As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Just bought Home Theater System, need help connecting everything.

JavenJaven Registered User regular
So I just bought one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BRAVIA-Theater-System-DAVHDX576WF/dp/B0015HPYF8/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1233016880&sr=8-1 . Thank you Circuit City Liquidation Sale.

Anyway, I'd like to be able to find a way to hook up all of my devices to this, for obvious reasons. The list includes:

My TV: This one
Xbox360 w HDMI port
Wii
PS2

Basically I'm trying to connect the dot my way into how I could go about doing that, and I'm not really seeing anything. I don't care how convoluted the end result is or how many cables I need to go and buy.

Javen on

• Options
    edited January 2009
    You can look up the specifications on the amazon links, but to make it easier:

The theater system has 1 HDMI port, 1 component, one composite, one SAT/CABLE audio, and one coaxial

The TV has 3 HDMI, 2 component, a composite, a DVI, and a coaxial.

Javen on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This may sound creepy, but I think you said in SE++ that it didn't come with a manual? So let's get that out of the way first: http://www.docs.sony.com/release/DAVHDX277WC-279W-576WF.pdf

What I would do is use HDMI from the 360 to the system, and then HDMI from the system to your TV. That's probably the most important. If you have HDTV service and want to enjoy 5.1 audio on the channels that have it you may need to buy an optical cable or digital COAX to run from the TV to the system, but I'd test it with just the HDMI first to see if it works.

The Wii doesn't do anything other than Dolby ProLogic, but I believe the PS2 has optical out so you can use your judgement there.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    From what I see on the internet about that system it's probably not possible. What you bought is a "DVD Home Theatre System", which means it probably only outputs surround sound for the integrated DVD player and only supports some SD/stereo sources aside from that. To get surround sound out of any of your components you will need to input digital audio (coax, optical, or HDMI) to the receiver. If you only want SD/stereo switching you can probably just plug everything into the back wherever it fits and then plug the receiver into your TV and switch by setting the correct input.

One thing you may be able to do is hook your 360 directly to your TV with HDMI and then optical audio to the receiver, so you are sending video to the TV and audio to the receiver.

midgetspy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I did go online to get the doc, I just figured I'd get more direct answers then trying to troubleshoot with a 100+ page PDF

Javen on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Javen wrote: »
    I did go online to get the doc, I just figured I'd get more direct answers then trying to troubleshoot with a 100+ page PDF

Ah, sorry.

Looking at it some more, I'm not sure if this thing will actually do any decoding at all. I was mistaken and thought there was a HDMI input but there doesn't seem to be, though I may've missed it. In that case, this may not get you anything other than surround output from the DVD player.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, it seems the reciever only handles audio in, not video. Which makes it really not a reciever at all.

Javen on