rabbit game for the NES.

I don't think I ever even got what I was supposed to DO. I managed to throw a rose to Jessica Rabbit and drive into toon town. That's about it.

That car was so awesome

All I remember was giving Jessica a rose and Valentine's punching animation was ridiculous.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, it's definitely time to switch to WoW before I get sucked further into this argument.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Here's a new breathing hole, gooey!

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
This discussion has been closed.