As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Robin, of Batman and Robin

1235»

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I like the new costume. The green always looked kind of misplaced.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2009
    Tim's new costume is the most stylish costume ever (ever)

His old costume was good except for the belt

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I just think the new costume looks like he's stealing bits and bobs off Batman's outfit when he isn't looking, and there's way too much red.

And the hood thingy he picked up looked retarded, but that's gone now, right?

At least they kept the yellow lining of the cape and the toggles. (I kind of miss the randomly padded gloves.)

Legba on
  • Options
    PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    does anyone have sufficient photoshop-fu to recolor the older image with the new colors? and like, put the old one over the new skyline? i think that would look best.

PantheraOnca on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Legba wrote: »
    I don't think it's drawing ability. Some artists are far better than others, that's just par the course, and has little to do with time - although some older art choices look retarded these days - random pouches and mullets I'm looking at you.

However, colouring techniques have improved exponentially with the years. Comics do look far better now than ever before, and it can be hard to separate the line drawing from the overall effect.

As a personal aside, I much prefer Tim Drake's original costume to what he's wearing today.

His current costume is more functional, and an homage to Superboy. It is vastly superior to the green tights.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Superboy? How so?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Superboy? How so?

That's why it's completely red and black. Except for the yellow, which is Robin.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    When the heroes appear at Superboy's memorial on the first anniversary of his death, Robin is wearing a new costume using colors of black and red from Superboy's last uniform

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The black and red are an homage to Mike McKone's Superboy with the black and red t-shirt. You'd think if Robin was going to use elements of Kon's costume in his, he'd pick one of several that weren't just jeans and a t-shirt. Of course, Tim's current costume is also a callback to his DCAU costume.

Personally, I prefer his current outfit to the original, but still think it could be better.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, it's hard to see Red and Black as an homage when he's always worn those colors.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, it's hard to see Red and Black as an homage when he's always worn those colors.

The black he wore in his costume was, what, a circle to put the R on? Now his costume is almost 50/50 black and red. His most prominent colors were green and yellow and red... Superboy, who's only "costume (second)" was a black and red t-shirt and a pair of jeans, dies, Robin disappears, and when he shows up at his memorial, he's dressed in red and black.

I mean, I see your point, but Superboy was his best friend... it's hard for me to see his costume as anything other then an homage.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    Sparticus773Sparticus773 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sentry wrote: »

The black he wore in his costume was, what, a circle to put the R on? Now his costume is almost 50/50 black and red. His most prominent colors were green and yellow and red... Superboy, who's only "costume (second)" was a black and red t-shirt and a pair of jeans, dies, Robin disappears, and when he shows up at his memorial, he's dressed in red and black.

I mean, I see your point, but Superboy was his best friend... it's hard for me to see his costume as anything other then an homage.

Well sure, but I kinda hope that it isn't JUSt homage, because that may mean that once robin is completely over conner's death OR if conner ever resurfaces in the DCU, than robin may pickup a different look (wonder girl) or go back to the one he had. Although i can't ever see him ever going back.

Sparticus773 on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    I have no problem with further costume changes over time.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2009
    The "homage" to Superboy is just a throwaway line to explain it in the comic

I'm sure when whoever designed the costume (Freddie Williams II?) thought it up he wasn't even thinking of Superboy

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I agree with you and Keith. The decrease of green and increase of black in his costume over time has been a fairly steady progression.

Just as Munch pointed out, it's also not a new concept to use just red and black costumes for robin's costume.

It may be a nice little 'side-note' but it's too much of a stretch for me to think that editorial/artist/writer's decision to make the color change a subtle nod to superboy as anything more than an afterthought.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Keith wrote: »
    The "homage" to Superboy is just a throwaway line to explain it in the comic

I'm sure when whoever designed the costume (Freddie Williams II?) thought it up he wasn't even thinking of Superboy

I'm sure that's true. It's also true that it's only a drawing on a piece of paper. I was referring to it "in-comic" not as some kind of meta-artistic gesture.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    ChomplinChomplin Not 100% a dick Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, the new costume is pretty good. I miss the green, but still, it's pretty good.

By the way the burns thing was really surprising and all when it was shown, but it healed ridiculously fast, I really thought he was gonna need magic or surgery or something to get rid of that.

Chomplin on
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I actually just caught up on the last issue and I was like "Wait... what happened to his burns?" Did they explain that at all? Maybe it was in the issue previous and I just forgot.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    fabian posted somewhere that there will be an explanation offered next issue

Rans on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    come on Lazarus Pit!!

*crosses fingers*

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    A lazurus pit seems like a somewhat extreme solution to some burns

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    A lazurus pit seems like a somewhat extreme solution to some burns

Nonsense. Do it fast, do it right.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Fabian likes to reference old stuff so it's gonna end up being that Tim still has a little bit of the super-speed drug in his system (that he got when he was in Europe/Russia, i forget which) and it accelerated his healing factor

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    He really was the best possible replacement for Chuck Dixon. They seem to be pretty similar. He's staying on to write one of the new series that comes out of this, right?

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    He's writing the Azrael mini and the Gotham Gazette one-shot

Who knows what he's doing after Battle for the Cowl

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    My bad. Wrong thread.

Instead, here is a collection of Robin designs from a lady over at Project Roofop.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My bad. Wrong thread.

Instead, here is a collection of Robin designs from a lady over at Project Roofop.

I like most of the designs, except the sneakers in everything.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    yeah, they're pretty fun designs. I'd like to see them in a "DC hires independent comic-creators to take a stab at their properties out-of-continuity"

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    yeah, they're pretty fun designs. I'd like to see them in a "DC hires independent comic-creators to take a stab at their properties out-of-continuity"

Have you ever read Bizarro World or Bizarro Comics? Both are collections of short stories by independent talent.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    yeah i have the purple hardcover actually. the first one i think.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    mugginns wrote: »
    I actually just caught up on the last issue and I was like "Wait... what happened to his burns?" Did they explain that at all? Maybe it was in the issue previous and I just forgot.

well, the new issue ends two weeks after the burns... maybe a little longer. How long does it take burns to heal?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    mugginns wrote: »

well, the new issue ends two weeks after the burns... maybe a little longer. How long does it take burns to heal?

And shouldn't he be permanently bald in places?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'm still voting for Lazarus Pit... didn't he take a sample from the one Ras dangled in front of him?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    He dumped the sample.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    maybe some stuck to his boot.

meh... I'll just wait.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    My bad. Wrong thread.

I love the Spoiler and Red Hood ones, Dick's are weird. The outfis aren't even that weird, just his poses and face. The Robin one looks like he's about to bow while swishing his cape dramatically.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    My bad. Wrong thread.

I love the Spoiler and Red Hood ones, Dick's are weird. The outfis aren't even that weird, just his poses and face. The Robin one looks like he's about to bow while swishing his cape dramatically.

yeah, I'm not a fan. I think they almost all look uniformly terrible.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I liked how the early Tim Drake one and the Spoiler and Red Hood ones look a lot more improvised than the others, although Spoiler should probably be more than a mask and belt.

The pervading presence of Converse is irritating though.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My bad. Wrong thread.

They are absolutely terrible. Pretty much a collection of hipsters with capes and goggles.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Iroh wrote: »
    My bad. Wrong thread.

They are absolutely terrible. Pretty much a collection of hipsters with capes and goggles.

robin-todd.jpg

I like this one because it looks like Robin is one pimp-cane shy of bitchslapping Spoiler for not bringing him his money.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote: