As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX 09 Forum member badge holders

kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge CreatorLondon UKRegistered User regular
edited September 2009 in PAX Archive
If you're a member of these forums and are planning to go to PAX '09, then you have a chance of getting one of the PAX forumite badges that I dished out last year. Sadly distribution wasn't 100% and they weren't too compatible with the clasp that is used with PAX lanyards.

This year will be different however. Distribution will be via a multitude of PA forum members including those taking part in the West Coast Train Trip and the Cross Country Super Trip. They will also be more numerous but still have a little bit of cache attached to them.

I'm working on a design for this year's badge and have so far stuck with a variant of last years badge only with the PAX 09 logo embied within it. Click on the spoiler button below to view them:
Version 1 FRONT:

PAX_09_PA_Forum_Badge_Front_v1.jpg

Version 1 BACK:

PAX_09_PA_Forum_Badge_back_v1.jpg

Version 2 FRONT

PAX_09_PA_Forum_Badge_Front_v2.jpg

Version 2 BACK:

PAX_09_PA_Forum_Badge_back_v2.jpg

I plan to place the badges within plastic holders as opposed to laminating them, as I did last year.

Thoughts/opinions/suggestions are welcome. Post them here.

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

kropotkin on

• emorimikuemorimiku Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm going to vote for version 1 since it's along the same lines as the badges from last year.

emorimiku on
    <emorimiku> j0z1e ... physically emotionally or mentally?
    <j0z1e> ummmm, all three? at once?
  • Rogue_hunterRogue_hunter Breaks Through Brick Walls Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Remember, the actual PAX badges are horizontal. Are these meant to be in the badge holder that comes with the pass, or separate from that?

And will you be going the extra mile to include forum names on there? Even a blank white box so we can write our own in would work. Though, it would be cooler to have it already printed on there...

EDIT: oh yeah, the first one does look better

Rogue_hunter on
    PlayStation Network: Rogue_hunter
    Steam: Rogue_hunter
    Games for Windows Live: Roguality
    Google+
    Twitter
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Putting my vote in for #1. Nice photoshop work ;) The render clouds filter comes in handy.

As far as making them work with the current lanyards, all you have to do is find a hole bunch that does those long skinny holes. You can usually find one at an office supply store, though it might be special order. (Not expensive, but it takes a week or two and a couple trips to the store.) ... or do it the easy way and find one online.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I just want my name on it too. :-(

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'd agree that the first one looks better. Here's a suggestion, though. Replace the forums URL with a blank spot for us to write out names. All of us forumers already know how to get here anyways, and having our name large, on the front, will help people recognize others that they only know by screen name.

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • AzazelAzazel Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Or just shrink down the text a bit and add in another line for names.

Azazel on
  • HaikufrenzyHaikufrenzy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    What surprises me about the member badges is a lack of space up front to put what your username is...

I don't know, seems like a no brainer to me.

Haikufrenzy on
    RazorbackKing.png
  • kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yes I shall be placing a name slot at the bottom, I just left it out of the image. Sorry about that.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    YAY! I didn't get one last year

MetaverseNomad on
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I am very excited of the return of the Badge. '08 is currently in my corner at work.

And yes, blank area to place our handle is an excellent idea.

EDIT TO ADD

Silly me.

Version One.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Definitely version 1. We could attach our buttoneering buttons to it too, but having an open spot to just right in our forum name is good too.

Also, where do you find the PAX09 logo?

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • spydeyspydey Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Version 1.

spydey on
    cp468kw5.gif
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wow, they look fantastic Kropotkin! =) I like Version 1 as well =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • MrBartokomousMrBartokomous Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Both are nice, but I learn a little more towards version 1.

MrBartokomous on
  • eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Agreed on version 1 and it will be awesome to have a space for our forum names this year.

Last year I just used one of my buttons to attach it to my lanyard and later my shirt. Served the duel purpose of showing that I am a buttoneer and a member of the forums. :)

eye-shuh on
  • redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I concur with the idea of having a spot to write your name in on.

redhalo on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't like how they're 2/3 times bigger than the PAX badge. I'd Rather it be half the size of a PAX badge, with most of the space bing the white box to write your name in, and inside the margin is where it says it's a PA forum thing.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited January 2009
    Thanks for all the feedback all. My responses are as follows:

1) There will be a place to put your name on underneath the badge. I haven't shown it on the images, sorry about that.

2) Version 1 is the outstanding winner. I can see why to be honest.

3) The badges will be approximately only twice as long as the official PAX one. They will be differentiated by the fact that they are portrait as opposed to landscape.

I'm considering adding a lanyard to the badge with the forum URL on it. Thoughts on that idea? Lemme know :)

Thanks again for the comments, makes my life easier.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The lanyard is an interesting idea, maybe with the addition of a PAX09 logo on it as well as the URL, or something along those lines. Just keep in mind the PAX badges come with a lanyard too, and I personally might not want to wear two, or choose between the two. (I would probably wear both anyway, but it may still be something to consider)

Aside from that, it's all good!

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sorry man, the stretched text really fucking irks me. It did last year too. Do you mind if I knock up an alternate design?

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Coldbrew wrote: »
    The lanyard is an interesting idea, maybe with the addition of a PAX09 logo on it as well as the URL, or something along those lines. Just keep in mind the PAX badges come with a lanyard too, and I personally might not want to wear two, or choose between the two. (I would probably wear both anyway, but it may still be something to consider)

Aside from that, it's all good!

Hey, last year multiple lanyards were practically required, what with all the buttons! :D

I think the lanyard is an interesting idea tho, like you said.

Also, I vote for option 1, though maybe update the list a bit closer to PAX, and maybe randomize it again, so the backing is different than last years? Maybe even angle it the opposite way. Just ideas :)

Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
  • HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I was so bumed I didn't get one last year, when I saw them. My buddy showed that they had formers' names on the back(my name being right in the middle of all the names) I wanted to get one. But then told me just BYOC was getting them. So I said 'fuck' and went to play Rock Band 2.

But now, this year, since you'll being working with the WCTT. Awesome. I hope to get one this year.And for feed on the card itself. I like Op. 1 way better. Even if you do or don't use the lanyard, try and place the forum URL under white box. But in Yellow, that way the URL hits the eye at the same time as they look at the person's name.

Highfire on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Highfire wrote: »
    I was so bumed I didn't get one last year, when I saw them. My buddy showed that they had formers' names on the back(my name being right in the middle of all the names) I wanted to get one. But then told me just BYOC was getting them. So I said 'fuck' and went to play Rock Band 2.

Uh if anybody says anything like that (about BYOC getting certian things) come ask me for confirmation :P That was false. But I could see how someone got the impression. Since there was a whole row and a half dedicated to the forumers (like 40something people).

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2009
    3 rows, i thought ( a table in a half)

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I am once again proud to have my name front and center. The badge looks sweet bro!

This is my first post in the forums in a long time so I want to say "Hi" to a few people.

eye-shuh, I can't wait to bask in the warmth of your smile again.
    Moe, you watch too many videos on your 360. You should play some games with me sometime.
    VT, I am looking forward to this year's Pre-PAX activities.

And to the rest of you, I extend a heartfelt greeting in the form of The Simpson's Dr. Nick:

HI EVERYBODY!

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
    edited January 2009
    Yay! Haven't seen you in a while, how's life been treating Mentok? =)

Nomad is going to be fearless leader of the Magical Mystery Tour this year, because I'm going on the CCST as I promised to Moe. =) But I'll definitely be swinging into town with the CCST in time for the dinner and the Pub crawl! =) Speaking of which, join Hufflepuff. =)

We're puttin' the band back together!

VThornheart on
  • LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I got skipped over on last year's badge, so I just wanna be on it! lol

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
    edited January 2009
    Idea, just like the button case, I can volunteer my services to distribute these. Would help to have a central place for people to report to so they can pick it up rather than trying to find wandering people.

BigRed on
    edited January 2009
    Woot, you rock my socks Red =) That sounds like a good plan =)

VThornheart on
    edited January 2009
    These are all excellent suggestions. My sum up for how things will be changed:

1) The names on the back will not be the same this year!. Apologies for not making that at all clear, I only put the old names in by way of illustration. Last year your name got on if you had an input in getting VTH to PAX '08. This year I will be using another criteria seeing as we won't need to carry out such a rescue mission. At least I hope anyway. I'm mulling over how it's going to work but I'm focussing on those that are actually planning to attend PAX'09 :)

2) I agree with Willeth in that the writing was annoying in that it was distorted. The Commonwealth one was a little easier on the eye but will not be making an appearance this year I'm sad to say. This is due to distribution problems.

3) Speaking of distribution, I plan to contact members of the WCTT and CCS to ensure they get badges posted to them prior to their departure. This will happen around a month or so before PAX. For those being sane and flying in (like me), I'll be sending them to volunteers with a view to distributing them to people at PAX and/or at pre-PAX events

4) Lanyards do not seem to be popular. The benefit is that you don't have to clip the badge behind the PAX pass. The negative is that you have two things dangling around your neck which could confuse enforcers. To confuse an enforcer is no mean feat is it?

Thanks for the feed-back. More is welcome and I'm working on a 3rd design now which I'll post up soon.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

edited January 2009
    We may yet need a rescue mission! I think LewieP and his mom may not be able to come this year unless we can find a way. The trouble is that since they're in the UK, we'd need to find a contest or something that allows UK residents. =( =(

VThornheart on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I can't come either - looks like there'll be no emissary from SavyGamer this year, unfortunately. Unstable economy and no job, etc.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
    edited January 2009
    =( =(

VThornheart on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2009
    We're losing the British contingent

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• specspec Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    #1 looks better. I was really happy I got one last year and I hope to get one again this year. :)

spec on
    edited January 2009
    BigRed could be a good distributor, and I would volunteer too, but I'll be one of the people roaming around, with a camcorder and things... Speaking of the button case though, think that might be displayed somewhere for viewing this year? I want a close-up! :P

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
    edited January 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

Whilst we may lose 2 casualties I actually convinced someone to come who also hails from the Sceptred Isle, so it's not all bad.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    We may yet need a rescue mission! I think LewieP and his mom may not be able to come this year unless we can find a way. The trouble is that since they're in the UK, we'd need to find a contest or something that allows UK residents. =( =(

If Lewie's mother is well enough to make the trip and has the energy to survive the show, I would
    like to see them again.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
    edited January 2009
    Coldbrew wrote: »
    BigRed could be a good distributor, and I would volunteer too, but I'll be one of the people roaming around, with a camcorder and things... Speaking of the button case though, think that might be displayed somewhere for viewing this year? I want a close-up! :P

Uh it was displayed for viewing last year, for nearly all of sunday.

I doubt last years case will be there this year.

BigRed on
    edited January 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

Ack, are you not coming either Kropotkin?

Seriously, if we have to make a little raft and float you, LewieP, and LPM over on it for this trip, we'll do it. =)

VThornheart on
This discussion has been closed.